Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

25 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Oh I know, and so I am I.  I would love to not have to compete with Fast Lane users to ride Orion...one of the beauties of pass holder preview day is we are all considered "equal" in terms of waiting in line! 

I had heard that Passholders with all season flp would be able to use it on preview night and during ert.

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

My situation is potentially a bit more complex because I renewed through Canada's Wonderland to take advantage of the exchange rate and I couldn't take advantage of the fall renewal perks at CP or KI anyway.  Not a lawyer and especially know zero about Canadian laws, but I presume whatever they do with CW pass-holders will have to abide by Canadian laws.  That outcome could potentially be different than for those with US park passes.  Who knows. 

There is more that we don't know than we do know about how everything is going to play out so I really get why CF has not rolled out a plan yet.  It would have to be this giant flow chart with all the IF (this happens) THEN (this occurs.) branches and they still couldn't cover every possible contingency.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they don't put out a plan until at least one of the parks is cleared to open.  

Another thing to keep in mind the govt report that got leaked yesterday assumes 18 months of rolling outbreaks.  Meaning the virus could be choked out in a particular area, restrictions are eased and then at some point later if flares up again in that area and then we back to restrictions.  If CF did roll out some sort of plan right now, more than likely circumstances would change and then they have to go through it all again.  Better to just wait.

I agree. I believe that a lot of businesses are having the same discussions behind closed doors.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

I had heard that Passholders with all season flp would be able to use it on preview night and during ert.

Historically they were not...doesn't mean it won't change though... I know other than Steel Vengeance, you could get many rides in at Cedar Point in that first hour of ERT before Fast Lane was allowed in...I have been at the top steps of Valravn and within minutes of getting on and then ERT was over and the mad rush of Fast Lane delayed me getting on...

• Like 1

What is interesting about the Knotts solution of extending your pass by a certain number of days into the next season, is there isn't "compensation" for the season passholder that buys a pass every year.   Say, Knotts is closed for 4 months this year, well for 2021 they don't have to buy a pass until May 1, 2021.  At which point they would need to buy a 2021 pass (presumably at full cost). 

No matter what they do there will be "winners" and "losers" for those that think in those terms.  Talking about all this is an interesting diversion, but what happens to the $1600 I spent is really on the bottom of my list of concerns right now.  Keeping an income stream going, a roof over my head, my kids still learning and everyone healthy are much more important.  (and of course the ever important supply of TP) :lol:

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

There is the compensation!

Season pass cost reimbursement will be in the form of in TP not being used in the parks...........

:rolleyes:

One reason they are not going to open the parks soon is all the restrooms would be immediately stripped of TP.  "Come on kids, hurry up and lets go we need to drop all this off at home and we still have a 4 hour drive up to CP, we will get some ice cream up there"

The parks are going to need security stations when you leave the park as well.:lol:

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

My situation is potentially a bit more complex because I renewed through Canada's Wonderland to take advantage of the exchange rate and I couldn't take advantage of the fall renewal perks at CP or KI anyway.  Not a lawyer and especially know zero about Canadian laws, but I presume whatever they do with CW pass-holders will have to abide by Canadian laws.  That outcome could potentially be different than for those with US park passes.  Who knows. 

There is more that we don't know than we do know about how everything is going to play out so I really get why CF has not rolled out a plan yet.  It would have to be this giant flow chart with all the IF (this happens) THEN (this occurs.) branches and they still couldn't cover every possible contingency.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they don't put out a plan until at least one of the parks is cleared to open.  

Another thing to keep in mind the govt report that got leaked yesterday assumes 18 months of rolling outbreaks.  Meaning the virus could be choked out in a particular area, restrictions are eased and then at some point later it flares up again in that area and then we are back to restrictions.  If CF did roll out some sort of plan right now, more than likely circumstances would change and then they have to go through it all again.  Better to just wait.

So in your situation, Wonderland is now considered your "home park".  

Canada just shut down their border to all non-essential travel indefinitely.  What if that ban exists the entire year then even if the park opens, you cannot visit your "home park"...

Maybe you personally were not going to visit that park anyway, but there has to be a lot of pass holders living in the states that Wonderland is their closest CF park...

And I am sure CF has pass holders that live outside of North America - what to do if they cannot travel here or back..

Or Canadians that bought a CP gold pass...

As you said elsewhere, the WHAT IF, THEN scenarios businesses are running to figure out what to do will be interesting...

• Like 1

Ford, GM and Fiat Chrysler all shutting down US production.   That is a lot of idled workers. 

Yeah, getting up to CW was a reach goal this year and was unlikely anyway.  

The Scout Troop is running a flower sale fundraiser right now of flats and hanging baskets.  We haven’t gone out yet but starting to think knocking door to door isn’t really appropriate right now.  

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

88 cases in Ohio.

It's going to spike.  Not necessarily because there are a ton of "new" cases- though that may be the case- but with all of the testing kits coming online, we're going to discover infections "already" present that weren't accounted for.

The whole arc of human history has been marked with chaos: disease, famine, drought, floods, earth quakes, more disease, war, etc... This is our turn to go through it collectively.  Looking at the stats and how this has emerged I'm kind of surprised that a certain level of sequester didn't occur during the Swine Flu pandemic a decade ago.  I know, it's not apples-to-apples, but it was serious.

When all is said and done... and this will be temporary, there is no other place I'd rather live in the "aftermath" than in the US.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Going into history mode for a minute on this- the first of what is considered to be the golden age of amusement parks and roller coasters ended during the Great Depression.

Could we see a repeat of that in some form with this situation?

I think the major chain parks will be fine.  The smaller parks are more of what I'm worried about during all this.  

• Like 3

Based on stock/share/unit valuation alone, SIX, SEAS and FUN have taken a whoppin.

"As a result, Six Flags now has the largest market cap of the three companies, at $1.089 billion, while Cedar Fair is down to a $982.6 million market cap, and SeaWorld is worth just $688 million."

Source:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Based on stock/share/unit valuation alone, SIX, SEAS and FUN have taken a whoppin.

"As a result, Six Flags now has the largest market cap of the three companies, at $1.089 billion, while Cedar Fair is down to a $982.6 million market cap, and SeaWorld is worth just $688 million."

There's another thread for this, but the market is an interesting thing. As of today, I would value the Amusement Park industry at basically $0. Their business is shot, and even their major assets aren't worth much of anything. Of course, over time that will change. Roller-coaster-market for sure right now!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Hold up.   The Coke Freestyle machines must be worth something.  :P

I certainly will be there at the liquidation auction.  :ph34r:

Something tells me Freestyle machines are going to feel very nostalgic very soon. I like them, but I don't know, man.  ;-) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A little off topic, but Fox19 posted on Facebook about a rumor that there were military people at Kings Island. They did say they couldn't see it, but I don't know how much truth there is to this. 

Calling in the National Guard to fix the parking lot sounds a bit extreme, but you're not going to see me complaining.

• Haha 8

31 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Hold up.   The Coke Freestyle machines must be worth something.  :P

I certainly will be there at the liquidation auction.  :ph34r:

Good luck paying to stock them.

At least I can get Vanilla Coke outside the Freestyle Machines.  All the Sprite and Minute Maid flavors need to become a thing, though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

A little off topic, but Fox19 posted on Facebook about a rumor that there were military people at Kings Island. They did say they couldn't see it, but I don't know how much truth there is to this. 

Chad called that out as false on Twitter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I am truly astounded a PR professional for CF would align themselves with such a controversial political ideology publicly, especially at this moment.   I mean truly astounded.  :(

You're gonna have to explain this post to me. "controversial political ideology"? I honestly have no idea what you're referring to. Please explain.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I am truly astounded a PR professional for CF would align themselves with such a controversial political ideology publicly, especially at this moment.   I mean truly astounded.  :(

Huh? He just said that the story was fake. Doesn’t seem to be really aligning himself with anything

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

FakeNews means exactly one thing and one thing only.  And it isn’t “false”.  It means “enemy of the people” and is used multiple times per day to suppress the truth.  Ever hear of Twitter? 

KI Central is not the place for politics. To many of us Fake News means false information. Which is real. There actually is Fake News. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Benjamin22 @bjcolglazier I think because since a certain political leader coinded the term "fake news", @King Ding Dong thinks Chad is showing a certain type of political loyalty. Not everything is political.

I don't see it that way. The #fakenews hashtag was used to explain that: fake news. 

I see Facebook advertisements that specifically say "fake news", in them

If I'm working for a company in the PR department and there's false information, I'm going to say it. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

FakeNews means exactly one thing and one thing only.  And it isn’t “false”.  It means the media is the “enemy of the people” and is used multiple times per day to suppress the truth.  Ever hear of Twitter? 

@King Ding Dong hope no hard feelings. But I don't think Chad was making a political statement. It obviously triggered, but I don't think that was the intention. 

13 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

@King Ding Dong hope no hard feelings. But I don't think Chad was making a political statement. It obviously triggered, but I don't think that was the intention. 

None at all.  At best I would call the tweet sloppy.  

Edit: Perhaps one may try to understand how a member of the media feels about that term and the historical significance  of “enemy of the people”.  The two are almost always used in the same sentence and interchangeably.

• Like 2