Would Orion have been bigger than Fury if:

SonofBaconator

This has been in my head for days:

IF Kings Island got their giga before Carowinds, would it have been bigger?

Would we have gotten a coaster more similar to Fury 325 while Carowinds got something more like Orion? Would we have gotten the Orion style design regardless? Would we have gotten a completely different type of giga?

I'm excited for the ride, I just want to hear some thoughts

Something interesting I see a lot is many people compare Orion to Fury 325. Keep in mind that Kings Island doesn't need a huge roller coaster to keep people happy. Not only that, but Cedar Point is just up the road, and both parks provide different markets. Cedar Fair learned from Fury 325 that they don't need a super huge and expensive coaster to please the masses. Not only that, but Fury 325 has little themeing, but Orion has quite a bit of themeing to it. Just my thoughts.

Its my personal belief that the size of a coaster at CF Park A has nothing to do with the size of the same coaster-type installed later at CF Park B.

I believe it to be related to financial planning, marketability, and sustainability in the region.  They make independent installation decisions based on what the specific market can support.

Likely, a capitol expenditure amount is set and they approach manufacturers with a "What can you give us in this type of ride with a budget of $xxx."

Shaggy

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Both rides are marketed at costing $30,000,000 to build. Fury didn't cost any more than Orion. 

"Marketed" is the key word there.  As I understand, amounts marketed are typically for the whole project - not just the cost of the physical coaster. ;-)

Either way it's all semantics.  Orion is the coaster KI is getting.

Comparisons will always be - that's just nature.  But I have a feeling all the complaints about it not being a "record-breaker" will change once it opens.  Well, at least until coaster geeks get bored and start whining online again - which seems to be a favorite pastime.  LOL!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Shaggy said:

"Marketed" is the key word there.  As I understand, amounts marketed are typically for the whole project - not just the cost of the physical coaster. ;-)

Either way it's all semantics.  Orion is the coaster KI is getting.

Comparisons will always be - that's just nature.  But I have a feeling all the complaints about it not being a "record-breaker" will change once it opens.  Well, at least until coaster geeks get bored and start whining online again - which seems to be a favorite pastime.  LOL!

Plus I'd like to think that any money saved by making the ride shorter but the drop bigger would have been used for the Area 72 themeing.  I don't know for sure, but I'd like to think so.

• Like 4