Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

As long as  Florida Man DeSantis is running the show anything is possible down there. Many beaches are still open.  The parks will be more responsible.

Can’t leave it to park’s responsibility when there’s asymptomatic people that have the condition. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Can’t leave it to park’s responsibility when there’s asymptomatic people that have the condition. 

Completely agree but...Florida Man DeSantis.  States rights and all that.  Without a Congressional declaration of war federal powers are limited.  That hasn't happened since 1941 for reasons I do not fully understand.

10 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

My issues with the industry are as others have said, they are not US companies so do not pay taxes, mostly hire internationals and treat them like hell. 

I went on one about 12 years ago and witnessed an employee make a tiny mistake. I don't even remember what it was, I think they might have almost dropped something, but what I do remember is the look on that poor guy's face, and that was pure fear. 

41 minutes ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

They are absolutely terrible for the environment and treat their workers horribly.  The only thing I can think of that is positive about them is they contribute to the economy of poor countries.  My parents took me on cruises when j was young and I have traveled all over the world as an adult.  There are way better ways to experience the world than cruises. (In my opinion of course.  My main point of contention with them is their effect on the environment.)

Sounds to me like the employees have lots of fun.

So since we now have a "close" state with a CF park in it that has an extended stay at home order, let's break down what this really means.

Virginia has a stay at home order in effect until June 10th.  It bans any gatherings inside or outside of more than 10 people.  They took the step of even including religion settings in the ban...

Realistically Kings Dominion will not be able to start training until after June 10th.  It would be problematic to try before then and comply with Orders.  Doesn't mean they couldn't, but training that amount of people take time.

Because of this, the earliest we would see Kings Dominion open would probably be the July 4th holiday...maybe a week or two earlier as they would have had some training already, but unlikely...and even then, they will probably still have to comply with some social distancing measures...

And of course these means that this Order isn't extended or further restrictions put in place...

Previous CF announcement was they would make up the days this year they were closed this year...

With a July 4th weekend opening...how could KD extend operating days enough to make up for all that lost time based on their previously published 2020 calendar...and have it be meaningful days that people would be able to get to and would want...

If they open, I see most if not all shows and entertainment not happening...and then take all the complaints from people...

And what if the second wave comes (which is likely to happen)...closures start all over...

We really need to prepare for the idea that CF will not open this year...or if they do...that the second wave will cancel Haunt and/or Winterfest...

If you were a betting person, money would be on the second coronavirus wave coming and shutting things down again...just like we are starting to see in China and Japan...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

So since we now have a "close" state with a CF park in it that has an extended stay at home order, let's break down what this really means.

Virginia has a stay at home order in effect until June 10th.  It bans any gatherings inside or outside of more than 10 people.  They took the step of even including religion settings in the ban...

Realistically Kings Dominion will not be able to start training until after June 10th.  It would be problematic to try before then and comply with Orders.  Doesn't mean they couldn't, but training that amount of people take time.

Because of this, the earliest we would see Kings Dominion open would probably be the July 4th holiday...maybe a week or two earlier as they would have had some training already, but unlikely...and even then, they will probably still have to comply with some social distancing measures...

And of course these means that this Order isn't extended or further restrictions put in place...

Previous CF announcement was they would make up the days this year they were closed this year...

With a July 4th weekend opening...how could KD extend operating days enough to make up for all that lost time based on their previously published 2020 calendar...and have it be meaningful days that people would be able to get to and would want...

If they open, I see most if not all shows and entertainment not happening...and then take all the complaints from people...

And what if the second wave comes (which is likely to happen)...closures start all over...

We really need to prepare for the idea that CF will not open this year...or if they do...that the second wave will cancel Haunt and/or Winterfest...

If you were a betting person, money would be on the second coronavirus wave coming and shutting things down again...just like we are starting to see in China and Japan...

You also have the revoking of the Kings Dominion law (where schools were opened after Labor Day). KD runs daily until early August, so it’s a delicate situation.

Kentucky Governor signed an order today restricting travel out of state.  His order on out-of-state travel includes several exceptions. It doesn’t apply to Kentuckians going to other states for work; to get food, medicine and other necessities; for health-care visits; to care for a loved one; or if a court requires the travel.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/03/30/kentucky-governor-advises-residents-not-travel-outside-kentucky/5091119002/

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Kentucky Governor signed an order today restricting travel out of state.  His order on out-of-state travel includes several exceptions. It doesn’t apply to Kentuckians going to other states for work; to get food, medicine and other necessities; for health-care visits; to care for a loved one; or if a court requires the travel.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2020/03/30/kentucky-governor-advises-residents-not-travel-outside-kentucky/5091119002/

That goodness considering I have to cross state lines to go to work.  Each day this keeps getting worse and worse.  Some good news on this front would be nice!

11 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

That goodness considering I have to cross state lines to go to work.  Each day this keeps getting worse and worse.  Some good news on this front would be nice!

Kings Dominion website still shows a mid-May opening....is that some good news

Have you noticed a decrease in traffic going to/from work?

7 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Fear of death is a very powerful force.   We have had very limited visual access to the horrors starting to occur within some hospital primarily due to privacy issues.  More will come out eventually as this progresses and it gets more personal as loved ones and friends are lost. 

I think the instinct for self preservation will take over with enough  that it just won’t be profitable to open. 

That is some visual access:

6 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Bodies being loaded onto refrigerated trucks with forklifts in NYC.  How many days for the drone footage of mass graves?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-footage-shows-nyc-hospitals-174225886.html

• Like 1

Bodies being loaded onto refrigerated trucks with forklifts in NYC.  How many days for the drone footage of mass graves?https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-footage-shows-nyc-hospitals-174225886.html

I don’t really think we need that negativity. Here is a neat article about how the United States is giving aid to Americans through boats. I truly believe the United States Government will do whatever it takes to prevent deaths due to Covid-19.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/27/us/california-hospital-ship-trnd/index.html

• Like 2

Internal email obtained by the newspaper where Miami University of Ohio is contingency planning for the idea that classes will not resume in-person in the fall...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/03/30/coronavirus-miami-prepares-possible-budget-woes-extended-closure/2933473001/

Theme Parks have to be planning for that same contingency that they will not re-open this year... especially since the big cheese just took a pay cut...

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/03/30/bob-iger-will-forgo-his-salary-fellow-disney-execs-to-take-pay-cuts/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

I value your opinion, but mine is the situation is getting this bad because some spun a positive yarn at the beginning instead of telling the truth.  But if a bubble is what you want....

A media outlet feels this very concern over their early reporting and the liability that may now cause....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-reportedly-fears-early-114530961.html

• Like 1

This article was rather interesting on the microscopic aerosol virus transmission theory.   A Washington State Choir rehearsal where they did not hug and kept their distances made 45 ill and sadly, 2 passed away.   “Members likely expelled viral particles into the air during their rehearsal.”  So, if on a roller coaster of someone is in the front row (who carries the virus but does not show any symptoms) screams emitting their viral particles, one wonders how far back in the train those viral particles could infect the other riders, especially traveling at 40-60mph.  Granted the coaster is outdoors with lots of air around it, but I would not want to be directly in the second row behind the person screaming.  Interesting thought to ponder.

https://apple.news/AlfeY274mQ5aZZPhD_X0WGQ

The news cycle on this changes every day. Just two weeks ago I passed through 4 airports in the span of two days, at which time everyone was mostly clueless about what was going on.  Most in leadership were reacting to very, very limited data. 

The news cycle, and narrative are going to change literally daily.  Remember, we're just over 2 weeks into this.  

The private sector and those 'evil' pharmaceutical companies (that are going to eventually solve the problem) really hadn't ratcheted their efforts up.  In 10 days time the chloquine treatment had gone from an unknown to resolving cases in as little as 5 days.  We're only a little over 2 weeks in.  Social distancing suggestions may remain in effect for a while, but more positive news is coming.  The American free market is the best place for innovation in the world.  2 and a half weeks in and the last week has yielded some great, positive developments.  I'll revisit my comment on April 10.

• Like 2

I haven’t been following this thread, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Do you think the park will overhaul Urgent Scare to avoid the unfavorable connection it would have with the pandemic? Regardless of the facts, some will assume the park is making light of the situation.

I wouldn’t be opposed (not because I am offended, but because I think it’s time for that maze to go). Thoughts?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 139Signal27 said:

I haven’t been following this thread, so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Do you think the park will overhaul Urgent Scare to avoid the unfavorable connection it would have with the pandemic? Regardless of the facts, some will assume the park is making light of the situation.

I wouldn’t be opposed (not because I am offended, but because I think it’s time for that maze to go). Thoughts?

That’s actually a very interesting question. 
It all plays into the public mindset after this disaster is done with. The Kings Island crowd of 2019 will not be like the crowd when the park reopens. People will be bringing sanitizing wipes, wiping down tables, seats, and lap bars. It’s going to be an all new GP crowd.

That being said, if the Coronavirus becomes a 1918-esque event, you might see it drop in popularity and foot traffic, as what they lived through is more terrifying than a maze.

Or it could trigger panic attacks and PTSD for those personally affected by the tragedy. I’ve heard of many stories of people not being able to go to ballgames or fireworks, because they had panic attacks due to surviving a horrific event. 

• Like 2

I thought this was interesting.  Warning this is a preprint medical article and has not been peer reviewed.

Stability of the virus on surfaces and at different temperatures, in short at 4c (39f) the virus is basically stable and most of the culture was still alive after 2 weeks, at 22c (99f) the virus is undetectable after 2 days, and at the extreme of 70c (158f) not detectable after 5 minutes.  It also tests several surfaces, for instance on paper its not detectable after 3 hours, but on Plastic or Stainless Steel it takes more than 4 days.

• Like 1