Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

58 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I say if the park can't open in July, that is when it will make sense to just cancel the 2020 season and make everyone's season passes available for 2021. 

The park will open, as long as laws allow it.  Even if it is in August.  

• Like 2

I tried to look at the park hours for August, but it appears that info was taken down (along w/ the whole seasonal calendar).  Typically, they go from full day operations to weekend operations around mid to late August, so lets say August 23 as the end of daily operations.  If they don't open until August 1st, that would be 23 days of full day operation, 2 weekends of operations, then whatever weekends they added on thru and including Haunt.

That is a very short window to recoup the cost it will take to train and hire the number of employees the park needs to operate.  Additionally, I think it would be hard to hire the regular number of associates it normally hires, if you are a HS or college kid that is heading back to school in mid August, are you really going to bother with a job that you can only work for 2 weeks?  Additionally, there will inevitably be a handful of days in that time frame that are virtual (if not literal) washouts due to inclement weather.

There is also the risk, especially with a new coaster, that if they did open, they would be crushed in capacity in a short time frame, making for an unpleasant experience for guests.

If they can't open up by mid June to early July, I'm afraid they won't open up at all until Halloween, if at all.  There are a ton of logistics in the hiring and training of employees that be going on right now.  That in and of itself will be a difficult task just to open up without everything being a complete #$%& show.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Two weeks and then they will be reevaluated, no way he'll lift the lockdowns during the peak.

The big question that nobody knows the answer to is what is the acceptable number of new daily cases before places start the re-opening process.

If we peak mid-May and that peak lasts for a month before daily cases start dropping, what is the acceptable number of new cases?

It could happen, but it would be crazy to start re-opening if the new daily count is higher than the day before...but how many days of declining daily new counts do we have to have before everyone deems it is safe and what is an acceptable number to say once below this in daily new counts it will be deemed safe?

1 hour ago, medford said:

I tried to look at the park hours for August, but it appears that info was taken down (along w/ the whole seasonal calendar).  Typically, they go from full day operations to weekend operations around mid to late August, so lets say August 23 as the end of daily operations.  If they don't open until August 1st, that would be 23 days of full day operation, 2 weekends of operations, then whatever weekends they added on thru and including Haunt.

That is a very short window to recoup the cost it will take to train and hire the number of employees the park needs to operate.  Additionally, I think it would be hard to hire the regular number of associates it normally hires, if you are a HS or college kid that is heading back to school in mid August, are you really going to bother with a job that you can only work for 2 weeks?  Additionally, there will inevitably be a handful of days in that time frame that are virtual (if not literal) washouts due to inclement weather.

There is also the risk, especially with a new coaster, that if they did open, they would be crushed in capacity in a short time frame, making for an unpleasant experience for guests.

If they can't open up by mid June to early July, I'm afraid they won't open up at all until Halloween, if at all.  There are a ton of logistics in the hiring and training of employees that be going on right now.  That in and of itself will be a difficult task just to open up without everything being a complete #$%& show.

This year was August 16th as last day before weekends, only remember because kid is supposed to go back to school before that and I was rationing my PTO for visits :lol:

22 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

The big question that nobody knows the answer to is what is the acceptable number of new daily cases before places start the re-opening process.

If we peak mid-May and that peak lasts for a month before daily cases start dropping, what is the acceptable number of new cases?

It could happen, but it would be crazy to start re-opening if the new daily count is higher than the day before...but how many days of declining daily new counts do we have to have before everyone deems it is safe and what is an acceptable number to say once below this in daily new counts it will be deemed safe?

If the US peaks in Mid-May then we will be looking at around 6 million cases in the US alone and based upon the current rate of deaths compared to recovered 2.75 million deaths. 

Of course, this is assuming a very sharp peak which is unrealistic but is the worst case scenario based on the numbers I have been watching. 

I hope this Social Distancing non-sense starts working but based on the last 2 weeks and a fairly steady multiplier of 1.3, in my non-expert opinion the government waited too late to start these measures. 

I do also want to note that if the US peaks on Easter Sunday then the US will still have around 2 million cases.

my opinion is based upon facts but is solely a non-expert opinion. 

13 minutes ago, RollerNut said:

If the US peaks in Mid-May then we will be looking at around 6 million cases in the US alone and based upon the current rate of deaths compared to recovered 2.75 million deaths. 

Of course, this is assuming a very sharp peak which is unrealistic but is the worst case scenario based on the numbers I have been watching. 

I hope this Social Distancing non-sense starts working but based on the last 2 weeks and a fairly steady multiplier of 1.3, in my non-expert opinion the government waited too late to start these measures. 

I do also want to note that if the US peaks on Easter Sunday then the US will still have around 2 million cases.

my opinion is based upon facts but is solely a non-expert opinion. 

I don't have a source on this, but according to Bill Cunningham on 700 WLW, the english doctor (or perhaps researcher) who was often quoted about the 2.5 million american deaths has revised his expectations down to 25,000 deaths.  That's quite a bit different.

The next couple of weeks will tell a huge story.  Does Ohio's wave come and pass?  or does it continue to rise as they were predicting today until mid-may?  Are any of the medications being tried/administered today show strong(er) signs of being a real solution.  If the Z-pack and whatever the other drug is called combo works as some are claiming, and works significantly well with little set back, many things can get back to normal,  Or if some other combo is found to work well.  Since they say a vast majority of people don't even know they have it, and even less show serious signs of symptoms, the drugs would not be administered to many.  I've still got hope that this summer isn't lost.

• Like 1

Here is one article that states 81K is the most likely figure out of a U of Washington study

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/coronavirus-likely-to-kill-81k-in-us-over-next-four-months-study-warns/

One thing I noticed is that they said death tolls are unlikely to be less than 38K.  I have faith in the American Medical and Research and I'll predict less than 38k US deaths, far less.  God, please let me be right.

That 2.5 million deaths number was if as a society we did nothing to combat it and just went about our lives as normal.  What I am not sure about is what the 25k number is conditioned on.  Lock down until vaccine?  A few months?  Nationwide, regionally or by state?

The results of all these models always have assumptions so it is important to look at those.  Doesn’t translate well to headlines. 

• Like 1

If they find a cure, they won't need to wait for a vaccine.  The vaccine will take time and testing to ensure they are not pushing out a vaccine that does more damage than help as happened back in the 50s; a cure would be much, much quicker.  As an example, there was an interview with a patient who took the malaria drug b/c a friend saw it mentioned on TV as showing signs of promise and mentioned it.  He talked to his doctor about it, and the doctor told him about the potential side effects/risks and he figured, what the hell, "I'm not going to live past tomorrow anyways, might as well try it"  When he woke up the next morning, all of his symptoms had dissipated.

Now don't be stupid and take something with a similar sounding name used to clean fish tanks, take under Doctor's orders and only if you are really sliding, but if I though I was dying anyways heck yeah I'd give it a shot.

I'm sorry, but basic medical microbiology teaches you that the reason virus spreads more easier in cold weather is because people are staying inside in close proximity to each other . Warm weather has nothing to do with "killing" the virus.

In a sense, all the isolation *may* cause this to linger, which is the flattering of the curve.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When/if Kings Island opens for the season, I have an idea for how to do weekday operations:

• Each day, a section of the park (or select rides) could be open for that specific day.
    • For example, on Mondays, they could only open Action Zone and the shops on I-Street, on Tuesday you could open Oktoberfest and half of Coney, Saturdays could be Planet Snoopy, Diamondback and Mystic Timbers, etc.
  • Some rides, like Orion, Beast and Mystic, could be open every day or almost every day (especially Orion as that is what a lot of people have been anticipating riding and Beast/Mystic seem to be pretty popular).
  • As conditions start to improve, more and more of the park would open on certain days, and eventually, once conditions and staffing improves, everything can open!
  • EDIT: During this phased opening time, ticket prices could be scaled based on the day.

It's basically ERT, but the park is open to everyone (or like those limited operation days they used to have back in the 2000's- that's how I got my first ride on Flight of Fear; it was one of the only coasters open that day!).

Though I've worked at the park for numerous seasons (and hope to go back to scare again), I really don't know how the process of getting the park open for the season works from a business perspective (especially in times like these!); this is just my $.02 on this matter. :D

• Like 1

But the problem with that lies in the fact that you are concentrating people in limited areas.

You know, if I didn't have classes to worry about, I'd love to work during the week at ki. (My full time gig is every Saturday And Sunday). I'd love to come work every Tuesday and Wednesday, for example. Those extra days they are discussing adding, sign me up. But I doubt theyd have flexibility about the weekends off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3