Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

2 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Don't know what else to do other than to take this day by day but one thing I do know is a I think the world has forever changed. 

That's an interesting topic to think about. Are you guys thinking this more in terms of government or everyday people?

I think it's effects on everyday people may be more interesting. Will people that lived through it always keep a bigger store of supplies? Well they value small things they take for granted?

People do tend to have short memories though. 9/11 irrevocably changed the world in some regards. I can't see a low flying plane without just for a bit thinking it might be hijacked. However, I'd say the unity and togetherness after that day dissapated relatively quickly unfortunately. 

44 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

My Great Grandpa Smith lived through The Great Depression and when he died and we went to clean up his house, we found that he always stored jars because he never knew when he would need them. 

I've heard similar stories about the generation who lived through the Depression. They always would act as if there might not be a next meal because for many years there wasn't one for a while.

Thankfully,  I don't think this will reach the hardship levels of the Great Depression which itself became a way of life for over a decade. I was thinking about that generation myself when I made the post. Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, KI Guy said:

That's an interesting topic to think about. Are you guys thinking this more in terms of government or everyday people?

I think it's effects on everyday people may be more interesting. Will people that lived through it always keep a bigger store of supplies? Well they value small things they take for granted?

People do tend to have short memories though. 9/11 irrevocably changed the world in some regards. I can't see a low flying plane without just for a bit thinking it might be hijacked. However, I'd say the unity and togetherness after that day dissapated relatively quickly unfortunately. 

Depends, my parents house burnt down when I was 14, the biggest loss was all pictures of family and friends including ones who passed away. 20+years later I still burn pics to a disc and have a bank box for them.

Think it would depend how much people will personally struggle through all this and what was hard on them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, malem said:

Here's a very interesting look at infection models with different mitigation strategies, looking specifically at how long the strictest lockdown measures might need to last:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

It is interesting reading that article and the additional chart buried in it for those that didn't make it that far that shows that heavy social distancing is recommended to occur until end of August (light blue area on chart)...which if that is the path our country takes then a mid-May opening is out of the question...

Now lot's of unknowns and variables have yet to happen and the next 10-15 days will be crucial in determining what path this country is going to take...and while it is great to see CF anticipate a mid-May opening (which they did qualify or as soon as possible after) it is really a guess like we are all making at this point...and as General Manager & Vice President of Cedar Point has said "It is important to remember that Cedar Fair is a publicly traded company and that affects the type and timing of our communication."

In these uncertain and unprecedented times, it would be foolish to put too much stock in this announcement and alter plans based around this...as it could have been put out for stock purposes (Fun stock closed up 16.7% today)...as well as to probably put to bed all the calls and requests they are getting for refunds...

As I mentioned early, I am going to assume they do not re-open this year so that I can be pleasantly surprised when they do...

image.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malem said:

Our trajectory thus far doesn't look good. Let's all hope the curve gets flattened soon.

Kind of hard to compare a country like the US with any of those European countries. Our population is so massive compared to any of them that we are bound to have a significantly sharper increase on a chart measuring the number of cases.

8 hours ago, PatchesC said:

Depends, my parents house burnt down when I was 14, the biggest loss was all pictures of family and friends including ones who passed away. 20+years later I still burn pics to a disc and have a bank box for them.

Think it would depend how much people will personally struggle through all this and what was hard on them. 

I can't imagine losing a home and irreplaceable things like family photos. It has to be the worst physical thing that someone can lose.

I can say now at least for me I'll consider pandemics we can't treat well as a new possibility in my mind.

I was a kid when 9/11 happened, but I'd imagine and people can attest to this or not, but I'd imagine most Americans did not think of the possibility of terrorism happening to them. Now I see it as at least a possibility and I think I'll think similarly about a largely untreatable pandemic. 

23 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Kind of hard to compare a country like the US with any of those European countries. Our population is so massive compared to any of them that we are bound to have a significantly sharper increase on a chart measuring the number of cases.

China is included on that chart as well, so there's more to it than population size. We're still at a relatively low number compared to our population, but that will quickly change if our trajectory does not.

That graph is on a logarithmic scale, so a constant slope represents an exponential rise. If we see strict social distancing, the line should start to level off as it has with other countries, as each person who is infected has fewer interactions to spread it.

Since our response has been slower than other countries, time really is of the essence to make this happen.

5 minutes ago, malem said:

China is included on that chart as well, so there's more to it than population size. We're still at a relatively low number compared to our population, but that will quickly change if our trajectory does not.

That graph is on a logarithmic scale, so a constant slope represents an exponential rise. If we see people respect social distancing rules, the line should start to level off as it has with other countries.

Since our response has been slower than other countries, time really is of the essence to make this happen.

China also has the perk of being an authoritarian police state, which definitely helps people follow protocols.

• Like 2

I would hope with just about everything being shut down, the curve will start to drop faster. I still think there will be a rise in cases over the next 2 weeks but after that I would think there will start to be a drop. I think the next steps should be limiting the number of people going into stores at once. Walmart is still overcrowded. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thabto said:

I would hope with just about everything being shut down, the curve will start to drop faster. I still think there will be a rise in cases over the next 2 weeks but after that I would think there will start to be a drop. I think the next steps should be limiting the number of people going into stores at once. Walmart is still overcrowded. 

I heard that the Costco near me is doing this exact thing: limiting the number of people in their store (warehouse?). Not sure if that measure has been implemented anywhere else.

Here's an interesting account from a medical worker in New Orleans, which is currently experiencing a surge of cases. Some even relatively young patients there experiencing respiratory failure. Follow guidelines from your health officials and stay safe, everyone!

https://www.propublica.org/article/a-medical-worker-describes--terrifying-lung-failure-from-covid19-even-in-his-young-patients

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thabto said:

The problem is with the lack of testing, there isn't a way to track where the virus is spreading, and thus we don't know where it may be concentrated and where it has the potential to be spreading faster, and the CDC can't respond by doing more detailed work.  I expect that curve to be going nowhere but up for a while. 

And then you have situations like in Florida where the curve is no doubt going up.  

• Like 2

From hotels.com if anyone has any non-refundable reservations coming up.

Customers with Lodging Bookings (non-package/bundle):

• For customers who booked a non-refundable rate prior to March 19, 2020 for stays between March 20, 2020, and April 30, 2020, we will email you in the coming days to ask if you wish to keep or cancel your existing booking. If you decide to cancel, you will be eligible for a full refund or, in some cases, a voucher allowing you to rebook the original property at later dates. There is no need to call us, however you must cancel your booking at least 24-hours before check-in in order to be eligible for this offer.
  • Like 2

Businesses must have a license and insurance information on public file. Several times I have seen business acting improperly change their tune very fast when citizens have informed the insurance policy issuers of said behavior.  In some circumstances this can be a faster and more effective hammer than govt. regulators.  Just sayin.