Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

5 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Holiday World now projects June opening. That opening date would be past Holiwood Nights event.

They also did not extend their season passes to apply thru 2021.  At least for now, they are planning on offering season pass holders additional benefits in terms of free tickets and cash to be used in the park.

Source: https://www.holidayworld.com/update/

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

They also did not extend their season passes to apply thru 2021.  At least for now, they are planning on offering season pass holders additional benefits in terms of free tickets and cash to be used in the park.

Source: https://www.holidayworld.com/update/

Holiday World likely couldn't afford to extend season passes. I would think they don't have as much flexibility in thier financial as say Cedar Fair. 

• Like 1

I wonder if any of these parks have "pandemic" clauses in their insurance policies that will in essence make shuttering for a full season far less a financial risk than opening up for part of a season.  I've read on here (like 5 years ago), that Cedar Fair was self insured.  Don't know if that is true or not and if that would mean a better or worse outlook than other parks.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:06 PM, King Ding Dong said:

Also note if you want to keep making payments or pay it off fully that is still an option but requires doing it manually through the portal.  

They may not address these kinds of issues until parks start announcing planned opening dates.  

22 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I will just leave these here...current changes on Knott's webpage...

image.png

Even though they are saying at this time they are trying to figure out how to address what "be current" means in terms of the suspended payment plans, I think given that they allow you to continue payments during the "suspension" if you so choose is a likely indicator that once they open, being "current" will entail one having to make a full payment of all months missed during suspension to be considered "current" and that your original ending date will stay the same...

If they didn't offer that option, one could have a stronger argument against that, but since they are allowing people to "remain current" and pay during the suspension...I think that is "reading between the lines" as to what their answer will be...

If you are in financial position to continue with the monthly payments, you may want to consider doing so...or risk having to pay for the suspended months in full once it starts up again if you want to get into the park...

14 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Even though they are saying at this time they are trying to figure out how to address what "be current" means in terms of the payment plans, I think given that they allow you to continue payments during the "suspension" if you so choose is a likely indicator that once they open, being "current" will entail one having to make a full payment of all months missed during suspension to be considered "current" and that your original ending date will stay the same...

If they didn't offer that option, one could have a stronger argument against that, but since they are allowing people to "remain current" and pay during the suspension...I think that is "reading between the lines" as to what their answer will be...

If you are in financial position to continue with the monthly payments, you may want to consider doing so...or risk having to pay for the suspended months in full once it starts up again if you want to get into the park...

I don't think that necessarily means anything. They are never going to refuse money that they are owed, even if it's before the actual due date.

8 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Sorry, this is bad advice.

I would not recommend to anyone to manually continue paying to Kings Island right now.  They have graciously suspended the payment plan, and individuals should use this opportunity to divert this money to your personal buffer/emergency fund/cash-on-hand allotment. 

Uncertainty is the current situation for everyone, companies are making some hard choices, and everyone should be prepared.  

Growing your savings while you have income coming in and paying essentials should be your individual goal. 

When this is over, and if KI opens, you have the money stashed to pay off your our balance then.  If you lose your job, you have money on-hand when you need it. Going to the park may be the least of your concerns. 

Just throwing that out there...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maddog said:

Sorry, this is bad advice.

I would not recommend to anyone to manually continue paying to Kings Island right now.  They have graciously suspended the payment plan, and individuals should use this opportunity to divert this money to your personal buffer/emergency fund/cash-on-hand allotment. 

Uncertainty is the current situation for everyone, companies are making some hard choices, and everyone should be prepared.  

Growing your savings while you have income coming in and paying essentials should be your individual goal. 

When this is over, and if KI opens, you have the money stashed to pay off your our balance then.  If you lose your job, you have money on-hand when you need it. Going to the park may be the least of your concerns. 

Just throwing that out there...

I certainly agree with you...I guess I could have worded it differently... my "financial position" statement was meant to imply that each of us know our own financial situation and ability to financially plan and our ability to be "good with money" or "bad with money."   @King Ding Dong has a very legitimate reason why he wants to continue with his payments...

Some on here may have jobs that are not going to be impacted by this and they may also be very poor at having a personal buffer or emergency fund and spends every dime not allocated to something, so they would be the ones impacted by not setting that money aside.  Unfortunately, a lot of people are very poor with budgeting their money...and these payment plans help them budget a little easier...

If someone is good with money and has the ability to put the suspended payments into a fund that isn't touched unless all other resources and allocations of their funds are tapped out, then yes, take advantage of the suspension.

And absolutely one should take care of their other more pressing needs at the moment...amusement parks are not everything...I am certainly not implying to stay current on your KI pass and miss your rent or starve!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Maybe the cruise line industry will survive without a bailout - 2021 pre-bookings are up 40% compared to 2019 pre-bookings...

Probably due to the incentives they are offering to those who had their cruises cancelled.  Not sure about all of the industry, but some companies are offering 125% in credit towards booking a new cruise if your cruise was cancelled

24 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I certainly agree with you...I guess I could have worded it differently... my "financial position" statement was meant to imply that each of us know our own financial situation and ability to financially plan and our ability to be "good with money" or "bad with money."   @King Ding Dong has a very legitimate reason why he wants to continue with his payments...

Some on here may have jobs that are not going to be impacted by this and they may also be very poor at having a personal buffer or emergency fund and spends every dime not allocated to something, so they would be the ones impacted by not setting that money aside.  Unfortunately, a lot of people are very poor with budgeting their money...and these payment plans help them budget a little easier...

If someone is good with money and has the ability to put the suspended payments into a fund that isn't touched unless all other resources and allocations of their funds are tapped out, then yes, take advantage of the suspension.

And absolutely one should take care of their other more pressing needs at the moment...amusement parks are not everything...I am certainly not implying to stay current on your KI pass and miss your rent or starve!

Respectfully, this statement comes dangerously close to insinuating that the lower class is only poor because they are bad at budgeting money, and not for other economical reasons. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Respectfully, this statement comes dangerously close to insinuating that the lower class is only poor because they are bad at budgeting money, and not for other economical reasons. 

To make it clear and a clarification to my statement, no I am not saying that and that was not my intent, but I can see how someone could take it, so I am clarifying.

Rich people can be even worse with money than poor people.  Just because they have more doesn't mean they know what to do with it.

I know people making a lot of money, so much so that they will not be getting stimulus checks, and still have no savings or money for an emergency expense like a $400 car repair (I know someone in that position right now)...if they have the money, they spend it on stuff they don't need because the money is burning a hole in their pocket...

I know people making minimum wage that has more in savings than these "rich people" and just paid for a $400 car repair because they were frugal with their money and budgeted it correctly and has an emergency fund and live below their means (and yes I know that person too)...

Sometimes the people best with money are those that don't have a lot of it because they appreciate it more and understand budgets...

I came from a single parent upbringing and my momma made minimum wage and would take her pay every week and divide it into each envelope she had - gas, groceries, water bill, electricity, emergency fund, etc. and taught me the value of budgeting.  She proved to me that you can live comfortably with whatever pay you make.  Maybe you don't have the newest and most expensive car, but the used car gets us from point a to point b just the same...my current vehicle is a 1995 (yes you read that right) with over 300,000 miles on it.

Even NBA players live paycheck to paycheck and are hurting in this situation...

https://www.bet.com/news/sports/2020/04/08/why-some-nba-players-are-reportedly-living-paycheck-to-paycheck.html

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/04/07/cj-mccollum-estimates-one-third-of-nba-players-live-paycheck-to-paycheck/

https://www.radio.com/sports/nba/mccollum-1-3-of-nba-players-living-paycheck-to-paycheck

• Like 3

Don't take this personally, but again I need to call you out: 

40 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Some on here may have jobs that are not going to be impacted by this...

That is an incredibly naive approach to this whole situation we are dealing with.  I'm not trying to scare people here, but we all need to be very honest with ourselves.  The economic impacts of COVID-19 are just beginning to reveal themselves.  I don't want to go too far off-topic, but this is the Coronavirus thread...  

I can assure you that companies are watching their cash burn rate seriously right now--even those considered "essential".  Options are being discussed, lists are being generated, and schedules are getting re-evaluated.  Productivity in this country has taken a huge hit.  The Service industry is just what is visible and currently making headlines, but other industries are quietly biding their time.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone reading this with an active job, needs to personally be prepared for a potential loss of income.  This will be a hard lesson for some.  

• Like 3

@Maddog - I hear you loud and clear and not taking it personally...

To be clear my job has beeen impacted by this as well, so I am not in one of those jobs I refer to (mine is done next week until who knows when) but I know people who are and maybe I'm a little jealous they are flaunting it...and everyone has differing priorities on what they spend their money on....I was simply pointing out what I know some are doing, but we have to each decide what is best for us...

But yes everyone should prepare themselves for a loss of income... especially the longer this goes on...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

To make it clear and a clarification to my statement, no I am not saying that and that was not my intent, but I can see how someone could take it, so I am clarifying.

Rich people can be even worse with money than poor people.  Just because they have more doesn't mean they know what to do with it.

I know people making a lot of money, so much so that they will not be getting stimulus checks, and still have no savings or money for an emergency expense like a $400 car repair (I know someone in that position right now)...if they have the money, they spend it on stuff they don't need because the money is burning a hole in their pocket...

I know people making minimum wage that has more in savings than these "rich people" and just paid for a $400 car repair because they were frugal with their money and budgeted it correctly and has an emergency fund and live below their means (and yes I know that person too)...

Sometimes the people best with money are those that don't have a lot of it because they appreciate it more and understand budgets...

I came from a single parent upbringing and my momma made minimum wage and would take her pay every week and divide it into each envelope she had - gas, groceries, water bill, electricity, emergency fund, etc. and taught me the value of budgeting.  She proved to me that you can live comfortably with whatever pay you make.  Maybe you don't have the newest and most expensive car, but the used car gets us from point a to point b just the same...my current vehicle is a 1995 (yes you read that right) with over 300,000 miles on it.

Even NBA players live paycheck to paycheck and are hurting in this situation...

https://www.bet.com/news/sports/2020/04/08/why-some-nba-players-are-reportedly-living-paycheck-to-paycheck.html

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/04/07/cj-mccollum-estimates-one-third-of-nba-players-live-paycheck-to-paycheck/

https://www.radio.com/sports/nba/mccollum-1-3-of-nba-players-living-paycheck-to-paycheck

Minimum wage in Ohio is $8.70 an hour. Rent around here where I live averages $600 a month for a one bedroom. Someone working minimum wage even with no kids is not going to be able to afford to rent without a roommate. Let alone save any money for a $400 car repair. Also I was driving a high mileage vehicle. If you drive very far to work or plan to make very many road trips you need 2 of those kind of vehicles. In case one breaks down you have another while it gets repaired. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Minimum wage in Ohio is $8.70 an hour. Rent around here where I live averages $600 a month for a one bedroom. Someone working minimum wage even with no kids is not going to be able to afford to rent without a roommate. Let alone save any money for a $400 car repair. 

My thoughts are currently on those who are considered "essential" workers yet don't earn "essential" wages. If there's anyone here reading this who works in retail, trucking, medical, various public servant fields and other essential positions, you are the lifeblood of this country and you rock! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Probably not going to happen but I was thinking outside the box. Im not sure if this would even be allowed under the current restrictions. 

One of my favorite things about going to an amusement park is eating some of the crappy food. What if KI was able to set up tents so we could use our food passes and purchase some of that famous blue Ice cream or funnel cakes. They could even run test cycles of some of the rides here and there to keep ya entertained while we consume our amusement park food in our cars. 

I see a lot of people pushing for a loosening of restrictions in the last couple days. Which makes me worried that we're going to do that too soon, and see a rebound in Covid-19 cases. Which in turn makes me a bit pessimistic about Kings Island's chances of opening this summer. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 3