The Bat or "Top Gun" to close next?

Kifranatic

1 minute ago, JbGbat7 said:

I think that a total retheme and name change might be why Fof made the teowawki list. Probably proximity also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polaris perhaps? I was thinking maybe the theme could be that people are sent out to look for supplies or important things for the Orion plan if needed but they run into disaster on the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Polaris perhaps? I was thinking maybe the theme could be that people are sent out to look for supplies or important things for the Orion plan if needed but they run into disaster on the way.

What if Polaris is for the rumored polar coaster going to Cedar Point? The name sounds very similar to polar. 

• Like 1

I am not sure there would be a rename to Polaris, or that we would see that name without a number after it.  If I remember correctly from the decoding thread, part of the Polaris copyright was rejected so that KI would not have been able to sell any Merch along with this name as it would be too similar to the Polaris company with the sport vehicles.  It was my suspicion upon reading that in the earlier threads that this is why the coaster was named Orion instead of Polaris to begin with.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

Not even done scraping up Vortex bones and everyone is trying predict what is leaving next. Lol, just enjoy what you have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree with enjoying the here and now, and I don't want KIC members to get stuck on the past and future so much that they can not enjoy what the park has to give them now. Respectively we are a KI enthusiast forum where we can dream of and discuss anything regarding the past, present, and future of our beloved park. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Why is everyone so down on Congo Falls? 

A very easy ride to operate, one can assume it takes little $$ to upkeep, manpower, etc.

A wet ride on the side of the park that has none...perfect for hot summer days

Quick, easy ride for hot and busy summer days.  Can be closed on cold days with good reason. 

Small footprint.

Why on earth would KI remove it?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

A very easy ride to operate, one can assume it takes little $$ to upkeep, manpower, etc.

Quick, easy ride for hot and busy summer days.  Can be closed on cold days with good reason. 

Small footprint.

Maintenance low ridership, costly to operate 

35 minutes ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

Small footprint.

4 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Maintenance low ridership, costly to operate 

"It reminded me of Americana/Lesourdsville Lake's "Raging Thunder" flume.  Just a lift, then a drop.  It just seemed "trashy" to me."

52 minutes ago, YOULLBEBACK said:

Small footprint.

I rode it last year on a 90 degree day and did not even get wet. That ride only gets you wet near the front. 

I personally don't want to see Congo Falls go since its one of three water rides at Kings Island (excluding Soak City).

But I will say that speculation of this kind is dangerous. If we just talk about how much we don't like The Bat, chances are it may go. Look at what happened to Vortex. I think another part of why Vortex is being removed is because it was having bad publicity as a ride. I won't go into much further details than this, but I really do believe that speculation of this kind is really dangerous. 

Going along with what @Oldschool75 and @IndyGuy4KI said, we should be focusing on what we have now and saying goodbye to what is leaving than just discussing what is going to be removed next.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I personally don't want to see Congo Falls go since its one of three water rides at Kings Island (excluding Soak City).

But I will say that speculation of this kind is dangerous. If we just talk about how much we don't like The Bat, chances are it may go. Look at what happened to Vortex. I think another part of why Vortex is being removed is because it was having bad publicity as a ride. I won't go into much further details than this, but I really do believe that speculation of this kind is really dangerous. 

Going along with what @Oldschool75 and @IndyGuy4KI said, we should be focusing on what we have now and saying goodbye to what is leaving than just discussing what is going to be removed next.

I don't think it's really about the publicity. I think it's more Ridership vs maintenance cost. If you look closely at recent pictures of Vortex you can see it was welded up literally everywhere. The steel clearly wasn't in the best shape. The upkeep cost most likely just became too much to justify vs the ridership. I'm sure the park would have loved to keep a classic, but money is the real factor here. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bdd127 said:

I don't think it's really about the publicity. I think it's more Ridership vs maintenance cost. If you look closely at recent pictures of Vortex you can see it was welded up literally everywhere. The steel clearly wasn't in the best shape. The upkeep cost most likely just became too much to justify vs the ridership. I'm sure the park would have loved to keep a classic, but money is the real factor here. 

Yeah, I agree. But I was stating that publicity is probably another aspect as to why it's leaving.

I honestly don't want to see The Bat close, although that would be a great area to put in a new ride. I think the next ride to be removed would be Invertigo, I just have a feeling since it included in the Orion teaser back in the summertime, Vortex and Firehawk was also featured on this poster.

• Like 1

The King Cobra thread has a 1999 video posted of the KI roller coasters, and I was reminded of the trees that used to be around the Top Gun ride!  I rode Top Gun once around '98 or 99 and loved it.  When I rode The Bat in 2015, I knew it was the same ride, but I remembered it being SO much better in '99, but I had NO logical explanation as to why.  Seeing that video answered the question.  Top Gun was more mysterious, because you couldn't see the entire ride.  It is a shame the trees had to come down.

Maybe everyone else already knew this, but I feel SO enlightened now!

On February 12, 2020 at 1:03 PM, YOULLBEBACK said:

A wet ride on the side of the park that has none...perfect for hot summer day

Plus, it has the splash bridge which is a great feature. Personally, I'd like to see it stay. 

To tell you the truth, I don't want to see anything go. Especially since there's space elsewhere not currently occupied by rides, including the Tomb Raider, Action Theater, Vortex, and there's even some Son of Beast land left to work with. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joshua said:

Plus, it has the splash bridge which is a great feature. Personally, I'd like to see it stay. 

To tell you the truth, I don't want to see anything go. Especially since there's space elsewhere not currently occupied by rides, including the Tomb Raider, Action Theater, Vortex, and there's even some Son of Beast land left to work with. 

That's not even including the Lion Country Safari land that's all grown over. (image courtesy of Bansheeback)

552961211.png

7 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

That's not even including the Lion Country Safari land that's all grown over. (image courtesy of Bansheeback)

552961211.png

I almost forgot about that! If you look at a satellite image, you can see the watering hole (present on the image above) and one of the (I believe this is what it was used for) animal sheds. 

My main question is where would they start the coaster if they were going to use that Lion Country safari land. The thing is, we'll likely have to see things go to be able to build new things since I believe it helps balance the costs and doesn't add too much more in terms of maintenance and/or labor costs. It just makes sense imo to take out rides that aren't popular and/or cost too much to maintain and replace them with new better things.  

As much as I enjoy a ride or two on The Bat, I do see it leaving in the next 10 years or so. I don't see it being the next to leave but due to its location and such, I do see it leaving. I could see Invertigo leaving next which sadly would bring Congo Falls down with it. As much as a good ride on Congo Falls is on a hot, busy, summer day, it takes up a lot of room in that area for such a simple ride (a lot of which is que line). Now I could see Invertigo leaving because it is such an unpopular ride that seems to be down a lot when I am at the park including the time it valleyed and was down for a while. Also these boomerangs just seem to be leaving everywhere and even with the Stinger trains, I had multiple rough rides and such that were not enjoyable to me or the other people in the group. This ride is becoming so uncomfortable that even GP are not enjoying it. 

Although I do not personally enjoy FoF as much as others, I don't see it leaving anytime soon. It is always a favorite to everyone I know and it always has a long line. Especially after Orion opening this year, there is going to be even more crowds over there naturally. There are of course other options such as a retheme but I think that for now at least, FoF is safe as is. 

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

My main question is where would they start the coaster if they were going to use that Lion Country safari land. 

There is a massive amount of real estate back there. Seems like the main gateway would be to open up the area around SOB's station into a larger access point (if they were to put more back there). Mentioned it before, but I could also see losing the games by Racer (where Skylab was) and having that be an access point to Area 72 and points east/north

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 11.38.14 AM.png