Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

10 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

That's Kaiser Permanente for ya. Although they may be technically correct, what would they do if every single nurse, tech, resident, dietician, therapist, chaplain, doctor, housekeeper, chaplain, etc all came in with a mask in protest?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hmmm.   Seen this movie before.  They fire 5 of them every hour on the hour until the rest submit.  Seems to work most of the time.  :(

The timeline is going to come down to how many idiots don't listen to the government (state and federal). Please look at how far China and Italy are in this process. China saw zero new cases the other day. Italy, as of yesterday, had total new cases drop. They are between two and four weeks ahead of us. That should give us a timeline.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

My, my someone seems to be itching for Easter Orion Opening.  This is a good thing, right?

9 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I see what you did....does anyone else LOL

3 hours ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

Seems like you can't seem to not get political regardless of how many times it is asked. 

17 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I do not believe this fits the Merriam-Webster definition of politics, but you are free to disagree.  

And here I thought your pun was about a side-effect of hydroxychloroquine being itching...

• Like 1

During today's Covid-19 update from Governor DeWine (and Dr. Acton and Lt. Governor Husted), there was a brief aside from John Husted that may be of particular importance for Kings Island and Cedar Point.

Essentially what he said is that even after they start opening businesses back up, the social distancing requirements (6 feet between people, etc) will remain in place for a while longer to make sure we don't create a second spike.

Obviously, it is not exactly possible for amusement parks to operate under those stipulations, so I would expect KI and CP to be among the last businesses in the state to reopen.

• Like 4

I'm hoping for some miracle-combination of warm weather and medicinal knowledge to tackle this thing early so we can enjoy the parks in June. I understand that is optimistic-talk. Every day advances are being made by doctors, I think. New techniques to save lives, and all that. I'm not gonna say "cure" because technically there is no cure for a virus other than a vaccine, but if doctors figure out how to bring people out of this successfully we could indeed see a "miracle". Time is on our side if we can slow this thing down, and let scientists figure it out. Not saying it will happen, but just hoping. 

• Like 3

If they started closed till June it would push any spike and that spike would be drastically reduced to late October nov when most things would slow down again. By waiting they could save summer so to speak and go from there is mainly to give the time needed to produce the tests care etc needed to test that spike. The longer the wait now the smaller the spike and the smaller the scale of deaths decreased dramatically. Even just going to mid May is quite the substantial reduction that could deem safe to Re open with special measures.   

i could actually see smaller parks like ki and Dollywood etc opening up  before disney and the like because the ratio of local even border state local Vs crosscountry wide and international draw is smaller than places like disney and universal. Yes international people come to our smaller parks but not at the mass they do at disney.  I’ve never seen 10k+ Brazilians at once at ki but I have seen that many plus  at disney at once. ( picked only because I literally saw the herds of them when I worked there) and we knew the numbers because I worked front gate) 

source for the graph is NY times: not sure if I should link don’t want people getting in a tizzy over the title but the interactive graphing from the epidemic experts is where I based my opinion on.  

10 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

First operating day on schedule, that’s listed in the App is June 1st.859A9F16-6A46-4CED-956C-C4C3BEF2ADCB.jpeg

I would argue that even a June 1 opening is pushing it. I would love to be wrong, but with the way things are going, I could see Kings Island opening mid to late June or even in July or August.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I would argue that even a June 1 opening is pushing it. I would love to be wrong, but with the way things are going, I could see Kings Island opening mid to late June or even in July or August.

That's definitely not completely off the table. However, I think the park is going to do whatever they can to open as soon as they can. Whether that will be the planned reopening in late May or later is to be seen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

There is no reason to open in August with limited employees during that time.

5 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

3 hours ago, coaster sally said:

There is no reason to open in August with limited employees during that time.

Another thing to consider, and I know several people have said this as well, including myself, that many will still fear being around people even after the all-clear is given.  It will take time to return to some sort of “normalcy”.

For example purposes, if for some reason the park is able to open August 15th, by that time most of the company picnics and what not will have been cancelled and that is a significant revenue stream.

A lot of people have lost their jobs and/or will use their discretionary funds differently, so maybe the daily admission revenue disappears as they use the money on other things.

Cedar Fair announced that last year season pass holders made up around 50% of the attendance, thus company outings and daily admission make up the rest.

If they lose the company outings and daily admission portion, a significant “new” revenue stream is now gone.

They already have the pass holder money, so if they project that opening After August 15th results in the only attendance they would get for the rest of the year would be pass holders with meal and drink plans, then they lose money opening this year as they would have expenditures with no new revenue stream…

Under this scenario, if they open August 15th and announce all 2020 passes purchased will be valid in 2021, then they lose even more money by opening in August because they would have expenditures the rest of 2020 and then all of 2021.

If the projections are that only 10 percent (or whatever percent they decide) would be daily admissions or company outings if they open after August 15th (or whatever date they use to make the decision), financially at some point it makes sense to not open and to have your 2020 season pass only valid for calendar year 2021 and not 5 months of 2020 and all of 2021…

Will they have people take to Facebook and complain KI is never getting any of their money ever again in this situation - yes - but no matter what they do, people are going to say that - people are already saying that now.  They will use all their information and take into account the number of people that would "never visit again" and if that is offset by new people that would be enticed by whatever pass offerings they offer for 2021, then that is what they will do.

• Like 3

Another thing to consider is what the park experience will be like in getting return visitors/new pass holders.  I imagine the park won't open at full operations, whether it'd be opening less rides, rides having less capacity (if they go by the Japanese examples brought up here- we're talking half or less capacity on everything) to try and fit in social distancing, etc.  A lot of that will be a turn off along with the word of mouth of those happenings.  

1 hour ago, medford said:

If they don't open until August, is there much reason to open at all?  Schools will head back to school (in some form or fashion) in Mid August; seems like finding work for such a shortened season would be very, very difficult.

I can't speak about what an August opening would look like attendance-wise, but something tells me there will be a lot of people more than happy to fill any job openings.