Kennywood's GM and Marketing Director abruptly step down.

48 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

https://www.wtae.com/article/kennywood-parks-general-manager-steps-down/30835420#

This means something, we just can't be sure what yet.  Some are speculating that this reflects the possibility of sale.  I think Palace wasn't happy with the outcome of Steel Curtain, although that is simply speculation. 

Can you elaborate about the Palace comment?  Do you mean you feel they were unhappy with the ride itself, or the revenue/attendance results based on its installation.  (Or lack therof)

It does seem a little odd that the GM abruptly steps down at the same time as the director of marketing.

I have been to Kennywood a couple times, once a few years ago in the evening when I was in town for work.  It’s a fun historical park.

It is a shame that a park that used to be family owned was purchased by Parques Reunidos in 2007 (they later purchased Palace Entertainment).  If anyone has read the Charles Jacques book on Coney Island, it contains several quotes from letters written from the Wach’s family (owners of Coney) and the owners of Kennywood.

Hopefully, there is still a very bright future for the park.

56 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Can you elaborate about the Palace comment?  Do you mean you feel they were unhappy with the ride itself, or the revenue/attendance results based on its installation.  (Or lack therof)

I think it was a big risk and it didn't put up the numbers that they expected it to.  Maybe the park's GM went down because they lobbied for a project (and for S&S) who couldn't get the project done until early July.  Maybe the second half of the season was weak once the ride opened and that's where the marketing director went down.  

Then again, maybe it's a coincidence.

I doubt it.

All speculation.  

32 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I think it was a big risk and it didn't put up the numbers that they expected it to.  Maybe the park's GM went down because they lobbied for a project (and for S&S) who couldn't get the project done until early July.  Maybe the second half of the season was weak once the ride opened and that's where the marketing director went down.  

Then again, maybe it's a coincidence.

I doubt it.

All speculation.  

To be honest (although I look forward to riding it this year) I personally thought the whole project was odd.  The coaster is an unusual "try" for the park and the name/theme is limiting.  But that was just my opinion.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what if anything comes from this.  I enjoyed Kennywood when I went there back in 2018, but I have read many horror stories from others about ops issues. 

As far as being for sale, it is almost a park that is too small to be big and too big to be small.  Six Flags would completely ruin what charm is left of it and I don't know if Cedar Fair would be interested.  From a Cedar Fair standpoint it could be a good option if they could get past the size concerns.  It is not directly competing with any of the existing Cedar Fair parks but could certainly add potential Platinum Passes from the people who live in parts of northern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.