Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

11 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Also, news do articles keep referring to the coronavirus as novel coronavirus; why is this? Are they referring to it in this way to differentiate it from other types of coronaviruses (as mentioned some posts back)?

From the latin Novus which means "new".  Novel in English.  This is a new strain of coronavirus.  "Wow that coaster they are building sure is a novel design."

Confusion arises because scientists, like most professions, have their own language. So when you hear scientists say Novel Coronavirus they are talking about a very specific thing (covid-19) and completely understand each other. However others like some journalists or politicians don’t understand what novel means so they drop it when communicating with the public and just say the broadly defined “Coronavirus”.  Then the public starts googling and begins thinking this is just a common cold.

This makes the cartoon about the subject @malem posted Tuesday even funnier because the cartoon creator apparently doesn’t understand this.  But it was a good try.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Dude, a maintenance guy on one of Disneyland Paris’ attractions picked up the virus.

"Dude," I was making reference to the "state-side" Disney resorts, not necessarily about EuroDisney- meanwhile acknowledging that the Disney's Asian properties are closed at the moment.

11 hours ago, FirefighterENG44 said:

Random but does anyone think the conronavirus outbreak will affect attendance come April?  I’m not personally worried about the virus at all but we all know it’s been all over the news.  I’ll be there regardless April 18th with my fast pass!

How can you not be at least concerned about it? Even people that are younger can potentially pass it to vulnerable family members or general public that are a bigger risk. You may not even be aware you have it and be passing it around. NBA just suspended their season tonight and I look for NCAA to suspend their tournament tomorrow. Can theme parks be far behind? Only if Corona ends up slowing way down in hot weather do I not see this affecting parks as much. Theme parks will probably have to delay their opening days this year I would guess. America's response to this has been pathetic beyond words.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

That's true but we also spend a lot of money in the parks it seems even with the food, drink and picture pass. 

Ssshhhh.  Keep quite about that or you will loose your Enthusiast Badge.  Everyone around here insists Enthusiasts do not spend money at the park.  Don’t want to anger them.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

guys here's the deal Disney is entering one of their busiest seasons ever right now- spring break through Easter where their crowds literally are shoulder to shoulder. They aren't closing so thats a big sign KI won't either- Big indoor events are because they are trying to minimize mass spread to not overwhelm the health system, spreading the cases out- its going to take its course and spread just like colds flue sars etc do then all will be as usual again- it also depends  what it does as it warms up- coronavirususes like colds die out in heat therefore stopping the spread- sars another strain did not and so different measures had to be taken. its really a wait and see and try to prevent the hospitals being overloaded then nobody wins and more die when resources are strained.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I know people are not taking this virus serious and i feel sorry for them. Its not just about yourself. They might be fine if they get it but if you spread to others who won't be then shame on them. Sorry for my 2 cents, just getting venting.

Right on. I'm 40 and have two young kids. We're not overly concerned for us. The majority of people my age who get the virus get minor symptoms (which, contrary to popular belief, is not like the common cold and more like pneumonia). Kids are not largely impacted. Yet my wife and I still have concerts and plays we had tickets for that could be canceled because of this, My grad school commencement in late April could be canceled. And I'd be bummed, but I'd totally understand. 

Because, while it might only affect my family and I mildly, I don't want it to spread to my grandparents or to anyone in the community whose immune system might not handle it. And I can't just quarantine if I show symptoms, because you can be contagious without showing symptoms -- it might be up to two weeks before you start showing symptoms. In that time, you interact with countless people on a day-to-day basis. And while most people won't get seriously ill, a number of people just getting the virus could overwhelm doctor's offices and hospitals, meaning the people who are seriously at risk for dying for this might not be able to get the help they need. We also don't have an accurate estimate of how widespread this virus is, because our government has completely bungled preparation and testing for this. 

Sure, it's "like" the flu. But we have vaccines for the flu; there likely won't be a COVID-19 vaccine for at least a year. We have treatment for the flu. We know how to prevent it, treat it, and when to tell people to get medical assistance, which helps keep health care centers from being overwhelmed when flu outbreaks occur. This is a new virus (novel coronavirus). 

So, honestly, drastic measures now to keep from this spreading like wildfire are fine with me, even if they are inconvenient and they mean I have to miss out on things I'm looking forward to. 

Theme parks might open; they might close. They might delay opening for a few weeks/months. Your life will be fine. Orion will still be there. Even if KI never opened this season (which is highly unlikely), you'd still have next season. In the grand scheme of things, your life will not be affected by a theme park closing -- but lives could be saved by doing it. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

So if opening day does get delayed, what would be your guess on the day the park would actually open? My guess currently is likely the end of April. Would they still do the first rider auction and media day, but would be postponed? 

I think were good, look at all the six flags parks and other parks that are still open?

15 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

So if opening day does get delayed, what would be your guess on the day the park would actually open? My guess currently is likely the end of April. Would they still do the first rider auction and media day, but would be postponed? 

I can't think of a reason they wouldn't just set new dates for opening events. There are just to many variables to make stab at precisely how long that would be.   The longer the delay a big challenge could be lining up the workforce to run the park.  I imagine training is starting soon or has already begun.  Hopefully most of the hires will still be available after a possible delay.

1 hour ago, cdubbs727 said:

Right on. I'm 40 and have two young kids. We're not overly concerned for us. The majority of people my age who get the virus get minor symptoms (which, contrary to popular belief, is not like the common cold and more like pneumonia). Kids are not largely impacted. Yet my wife and I still have concerts and plays we had tickets for that could be canceled because of this, My grad school commencement in late April could be canceled. And I'd be bummed, but I'd totally understand. 

Because, while it might only affect my family and I mildly, I don't want it to spread to my grandparents or to anyone in the community whose immune system might not handle it. And I can't just quarantine if I show symptoms, because you can be contagious without showing symptoms -- it might be up to two weeks before you start showing symptoms. In that time, you interact with countless people on a day-to-day basis. And while most people won't get seriously ill, a number of people just getting the virus could overwhelm doctor's offices and hospitals, meaning the people who are seriously at risk for dying for this might not be able to get the help they need. We also don't have an accurate estimate of how widespread this virus is, because our government has completely bungled preparation and testing for this. 

Sure, it's "like" the flu. But we have vaccines for the flu; there likely won't be a COVID-19 vaccine for at least a year. We have treatment for the flu. We know how to prevent it, treat it, and when to tell people to get medical assistance, which helps keep health care centers from being overwhelmed when flu outbreaks occur. This is a new virus (novel coronavirus). 

So, honestly, drastic measures now to keep from this spreading like wildfire are fine with me, even if they are inconvenient and they mean I have to miss out on things I'm looking forward to. 

Theme parks might open; they might close. They might delay opening for a few weeks/months. Your life will be fine. Orion will still be there. Even if KI never opened this season (which is highly unlikely), you'd still have next season. In the grand scheme of things, your life will not be affected by a theme park closing -- but lives could be saved by doing it. 

2 things going on here. 1) I don't know anyone who is not taking it seriously, which is what your reply was to. What IS going on is people are not buying into the mass hysteria that the MSM is trying to push on the American public. They are billing this as a plague, which clearly it is not. If you recall, the last time we had one was the swine flu. The same principles apply to this virus as did the last one...wash your hands and avoid contact with others. Try not to touch your face as much (more difficult than most may realize). 2) Even though there is treatment for the flu, the current vaccine is for last year's flu, not this year. A fun fact I learned a couple of years ago from my pharmacist. You wouldn't need a yearly flu shot if not for different strains. Once you are vaccinated against that particular strain, you won't contract it. Unfortunately, it's always mutating. 

I do agree that large gatherings of people indoor will likely be the more serious concern. I am not dismissing the possibilities of outdoor gatherings. However, it is far more communicable indoors. It's always an epidemic in nursing homes for that reason and for the reason that the elderly have a weaker immune system. 

13 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

All I can say is look at Italy. We don't want that here. Better to be safe rather then sorry. 

I do agree sort of, but then again, Italy from what I know doesn't have very good healthcare everywhere. There is some excellent healthcare in the country in large cities, but the rest of it isn't very good. I do agree that we should watch out for it though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

I do agree sort of, but then again, Italy from what I know doesn't have very good healthcare everywhere. There is some excellent healthcare in the country, but most of it isn't very good. I do agree that we should watch out for it though. 

And yet Italy doesn't have a shortage of test kits like the US has.

Here is the statement: 

A Message from Richard Zimmerman, Chief Executive Officer,
Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

Dear Valued Guest,

Cedar Fair's highest priority is always the safety of our guests and associates. We know you continue to hear and see news reports about the coronavirus, or COVID-19, and some of its effects around the world. The Cedar Fair team is closely monitoring this evolving situation and are in regular contact with health agencies for information and guidance.

All Cedar Fair properties intend to welcome guests in accordance with our published schedules, and we continue to implement preventive measures as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as our own health and hygiene protocols. All our parks and resorts have high standards of cleanliness, which assists with illness prevention. We employ rigorous sanitation standards and robust cleaning procedures, including:

• Extensive and ongoing training for associates on maintaining a safe and hygienic workplace and environment for our guests;
  • Specified intervals for frequent cleaning and disinfection of targeted areas throughout the day;
  • Numerous and accessible handwashing facilities and hand sanitizer locations;
  • Quick response to spills, trash and other situations;
  • Daily and frequent sanitation procedures for restrooms, kitchens, dining surfaces, benches and trash cans;
  • Daily and frequent cleaning and "wash down" of outdoor locations, including walkways and queue lines

The leadership team is communicating with our associates about illness prevention; this includes guidance issued by the CDC. The CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs. The CDC provides more detailed coronavirus information on its website at www.cdc.gov.

As always, we maintain close relationships with local, state, national and international public health authorities. We take their guidance when additional preventive measures are deemed necessary.

Thank you for your continued support and trust in Cedar Fair's family of parks and resorts.

Sincerely,

Richard Zimmerman
Chief Executive Officer
Cedar Fair Entertainment Company

• Like 2