Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Back to KI itself and Orion specifically.  Could all this delay any final inspections, state approvals, certifications etc.?  No idea what is left to do but the ability of state and local govt to deliver these services might be impacted as well.  In the grand scheme of things this could be viewed as a low priority. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

How long will this delay last? I'm bummed now.

There is no way of knowing. The statehouse said they wouldn't be surprised if schools remained closed the rest of the year. All these decisions are the best things that can be done right now at the state level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bengals fan said:

while i don't like everything being shut down i can see something had to be done or there would be a lot of funerals in our future.

Sadly, I fear there may be.

If anyone is thinking it’s a joke, it’s not. This will destroy families, kids will be raised by single parents, or lose multiple grandparents.  If you read about 1918, the stories are extremely terrifying: parents dropping dead (often due to pneumonia), spouses snapping under the stress and heartbreak, and their adolescent children left to fend for themselves.   

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, malem said:

Carry-out and delivery will still be allowed, for now, as long as there is no congregation.

Question: Does this mean drive-thru windows will still be open at restaurants that have them (such as Wendy's, Gold Star, etc.)?

My teen or 20-something self would have had a very difficult time dealing with being home bound. At 18 I was hospitalized with a virus that attacked my left optic nerve and was temporarily blind in one eye, despite that I snuck out of the hospital one night to go party with friends.  Boy was I read the riot act the next day by the doctors and my parents.  

My 50-something self is looking at all the social/family responsibilities taken off the calendar feeling a sense of relief and thinking about all the little jobs around the house I will have time to get done now. 

I have always sucked at Smash Bro’s., maybe my with some intensive training from my kids I can git gud.  :D

Look for the opportunities.

• Like 2

It is perfectly fine to joke about it as long as you are taking the steps necessary to be safe seriously.  We could use a little brevity at this point.  I would love to post Norm Macdonalds recent set in which he joked about the virus but the language used makes it inappropriate for this forum.  It is very important people take this all seriously, but some people here are laying it on a bit thick in my opinion.  Avoid crowds as much as possible, practice good hygiene, eat and sleep well to keep your immune system up, and be mindful of any new symptoms you experience.  There is nothing else you can do and there is no reason to pile on worry and stress (which kills your immune system).  Beyond what I listed everything else is pretty much beyond our control.  I hope a vaccine is available soon and treatment improves, and I hope the best for those more vulnerable than I am.  Do not live in fear, just live aware and prepared.

Edit:  just to be clear I'm not downplaying the virus, I just do not think fear or panic improves the situation.  

• Like 4

I am not on any social media (not counting this and reddit) so I'm ignorant to what that is.  That said, I love dark humor and think nothing should be off limits but it has to be funny, and that just sounds like people attempting to be edgy and lacking compassion.  Not everything has to be politicized, this is a good opportunity for us to unit and bridge some gaps instead of broadening them.  The kind of thinking "boomer remover" promotes is toxic.  Anyway, sorry for getting so off topic.

• Like 2

While we all agree it is important to take this situation seriously, it is also important to mental health that we do things to distract ourselves from time to time.  Also remember that you are healthy now because of the precautions everyone is taking.  Its not in a panic, but simply something that is what it is.  If anything about this gets you upset, let it out.  Be honest with your emotions. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

thinking about all the little jobs around the house I will have time to get done now. 

when i retired i though i had time to do all those little things . my wife hd a list of five things to do . after finishing one i only had six remaining!  honey do math is a b****

• Haha 3

On 3/14/2020 at 6:11 PM, gforce1994 said:

Well, in 2 weeks, US will be exactly like Italy, mark my words. The rate of transmission is increasing at an exponential rate.

At the national press conference today, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert says he’d like to see aggressive measures such as a 14-day national shutdown that would require Americans to hunker down more to help slow spread of the coronavirus.

If this spread continues to exceed the models, you will be correct ...

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, radishman said:

Looking more like this season is gonna be a wash. Regret buying the pass this early, but wonder if they'll give us an allowance for next year?

You have to remember the park is usually only open on weekends in April. If they were to open in May, it would start up daily operations and you would likely still have June, July, and some of August. Likely we'll see some days added to the operating calendar if this happens.

Also sorry for double post

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, radishman said:

Looking more like this season is gonna be a wash. Regret buying the pass this early, but wonder if they'll give us an allowance for next year?

You might be right, but we just don't know. Things are moving heavily towards shutting practically everything down to make this go away as soon as possible. If successful, perhaps a Summer opening is possible. Maybe hot weather helps too---nobody knows. We just don't know yet. So many unanswered questions, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

At the national press conference today, the U.S. government’s top infectious disease expert says he’d like to see aggressive measures such as a 14-day national shutdown that would require Americans to hunker down more to help slow spread of the coronavirus.

If this spread continues to exceed the models, you will be correct ...

It’s a classic Monte Carlo problem.