Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm sorry, but basic medical microbiology teaches you that the reason virus spreads more easier in cold weather is because people are staying inside in close proximity to each other . Warm weather has nothing to do with "killing" the virus.

In a sense, all the isolation *may* cause this to linger, which is the flattering of the curve.

You can use better terminology than I but I have read that, at least in a laboratory setting, they found humidity was an important factor as well.  Something to do with the aerosol droplet size and it lingering longer and traveling farther in dryer air.  IIRC there was also a point at very high humidity the where they found it survived better as well.  So that middle ground humidity level is where it was suppressed. But indoors and proximity are certainly the primary driving factors.   I read this several weeks ago which is ancient history so further research may have overridden this.  

2 hours ago, medford said:

If they find a cure, they won't need to wait for a vaccine.  The vaccine will take time and testing to ensure they are not pushing out a vaccine that does more damage than help as happened back in the 50s; a cure would be much, much quicker.  As an example, there was an interview with a patient who took the malaria drug b/c a friend saw it mentioned on TV as showing signs of promise and mentioned it.  He talked to his doctor about it, and the doctor told him about the potential side effects/risks and he figured, what the hell, "I'm not going to live past tomorrow anyways, might as well try it"  When he woke up the next morning, all of his symptoms had dissipated.

Now don't be stupid and take something with a similar sounding name used to clean fish tanks, take under Doctor's orders and only if you are really sliding, but if I though I was dying anyways heck yeah I'd give it a shot.

Although I would advise against taking hydroxychloroquine just because some Joe Bob from online said it worked. It's never smart to just go trying drugs like that. A very dangerous path is listening to people on the internet who are suddenly experts in fields they have no knowledge in.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

Although I would advise against taking hydroxychloroquine because some people say to take it. It's never smart to just go trying drugs like that. A very dangerous path is listening to people on the internet who are suddenly experts in fields they have no knowledge in.

As the old saying goes advice is worth what you pay for it.  :P

• Like 2

I can't seem to understand this policy for my flight I cancelled to SoCal and it says not to call unless your flight is in 72 hours.

Travel must start by December 31, 2020 or within 1 year of date the ticket was issued, whichever is earlier.

Our original flight was 4/13.  I would like to rebook next year for spring break starting 4/6.  The whichever earlier is throwing me off.

Called the airline.  Asked how rebooking a year from the original ticket could ever be earlier than having to rebook by end of the year.  They could not tell me.  

Long story short it has to be escalated for a waiver.

Got a feeling trips this year is going to be spur of the moment, have to stay nimble.......

So China had some of the strictest measures when the outbreak occurred in terms of isolation and stay at home and requirements when going out, etc (see my post on page 28) and China had recently started re-opening attractions. 

Now many of them are being re-closed due to new outbreaks and their borders have been shut down again...and we can probably expect to see attractions re-opening in Japan follow this route within two weeks...and this is probably a strong indicator of what will happen here once things start to re-open...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-shuts-down-all-cinemas-again-1287040

https://deadline.com/2020/03/china-orders-re-closing-all-cinemas-nationwide-1202894103/

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/china-to-suspend-entry-of-foreigners-starting-saturday-20200326

Just now, gforce1994 said:

As it now stands, assume 2020 as a lost season. 

Don't give up now. We still are several months away from the end of the supposed season. If we miss April and May, we still have June-October for all coasters and winterfest to enjoy. Now I say if we get to July and the park still doesn't open, then we can scrap the season and move onto the next. 

• Like 3

We really need summer heat and humidity to get here to evaluate if an opening is possible. It's coming. There's conflicting reports, but most of the science I am seeing says it will help. Whether it will help enough is another question altogether, and we will just have to wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bjcolglazier said:

We really need summer heat and humidity to get here to evaluate if an opening is possible. It's coming. There's conflicting reports, but most of the science I am seeing says it will help. Whether it will help enough is another question altogether, and we will just have to wait and see.

I dont really trust dr. Oz.

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Don't give up now. We still are several months away from the end of the supposed season. If we miss April and May, we still have June-October for all coasters and winterfest to enjoy. Now I say if we get to July and the park still doesn't open, then we can scrap the season and move onto the next. 

Its not giving up hope, but looking at the bigger picture. 

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Florida and Louisiana are hot and they have A LOT of cases. In fact New Orleans is another US hotspot for the virus. 

Yes, because they all got it at Mardi Gras when the high-temp was 66-degrees, and have been spreading it around since. Florida, too because of Spring Break. These two events do not represent a normal period of sustained early-to-mid-summer heat. Look at all the countries in the hot-zones south of China and you'll see none of them have had an explosion of cases like the more northern-ly hemisphere has.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Yes, because they all got it at Mardi Gras when the high-temp was 66-degrees, and have been spreading it around since. Florida, too because of Spring Break. These two events do not represent a normal period of sustained early-to-mid-summer heat. Look at all the countries in the hot-zones south of China and you'll see none of them have had an explosion of cases like the more northern-ly hemisphere has.

You trust the reporting of cases from those areas?  North Korea has no cases, lol.