Orion Nickname Discussion

King Ding Dong

So what is Orion’s nickname going to be?  

Many people have nicknames for coasters, some just shorten the name when casually referring to one, some like to put a Y, I or IE at the end.  Mysti, Beastie, Maggie, Millie etc.  I get it, some names just don’t roll off the tongue well, Magnum XL 2000, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Top Thrill Dragster. Just to many syllables.  

Uncle Tony up north gets his panties in a bunch over coaster nicknames, but Don and Chad to the best of my knowledge seem fine with it.

I will start with a few ideas, not necessarily good ones but I am not getting paid for this. :P

• O’Ryan
  • Ori
  • Onion (just carry that r all the way down and there you go.  Plus anyone sticking “The” in front of it would automatically self parody.)

Go.

35 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Many people have nicknames for coasters, some just shorten the name when casually referring to one, some like to put a Y, I or IE at the end.  Mysti, Beastie, Maggie, Millie etc.  I get it, some names just don’t roll off the tongue well, Magnum XL 2000, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Top Thrill Dragster. Just to many syllables.  

Uncle Tony up north gets his panties in a bunch over coaster nicknames, but Don and Chad to the best of my knowledge seem fine with it.

I will start with a few ideas, not necessarily good ones but I am not getting paid for this. :P

• O’Ryan
  • Ori
  • Onion (just carry that r all the way down and there you go.  Plus anyone sticking “The” in front of it would automatically self parody.)

Go.

Beastie is a longer name than Beast and I always thought Beastie was the kiddie coaster.

• Like 1

Yes, Woodstock Express was called the Scooby Doo in 1972, then rethemed as the Bestie when The Beast opened.  The joke was instead of chains to hold The Beast, they used ropes, and the "beastie" was actually Scooby Doo.  I have never heard anyone call The Beast Beastie.

Image result for the bestie logo Kings Island

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

• O’Ryan
  • Ori

Go.

Don't know if you've seen it, but my friend and youtube partner, Oryan, has that first nickname :D

Edit: I've got a good one. Oreon. News people always mispronounce so I like to joke around about this name. I think of the theme of this joke as an Oreo asteroid storm that destroys the world :lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Don't know if you've seen it, but my friend and youtube partner, Oryan, has that first nickname :D

Just need to modify the O'Reilly Autoparts jingle a bit.   O', O', O', O'Ryan....Giga Coaster.

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I call MT Mysti to give it personality and to be cute, but I am not seeing a need to do anything with Orion.

Personally I never found Mystic Timbers lacking in personality....some people are so critical.  :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foze.bear said:

I like it.  I was a big fan of the band Over The Rhine from the nineties.  We called them OTR and it rolled off the tongue nicely.

Still am a big fan of OTR.  They're wonderful human-beings and even better songwriters.
But, Orion is short enough of a name.  No Nickname required.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foze.bear said:

Yes, Woodstock Express was called the Scooby Doo in 1972, then rethemed as the Bestie when The Beast opened.  The joke was instead of chains to hold The Beast, they used ropes, and the "beastie" was actually Scooby Doo.  I have never heard anyone call The Beast Beastie.

Scooby Doo was renamed/ retheamed to Beastie in 1980 at which time the tunnel was added at bottom of first drop due to the success of Beast opening in 1979.

Many kids, myself included, were at the threshold of the height requirement where one ride attendant let me go on Beast and another later in the day would not.  Needless to say, the kids version was not up to par......

The fancy height GO/ NO GO we see today did not come out for a few years later.