Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Im preparing some vacations to the Florida parks over the winter of 2020 since I have a feeling that 2020 is going to be a lost season.

Love the optimism!  I have a feeling the Florida parks will stay closed a lot longer than the regional chain parks...Disney has let too many full-timers go which I think indicates they are closed a long time and given their international destination status, I do not see them opening up until either a vaccine is available or this thing is somehow wiped clean... 

19 minutes ago, Joshua said:

But Wally World is still open, right guys?

Only if you know the secret punch to get in.

The cruise industry is still the one I have a hard time imagining ever recovering.  It would be costly but parks could do some retooling to make them more compliant with the new world we live in.  Much harder to do with a giant ship. 

Wapo has an article today, which I have not read yet, about how parents are having a difficult time getting their teens to stay home and not hang with their friends. I completely understand as I would have been bouncing off the walls in this situation as a teen.  Mine on the other hand have been perfectly content to stay home and socialize on Discord and the like.  Getting them out of the house has always been my issue.  

3 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

I don't agree.  Local governments will be pushing major players like Disney to open due to tourism dollars.  

Fear of death is a very powerful force.   We have had very limited visual access to the horrors starting to occur within some hospital primarily due to privacy issues.  More will come out eventually as this progresses and it gets more personal as loved ones and friends are lost. 

I think the instinct for self preservation will take over with enough  that it just won’t be profitable to open. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

I don't agree.  Local governments will be pushing major players like Disney to open due to tourism dollars.  

If the local government pays Disney to re-open and agrees to be part of the lawsuit when someone sues Disney for getting Corona because they opened too early, then yeah they may....but even then they may not...Disney gets sued enough for things that were clearly guest error; they will not take a chance on something this global...

Disney will not re-open until this is mitigated - the harm to their reputation of a media exploit of tracing hundreds or thousands of cases back to them isn't worth it - if they lose the international destination status they are done...Disney would not survive as a regional attraction with it's current model...

Disney isn't like a regional chain.  Yeah it is hurting them without it being open, but Disney has other sources of revenue to get by with movies, streaming, TV stations, etc.  Completing shutting down their amusement parks and letting all the employees go just means that source of income and expense goes away.  They have other viable options for revenue to still exist as a company.  What does CF have - sell more passes while they are closed...heck they aren't even earning interest on investments at this point...

The chains have to re-open earlier than a Disney because they cannot afford to sit it out any longer than possible.  Disney is a different animal and can wait it out...

25 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

The cruise industry is still the one I have a hard time imagining ever recovering.  It would be costly but parks could do some retooling to make them more compliant with the new world we live in.  Much harder to do with a giant ship. 

Fear of death is a very powerful force.   We have had very limited visual access to the horrors starting to occur within some hospital primarily due to privacy issues.  More will come out eventually as this progresses and it gets more personal as loved ones and friends are lost. 

I think the instinct for self preservation will take over with enough  that it just won’t be profitable to open. 

The only way the cruise industry survives at this point is to turn them into floating hospitals and then long after this is gone, the government bails them out....Without a bailout they cannot survive.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

If the local government pays Disney to re-open and agrees to be part of the lawsuit when someone sues Disney for getting Corona because they opened too early, then yeah they may....but even then they may not...Disney gets sued enough for things that were clearly guest error; they will not take a chance on something this global...

Disney will not re-open until this is mitigated - the harm to their reputation of a media exploit of tracing hundreds or thousands of cases back to them isn't worth it - if they lose the international destination status they are done...Disney would not survive as a regional attraction with it's current model...

Disney isn't like a regional chain.  Yeah it is hurting them without it being open, but Disney has other sources of revenue to get by with movies, streaming, TV stations, etc.  Completing shutting down their amusement parks and letting all the employees go just means that source of income and expense goes away.  They have other viable options for revenue to still exist as a company.  What does CF have - sell more passes while they are closed...heck they aren't even earning interest on investments at this point...

The chains have to re-open earlier than a Disney because they cannot afford to sit it out any longer than possible.  Disney is a different animal and can wait it out...

The only way the cruise industry survives at this point is to turn them into floating hospitals and then long after this is gone, the government bails them out....Without a bailout they cannot survive.

Will SEAS open before Disney?

21 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Will SEAS open before Disney?

I believe so, just as some other regional parks in Japan started to re-open while Disney and Universal there remain shuttered with no date given...

Disney and Universal have other revenue sources to remain a functioning company that simply shut down a branch of their business...the regional ones do not...SEAS media unit isn't like an ABC lol..

This goes on for too long and you may get another media group that might snatch up a regional at a great price and get into that game to further market movies once this is all over....imagine Paramount purchasing Cedar Fair....or Universal to spread their footprint...

It does appear that Disney is eyeing June 1 for their re-open date for World and Land in the US.

They have a new offer for those affected by the closure to rebook between June 1 and September 30, and receive a free dining plan in Florida and discounted Hotel Rates in California.

Now, of course, the reopen will be subject to the virus and how things are at that point, but if they are able, I could see re-openings in Florida and California in mid-late May.

They have to be prepared for second waves though. Parks in Japan are closing because of the next wave.

Furthermore, the parks should reopen when the nation as a whole is out of the crisis, not the state. You don’t want someone from a hot spot coming to a park and infecting locals.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

It does appear that Disney is eyeing June 1 for their re-open date for World and Land in the US.

They have a new offer for those affected by the closure to rebook between June 1 and September 30, and receive a free dining plan in Florida and discounted Hotel Rates in California.

Now, of course, the reopen will be subject to the virus and how things are at that point, but if they are able, I could see re-openings in Florida and California in mid-late May.

Keep in mind that announcement does say subject to change and did come out one day after they announced closed indefinitely... so maybe different marketing arms prepared different things....and this is a way to bring in revenue (deposit) and lock in a future revenue stream while they are closed... 

I wouldn't read anything into these announcements given all the current uncertainty.  These are simply ways to manage stock expectations best they can...

And Ohio schools now remote learning thru at least end of April...

I think some states are going to ease restrictions earlier than others. I think states with large beaches and huge tourism numbers (like Florida and California) will be some of the last to ease restrictions. June 10th imo is a little too late, but isn't surprising since they are trying to play it safe. It is subject to change at any time. 

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Agreed on all points. Like you said, Disney will most likely be fine through all this, but they do have an another problem. As a movie studio, a lot of their major productions are on hold and the films that were going to be released within the next few months have been postponed. If things progress any further, they'll most likely have a difficult decision to make regarding the way they approach film distribution, as will the other major studios. 

While studios have been dipping their toes in the "straight to digital" market for years with smaller productions, it is not something that has really been tested with major tentpoles. (Note: Onward may be the biggest film out of the "In-Theater" VOD rentals, but it's also going to Disney Plus in mid-April. Other films, such as The Invisible Man and The Hunt weren't made with blockbuster budgets.) The obstacle with digital is that it is entirely different market than cinemas, and the price being asked for said "In Theater" rentals is both too pricey and not pricey enough, considering cinema tickets are purchased for each individual who sees the film while any given number of people could be viewing that stream. But at the same, consumers know they could permanently own a fairly recent title for that price, and if they wait it out, the price for renting Bloodshot will come down as it is no longer "in cinemas." Having said that, many would find that price justifiable to rent Black Widow, but the debate is whether it would be more profitable in the long run to wait for cinemas to re-open. (There's also the issue of piracy as releasing straight to digital means the film has to compete against a 1080p mkv file floating around on Pirate Bay and not some trashy handheld recording.)

The impact COVID-19 will have on the movie industry is not quite known, but I think we can guarantee that a lot of films that were due out in 2021 (and probably even 2022) will be postponed, and potentially some even cancelled. This includes a new Jurassic Park film that had just begun filming and featured the return of the original film's cast. It is also possible that the industry may put a lid on those inflating budgets and rely more on modest productions, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. 

Another outcome could be that some of the local theaters may close permanently.

4 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Virginia has set a stay in home order until June 10th. 

Not that I don't believe you but is there a source for that?

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

What is so bad about the cruise industry? I know plenty of people that love to go on cruises and I've never been on one before. 

close quarters with thousands of people?  I love cruising it's a good way to see many different places. We actually have a Disney Cruise in February. I'm starting to wonder if that's going to happen. 

8 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

What is so bad about the cruise industry? I know plenty of people that love to go on cruises and I've never been on one before.

They are absolutely terrible for the environment and treat their workers horribly.  The only thing I can think of that is positive about them is they contribute to the economy of poor countries.  My parents took me on cruises when j was young and I have traveled all over the world as an adult.  There are way better ways to experience the world than cruises. (In my opinion of course.  My main point of contention with them is their effect on the environment.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Not that I don't believe you but is there a source for that?

close quarters with thousands of people?  I love cruising it's a good way to see many different places. We actually have a Disney Cruise in February. I'm starting to wonder if that's going to happen. 

Here you go...

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2020/03/30/stay-at-home-order-issued-for-all-virginia-as-coronavirus-cases-grow/

But wait, Kings Dominion still states on their webpage a mid-May opening:P

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That's because this is a breaking story. They'll announce soon. 

I know lol I was being sarcastic thus the :P..

...just trying to dispel and add credible reasons why that just because a park like Disney has started to accept reservations doesn't mean they will open then or that CF states a mid-May opening...they need to get the all clear by government first and foremost...and these restrictions are popping up and being extended daily...

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think some states are going to ease restrictions earlier than others. I think states with large beaches and huge tourism numbers (like Florida and California) will be some of the last to ease restrictions. June 10th imo is a little too late, but isn't surprising since they are trying to play it safe. It is subject to change at any time. 

They won’t. People will flock to those attractions and bring the Coronavirus with them. The attractions will reopen at once, when everyone is healthy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

You guys have me very hopeful that this kills the cruise industry, I'll be very sad if they somehow find a way to survive.

The cruise industry is also very bad for the environment. It’s not an industry I personally have a positive view of.

• Like 2

As long as  Florida Man DeSantis is running the show anything is possible down there. Many beaches are still open.  The parks will be more responsible.

21 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Personally I find cruises boring.  I don't gamble and not really into live shows.  All there is for me to do is eat and eat and eat. 

My issues with the industry are as others have said, they are not US companies so do not pay taxes, mostly hire internationals and treat them like hell.  I do not support giving them one cent in bailout. 

• Like 1