How well does your cell phone work at KI?

BoddaH1994

I have Sprint and if there’s more than a few thousand people in the park I don’t get a useable signal. I am reliant on the park WiFi most times I visit.  

It looks like the recently approved T-Mobile/Sprint merger may lay in some hope, but I’m not holding my breath. Which service do you have and how does it do throughout the park and when it’s busy? 

I have AT&T and rarely have issues at KI, even when the park is busy. Data can be hard to use if the park is near peak capacity or if everyone is trying to send video at once (eg. during a major coaster announcement).

I have had more phone issues at Cedar Point than at KI. AT&T data connections can be very unreliable there on a full-parking-lot day, but voice/SMS should still work.

Once T-Mobile and Sprint combine their networks, additional frequency bands available to each customer should improve coverage. In the long term, the ridiculous amount of spectrum available to the combined company should allow significantly improved capacity. At the moment, AT&T and Verizon have superior coverage thanks to having a cell tower inside the park.

11 minutes ago, standbyme said:

In all my visits I only have had problems one Halloween Haunt evening about 3-4 years ago... never since. I have AT&T.

There was one evening in the fall a few years ago when AT&T had a nearly complete outage in the area. If I recall correctly, my phone was showing 'No Service' then.

To all having issues, you are just holding your phone wrong.  :rolleyes:

(The teens may not get this shade)

APay&Pay here and I have not had any significant issues at KI or CP, however the WiFi at both parks has been nearly useless this past season.  I hope the webcam downtime was worth it to “upgrade” the network.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, thatguyfromohio said:

T-Mobile here. Always have service, always fast even on busy days. 100mbps+ on average for lte

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I’ve heard otherwise. Which phone do you use? This is actually pretty good news for me since T-Mobile is going to eat Sprint. 

T-Mobile using an iPhone XR here, it works 90% of the time, the signal is good almost everywhere in the park, but every once in a while I get little to no data.

My guess is the tower gets overloaded from time to time.  When it works I get plenty of speed able to stream HD videos without issue, just I remember having problems a handful of days last year.

Google Fi user here. Originally had a moto X4, now have a Pixel 3a XL. Fi uses T-Mobile's and Sprint's networks, and there's a way you can force your phone to use one or the other.

On T-Mobile, unless the park is super busy, I have great coverage and data speeds. On Sprint, I have similar coverage, but almost never any data. But, that's also an issue outside the park as well, and I think that's more of a Fi issue than a Sprint issue.

2 hours ago, Kenban said:

T-Mobile using an iPhone XR here, it works 90% of the time, the signal is good almost everywhere in the park, but every once in a while I get little to no data.

My guess is the tower gets overloaded from time to time.  When it works I get plenty of speed able to stream HD videos without issue, just I remember having problems a handful of days last year.

How often do you visit? 

Just trying to get an idea of the sample size.