Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

37 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Wait a minute, if you enlist with a specified start date they can get you a year early?  What is the incentive to enlist early?

Struggling to find an appropriate link, but I believe once you have signed up, they can expedite due to 1) pending military deployment,  2) Extreme urgent situation,  or 3) Humanitarian situation

EDIT*** And probably 4) Because they said so.  :-)

EDIT #2) *** When the President calls a State of Emergency, special powers go into effect as well that probably also relate to thing like this.

28 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Struggling to find an appropriate link, but I believe once you have signed up, they can expedite due to 1) pending military deployment,  2) Extreme urgent situation,  or 3) Humanitarian situation

EDIT*** And probably 4) Because they said so.  :-)

EDIT #2) *** When the President calls a State of Emergency, special powers go into effect as well that probably also relate to thing like this.

Yep, and this is a life or death scenario for the scores about to be infected by the virus.

At this point, I would not be surprised to see parks like KI cut spring weekend-only operations, and push back opening until the typical time period when they normally begin full time operations.  There’s no way this thing is going to settle down by early April.  We’re still at surface level of the iceberg.  That having been said - they will do what’s right.  Don’t get upset, or angry or frustrated.  Any decisions they make will be done for our welfare, and the welfare of their employees.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article241201211.html

I do not understand this.  How does closing the beaches at 5PM help?  Are the beaches more crowded at night during spring break?  

Better then nothing I guess. Probably also to help the economy, probably a lot of bars and such that rely on the beach foot traffic. If they closed the beach entirely then it’d hurt those businesses.

So in best case scenario, expect this to be over by mid to late June. (Source: https://www.wtol.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-impacts-expected-for-3-months/65-23133e62-f2cf-49e9-a7c1-8b9ae1136b02)

Interesting to note, that assumes everyone knows when they’re infected, and the regularly quarantine according to CDC’s regulations. Here’s the rub: some are infected without showing symptoms, and some break quarantines as they feel they are invulnerable (see Rudy Gobert).

Either due to social distancing or vaccines, the pandemic will end. If it ends through social distancing and regular quarantines then expect it to be done by August. Otherwise expect it done by 2021.

1 minute ago, gforce1994 said:

So in best case scenario, expect this to be over by mid to late June. (Source: https://www.wtol.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-impacts-expected-for-3-months/65-23133e62-f2cf-49e9-a7c1-8b9ae1136b02)

Interesting to note, that assumes everyone knows when they’re infected, and the regularly quarantine according to CDC’s regulations. Here’s the rub: some are infected without showing symptoms, and some break quarantines as they feel they are invulnerable (see Rudy Gobert).

Either due to social distancing or vaccines, the pandemic will end. If it ends through social distancing and regular quarantines then expect it to be done by August. Otherwise expect it done by 2021.

Speaking of August, it is rumored the NBA will announce if they don't start play by August 1st, the season is done...

Our citizens are arriving from Europe ahead of the travel ban and the enhanced screening procedures appear to be a smashing social distancing success.  

If they weren’t infected prior they most certainly are now after standing in crowded lines for 8 hours.  Right before we disperse them all over the country.

• Like 2

Interesting that, as of this writing, the three states with the highest instances of Corona (Washington, New York, and California*) also have the highest population of homeless in the United States.

I do not believe that this is a coincidence, nor am I implying that the homeless are more likely to get it. However it is a little telling that areas of the country that, despite a robust economy, have fallen into such poor socionomic health are the hardest hit first is very telling. 

*Someone should write to the New York Times and inform them that Baltimore is a city, not a state. 

• Like 1

An update from South Korea has that suspected cases are dropping rapidly and recovery outpacing new cases.  At least, there are some positive news out of all these.  Not out of woods by long shot but very positive development.  It is day 16 since what is considered to be an acceleration phase in South Korea. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Well, in 2 weeks, US will be exactly like Italy, mark my words. The rate of transmission is increasing at an exponential rate.

15 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I honestly think a Nationwide lockdown would be extremely difficult to enforce in a very large country like the United States. Just my opinion. 

And just like that, we see the first curfew in this country as a response to this situation....

Residents in Hoboken, New Jersey, must stay in their homes from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. beginning Monday, a daily curfew that’s among the first and most far-reaching such measures taken in the U.S.

The response to this situation is like the game "follow the leader", once one community or business does something, the others start to follow and copy....

Governor DeWine said this morning that it will not surprise him if schools are closed for the rest of the school year.

Meanwhile, Italy reported 3.497 new cases yesterday, citing irresponsible behavior by citizens who continue to congregate despite the national lockdown.

Seeing South Korea and China (hopefully) nearing the tail end of this is very good news - but it's looking like we'll all need to adjust to a new normal for awhile if we are to beat this.

I was just at my local Kroger and I saw they are cutting their hours (7 AM-9 PM, IIRC). The shelves were not as empty as I thought they'd be (or, according to some, as they once were- according to a family friend I ran into while on my second trip, Night Crew is really helping out with restocking!), though parts of shelves were still pretty empty. During my total of two back-to-back trips, I only saw one person wearing a mask.

On a final note, I finally got a pair of shades! Whenever KI decides to open, I'll be ready! B)

• Like 1

From Korean government website daily briefing:

3/15/2020 update:

76 new cases, 8162 total

1362 Less suspected cases, 16172 total

120 recovered, 834 total

3 new death, 75 total

Third straight day of higher recovery than new cases.  This is a great sign.  The outbreak of Covid 19 happened almost at the same time as Italy. Stark difference between Korea and Italy was that Koreans started testing and treating quite seriously.  Many in Korea took this extremely serious as everyone should have and followed guidance for the most part except one cult church in Taegu. The epicenter was there because of it.  That city is totally locked down still. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

image.png

This is a good sign for Italy. Death rates are going down and recovery rates are slightly going up.

When reading graphs like this be careful in extrapolating from just a couple of recent data points. Trend lines are what is important and just eyeballing it the death rate trend line appears to still be up.  Tomorrow the next data point could be up. (Though hopefully not)

• Like 1

I saw this on Reddit, I just wanted to post it to give people an idea why this is so important.  According to the post these are the death notices in a local news paper in Bergamo, Italy.  This is showing you first February 9th and then March 13th.

• Like 1