Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Just now, Browntggrr said:

Buying a gift card is an educated risk. If the company doesn't survive this, you donated money to the company. If they didn't close permanently you get your goods or service at a latter date. Personally I am not willing to donate to corporations right now, but I will gladly patronize them. Carry out and food delivery is a great option right now. Stores that are still open are often doing curb side pick up for online orders, others are offering free delivery. I am not advocating for anyone to go out and spend money they don't have, but if you have a secure job and the means, supporting small business will help keep the local economy running.

At the same time everyone should keep an eye on how the markets are doing as that is one of the better indicators of how the economy is responding. Not a perfect indicator, but an indicator none the less. If you haven't taken the time to work on a budget, now would be a great time. If you have a budget, maybe dust it off to see where things stand, would also advise coming up with a plan the economy enter a recession or depression.  Making a list now of cuts that can be made to your personal budget  will only help lower the stress should you decide it is time to implement those cuts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

700WLW just reported the national quarantine news is fake news until now. 

The White House's coronavirus task force was set to give an update this morning at 10:30 a.m. ET, but a little over an hour before its scheduled start they announced it would instead take place at 3:30 p.m. ET.

Usually drastic measures come with such a delay...would not surprise me to hear a national lockdown at this press conference today...

In fact a member of this forum that is a cook at a restaurant was told last night he would be working this week as they would continue carry-out and drive thru just posted in another thread elsewhere that he was just called and told not to come in this week and possibly beyond...

• Like 1

These are going to be some dangerous times.  There is a very vocal and committed minority that is encouraging open revolt against all these measures.  Some with very large national followings.  The military and APCs out on our streets is not a good look and it shouldn't have to come to that, not here.  

My mother and father in-law are both cancer survivors in their 70s and have greatly diminished respiratory function due to that.  As of last night they still think it is all a hoax.  Nothing my wife says to them can change their minds.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

This is an interesting thread and for the most part the members of this forum should be commended for the overall civil nature of their posts.  I know there are a few exceptions and some posts have been removed, but overall it has been an informative and factual based thread.

It is also an interesting thread where one can start to figure out the age range of posters.  It is fairly easy to identify those that were not around (i.e. not born yet) for 9/11 or the LA Riots of 1992 or the Cincinnati Riots of 2001. 

Because of this, many of the youngin’s posts haven’t aged well in this thread…but for the most part people have been civil and lightly educated them instead of bashing them.  Good job to those doing it right!

Not that this current situation compares to any of those situations as this is something unprecedented that really nobody has experienced to this level, but those of us around to live through them probably have a better handle of understanding and accepting the ever changing restrictive measures being put in place.

In fact, I told my family on Saturday that we should visit the local café that is always empty on Sunday because I believed that may be our last time being able to eat out for awhile and let’s support the local.  Turns out as we were in the car on the ride home listening to the press conference (yes I listen or watch everyone of them to remain educated and informed of the current situation), the Ohio Governor had declared all restaurants and bars would be closing at 9pm that night and only carry-out and delivery would continue.

I am pleasantly surprised that this thread hadn’t completely derailed with inappropriate politics and comments to the point it was shut down.  Let’s hope in the weeks to come that this site can remain civil and friendly and be a useful source for information!

• Like 6

All restaurants and bars have been shut down by the governor in Kentucky. National quarantine is coming.
That is false and misleading, most likely influenced by the attention grabbing headlines on social media posts by WKYT and WBRB. What he said was that as of 5 pm, those establishments are to close done in options. They can still offer carry out, drive thru and curb side service as well as delivery. He even encouraged people to support these businesses and committed to doing so for his family at least three meals per week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

“This ship is unsinkable” said the passengers of the RMS Titanic after the ship hit an Iceberg. 

Sorry, for the rude metaphor, but it shows how ignorant people were/still are of the unfolding catastrophe with COVID-19. We need to be extremely strict as a community in enforcing it. One blogger is currently getting slammed on twitter for prioritizing a visit to a park they’ve hadn’t visited in “a few years” over public safety.

I obviously have a change of mind from recent events. I still think all of this national quarantine stuff is crap though. Just my opinion.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

I obviously have a change of mind from recent events. I still think all of this national quarantine stuff is crap though. Just my opinion.

Alot of people go to the ER for the sniffles in normal time. The idea of the quarantine is too keep from overwhelming the hospitals so we give the best chance of having the available doctors, nurses and equipment to treat. 

I don't really know how a national lockdown would work in the United States. It works in Italy since it is a smaller country. But a country the size of the US, it would be a little hard to enforce even with the military involved imo. Especially since I know there would be a ton of Americans who won't follow those very simple instructions. 

47 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Just in case you guys weren't aware OH Governor Mike DeWine typically holds a Corona virus press conference at 2pm every day incase you wanted to hear the daily updates from him and several members of his team.

Re-posting a previous post about how to get factual information.  I have been watching his press conferences and highly recommend everyone does as a way to get facts straight from the source.

This is a rapidly changing situation, and we all need to be fluid and listen to the experts for our advice. I personally am using Ohio Department of Health (ODH) as my source for advice, others might choose to use the CDC or World Health Organization.  I chose ODH as they are taking a science based approach with Dr. Amy Acton using her medical background to advise Governor Dewine, and he is just the talking head acting out that advice vs trying to put a political spin on it. They are hosting a press conference every day at 2 pm, you can find it streaming on most local media or from the Ohio Channel, often found on TV with the PBS stations or at their website  http://ohiochannel.org/live ,and more official source information can be found at https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/.

• Like 2

@Hawaiian Coasters 325 IF it comes to that.  Nothing is going to be 100% and it is not like we have the Stazi or informants on every corner like John Wick or Handmaids Tale but National Guard checkpoints on interstate highway access points will slow movement down a ton.  Rogue commerce can be severely restricted by the banking system. If your credit card processor cuts you off you are now a cash only business.  Not so easy to do these days.  When this is over rouge business can be prosecuted. Better to just obey than make a short term profit and then loose it all.  Lower daily cash withdrawal limits can be imposed.

Some may forget or not know it’s official name is Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.  

The initial funding was largely justified as a method for the military to quickly react during war or other national crisis with controlled access. 

To be positive for a moment - I have already seen some good come of this...

I am a member of my community's Facebook group.  It covers neighborhoods spanning about a 2-mile radius.  Typically, it's used as a sort of Neighborhood watch system - like "Beware, package theif" or "Someone's dog got loose" or "Beware a kid threw eggs at our car" etc etc etc.

But the board has turned so that neighbors are binding together and helping those that may need assistance.  Offering free childcare, offering to run pick up necessities for those shut in etc.  They are going as far as to check in/account for elderly neighbors that live alone - just to make sure they are ok.

As Mr Rogers always said in times of crisis "Look for the helpers."

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't really know how a national lockdown would work in the United States. It works in Italy since it is a smaller country. But a country the size of the US, it would be a little hard to enforce even with the military involved imo. Especially since I know there would be a ton of Americans who won't follow those very simple instructions. 

I agree. Most European nations are the size of US states. It would basically be a quarantine of Europe. And it would be a logistical nightmare (the way I see it) for the US to quarantine over 300 million people. 

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Why I said "so they stick around"...

If you can't afford a $25 gift card to your favorite place, then don't be on this forum complaining when it closes...

All I am saying is we each need to do our part to get thru this...am I upset a families worth or season passes and meal and drink plans were bought last year....a little, but I have faith they will do the right thing and if they refunded all that money they would probably have to declare bankruptcy...

The buy a gift card idea came from the government recommendation, hopefully you take some of their other recommendations a little more seriously....

And why would I go on a King's Island forum to complain about a $25 gift card lost due to my favorite "place"? That would be really stupid to come on here and start complaining that my favorite restaurant say Roosters for example wouldn't honor a hypothetical gift card purchase. 

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I agree. Most European nations are the size of US states. It would basically be a quarantine of Europe. And it would be a logistical nightmare (the way I see it) for the US to quarantine over 300 million people. 

“We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” - JFK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It's called Martial Law. I think when you are told you could be shot on sight if caught out and about, people might start rethinking their decisions.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

While it was publicized that Disney World closed the college student dorms and told the residents to go home, I have not seen a lot of reporting about that they have also told the international workers to move out.  The countries in EPCOT have traditionally been staffed by individuals from those countries, all of them lost their jobs last week.  Disney World is also firing live entertainment employees, no idea what percentage but I have seen several acts reporting they were let go.

Its pretty obvious Disney has no plans to reopen the parks anytime soon, they are shutting down for a while.