Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Correct me if I am wrong but only universal/Disney parks have closed.  SIX/FUN (Knotts)/Herschend are open or planning to. I think the regional parks will make the decision based on the regional conditions, community standards and governing authorities.  Here in Ohio it looks like the DeWine administration will make the decision to allow them to open or not.

The risks are high. If a major community spread is traced back to the park and mistakes are made (mistakes are always made) the short/medium term reputation of the park will take damage. 

The situation changes rapidly but at this point I think most if not all the regionals will open as planned, if they are allowed to open.  Conceivable restrictions could be put in place like lowering maximum attendance to avoid shoulder to shoulder crowds.  

And look how quickly it has changed...

• Haha 2

Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

TBH now I'm actually expecting a delayed opening. My main question is will they still do a media day/first rider event for Orion? Likely around the time of the new opening? 

They’ll probably just move it to another date or have an ert event for those donors at sometime.

39 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Never been a Comcast customer, but good luck getting that installed within 60 days.  :P

But seriously that is an admirable thing to do.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

At least they know when they will open up the park from postponing. Some of them I mean. 

Your hot takes are going to become a legend and not in a good way.  Slow down and think about things a little before you hit Submit Reply.  :D

31 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Imagine the foresight Cedar Fair had to make this the year of the giga :P

EDIT - it was funnier when I typed it, but apparently budget isn't allowed before giga on this site LOL...

Try using Fiscally Conservative Giga.  It is apparently more respectful.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Comcast is doing something mildly classy and customer service-oriented?

This really is the apocalypse.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

That is true but you seem to still miss the point.   A commercial daycare may 30 kids or home based 7 or so.   Not 500 or 2500 like elementary and High Schools.  This will/should/hopefully SLOW the rate of infection so those that do need intensive medical care without can get it.  Otherwise someone is going to have the job of deciding who gets to live and who doesn’t.  Sorry Grandma, you are old so this young person gets the ventilator.  

As sad as it is, Italy has already been forced to make that impossible choice.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see a case spread in a daycare type environment and that forces a new order to follow.   

This is a rapidly changing situation, and we all need to be fluid and listen to the experts for our advice. I personally am using Ohio Department of Health (ODH) as my source for advice, others might choose to use the CDC or World Health Organization.  I chose ODH as they are taking a science based approach with Dr. Amy Acton using her medical background to advise Governor Dewine, and he is just the talking head acting out that advice vs trying to put a political spin on it. They are hosting a press conference every day at 2 pm, you can find it streaming on most local media or from the Ohio Channel, often found on TV with the PBS stations or at their website  http://ohiochannel.org/live ,and more official source information can be found at https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/.

• Like 3

Inevitable if the experts are to be believed.  This is coming to every corner of the globe.  The good news, I suppose, is that all 4 were released and sent home (presumably on quarantine) which tells me that their symptoms were not too severe.  I saw an interview with a lady who was one of the Cruise ships over seas and tested positive, she said other than a slight fever (less than 100) and a small head ache that in reality only lasted a handful of hours she never would have guessed to have had the virus unless she had been tested. Hopefully these 4 are similar stories both in recover and in short term symptoms.

16 minutes ago, medford said:

Inevitable if the experts are to be believed.  This is coming to every corner of the globe.  The good news, I suppose, is that all 4 were released and sent home (presumably on quarantine) which tells me that their symptoms were not too severe.  I saw an interview with a lady who was one of the Cruise ships over seas and tested positive, she said other than a slight fever (less than 100) and a small head ache that in reality only lasted a handful of hours she never would have guessed to have had the virus unless she had been tested. Hopefully these 4 are similar stories both in recover and in short term symptoms.

Agreed - but remember that its highly contagious and although it may not have affected them much, it may fatally affect someone of questionable health.  I am glad to know people are getting checked, and I hope that stay confined if tested positive for the sake of others.