Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

4 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Like when everyone is saying stay calm and your the only one who is saying we shouldn’t.

SMH.  No a claim was made that people needed to calm down.  One cannot calm down if they are already calm.  So who in this thread not calm?  And show evidence to your claim I am saying people should not be calm.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

SMH.  No a claim was made that people needed to calm down.  One cannot calm down if they are already calm.  So who is in this thread not calm?  And show evidence.

Ok, I know it was me who made the claim that people need to calm down. But like I said I never once said that anyone here was not calm. I was merely stating that people as a whole need to take a breath and let the professionals do their jobs and do what they themselves can do to help prevent the spread of the virus.

Again,

I never said that someone on here wasn't calm. Period.

17 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

@Klabergian Empire   Calm down from exactly what?  I have seen narcissism, irrational optimism and many low-information opinions in this thread but nothing anyone needs to calm down from. Your statement sounds like the Ancient Aliens I am not saying meme.

Can you point to examples of people needing to calm down?

Now to be honest I read this wrong. I guess I missed a few words. My mistake...

• Like 1

Just now, RedSummit20 said:

These viruses hate warm weather..we are into the warm season, so within the next 3-4 weeks this will be a thing of the past....

World Health Organization begs to differ

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/06/its-a-false-hope-coronavirus-will-disappear-in-the-summer-like-the-flu-who-says.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnakePlissken said:

I thought the mods said no politics here on the forums? I have been the complete opposite with Dewine. He is the reason why everything in this state is shut down, the reason why everybody is panicking and the reason why the stores are out of everything. The man needs to be fired.

Every store in the country is experiencing shortages, not just Ohio. These closures were inevitable, his actions undoubtedly will at least limit the spread of Covid-19 to some degree.  

Here are the latest statistics from South Korea as of 3/14/2020. Source: ncov.mohw.go.kr (Korean government update link in Korean)

Confirmed: 8086 (+107)

Other suspected: 17634 (-306)

Recovered: 714 (+204)

Death: 72 (+5)

First time since the outbreak in Korea about 2 weeks ago, the number recovered is outpacing new confirmed cases for 2 days in a row. 

This should be a model that the US should follow.  One major problem in the US is that the population density is so much less so that mass tests can be impractical.  Having said that, a spread can be limited here for that same reason.

• Like 1

Please avoid politics and keep the conversation civil.

This type of situation is unprecedented in most of our lifetimes, so apprehension and confusion are to be expected. The fact is that this is a novel (new) virus that has overwhelmed the hospital systems of many countries. Models indicate exponential spread much greater than that of the cold or flu, making early action critical. We don't yet know what impact the US decisions to pause many aspects of daily life will have on the virus. These measures are designed to buy time to roll out testing infrastructure and measure the impact on health systems.

We all have different opinions on how leaders around the country and world have reacted, but let's stay focused on the facts and what impact COVID-19 is having on the amusement park industry.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, JubJester said:

Just throwing this in here. The main reason they've shut down big events and places with large amount of people is so they don't overwhelm the hospitals/medical facilities.

Absolutely right.  Important considerations are that slowing the spread will help treating people easier. Think about traffic.  Driving during rush hour is far more stressful than other times. 

Another consideration is that people are learning about this new virus everyday.  We already know more now than a month ago.  Mortality rates are going down rapidly.  Even if same number of people get infected, it is far better to have them get infected over 3 to 4 months than they get infected in 3 to 4 days.  Limiting social contact works.  It has been proven to work throughout history. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JubJester said:

Just throwing this in here. The main reason they've shut down big events and places with large amount of people is so they don't overwhelm the hospitals/medical facilities.

For those that missed it earlier in the thread...with numbers and graphs to substantiate the information....

On 3/12/2020 at 4:12 PM, King Ding Dong said:

For anyone that has not seen this chart, it gives a visual of what is trying to be accomplished with this mitigation tactic.  We need to slow and spread out the cases so the healthcare system is not overwhelmed, unfortunately it does tend to extend the time frame of the crisis, but hopefully will save lives.

11SCI-VIRUS-TRACKER1-superJumbo.jpg

On 3/13/2020 at 10:43 AM, disco2000 said:

This statement cannot be stressed enough!  The whole idea is to have the resources available (hospital beds and doctors and nurses, etc.) so that healthcare providers can take care of the sick.  Otherwise, projections are that there will be a demand greater than 20 patients per available hospital bed.  That means 19 people per bed per hospital do not get treated.  With almost 790,000 beds in hospitals around the country, over 15 million people sick enough to be hospitalized would be turned away due to capacity issues... and that doesn't take into account other health issues competing for those beds like cancer and other ailments... We all expect and take for granted that if we are sick enough to be hospitalized that a bed and room will be available...

The side affect of this approach is that it comes at a cost of delaying the peak time when everyone is sick as well as lengthening the time the virus sticks around.  But if that allows everyone that does get sick to be able to be treated and reduces the number of deaths, it is worth it.  This is why it was reported yesterday that because of all these measures being put in place, it is not expected that the peak will occur until mid-April or early May.

Because of this, it is strongly likely that any state Governor Orders or additional Orders from the Federal government could be extended or implemented or strengthened based on that data available at that time...

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedSummit20 said:

These viruses hate warm weather..we are into the warm season, so within the next 3-4 weeks this will be a thing of the past....

No evidence to support this hypothesis, yes it has been said by POTUS, but no topic experts agree with his assessment. Here is some information from Harvard School of Public Health Centers for Communicable Disease Dynamics. They would be considered topic experts as they are the people actually studying it. I've also included a link to the World Health Organization as well.
https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-covid-19-go-away-on-its-own-in-warmer-weather/
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

• Like 2