Could KI be getting a Floorless next?

SonofBaconator

11 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^That made more sense back then because 1) Bat only was around a few years and 2) OG Bat and Vortex were by the same designer.  Doesn't make any sense to re-use 30+ year old footers. 

I don't remember coaster ages and could be completely wrong on this one, but I think Verbolten reused footers from Big Bad Wolf.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I don't remember coaster ages and could be completely wrong on this one, but I think Verbolten reused footers from Big Bad Wolf.

I think its up to the people who inspect the foundation.

Also here's a crude concept I whipped up for what I'd expect a floorless (or even just a sit down looper) to look like in that plot of land. (Yes thats Dominator)

floorless vortex.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Also here's a crude concept I whipped up for what I'd expect a floorless (or even just a sit down looper) to look like in that plot of land. (Yes thats Dominator)

floorless vortex.png

Verboten uses the footers over the water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

floorless vortex.png

Hey If they do go that route, maybe they could use the footers from Vortex for the lift hill, but then create a similar layout to Dominator. Maybe instead of having that curving drop that Dominator has, it could make the turn like Vortex did, but all the way around so it's facing the opposite side of the lift hill. Then you could practically almost do the same layout as Dominator.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^That made more sense back then because 1) Bat only was around a few years and 2) OG Bat and Vortex were by the same designer.  Doesn't make any sense to re-use 30+ year old footers. 

Yeah that's true. I definitely don't think they'll reuse it, but I also have a bad case of wishful thinking.

• Like 2

^ Well my other guess is they left those there to tease us. Now that you put it that way, they could replace them in the same spots If indeed a new roller coaster would follow the lift hill spot of Vortex. I would still love to see a floorless roller coaster someday at Kings Island.

• Like 1

I don’t think the footings mean anything — they are probably already gone. If not, they probably will be once crews get back to work, or the park decided it wasn’t worth spending the money to remove them right now. I certainly don’t think this is the beginning of some great teaser campaign.

• Like 5

^ Well that is a wild ride, but yeah since they just spent probably $30 million on Orion, I doubt they'll spend that much on something like that. But that ride packs a lot of punch! I love how much intensity it packs throughout the ride. Reminds me of Maverick. I also love how you picked Green!

• Like 1

I would prefer an intamin multi launch launch coaster without the spike TBH. I honestly don't know how the spike would work with capacity. 

I’ve heard that Pantheon can send out its next train as soon as the previous train goes over the tophat.
  • Like 1

I would love to have a floorless. I wonder if they could get the new restraints on them since they would build one from scratch. Would make up for the lost inversions. If they do add one, I hope it stands by itself in terms of being different and unique.

(Sorry for the double post, but felt like it should be two seperate comments.)

• Like 2

B&M is a very reliable company, and that's what Kings Island wants, as an enthusiast, I'd love an Intamin any day, I think Intamin produces better rides than RMC (wildly overrated rides honestly), I don't think a B&M Floorless coaster is the right move, part of it to me feels dated, but if Kings Island went with one, you would still see me there on opening day, we make up probably a little less than 3% of Kings Island's attendance, I'm sure a B&M Floorless coaster would draw big crowds. 

• Like 3

I agree . . it will have to be an already proven, very reliable type of coaster with high capacity.  Something like a B&M dive or wing would fit that bill perfectly.  But I still would love a Maverick or Copperhead Strike.  How reliable are these coasters?  Capacity??

I would also love a ground up RMC.  I think it would look great if they could make it part of the Rivertown and put the queue closer near Larosas Pizza.

• Like 2

If anyone is wondering why I'm such a proponent of the floorless model vs others, I'm happy to explain.

When I was a little Vortex used to be the tallest coaster in the park. The tall lift hill, tall to me anyway, and the multiple inversions were intimidating to a little giy like me. Fast forward a decade where I get my 1st ride on it. I enjoyed the long chainlift to the top of the hill, the intense inversions, and greasy smell of the chain and the clanky anti-rollbacks. The ride represents the pure nostalgia of what an Arrow looper was.

Fast forward again to 2019 when it was announced that Vortex would be removed after 33 years of service hitting the park in a huge way. Not only were we losing some inversions, we were losing a KI classic that broke records when it was built, featured on tv several times, and was praised by many. 

I want a floorless, or even a sitdown, by B&M because I think it would be fitting replacement for such an iconic ride. There are some who think memories should be memories and sequel/tribute rides are unoriginal but I believe Vortex should be the exception. Not only do I want those inversions back but I also want to try and relive the feeling of riding Vortex in a more modern way. I'd like to end up taking my kids to the park one day when I'm a father and take them on Vortex like my dad did with me. 

Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I don't think a launched coaster or a dive would do Vortex justice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

^ No you're not being nostalgic.  I feel the same way about re-creating a modern version of Vortex as a B&M Floorless. How would you feel about the new vest restraints If they did re-create the layout as a Floorless? I would be all for it. Yeah Kings Island already has two launched roller coasters in the park. They could never put another launch roller coaster in there in the next 10 years, and people would still be happy with Kings Island line-up. I'm sure Kings Island will get a Dive, but yeah I agree about putting it where Vortex was. It would just seem out of place there.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 4:11 PM, coaster sally said:

Please not a floorless.  Only decent floorless is Superman @ fiesta texas.  If it has to be a b&m have it be a wing or a dive.  Maybe the small b&m wing that was planned for KD will go in Vortex's spot?

i dont think a wing is needed at KI though. GateKeeper at CP, thunderbird at HW, x-flight at SFGAm, and wild eagle at dollywood, all of which are fairly close to KI. a dive coaster would make more sense but even then there is valravn at CP. my guess is a mack multi-launch like copperhead strike at carowinds or possibly an rmc raptor like jersey devil

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nickcliff said:

i dont think a wing is needed at KI though. GateKeeper at CP, thunderbird at HW, x-flight at SFGAm, and wild eagle at dollywood, all of which are fairly close to KI. a dive coaster would make more sense but even then there is valravn at CP. my guess is a mack multi-launch like copperhead strike at carowinds or possibly an rmc raptor like jersey devil

A mack will be approaching 35 million by then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think KI's attendance is too high for a Raptor. Maybe a 2 seater T-Rex model

Great adventure is in a higher populated area.  If you go to KI in the summer, you can generally ride everything in the summer.  KI has lots of low cap rides:  Invertigo, BLSC, & FOF to name a few.  4 trains with a continuous loading platform like Wonder Woman would not be bad.

• Like 1

I respect you guys opinion here guys, but I think a Floorless roller coaster similar to Dominator at Kings Dominion would be ideal for families and thrill seekers. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a ground up rmc come to Kings Island as well. I also think that would be the most thrilling option for Kings Island. However, If they wanted to introduce a roller coaster family oriented, it would probably be a B&M Floorless. Here's how I see my wishlist for the former Vortex area. 1. B&M Floorless 2. Ground up rmc wooden roller coaster 3. Mack launch roller coaster. The other roller coasters that have been mentioned, I don't know too much about.

• Like 3