Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

On 4/1/2020 at 1:44 PM, disco2000 said:

And sales will now be down...apparently in Mexico alcohol is not considered essential :P

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business/corona-beer-production/index.html

16 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Are you able to find masks - every story I have seen and discussions with medical professionals and my own looking indicates nobody has them available for purchase?  My nurse friends are having to go without or spray with lysol and re-use everyday?

The Chinese are pumping them out, they are available now in surplus.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

The Chinese are pumping them out, they are available now in surplus.

Link please.  I want to be the next overnight trillionaire.  I know some hospitals in NYC and here in Cbus that will pay top dollar.   Don’t post it. PM me, I will give you a cut.  :lol:

On that note. I sure hope we can continue making payments on the payment plan if we choose.  When I renewed the Canadian currency conversion rate was 1.3 now it is at 1.42

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Seems cases in New York has lessened. Hospitalization is down 50%

Yes. If NYC can get over the hump and beat this there is all kinds of hope for all of us in middle-America, where we don't live on top of each other x10. If they can figure it out there, it will provide a blueprint for the rest of the nation.

10 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Yes. If NYC can get over the hump and beat this there is all kinds of hope for all of us in middle-America, where we don't live on top of each other x10. If they can figure it out there, it will provide a blueprint for the rest of the nation.

Instead Middle-America plans to go to church on Easter Sunday in large numbers.

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

I hope you know that is not what the vast majority of middle-America plans to do. These are the outcast, fringe people. Even NYC has had to interfere with large funerals. Heck, crowds showed up to take pictures of the USS Comfort pulling into NY harbor---THE epicenter. Stupid is a global phenomenon. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I hope you know that is not what the vast majority of middle-America plans to do. These are the outcast, fringe people. Even NYC has had to interfere with large funerals. Heck, crowds showed up to take pictures of the USS Comfort pulling into NY harbor---THE epicenter. Stupid is a global phenomenon. 

Very true.  Just seen to much of that idiocy today.  But I disagree these are outcasts, there are very large, very popular congregations planning this. Planning to make all of this sacrificing we are going through moot.  

16 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Very true.  Just seen to much of that idiocy today.  But I disagree these are outcasts, there are very large, very popular congregations planning this. Planning to make all of this sacrificing we are going through moot.  

You're just underestimating our outcast population...lol. I was born and raised a holy-roller. And church is online, as it should be. But yes, there are large groups of uneducated people. Some of them are going to get wiped out right now. I also believe there has to be a large % of them who are not going to show up at these places. But I mean, some folks would move to Guyana if "the right guy" told them that was safe...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

You're just underestimating our outcast population...lol. I was born and raised a holy-roller. And church is online, as it should be.

I just watched my church service online yesterday and it was great; it actually brought a sense of normal-ness to it all as it was great to see the worship team and preacher that I would normally interact with most every Sunday :D

And speaking of churches...

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/solid-rock-pastor-targets-reaction-church-services-during-sunday-sermon/15QyOacdLeAXnh7AyQ2KwK/

Just want to say that ultimately, I believe the Church is about the body of believers, not just the building (so what Solid Rock is doing is dangerous in this day and age). That being said, I understand some people will want to get back to normal, which includes being in-person at church, but we'll just have to wait it out. For now, online services will just have to do!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, medford said:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/

IMHE released their updated projections over the weekend.

According to this, the US will peak in about a week, Ohio will peak in resources need in a couple of days, and deaths in 6 days.

Hope they are right; there may be a Kings Island season after all, eventually.

I was looking at the updated models as well.  Most if not all states are trending to much sooner peaks.  Most of the peaks are looking to be much lower numbers as well.  This will be a very important week for the numbers.  Keep up the social distancing everyone!!!

• Like 3

Keep in mind these are just projections. The peak will come when it comes. It could be tomorrow or several months from now. We just don't know. Also keep in mind that it will be a process to get things open. It won't happen right after the peak. We have to see a steady decline in cases and deaths first before we even think about opening things back up and start allowing large gatherings. 

I'm really bummed that the parks got delayed. I would have been fine if this had happened any other year (or not at all), for many reasons. This season was looking to be an outstanding year for KI and other various parks. With the opening of Orion, as well as coasters in other parks like Pantheon, Jersey Devil, and the amazing Iron Gwazi. But aside from the park connection, this really had a impact on my personal plan. I had my first Disney trip planned for right about now on Spring Break. Also, relating back to KI, I bought a Gold Pass for the first time this year and added a season dining plan. That being said, does anyone know if the passholders will be receiving anything special from the park for only getting what feels like 3/4 the season. 

CedarFairFan. I feel you. I actually lost a couple of new job opportunities. I have also had to cancel a Disney Cruise, we missed our Carowinds trip. We have a pending planned trip to Disney World which we still are planning but are unable to nail down a date obviously. The one thing we do have is our health and both my wife and I are still employed. Things will change with time. 

• Like 1

@CedarFairFan787

Knotts released a statement this weekend for Platinum and Knotts Gold pass holders.  Passes and add-ins will carry over to 2021. No information yet for Gold Passholders at the other parks like KI.  Given what has been announced for Platinum passholders, my hunch is the same will eventually apply to Gold Passholders at individual parks, but that hunch is worth what you paid for it.  :lol:

Edit: If anyone is looking for some temporary seasonal employment opportunities, the CEO position at SEAS just opened up again.   
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/seaworld-ceo-resigns-after-5-months-cfo-promoted-effective-immediately-2020-04-06

• Thanks 1

This will be a very telling week for Cedar Fair...

As I have mentioned in my long documentaries LOL, the statement from Knott's this weekend extending pass and add-on benefits for all pass their pass holders, including platinum, through the 2021 season is a likely indicator that CF believes the closure seriously impacts their ability to re-open this year....but with some news today that we may now be hitting the apex this week as opposed to weeks/months from now, did they make that announcement too soon...

Not even a month ago Knott's position was they would add whatever days were missed this year onto the the beginning of next year.  That is a simple process because extending their passes, including platinum, realistically only gave people access to that park anyway because other CF parks would be closed anyway.  Based on this prior statement, Knott's could be closed almost 3 months this year before a platinum pass would be able to be used at another CF park.  They still had some time before they needed to revisit this announcement...

Shortly after that announcement, the remaining CF parks also came out and said they plan to make up this year whatever days were lost based on their previously published calendar, as well as adding additional benefits to pass holders that would be announced at a later date.

So why do I believe this will be a very telling week for Cedar Fair?  If they do not announce this week a chain-wide offer that Knott's provided, that means CF believes that the remaining parks could still potentially open with enough days left in the year to make up for missed days!  Or it could simply mean that Cedar Fair is a publicly traded company and that affects the type and timing of their communication...

IF CF does not make this announcement chain-wide and IF for some reason CF is able to open their parks this year and not have to extend gold and regular passes through the 2021 season, they have potentially just created unintended consequences of their Knott's announcement...

What are these unintended consequences you may be asking yourself?  Well, a platinum pass is a platinum pass.  So Knott's announced platinum passes are now good thru the 2021 season.  If the Knott's announcement doesn't go chain-wide, that now creates a disparity since your gold pass for KI is only valid for 2020, yet your friend that bought a platinum pass same day as you now gets in for 2021 as well...

One could argue they could say that a 2020 platinum pass is only valid for 2021 season at Knott's or the 2021 season is only valid to platinum passes purchased at Knott's, but that then opens up a whole new set of issues associated with a platinum pass, from internal legacy admissions software issues that cannot deal with this issue, to creating a disparity based on where one purchases a platinum pass, etc...

All CF parks will extend through 2021.  Otherwise, it's a logistical nightmare as outlined above.  

It also entices people to start buying passes again immediately once parks open.  You'll get (potentially) a year and a half for the price of 1.  In reality, it's really only a couple months they are getting free since late August and beyond sales include the next season already.

Just now, jimlaheyscar said:

All CF parks will extend through 2021.  Otherwise, it's a logistical nightmare as outlined above.  

It also entices people to start buying again once parks open.  You'll get (potentially) a year and a half for the price of 1.  In reality, it's really only a couple months they are getting free since August sales include the next season already.

But the August sales that get you in the rest of the current year are for NEW passes only AND meal and drink plans bought under that plan are not valid until the following year...this announcement means essentially nobody will be purchasing new or renewing passes in August this year...which is a large source of income lost... my long post on page 43 goes into great detail about this from a financial standpoint..  

I'm guessing part of the thinking is "if we can open, we find a way to make them want to come in"  Should KI open this year, the turnstiles will be heavy thanks to Orion, but overall I expect the numbers to be down, and down even sharper at places that don't have anything new and shiny to show off.  Additionally, a gradual re-opening could mean that trains leave the station with only every other row open, so that dispatches are limited.

There are also people that will be getting checks from the government in the coming months, some of which are trying to think of something FUN to do with that money.

• Like 1