Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

36 minutes ago, CheetahDrew said:

So, I don't quite understand what we're worried about just yet, yes the parks have delayed/postponed for a bit but the entire season being scrapped isn't happening, if you think about it, we're only in likelihood if things stay the way they are now, which according to the graph I saw on another thread (which doesn't look bad) Things look okay for a mid may opening, and we only lose about 10-15 days of the park being open assuming they go straight to full time.

So does the fact their converting NFL stadiums into mobile hospitals spark any alarm? This is not a 10-15 day event. This will be a six month plus event.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

So does the fact their converting NFL stadiums into mobile hospitals spark any alarm? This is not a 10-15 day event. This will be a six month plus event.

If you actually read what I wrote, you'd know that I said we were missing 10-15 days of the park being open, not that this is a 10-15 day event. I personally have not heard of any instance in which they are converting NFL Stadiums into Hospitals and/or Medical Facilities at least not within the state of Ohio. 

11 minutes ago, CheetahDrew said:

If you actually read what I wrote, you'd know that I said we were missing 10-15 days of the park being open, not that this is a 10-15 day event. I personally have not heard of any instance in which they are converting NFL Stadiums into Hospitals and/or Medical Facilities at least not within the state of Ohio. 

I think a mid-May opening would be considered highly optimistic by most doctors in America right now. That said, I am hopeful this will not be a 6-month-event here. Virus may well be hanging around 6 months from now, but by then a lot of people will either be dead or immune after already catching it. How's that for optimism?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Trump is not sounding as optimistic now.  Same Social distancing guidelines till april 30th.  This is just the beginning.

Be interesting to see how quickly New York can get this under control. Most of the country is a week or three behind them. If they can't get it figured out by May 1 it'll be a very bad sign. If they can...whatever they figure out will be copied nationwide.

5 hours ago, silver2005 said:

And yes, I'm okay with biting the $200 bullet of purchasing a Platinum Pass for this year and not using it.  

I don't know you are or what you do, but you work too hard to be giving charity to amusement parks! 

Guys once again I don't foresee this being an issue.

Kings Island is smart enough to keep the passholders happy. I'm sure whatever situation arises they'll make it right.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

I don't know you are or what you do, but you work too hard to be giving charity to amusement parks! 

Guys once again I don't foresee this being an issue.

Kings Island is smart enough to keep the passholders happy. I'm sure whatever situation arises they'll make it right.

I have used to have a medical condition where I had to battle my own immune system as what I had was considered an auto-immune disorder.  While I had surgery to remove said condition, building back your immune system takes tons of time, even if you're active in doing it plus your body doesn't store Vitamin C.  While mine is more functional than what it used to be, I still don't trust my immune system even well after what they say is a good time to relieve social distancing practices.  I'm going to continue to be strict in my own way until the 18 month time frame when there will allegedly be a vaccine.  I have to actively take steps past what people consider to be healthy practices, even when there wasn't a virus spreading.  If it means not going to parks, sporting events and the like, so be it. 

I also spent more time in a hospital than anyone should- I get how to handle social isolation and the level of patience and persistence needed to power through it.  

I anticipate several more spikes when between social distancing being relaxed and when the vaccine arrives. 

Also  what Trump means by June 1st is that we are going to be on our way to recovery by then. I don't see places staying closed until recovery because I think it's going to take years to fully recover from this crisis. I also think the history lesson on this event that the next generation will learn about in school might be more about the result of this than the actual event itself imo. Obviously they'll learn about the event itself, but if the result is a major recession or even worse a depression, then the lesson may be more around that than the actual event. I hope we don't see a depression though, but I do think we will see a pretty big recession. 

18 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I have used to have a medical condition where I had to battle my own immune system as what I had was considered an auto-immune disorder.  While I had surgery to remove said condition, building back your immune system takes tons of time, even if you're active in doing it plus your body doesn't store Vitamin C.  While mine is more functional than what it used to be, I still don't trust my immune system even well after what they say is a good time to relieve social distancing practices.  I'm going to continue to be strict in my own way until the 18 month time frame when there will allegedly be a vaccine.  I have to actively take steps past what people consider to be healthy practices, even when there wasn't a virus spreading.  If it means not going to parks, sporting events and the like, so be it. 

I also spent more time in a hospital than anyone should- I get how to handle social isolation and the level of patience and persistence needed to power through it.  

I anticipate several more spikes when between social distancing being relaxed and when the vaccine arrives. 

The 1918 flu pandemic had 3 major waves or spikes...and the death total was highest during the 2nd wave...let's hope our elected officials learn from history...

And knowing your current employment situation...it is clear you value your health over $200 (which is good!)!!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I see. That is a completely different circumstance.

I'd hope they could just do the right thing and roll your pass to the following year or refund your money given the circumstances. Of course the decision is totally up to you. :)

From the CP website:

Postponed Park Opening

Cedar Point will postpone its park opening until mid-May

I wish they would change it to what other parks have, and have it read until further notice.  All it does is sugarcoat the situation.  

Cedar Point will postpone its park opening until mid-May.

People, take your refund issues up with the park(s) directly.  This isn't Guest Services!  

Every day this situation is evolving for all of us.  Personally I couldn't imagine the stress those at Cedar Fair are under to figure out their plans and take appropriate actions.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Also  what Trump means by June 1st is that we are going to be on our way to recovery by then. I don't see places staying closed until recovery because I think it's going to take years to fully recover from this crisis. I also think the history lesson on this event that the next generation will learn about in school might be more about the result of this than the actual event itself imo. Obviously they'll learn about the event itself, but if the result is a major recession or even worse a depression, then the lesson may be more around that than the actual event. I hope we don't see a depression though, but I do think we will see a pretty big recession. 

That is an interesting take.  Your educational experience appears to be very different to that of mine or my children. While the event itself and its aftermath are important they don’t tell you why something happened, I have found much more focus in history classes on the circumstance that led up to the event.  For instance what factors led to the the fall of Rome, the Inquisition, WWI, The Great Depression, WWII, The Cold War, Cuban Missile Crises, Vietnam, Watergate, Challenger Accident, 9/11 etc. 

Why this happened, was it inevitable, failures and mistakes along the way, how the outcome could have been different.  What lessons can be learned from those factors I find historians are most interested in.  The rest is mostly dates and facts.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

That is an interesting take.  Your educational experience appears to be very different to that of mine or my children. While the event itself and its aftermath are important they don’t tell you why something happened, I have found much more focus in history classes on the circumstance that led up to the event.  For instance what factors led to the the fall of Rome, the Inquisition, WWI, The Great Depression, WWII, The Cold War, Cuban Missile Crises, Vietnam, Watergate, Challenger Accident, 9/11 etc. 

Why this happened, was it inevitable, failures and mistakes along the way, how the outcome could have been different.  What lessons can be learned from those factors I find historians are most interested in.  The rest is mostly dates and facts.  

The more I think about it, I think I did learn a lot more about what led to the event as well. It's just something I had in my mind. Obviously no matter the outcome, I think every future child needs to learn about what happened during this event.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

Yeah, I think the leader of Liberty is going to be in hot water with the state of Virginia here soon. I know someone who is supposed to attend Liberty next year. 

4 hours ago, coaster sally said:

From the CP website:

Postponed Park Opening

Cedar Point will postpone its park opening until mid-May

I wish they would change it to what other parks have, and have it read until further notice.  All it does is sugarcoat the situation.  

Cedar Point will postpone its park opening until mid-May.

Agreed. However that is qualified in the full statement and includes "mid-May or as soon thereafter as possible." which is saying the same thing, with just a brighter tone.  Could be 2021or even December 2020 and go full SF Extreme running all the coasters that won't valley in the cold or otherwise won't disintegrate excessively rapidly and we end up having the longest season in KI history for 2021.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.:lol:  I don't think anything is completely off the table at this point, this situation changes rapidly.

Keep in mind that "new" cases doesn't necessarily mean people who just got sick that day. It's just more test results that came in that day. They could've been sick for a few days already at that point. And there's likely a huge number of undocumented cases as some people will just choose to ride it out if they're not feeling too bad. My understanding is they will only test if you are in a high risk group or your symptoms are severe. But for those with more mild cases, they're not even part of those numbers.