Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

7 minutes ago, radishman said:

Yeah I'm hoping we get something by at least the summer, but with the possibility of schools being closed till 2021 I'm preparing for no Orion rides. Of course I understand it's a day-to-day situation.

Schools closed till 2021? What? I think you misunderstood what they meant, they meant school year. Not calendar year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Schools closed till 2021? What? I think you misunderstood what they meant, they meant school year. Not calendar year.

Yeah I graduated in 03 and have no kids so I forgot about that. Still the point is things could be this way for a while so it could just mean no rides this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

If you listen/believe the mayor of NYC he's talking about 6-9 months. Which I think we can all agree sounds excessive. But it's out there.

37 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Now I'm thinking there is absolutely no way the park will open on April 11th. I'm thinking May 16th. Both KI and CP could open that day. 

At the current rate of progression I would be shocked if they open before Memorial Day.....and if the park is pushing towards August then not opening at all...

27 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

You might be right, but we just don't know. Things are moving heavily towards shutting practically everything down to make this go away as soon as possible. If successful, perhaps a Summer opening is possible. Maybe hot weather helps too---nobody knows. We just don't know yet. So many unanswered questions, but time will tell.

Actually it is to spread it out over a longer period so that the health care system isn't crippled beyond capacity...

Looking more like this season is gonna be a wash. Regret buying the pass this early, but wonder if they'll give us an allowance for next year?
Even if park opening is delayed until July, you still will have summer, fall an winter at the park.

I personally don't regret buying my pass; it's a business but I have almost 50 years of loyalty to the park. Even if I only got one visit in this year, over the years it still averages to be a huge bargain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, CheetahDrew said:

Have we thought about the possibility of if we do get a late opening (I am fairly certain the park will open at some point despite others commentary) that it may be possible to make august a full time month and/or add some weekdays to Halloween Haunt? Just a thought.

I believe once this is over businesses everywhere are going to pull out all the stops to get people in. I think everything is on the table to do it.

5 minutes ago, CheetahDrew said:

Have we thought about the possibility of if we do get a late opening (I am fairly certain the park will open at some point despite others commentary) that it may be possible to make august a full time month and/or add some weekdays to Halloween Haunt? Just a thought.

They can’t, minor labor laws.

Another huge concern with the virus, is that the hospitals won’t be able to handle a massive pandemic. Hence it’s important to flatten the curve as much as possible.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, CheetahDrew said:

How would they staff it daily in August unless school is pushed back, but if school is pushed back because of the virus then KI probably wouldn't be open anyway....too many daily staffers are students...

However, should this be over sooner than later, I could see the tourism industry push the elected officials to delay schools until after labor day as an effort to encourage vacations...

26 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

They can’t, minor labor laws.

Another huge concern with the virus, is that the hospitals won’t be able to handle a massive pandemic. Hence it’s important to flatten the curve as much as possible.

Yes, we understand this is a pandemic. "massive" pandemic even. Folks here are trying to think about some other things, sort of. Happy things.

• Thanks 1

Because people are traveling so much more than even last major pandemic in 2009, this Covid 19 is spreading faster than any other pandemic in history.  Obviously, this is extremely contagious with human immune systems not seeing the virus in the past.  Therefore, encouraging social distancing is the right thing to do. 

It is a well known phenomena that every fast spreading infection will be undercounted because many people will not know that they were exposed.  This will also reduce mortality rates in retrospect.  Like many of the past pandemics, the peak will be around 3 months long and start to mature.  1918 1919 Spanish flu had triple peaks, but the world population was weaken by WW 1 and killed over 50 million people. 

Great Britain is taking an interesting approach.  I hope they work for their own sake.  They want as many people to get exposed so that their immune system can get built up.  

This will change our "normal".  I see this having a major impact (at least initially) on all venues that offer a "buy a pass this year for next year at reduced rates".  

Many people now have hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in CF and the likelihood of a shortened season is a very real possibility.  Everyone's idea of how much shorter and it isn't worth it to them personally is relative, but I suspect if they don't open until July that many will wish they had their money back and skipped a year.

I wonder how many on the payment plan have or will stop payments....

If it goes too long, CF may decide it is better to indeed skip a year and simply honor all the passes next year...

Many people think KI will offer great incentives to entice people back.  They may, but they may not.  This isn't the Chipotle food poisoning scare or the Jack in the Box incident that only impacted one company and they were forced to offer incentives to entice people back - this impacts every company and industry.  People are going to get stir crazy with cabin fever and will flock to places once they are open.  I suspect we will not see CF offer things until after the first or second week - if they are at capacity every day, then no need to offer incentives...

This has caused tens of thousands of people to lose their jobs, some may recover when this gets under control, but many are lost forever.  Companies will go out of business.  New jobs will be created because of this.  How long does this change people's eating out habits?

We all need to do our part to help the country and economy recover.

Follow hygiene best practices.

Avoid crowded areas.

Continue to use delivery service and carry out. 

Buy gift cards to get money in employers hands so that they can stick around. 

Try not to get to greedy and demand all your money back from CF for passes bought, or other places for that matter.  In some shape or form, you will get your value - maybe it is next year.

The list goes on...but we will get through it...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

When reading graphs like this be careful in extrapolating from just a couple of recent data points. Trend lines are what is important and just eyeballing it the death rate trend line appears to still be up.  Tomorrow the next data point could be up. (Though hopefully not)

Yeah I know this is from today I’m just saying maybe this is good for Italy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

This will change our "normal".  I see this having a major impact (at least initially) on all venues that offer a "buy a pass this year for next year at reduced rates".  

Many people now have hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in CF and the likelihood of a shortened season is a very real possibility.  Everyone's idea of how much shorter and it isn't worth it to them personally is relative, but I suspect if they don't open until July that many will wish they had their money back and skipped a year.

If it goes too long, CF may decide it is better to indeed skip a year and simply honor all the passes next year...

Many people think KI will offer great incentives to entice people back.  They may, but they may not.  This isn't the Chipotle food poisoning scare or the Jack in the Box incident that only impacted one company and they were forced to offer incentives to entice people back - this impacts every company and industry.  People are going to get stir crazy with cabin fever and will flock to places once they are open.  I suspect we will not see CF offer things until after the first or second week - if they are at capacity every day, then no need to offer incentives...

This has caused tens of thousands of people to lose their jobs, some may recover when this gets under control, but many are lost forever.  Companies will go out of business.  New jobs will be created because of this.  How long does this change people's eating out habits?

Avoid crowded areas.

Try not to get to greedy and demand all your money back from CF for passes bought, or other places for that matter.  In some shape or form, you will get your value - maybe it is next year.

Oh they absolutely will cater to the customers, as companies in previous pandemics have done. 

One way they could do it is add a coaster. CW added Time Warp after the last Coronavirus.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Rustbucket said:

Great Britain is taking an interesting approach.  I hope they work for their own sake.  They want as many people to get exposed so that their immune system can get built up.  

Just wanted to comment on this.  In many ways this is an interesting social (or non-social, social distancing) experiment.  Only time is going to tell how this all plays out.  In the interest of science and knowledge I'm very curious to see how the different approaches play out, because in many ways this will provide guidance on what happens during the next outbreak of whatever is next.

One of the things that has me scratching my head right now is just how little attention has been focused on the people who are actually infected and impacted with the disease.  Rudy Gobert seems to be the poster child for this virus in the US.  It's been four days since it was discovered that he tested positive.  Yet, if you do a quick Google search on his current, actual condition there literally are a few vague sentences and a Twitter update from Rudy himself.  Why isn't the public at large asking about how the condition and mindset of health care officials and providers, about how they are doing and what we can do to support them?  What about the stories of people who have gotten sick and subsequently recovered?

I really hope that the net effect of this whole situation is that we get the see the best in people and that we get clarity on what's really important.  We've all been affected by this situation now to varying degrees.  This situation will eventually subside.  The next outbreak of something is lurking.  I simply don't want us all to be infected with fear, loneliness and despair.  There's a scripture in the Bible at Proverbs 18:14 - a person's spirit can sustain him through illness, but who can bear a crushed spirit?  I just hope that this situation doesn't crush our collective spirit.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gad198 said:

One of the things that has me scratching my head right now is just how little attention has been focused on the people who are actually infected and impacted with the disease.

Well here is something on the Princess cruise passengers at Dobbins AFB in Georgia under quarantine.  They certainly don't feel like they are being treated well.

https://news.yahoo.com/cruise-passengers-under-coronavirus-quarantine-004037463.html

Regarding resturaunt carryout and delivery.  Sonic and any other car-hop type places are going to do very well under these conditions.  In fact I just envisioned them needing traffic control on the roads with cones and traffic guides at peak times.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:42 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I honestly think a Nationwide lockdown would be extremely difficult to enforce in a very large country like the United States. Just my opinion. 

If they wanted to, they could do it in a heartbeat. If they can arrest people out illegally in a level 3 snow emergency, a virus would not be much different. 

*I don't yet expect this to happen, but it is a possibility.

7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Avoid crowded areas.

Buying gift cards is a bad idea. If you buy them and the business closes or files for bankruptcy your gift cards will not be honored.

• Thanks 1

The news/ reaction to the coronavirus reminds me of the overall feeling after 9/11.

Nobody knows what to do.  Nobody knows what is next.  Some are over-reacting.  Some are under-reacting.

At this point, pointing the blame solves nothing.  Those in decision making positions could not predict it would be like this.  I personally do not envy their position as the information they are basing the decisions being made is constantly changing at an alarming rate.

The service industry that rely on the public money walking in the door & spending is being hit INCREDIBLY hard- both employees & owners.  I hope that the government will help both entities financially.

Care about your fellow Americans.  Do what you can to not spread the disease.  Your immune system may be able to handle being sick, but that doesn't mean the person you potentially could infect can handle it.

If we are lucky, it will be behind us by Memorial Day & hear the screams of enjoyment from Orion.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 5:30 PM, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

The coronavirus isn’t going to have much of an impact. It may be killing people in other countries but we have healthcare that could easily get rid of it.

“This ship is unsinkable” said the passengers of the RMS Titanic after the ship hit an Iceberg. 

Sorry, for the rude metaphor, but it shows how ignorant people were/still are of the unfolding catastrophe with COVID-19. We need to be extremely strict as a community in enforcing it. One blogger is currently getting slammed on twitter for prioritizing a visit to a park they’ve hadn’t visited in “a few years” over public safety.

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

Buying gift cards is a bad idea. If you buy them and the business closes or files for bankruptcy your gift cards will not be honored.

Why I said "so they stick around"...

If you can't afford a $25 gift card to your favorite place, then don't be on this forum complaining when it closes...

All I am saying is we each need to do our part to get thru this...am I upset a families worth or season passes and meal and drink plans were bought last year....a little, but I have faith they will do the right thing and if they refunded all that money they would probably have to declare bankruptcy...

The buy a gift card idea came from the government recommendation, hopefully you take some of their other recommendations a little more seriously....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm not a money guy by any means. I just do my best to make it and save it so maybe this idea wouldn't work. Maybe we should kind of pause life if we can. Maybe the banks can pause mortgages and pause car payments.  This is really going to put the economy in a down fall. 

However, our health as a world as to come first. We need to take the recommendations seriously and we will see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

Maybe this is Gods way (or mother natures depending on your believes) to tell us the world needs to work together and be at peace. Stop taking life granted and slow down to enjoy each and every day  (except scientists they need to find a vaccine quickly if they can).  Stay healthy and stay sane my friends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

A lot of people are going to be on unemployment.  Buying something they can maybe use in the future is not a priority.

So someone now unemployed as a result of this wouldn't appreciate a gift card to a restaurant so they can use delivery or drive thru and get a warm meal today or tomorrow and not have to worry about how to pay for it?

Or you buy a gift card for yourself to use later this week to get food?

I'm not saying buy a $500 gift card to Furniture Fair, but a $10-$25 gift card to someplace you frequent and could use could make a difference...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

A lot of people are going to be on unemployment.  Buying something they can maybe use in the future is not a priority.

“Gift cards to some of our small, locally-owned restaurants are a fantastic way to support local businesses and help people because they’re not having to worry about meal prep or grocery shopping,” Lisle said.

Buying gift cards from local businesses gives them the immediate revenue and allows consumers to cash in on the treat when the threat of the virus has calmed.

“The most important thing is that you can’t forget about (local businesses),” Lisle said. “This is more than ever, the time that they need our support.”

https://www.postandcourier.com/journal-scene/news/buy-gift-cards-to-support-local-businesses-during-coronavirus-pandemic/article_f0c6ff08-6535-11ea-82f5-7ff777a7319b.html