Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yeah, I think we'll see some crowds this year due to Orion, but I doubt we'll have a record attendance year. 

And let's hope years from now that CF brass remember the reason why attendance sucked the year Orion opened and not use that data point on an attendance chart and say "look we built Orion and it didn't draw in the attendance we expected, so no more $30M thrill rides...cheap family rides for all...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

And let's hope years from now that CF brass remember the reason why attendance sucked the year Orion opened and not use that data point on an attendance chart and say "look we built Orion and it didn't draw in the attendance we expected, so no more $30M thrill rides...cheap family rides for all...."

I think CF knows if attendance goes down or is flat lined this year it is likely due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the fact the park opened later than expected. Similar thing happened with Diamondback in 2009 since it was built during the 2008/09 recession. 

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I highly believe that our states apex is going to happen sometime this month. The effects of Social Distancing are just now beginning to affect the numbers, and the rate of infections should sometime soon top out and hopefully begin to decrease.

Do not take the model for granted. We don’t have all the variables. Disney has canned the Summer-Winter College Program.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Keep in mind these are just projections. The peak will come when it comes. It could be tomorrow or several months from now. We just don't know. Also keep in mind that it will be a process to get things open. It won't happen right after the peak. We have to see a steady decline in cases and deaths first before we even think about opening things back up and start allowing large gatherings. 

Plus, there are still a lot of people who haven't been tested and a lot of people who still had potential exposure when crowds were aloud to populate at Kroger and Wal-Mart. So while it may "peak," that doesn't mean there will be a significant decrease right away. 

Hope for the best, prepare yourself for the worst. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Do not take the model for granted. We don’t have all the variables. Disney has canned the Summer-Winter College Program.

Plus Disney truly has international destination status, so they will likely be one of the last parks to re-open because they do not want to open prematurely and have to shut down again with accusations that someone got the virus while at Disney...and while most business sectors are hurting, Disney can "afford" to stay closed longer until they are assured they can re-open with minimal risk...plus they need to make sure enough time has passed that people will have the "fear factor" subside and will want to visit them...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

they do not want to open prematurely and have to shut down again with accusations that someone got the virus 

My concern is that we may use projected models as an excuse to open everything up too quickly, sparking another wave of the virus. I know there are many itching to get back to normalcy, but as age-old wisdom says, patience is a virtue. 

• Like 1

I highly doubt we go from 0-100 in a day.

the updated models for whatever they are worth, keep showing the "worst" case  scenarios lowering, and the "peak" coming sooner.  If Ohio truely peaks this week as the latest models show, the data will clearly back that up by the time the current "stay in place" order expires.  If the models updated over the weekend are wrong, they will also clearly know that by the end of the month.  That state will not open back up prior to the end of the month.

When it does open back up, it will do so gradually, schools with less than a month to go, will likely stay on the "learn from home" programs they are doing now.  Perhaps gatherings of up to 50 or 100 people will be acceptable.  Little league games?  Maybe assuming all but things like the LLWS gather far less than 100 people.  Places like Movie Theaters may open, but seating will be limited and spread out.  Places like KI, would open up later.  Professional sporting evens will be "fan free", etc... In otherwords, when it first opens up, social distancing will still be in order to an extent, similar to what we saw at the start of social distancing.  Give that a couple of weeks to perhaps a month and if things look like they've stayed positive and a 2nd wave isn't present, more things will open up.

Things will slowly open up, both by order, but also by human desire/ability.  If you had just been laid off and money is tight, you probably are not going to spring for day tickets to KI or a fancy trip somewhere.  If you had been laid off and are now back at work, you probably aren't going to be asking for vacation in the first couple of months (some don't even give that option).  Many people will also be hesitant to re-enter crowded places.  I doubt people are going to jump to pack the bars, or movie theaters or anywhere else.

No matter if that re-opening starts in May, June, August or next year, it will re-open slowly, not all at once.

• Like 1

I'd hate to be that guy on any day, let alone during this.  but it does bring up a point, if/when KI opens up there likely will be rides/attractions like ET that remain closed.

I'm guessing in 2 weeks time we will have a much clearer idea on the chances that KI opens up at all this year.

How does a ride-op on any coaster check restraints/staple without getting up close?  Is PPE the answer?  July and August hustling outside with all that on?  Not to many are going to put up with that.  I gave up wearing an N95 mask mowing my lawn after 3 times and just paid a neighbor kid to do it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

^Isn't that what sons are for, @King Ding Dong?

Absolutely, but my oldest was 6 at the time and probably didn't weigh 50lbs.  :D  I should still have the rest of the box of masks but can't figure out which box of crap in the basement they are in.  Both boys mowing machines now, but not great with the gas trimmer.  Going to try that again this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CedarFairFan787 said:

I'm really bummed that the parks got delayed. I would have been fine if this had happened any other year (or not at all), for many reasons. This season was looking to be an outstanding year for KI and other various parks. With the opening of Orion, as well as coasters in other parks like Pantheon, Jersey Devil, and the amazing Iron Gwazi. But aside from the park connection, this really had a impact on my personal plan. I had my first Disney trip planned for right about now on Spring Break. Also, relating back to KI, I bought a Gold Pass for the first time this year and added a season dining plan. That being said, does anyone know if the passholders will be receiving anything special from the park for only getting what feels like 3/4 the season. 

But wouldn't this mean these parks will (eventually) come back strong because they have these new, amazing coasters?

Here is an article about our local (and outstanding) outdoor theater's production of "Tecumseh" and its decision to unbelievably cancel the 2020 season.  It's been in continuous operation for about as long as KI.  The cascading difficulties of attempting to hit a moving target would seem to, unfortunately, just begin the scratch the surface of the difficulties of attempting to open Kings Island at a possible later date (I, like you, am still hoping for the best, though):

https://www.chillicothegazette.com/story/news/2020/04/06/tecumseh-canceled-impact-chillicothe-tourism-coronavirus/2954822001/

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

Also Subway foot long Jesus.

Only recently saw a picture of it but it looked more like Jesus telling a tale about the size of the fish he supplied for the wedding.  

Regarding all this talk of hiring and opening the park.  Think about all the restaurants that have apparently shut down for good that make all that wonderful food. Those chefs are going to need jobs so could be a phenomenal year for KI Food Service.  

Maybe we could see some actually good pizza.  :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Only recently saw a picture of it but it looked more like Jesus telling a tale about the size of the fish he supplied for the wedding.  

Regarding all this talk of hiring and opening the park.  Think about all the restaurants that have apparently shut down for good that make all that wonderful food. Those chefs are going to need jobs so could be a phenomenal year for KI Food Service.  

Maybe we could see some actually good pizza.  :ph34r:

Hit me up when KI opens for contact-less food-service pickup. I'm missing the long lines, and that savory food. :-)

• Like 1