Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

39 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

It's called Martial Law. I think when you are told you could be shot on sight if caught out and about, people might start rethinking their decisions.   

What the hell are you talking about?

Even if a "national lockdown" or ordered closure of non-essential businesses occurs, we're a far way from martial law—let alone the national guard gunning people down in the streets.

That's not even occurring in other nations.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

It's called Martial Law. I think when you are told you could be shot on sight if caught out and about, people might start rethinking their decisions.   

I believe the most that would happen if we were to go on lockdown is if caught out, you would likely get ticketed if you aren't out for a certain purpose (like going to the doctor or getting food). 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe the most that would happen if we were to go on lockdown is if caught out, you would likely get ticketed if you aren't out for a certain purpose (like going to the doctor or getting food). 

Just like today skin color can influence that outcome.

• Thanks 1

The order in San Fransisco and surrounding areas is that all residents stay at home except for essential work or for other essential needs (including food). Failure to comply will be a misdemeanor, and the order is currently set to last 3 weeks, from midnight tonight until April 7. Homeless individuals are exempt from the order to stay home.

The more everyone can comply with existing restrictions, the less severe future restrictions will need to be to keep the curve "flattened".

• Like 3

How about we just turn off Facebook and mothball the servers until this is over so all the employees can stay home?  

Also:  April 4th ACT was postponed until June 13th.  The May 2nd SAT was cancelled outright.   Youngest got the SAT in on Saturday, but was really counting on the ACT. Bummer.  :(

1 minute ago, stashua123 said:

I would be very, very surprised to see KI or other April opening parks open on time. 

Me too but we don't yet know how the virus acts in warmer weather. The number of new cases in China is starting a down turn.  It appears it's starting to run its course. Hopefully the if the citizens in the United States listen we will get past this and be on a down turn before we known it. Problem is people have to listen. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Me too but we don't yet know how the virus acts in warmer weather.

But we do.  It is summer in Australia and It is spreading.  

There is some theorizing virus survival has more to do with humidity than temperature.  I don’t know why they haven’t studied this and know the answer to that by now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ It appears to be on at the moment, but I would expect further legal action with respect to the primary. The news moves fast these days.

With all the confusion amid the current crises, I think it's highly likely that in-person voting, mail-in voting, or both are somehow extended beyond tomorrow.

In the good news department, the first clinical trials of a candidate vaccine have begun, though the estimate is still 12-18 months for availability assuming they are successful. Other candidate vaccines are in development around the world.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Virus' DO spread in summer. Just not as widespread. You can get a cold in summer for sure---we've all been there, just not as much as winter. The Australia numbers are worth watching though. Most of their cases arrived on airplanes. Do I believe hot weather will end coronavirus? No. Do I believe hot weather is likely to slow-down its spread? You bet! The sun's UV-rays alone cleanse outdoor spaces. Not to mention heat. It's a thing. Getting complacent? No.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

There is some theorizing virus survival has more to do with humidity than temperature.  I don’t know why they haven’t studied this and know the answer to that by now.  

Actually it is Autumn right now (March 1st), but yeah the warm months and wildfires didn't kill it....

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Actually it is Autumn right now (March 1st), but yeah the warm months and wildfires didn't kill it....

But was it there during that period? When was the first case recorded? If it came by traveler into the country after the fact, heat and fires may not been interactive with the virus enough to claim yes or no. 

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

There has been years of work on why there is a cold and flu season, but it is still inconclusive to an extent.  The best explanation we have at this point is due to a coating on the virus which basically melts in higher temperatures and hardens into a protective coating at lower temperatures.  Combined with the fact that the warm moist air is likely easier on your respiratory system and the cold and flu seems to die out in the summer.  Even though it is still possible to get sick and spread these diseases.  Note if these assumptions are accurate it will be easier to get infected indoors this summer then outdoors due to the temperature difference.  I will be very surprised if this virus somehow was wildly different from related diseases and it was totally unaffected by temperature.

I feel like Australia is a good example of the fact that the virus transmission is likely to slow with warmer weather.  The Australian department of health has statistics on how many infected there are and even details where they got the virus originally.  Out of 375 confirmed cases, 189 of them occurred overseas.  Slightly more than half of all their cases did not occur in Australia.  I would expect more cases of community infection if it was as easily spread as it is in the northern hemisphere.

Every single case in Hawaii is due to overseas travel, not one person has been found which became infected through community spread.

Warmer temperatures are unlikely to be a cure all which totally prevents transmission, but I suspect they will help.  This is why I say the spread is likely to slow, but to my knowledge I have never said it will totally stop this summer.

Combine widespread testing, with isolation, and quarantine of infected individuals, and warmer temperatures, and I see how it should be possible to stop this in the next 2 or 3 months.  But people who will not isolate like this individual in Kentucky, are not helping.  I still think a semi-normal summer is actually possible at this point, not sure I would say likely, but possible.  I personally think the first step needs to be to figure out just how many people are infected and that requires a LOT more testing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

This didn’t make sense to me because it is not like the solstice and equinox are different in the Southern Hemisphere, it is after all the same planet.  Spring doesn’t start until March 21st.  So I googled.  Turns out there are the astronomical seasons which vary by a few days each year and the meteorological seasons which are defined by hard calendar dates.  In the US we use the astronomical seasons but Australia uses the meteorological so the seasons do not align perfectly.

The More You Didn’t Want to Know. :D

https://www.calendarpedia.com/when-is/fall.html

5 hours ago, stashua123 said:

I would be very, very surprised to see KI or other April opening parks open on time. 

Yeah well with a limit of only 10 per train capacity would suck on all the coasters anyway. :lol:

Spring Break in Hawaii?  Ibiza just didn’t cut it for you?

Breaking: Primary off by order of Dr. Acton.  Not safe for poll workers or public.

11 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

Incase you guys weren’t aware a judge struck down Mike DeWines attempt to postpone tomorrow’s election. I believe the election is still going to occur tomorrow. 

During his presser yesterday, DeWine stated that he expected a legal challenge and he expected his order to be overturned, but that the health department could and would shut it down after that legal procedure, which is what happened.

None of us can accurately predict the future.  But I would say that when the park opens, we should support it by spending money there (loosen up the purse strings and don't let this be a "my pass(es) get me in and I'm not spending a dime extra!" season)).  Secondly, while this is going to have a large impact on Cedar Fair, they have proven they can be nimble.  In the 2018 season, there were several bad weather days and people here were basically foretelling gloom and doom as the company acknowledged it and the share price fell.  By adjusting strategies, the company ended the year breaking records and as a result we get Grand Carnivale.  

Who knows--a wounded SIX going into this pandemic may be a takeover target, or even SEAS, with their massive spending spree lately.  I'd welcome the southern parks with open arms, would be a great mix to offset the northern parks that are closed.

• Like 1

I do agree it could be a good time to acquire some new parks in the chain. I wonder if SIX would be willing to part with individual parks. Six Flags Fiesta Texas could be a good park for Cedar Fair to pick up. Sea World parks could give them more revenue in off season months. Going to be interesting that is for sure. 

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

But I would say that when the park opens, we should support it by spending money there (loosen up the purse strings and don't let this be a "my pass(es) get me in and I'm not spending a dime extra!" season)).

But those are the days I come home happiest.  I guess you are right, I hear Don is in desperate need of a new wing on his mansion and Chad is getting cramped in that van down by the Little Miami river, we should help out. I will try and spend extra money on my visits but only on one condition.

Spoiler

The Rivertown Free Style must be open the whole time I am there.  :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

None of us can accurately predict the future.  But I would say that when the park opens, we should support it by spending money there (loosen up the purse strings and don't let this be a "my pass(es) get me in and I'm not spending a dime extra!" season)). 

If the Orion merchandise looks good then they’ll be getting my money. 

• Like 1