Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

more more shutting down the economy was a horrible mistake. The predictions were completely off by over 300 percent. The government has shut down a booming economy and absolutely destroyed it. 

This narrative is already tired and playing right into the hands of subversive media. 

Do you think any government official (regardless of party) wants to shut down the economy, put people out of work, or create this kind of unrest? The economy will rebound, and thankfully with more people alive than previously predicted. Better to have taken these steps and not become Italy. Also, look around you—Ohio has been relatively unscathed, but places like New York and California are loading bodies into temporary morgues made out of trucks. 

Again, you'll get to ride your giga, travel to your parks, take your cruises, do all your stuff eventually. If the elderly folks I look after had a better chance because of all this—it was absolutely worth it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Have you been drinking or something? 
I've had coffee and some water today. Tying into the parks part of this thread, I can't get Blue Ice Cream currently, so a friend picked up a pint at a local store and dropped it off. Yummy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

more more shutting down the economy was a horrible mistake. The predictions were completely off by over 300 percent. The government has shut down a booming economy and absolutely destroyed it. 

How do you think it would be if they didn't shut things down?  As a healthcare worker I am glad its not been here as bad as places like new York, Italy, etc.  If we did not have social distancing there would be a substantial higher death rate.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

If the elderly folks I look after had a better chance because of all this—it was absolutely worth it. 

This right here. 

As of today, 22,108 Americans have lost their lives to COVID-19 in such a short amount of time and I'm grateful my loved ones aren't included in that, but it would be foolish of me to downplay those lives lost as anything less than an absolute tragedy. That is a lot of people, and every single one of those lives mattered. 

And had we not put these measures in place, it could've been worse, a lot worse, and would've hit home far more brutally than it has for the majority of us Ohioans. And I'm thankful it hasn't, because every single one of our lives matter too. 

People come first. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Joshua said:

This right here. 

As of today, 22,108 Americans have lost their lives to COVID-19 in such a short amount of time and I'm grateful my loved ones aren't included in that, but it would foolish of me to downplay those lives lost as anything less than an absolute tragedy. That is a lot of people, and every singe one of those lives mattered. 

A had we not put these measures in place, it could've been worse, a lot worse, and would've hit home far more brutally than it has for the majority of us Ohioans. And I'm thankful it hasn't, because every single one of our lives matter too. 

People come first. 

Absolutely, the fact that people continue to think riding a new coaster is more important than the 22,108 people that lost their lives and their families, is absolutely astounding.

• Like 4

Just now, gforce1994 said:

Absolutely, the fact that people continue to think riding a new coaster is more important than the 22,108 people that lost their lives and their families, is absolutely astounding.

As head-scratching as it is, that outlook owes everything to the measures we've taken. Had we been more stubborn, had we put people's lives second and kept everything open, I think the conversation here would be completely different. 

• Like 1

It's not even about riding a roller coaster. The death rates have been less than a mild flew season. Think about all the lives your a destroying by keeping the economy closed. There are people likely commuting suicide rom depression, people not getting needed surgeries or screening test because they need the bed space. I have read multiple people not getting cancer treatments because the hospital is waiting to fill the bed with a COVID19 victim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

^We know how to treat flu and have vaccines for it. We don't for COVID-19 and the later is much more contagious.   Flu also doesn't overwhelm the healthcare system like COVID-19 currently is. 

I'm someone in the higher risk category, and the fact that there's still downplaying of this is frightening to me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

It's not even about riding a roller coaster. The death rates have been less than a mild flew season. Think about all the lives your a destroying by keeping the economy closed. There are people likely commuting suicide rom depression, people not getting needed surgeries or screening test because they need the bed space. I have read multiple people not getting cancer treatments because the hospital is waiting to fill the bed with a COVID19 victim. 

Are you trolling?  The reason for the low numbers are due to social distancing.  If that would have started earlier in NYC their numbers would be substantial lower.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

I anticipate many governor's cautiously opening up more places May 1st, but with social distancing policies mandatory. If Walmart & Kroger can be open with social distancing policies, why can't Kohls or Macy's or Best Buy?

Best Buy is actually still open but is limited to 10-6 and 10-15 people in a store.

8 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

More people died in the US yesterday from COVID-19 than from any other cause of death, including heart disease and cancer. Five times as many people died in New York City yesterday as died from all other causes of death combined. And while most fatalities have been older, this demographic has a higher fatality rate in general. To put this in perspective, the chance of a 25-34 year old dying has doubled in the last month since more people in this age group are dying of COVID-19 than all other causes. Sure the totals right now are less than for a typical flu season, but remember that we are only really one month in to the global pandemic. Even if we are at the peak now, there will be just as many or more cases on the way down as on the way up. And this is with the extreme mitigating measures we are taking. And yes there will be more deaths from suicide and stress-related causes, but there will also be fewer deaths from car crashes for instance. The net effect won't be known for some time but I have not seen any evidence it will be within an order of magnitude of what we are seeing due to COVID-19.

The stats above were calculated from data from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db355.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

This is getting off topic. Yes it ties into amusement parks but its making a huge turn. Things will get better as they always do. I'm just grateful for my family's health and pray this all goes away.

What is getting off topic? If it is getting off topic make another topic page.

25 minutes ago, KIguy2004 said:

Best Buy is actually still open but is limited to 10-6 and 10-15 people in a store.

Actually Best Buy changed their policy to curbside and delivery only on March 22nd ...

24 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

This is getting off topic. Yes it ties into amusement parks but its making a huge turn. Things will get better as they always do. I'm just grateful for my family's health and pray this all goes away.

I think it is on topic as it directly relates to that persons position on whether they think the park will open this year or not.  They may not be saying that explicitly, but it is certainly implied, especially if you review their prior posts.  It is easy to see which ones want the park open ASAP and which ones don't.  Whether we agree or not is another story, but one of the freedom's we have in our country is the ability to state our opinion, as long as they do not violate the TOS... (compare our freedom of speech liberties to some other countries...)

I think what @SonofBaconator was trying to say is that this thread should be specifically dedicated to corona virus impacting amusement parks and their businesses as such. Any other discussion on the corona virus like sharing medical findings or whatsoever should be put in a separate thread in the "Off Topic" forum. And I agree with that 100%. I have seen a lot of discussion relating to corona virus and the amusement park business, but there have been large spans of dialogue where we are discussing the virus not relating to the amusement park business. Again, if we are going to talk about the corona virus and it directly relates to the amusement park business then talk about it here. But if we are going to talk about the virus and its relation to stores, travel, the virus medically, or something I can't think of, then I would like to see that in a separate thread.

• Like 1

^That's nitpicky.  There are parallel conversations we can have that relate to this in many ways.  I think its better to have one place than have a bajillion different threads on it.  

Also makes it easier to avoid the threads if its only 1 for those of us who don't want to read them 24/7.  Taking a break from the news is a very mentally healthy way to get through this quarantine.  I have had to limit myself from reading about it as when I get caught up in it, I get very, very depressed.   I only read the bare basics on it daily and then spend my day doing literally anything else. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I think what @SonofBaconator was trying to say is that this thread should be specifically dedicated to corona virus impacting amusement parks and their businesses as such. Any other discussion on the corona virus like sharing medical findings or whatsoever should be put in a separate thread in the "Off Topic" forum. And I agree with that 100%. I have seen a lot of discussion relating to corona virus and the amusement park business, but there have been large spans of dialogue where we are discussing the virus not relating to the amusement park business. Again, if we are going to talk about the corona virus and it directly relates to the amusement park business then talk about it here. But if we are going to talk about the virus and its relation to stores, travel, the virus medically, or something I can't think of, then I would like to see that in a separate thread.

But talking about the virus and it's relation to sports, stores, travel, etc. all will have an influence and impact on when amusement parks re-open and mentioning these other business sectors provides the bigger picture as it relates to amusement parks that others may be missing in their analysis...we cannot look at this in a vacuum...read my documentary on page 37 as to why these discussions are relevant...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

You know, at this time that the world is in, I don’t think a topic about the coronavirus being split up really matters. We are all going through hell in this time of year, some from the sickness and some going mad from being quarantined. This topic has basically turned into this now and I don’t think we should be arguing over that when stuff like the coronavirus is going on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KIguy2004 said:

My Best Buy is open from 10-6. Most Best Buy's are open on limited hours and restricted amount of people.

Your Best Buy must not have got the corporate memo then that changed that policy...Beginning Sunday, March 22, we will offer contactless curbside service at all locations across the country where state or local laws allow. Rather than ask you to come into our stores, any items you order on BestBuy.com or the Best Buy app will be delivered to your car curbside. If, for any reason, you didn’t order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp-global/shop-confidently/pcmcat1584713369767.c?id=pcmcat1584713369767

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/a-note-from-best-buy-about-covid-19/

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Your Best Buy must not have got the corporate memo then...Beginning Sunday, March 22, we will offer contactless curbside service at all locations across the country where state or local laws allow. Rather than ask you to come into our stores, any items you order on BestBuy.com or the Best Buy app will be delivered to your car curbside. If, for any reason, you didn’t order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp-global/shop-confidently/pcmcat1584713369767.c?id=pcmcat1584713369767

https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/22/best-buy-closing-stores-coronavirus/

Here is the store hours for my Best Buy: Screenshot_20200413-174614_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

The flu does kill people.  It is most likely to kill those who have not been immunized, but the vaccine is not a guarantee that you will not have the flu.  High risk (cancer, diabtetes etc) are at a VERY high risk as well as the elderly due to age and various co-morbidity.  Like with COVID-19, these high risk groups should be extra cautious .  Community-acquired pneumonia kills between 100k-150k people each year, again mainly in high risk populations.  This virus has a projected number of deaths between 200k-300k.  Should CAP be considered a mini pandemic year round?

Suicide claims approximately 50k lives a year in the US.  I do think there will be an increase in numbers of suicide.  They still have access to telehealth, but face to face meetings with mental health professionals cannot be replicated virtually.  It is my thought that a percentage of these people will be lost as a direct result.  Added to that is the population that will suffer from mental health impairment related to the situation--"confinement", "time on my hands", "loss of income/can't pay bills"--not to mention deaths of family/friends (COVID-19 and other causes) and the way we are handling funerals now.  So suicide is a very real and valid concern.

Elective surgeries are held.  These are things like knee replacement, hip replacement (not related to a break, those will be done), lumbar fusions, bariatric, cosmetic, etc.  If you have cancer and need a surgery for it, it will be triaged, sure.  But some things can't wait, and those will be done.  If you have a history of say, lung cancer, and are suffering from a fluid accumulation and a thoracentesis, you can come to the hospital and get it done and stay for your recovery.  Screening tests like colonoscopies are triaged as well.  If you had one 5 years ago and they saw no polyups, but are supposed to have one every 5 years, you might get put on the back burner.  But if you are symptomatic, you will be screened and scheduled.  Chemotherapy is still going on as is radiation.  If you go for your clinic chemo appointment and your labs off, you will be admitted.  Trauma is still being handled.  Appendicitis is still being handled.  The deaths that will come from this situation is when people are symptomatic and not seek care.

Except hotspots, hospitals are ghost towns right now.  Hospitals are bleeding money left and right.  Staff are being furloughed.  Emergency Departments that see hundreds of cases a day are seeing 20 cases a day, if they are "lucky."  It will take health systems a long time to recover financially.  Because of the lasting financial damage, people will die.  At least in my workplace and in the experience of my peer network across the country, people are not being turned away for needed care like cancer treatments.  Those patients are actually serving as a small lifeline right now (how ironic).  Deaths will occur in the future because of the decimation of our hospital revenues because staff will reduced and money is not available for facilities and equipment.  

I have no idea how many people will die because of these things, and it is just my conjecture.  My point of this whole post is to say that as of right now, if a medical procedure is needed, it can be done (hotspots, maybe not?).  But with the collateral damage from the actions taken to combat the virus, I do think deaths will occur.  I guess I agree and disagree with @flightoffear1996.  The thoughts are my opinions based on my experience and observations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2