Do you think K.I. will return Phantom Theater in the 50th?

Cedar Fair Fanboy

Do you want to be Back?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If historical trends continue, the dark ride will be due for a refresh in the coming years. Boo Blasters on Boo Hill will have outlived the original Enchanted Voyage to be the longest running ride theme in that building if it lasts into the 2022 anniversary season.

I would be really happy if they figured out how to use Phantom Theater's original score in a re-imagined dark ride.

• Like 8

I would love to see it make a return and the 50th would be a great celebration for it. It opened for the 20th anniversary and closed with the 30th anniversary, so the rides dates do focus on anniversary years as well.

I think that the location of the old Action Theater would be a perfect spot for it. Be an old theater being haunted somewhat, but think it would be a nice fit for Coney Mall plus being stuck back in The Racer turnaround they could do up a more decrepit looking building and lawn area leading up to it without impacting the overall visual appeal of the rest of Coney Mall with its rundown appearance either, plus the slightly secluded nature would lend to the abandoned feel.

This would still leave Boo Blasters open to be converted into a Peanuts themed interactive dark ride. This would be best as it would give a great new addition to Planet Snoopy and give KI a chance to take back it's title and would give the park two dark rides as well. We could maintain having an interactive ride in Planet Snoopy, but make Phantom Theatre a more classic style ride like the original was where you watch animatronics and show scenes. Unfortunately I'm not sure how likely this is. I would be ecstatic to see the announcement but honestly I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Ya know, with all thats going on with COVID, I would imagine that if the park was wanting to add something new that is cost cheap, they could redo Boo Blasters and make it themed to the Phantom Theater again. I think that they should keep the blasters because riding around the same old track just looking at stuff gets pretty old. If they upgraded the blasters and re-themed the track to Phantom Theater, they could have something new AND bring back another former attraction.

Thinking about it some more, there is an issue with haunted houses. If you keep the same old haunted lineup, after awhile the public loses interest and ridership goes down. They have to change it up every so often or else people will stop going to it. Just thinking to myself...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Ya know, with all thats going on with COVID, I would imagine that if the park was wanting to add something new that is cost cheap, they could redo Boo Blasters and make it themed to the Phantom Theater again. I think that they should keep the blasters because riding around the same old track just looking at stuff gets pretty old. If they upgraded the blasters and re-themed the track to Phantom Theater, they could have something new AND bring back another former attraction.

Thinking about it some more, there is an issue with haunted houses. If you keep the same old haunted lineup, after awhile the public loses interest and ridership goes down. They have to change it up every so often or else people will stop going to it. Just thinking to myself...

I agree with this. The blaster portion is what keeps people coming back, and makes it competitive. Phantom Theater was usually close to a walk on (part of this was because of the crazy good riders capacity with all the cars), but I think also, while enthusiasts loved to ride this over and over again, to the GP it got boring after a while if you're a repeat rider. But this would be a great idea, incorporate a bit of both. But the man thing I want to see is either way, for the ride to get some love. The animations not working and the blasters not working sometimes is understandable, but the thing that just kills me is the fun TVs in the queue. At least add something to bring back some attractiveness to the queue, Maestro gave people something to look at while in line, or the Scooby and Shaggy pop-ups. Just at least something to keep guests entertained would be nice.

• Like 1

The one things we do have to remember is that Kings Island likes their dark rides catered to more of a family audience. One problem was that Maestro was a little frightening to younger children, which was a problem for it being located in the kids section of the park. Additionally, there were multiple reasons they removed PT in the first place. The more animatronics there are, the more maintenance the ride will require, and the more hassle it'll be for the park. Boo Blasters, while not everyone's favorite dark ride, does serve it's purpose as a family dark ride, while also being not to scary for younger guests. Especially after all that's going on, I can definitely see Boo Blasters sticking around for a little while longer. But I would like to see the replacement be somewhere between Phantom Theater & Boo Blasters. Maybe a more scary dark ride toned towards an older audience would be better placed in for example the old TR:TR building. Even better, if we're going with the dark forest theme of Action Zone, or Area 72, a ride themed to those areas would be fantastic, and really give the park more variety. I feel like sometimes people forget that Boo Blasters and/or Scooby Doo & the Haunted Castle cater more towards family & the GP.

27 minutes ago, CoasterJack said:

The one things we do have to remember is that Kings Island likes their dark rides catered to more of a family audience. One problem was that Maestro was a little frightening to younger children, which was a problem for it being located in the kids section of the park. Additionally, there were multiple reasons they removed PT in the first place. The more animatronics there are, the more maintenance the ride will require, and the more hassle it'll be for the park. Boo Blasters, while not everyone's favorite dark ride, does serve it's purpose as a family dark ride, while also being not to scary for younger guests. Especially after all that's going on, I can definitely see Boo Blasters sticking around for a little while longer. But I would like to see the replacement be somewhere between Phantom Theater & Boo Blasters. Maybe a more scary dark ride toned towards an older audience would be better placed in for example the old TR:TR building. Even better, if we're going with the dark forest theme of Action Zone, or Area 72, a ride themed to those areas would be fantastic, and really give the park more variety. I feel like sometimes people forget that Boo Blasters and/or Scooby Doo & the Haunted Castle cater more towards family & the GP.

Tomb Raider: The Ride was a dark ride that catered to the teens/adults and was immensely popular during the TRTR years, reaching upwards of an hour plus wait at park closing time.

I do think the park is missing a great family dark ride / high thrill dark ride in its lineup especially since we have lost TRTR and Action Theatre.

• Like 2

On May 7, 2020 at 11:27 PM, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Given the current social climate, I don't see it being nearly as dark or frightening as it was when it was in the 90s. I feel like parents would complain.

I can see that. The climate was headed that way even when PT was first installed. I remember parents having a huge fit over Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles.

Although, I think a good compromise could be made. The Haunted Mansion is spooky, but it is also "safe" spooky.  But I also dream of a Phantom revival that exists in a different part of the park, one that could appeal to older kids and not hindered from being placed in or near a children's themed area of the park. If they ever re-theme AZ to the spooky theming many here are proposing, a PT revival would be perfect for it.

Plus, it would give us an additional ride to cool off in, and then maybe they could transform Boo Blasters back into an Enchanted Voyage boat ride. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Okay, I said this in the poll for "How Much Longer For Boo Blasters On Boo Hill?". Here it is:

"Okay, here's my SUMMARIZED description of Boo Blasters on Boo Hill: It's a Scooby Doo ride, but with no Scooby Doo characters from the TV show, or any mentioning of Scooby Doo. Right now, the ride, to me, just looks outdated. It's an eyesore. Whenever I'm on the left side of the parking lot, I look over at Woodstock Express and see this wacky cartoon castle behind it. Every time I see it that, it looks weird and out of place. Another thing is that the black lighting used in the attraction makes me think of those small low-budget dark rides usually found at the small road side amusement parks. Also, the blasters aren't always very reliable. One time my friend told me that there was a glitch where if you were to point and shoot your "Boo Blaster" at the ceiling, it would give you a lot of points. Sometimes that usually isn't a good thing for an interactive dark ride. So, do I think Boo Blasters will be leaving soon? No. But do I think it's okay that Boo Blasters might not be leaving soon? No. I think Kings Island has kept Boo Blasters is because it has a high attendance. What I think Kings Island isn't doing is looking at WHY the ride has had the attendance it's been getting. I think one the reasons for the ride's high attendance is because it's an indoor attraction and it has air conditioning. So, I think Kings Island should close Boo Blasters and maybe replace it with a Phantom Theater 2.0, or maybe a new interactive attraction that's more reliable."

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 9:28 PM, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

I did edit on Phantom Theater layout and this is how's it go.

Phantom theater layout.png

They could use what is currently the "Fantasy Theater" (Possibly a reference to the building's first name being the Fantasy Voyage) and use it as a pre-show. They could also get rid of The Great Pumpkin Coaster and use the space for an extended que. Could you maybe give a few labels? Or maybe I could see if I can maybe see add some more stuff to it. But overall, arguably, it still looks like a great layout.

On 9/15/2020 at 12:43 PM, Dj325 said:

They could use what is currently the "Fantasy Theater" (Possibly a reference to the building's first name being the Fantasy Voyage) and use it as a pre-show. They could also get rid of The Great Pumpkin Coaster and use the space for an extended que. Could you maybe give a few labels? Or maybe I could see if I can maybe see add some more stuff to it. But overall, arguably, it still looks like a great layout.

The pre-show is in the queue line of phantom theater

10 hours ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

The pre-show is in the queue line of phantom theater

Okay. Here's how it will go:

First you'll enter through the usual outdoor entrance. Now, here's where things might get a little different than the original ride. Instead of going straight into the room where the organist would usually be playing, you'll go into what is listed on the picture below as "Extended que line". Before getting close to the usual entrance to the building, you'll enter the "Pre-Show" building. Here, you'll be greeted by the owner of the theater. He might say something like this: "Hey! What are you people doing here! You're trespassing on my property! What's that!? How could you be trespassing on a property that hasn't been in operation for years you say? Well, if that's what you think, then why don't you go find out for yourself! Come on! Don't be shy! It's only, HhHhHh, THE PHANTOM THEATER! BUT, WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T, GO INTO THE THEATER BASEMENT! It's completely off limits! Other than that, the rest of the theater is all yours to explore, EVEN THE BOILER ROOM! Just follow the maestro's instructions. He'll tell you the rest. NOW! LET THE TOUR OF THE PHANTOM THEATER, BEGIN!" After that, you'll leave the "Pre-Show" room and then go to the room where you'd be greeted by the the maestro playing the organ just like you would in the original ride that ran from 1992 to 2002. And just like the original attraction, what happened after meeting the maestro/ organist is still the same as usual.

1701946584_Phantomtheaterlayout.png.a3b4933778451abe8a6721aac57cc020.png

• Like 2