Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

@BeeastFarmerThank you for a detailed opinion based on your experiences.  This was a post with information to substantiate your opinion, unlike many of the one line posts that is more gut feel with nothing to validate their opinion...now whether someone agrees or disagrees is an individual choice, but at least one can understand how you formulated your opinion... 

@BeeastFarmer In these hospitals that are firing/laying off/furloughing and are ghost towns and do not have the patients.   Is the cause a blanket policy, poor administration, the lack of sufficient PPE, drugs or other supplies becuase it is needed elsewhere, people afraid to go to a hospital out of fear? Something else?

7 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

@BeeastFarmer In these hospitals that are firing/laying off/furloughing and are ghost towns and do not have the patients.   Is the cause a blanket policy, poor administration, the lack of sufficient PPE, drugs or other supplies becuase it is needed elsewhere, people afraid to go to a hospital out of fear? Something else?

Pretty simple.  There are no elective surgeries and people are afraid to go to the ER.  With lack of Corona patients hospitals are not busy.  Wings are closed down etc.

10 minutes ago, KIguy2004 said:

Well, I called my store and they said I could come in and shop.

And like I said in my post, if that is true then they are operating against corporate policy as I and @coaster sally is pointing out in her post.  Read the links I provided. 

Go down tomorrow and see if they actually let you in...from their policy: If, for any reason, you didn’t order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car.

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Your Best Buy must not have got the corporate memo then that changed that policy...Beginning Sunday, March 22, we will offer contactless curbside service at all locations across the country where state or local laws allow. Rather than ask you to come into our stores, any items you order on BestBuy.com or the Best Buy app will be delivered to your car curbside. If, for any reason, you didn’t order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp-global/shop-confidently/pcmcat1584713369767.c?id=pcmcat1584713369767

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/a-note-from-best-buy-about-covid-19/

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

In my opinion, and my opinion only in this post (but shared by many of my peers)--The elective surgeries, which are the bread and butter of most hospitals, were cancelled for a two-fold reason.  1.  To conserve PPE.  2.  To conserve rooms to "surge" the hospital expected/expects for COVID patients.  At my system, a plan was put into place quickly.  Between two hospitals, we are licensed for about 900 beds.  They added capacity for an additional 300 beds by making certain targeted floors  as Covid hubs, where the rooms would be semi private.  I have no idea how they changed the mechanics/infrastructure of the rooms or where the money to do so came from.  They also converted an athletic facility into  field hospital, for an additional 400 beds, again I have no idea where the equipment and money came from.  So the system almost doubled capacity while census is at historic lows.  If all 1600 beds are full, we would go to mandatory OT, which is concerning because that leads to mistakes and burn out, which would have repercussions far beyond this pandemic.

I think our administration has done an outstanding job given the task presented.

If not now, I project many drug shortages.  Initially, the meds used for treating COVID patients.  Long term, manufacturing facilities will suffer and the supply chain will be impacted.  When the hurricane devastated Puerto Rico, IV fluid bags were in short supply for almost a year.

The fear of going to the hospital, the lack of accidents (Spring is trauma season), lack of violence etc--I would say those are contributing factors.  

One thing I left out of my previous post:  the students of this semester will impact the future of health care.  Some good people will not advance this semester of medical school, nursing school and other allied health fields.  If they do, they will not be on the normal trajectory because of a lack of clinical experience.  Many schools are not allowing students to complete clinical rotations and switching to simulation online.  It is better than nothing, but live interaction with patients cannot be replaced by virtual simulation.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

When you lockdown society, there is going to be far less medical emergencies---in the short-term. And that's what is happening. Far less car crashes, basically zero baseball/softball injuries, way less work accidents, and on and on and on.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

When you lockdown society, there is going to be far less medical emergencies---in the short-term. And that's what is happening. Far less car crashes, basically zero baseball/softball injuries, way less work accidents, and on and on and on.

Clearly canceling the Darwin Awards Playoffs was a mistake.  :P

• Haha 1

I read this article yesterday.  It is about sports, but I think some of the statements in it are applicable to amusement parks as well. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

From the article:

Until the vast majority of the population is immune to COVID-19, the disease the virus causes, any gathering as large as an NFL game risks setting off a biological bomb. That may sound like hyperbole, but that's the exact phrase a doctor in Bergamo, Italy’s hardest hit city, used to describe a Feb. 19 soccer match between hometown Atalanta and Spain’s Valencia, which super-charged the virus’s spread.

At some point in the last couple of weeks, the discussion about prescription medications for people who have lost insurance and/or income due to employment status.  Insulin was specifically mentioned.

If you need help, you can get much lower prices on Lantus insulin with or without insurance.  Go to lantus.com and click on the sign me up now tab under $savings offers.  

I could not find any direct information for Humalog, but you might want to check with your endocrinologist about admelog.  Both this and Humalog are lispro versions of insulin and admelog is more affordable. admelog.com

If you are on metformin, I have heard you can get it at Costco or Sams free if you are a member.

Finally, there are prescription savings cards available.  Research and find what works best for you.

You can talk to your endo/provider about using Regular and NPH Humulin insulin.  Wal Mart sells these for around $25-$30 for a 300 cc vial.  You would need some education and discipline is switching up your routine.

*This post does not contain medical advice.  Always check with your provider before making any changes to your treatment plan.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, disco2000 said:

And like I said in my post, if that is true then they are operating against corporate policy as I and @coaster sally is pointing out in her post.  Read the links I provided. 

Go down tomorrow and see if they actually let you in...from their policy: If, for any reason, you didn’t order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car.

From what I am reading in the info you have provided, it does not say anything about all of the stores being shut down for curbside pickup only.  From my understanding, it is a service that all of the stores are to offer to those who still would like to purchase, but do not want to come into the store.  Nowhere does it say that the stores are closed for those that do want to enter the building to shop.  

2 hours ago, WhatTheBlazes said:

From what I am reading in the info you have provided, it does not say anything about all of the stores being shut down for curbside pickup only.  From my understanding, it is a service that all of the stores are to offer to those who still would like to purchase, but do not want to come into the store.  Nowhere does it say that the stores are closed for those that do want to enter the building to shop.  

17 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I am going to assume you either didn't read the policy in its entirely or you are a troll...or maybe you went to your local BB after March 24th and they were not following corporate policy...but I find it hard to believe that Nosy Nancy wouldn't have turned them in...their corporate policy is their corporate policy...and most state stay home orders will enforce this policy as well...

Read the sentences from the corporate policy that I bolded and italicized.  These are not my words, these are copy and pasted from their most recent statement.

What does this mean "If, for any reason, you didn’t order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car." 

What does this mean? "Only employees will be allowed in the store, but we are determined to serve you as fully as we can. "  

Their statement is written in reverse chronological order, which means the most recent press release is first.  Maybe that is why people are missing it.  If you blow right past the first paragraphs you miss it and get right into an older statement limiting to 10-15 shoppers...  The older statements are no longer valid.  They originally cut their hours and were going to allow 10-15 people in but now do not allow it.  

Since people apparently have trouble following a reverse chronological order, here it is in chronological order (so the most recent statement is now last):

• March 10th - Statement that they have upped their sanitation policies and have asked employees that do not feel well to not come to work.
  • March 17th - Statement said they were cutting hours from 10-6 and was going to limit store to 10-15 people starting March 23rd.
  • March 19th - Statement reminding people of reduced hours and limited guests in stores.
  • March 22nd - Statement that said they revised policy and were going to curbside pickup only and limited delivery - no guests inside.  No big items brought into a home.

I originally posted just the links to the actual corporate policy as those tend to be the most accurate, but there are also lots of news articles with clickbait headlines that state they are closed as apparently headlines are what some people go by to get their news:

https://www.startribune.com/best-buy-to-pay-employees-for-two-more-weeks-while-stores-remain-closed/569264792/

https://abc7chicago.com/coronavirus-closures-due-to-restaurants-closed-starbucks/6015525/

https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/22/best-buy-closing-stores-coronavirus/

https://bgr.com/2020/03/22/best-buy-closing-stores-curbside-delivery-only/

https://patch.com/california/sanmateo/california-coronavirus-starbucks-best-buy-among-store-closures

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2020/03/23/best-buy-closes-stores-to-customers-offers.html

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/best-buy-reverses-course-shuts-stores/

https://www.phonearena.com/news/best-buy-stores-open-curbside-pickup-covid-19_id123189

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/22/21189846/best-buy-curbside-pickup-home-office-coronavirus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/03/18/coronavirus-what-stores-are-open-and-who-is-closed/2865166001/

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-buy-covid-19-1095141/

https://thebullamarillo.com/amarillo-best-buy-adds-new-customer-services-amid-covid-19/

Looks blocked off to customers to me...

image.png

When enthusiasts* become professionals about a disease that not even our top "officials" know truly what it is... A lot of bickering in this thread and a lot of one sided minds it seems. If someone says they disagree with the stay at home order then immediately someone chimes in "Orion and parks can wait!" this isn't about parks. Why are they openly coming out and saying that they are being encouraged to put Covid-19 on death certificates for people that have not been diagnosed? Something about that don't seem  fishy? Or the fact that Dewine and Mrs. Actons projected #'s are not even close to what they said? Kinda seems like they are inflating the #'s as much as possible to me. I think some people need to wake up to whats actually going on, yes this is real and people are dying, but how much more are we willing to go through for this? Lets just give them more power to scare us...

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Just now, coaster sally said:

How hard is it to understand.  People are not spreading disease due to the stay at home order.  If it was business as usual then it would be out of control.

Keep telling yourself that. Why does that count go up each day then if people aren't spreading it? Who's spreading it then? bugs, dogs, birds maybe?? :rolleyes:

The situation is being handled in the best way possible in association with scientific research and analysis being done. There is still a lot we don't know, but I have faith in wold-wide scientific institutions to find the right answers.

Not everything that risks a disruption of normal American life is a conspiracy, hoax, or government plot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KIBOB said:

The situation is being handled in the best way possible in association with scientific research and analysis being done. There is still a lot we don't know, but I have faith in wold-wide scientific institutions to find the right answers.

Not everything that risks a disruption of normal American life is a conspiracy, hoax, or government plot.

Who said conspiracy, hoax, or plot? Again jumping to conclusions and all one sided. I'm just asking for people to open their eyes...

Also wheres your proof it's being handled the best way possible?

You realize all the people on the front lines dealing with people everyday are constantly being exposed to the virus, right?  Medical workers, first responders and those working at the essential businesses.  Hospitals are desperate for supplies to protect their workers.  Also take into account that there are those still ignoring the stay at home orders, either through individual means or the fact that there are still states that haven't issued stay at home orders yet.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

Keep telling yourself that. Why does that count go up each day then if people aren't spreading it? Who's spreading it then? bugs, dogs, birds maybe?? :rolleyes:

Is everyone staying at home? No. The more people that are out the more people that can possibly become infected. As per your proof that this is being handled in the best way possible look at our hospitals, they aren’t becoming overwhelmed like those found in Italy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

Who said conspiracy, hoax, or plot? Again jumping to conclusions and all one sided. I'm just asking for people to open their eyes...

Also wheres your proof it's being handled the best way possible?

You did say fishy. There are not enough tests to waste them on the dead.  Wish there were but increased testing is apparently not a federal priority right now.   The Doctors know what this looks like so they are making a diagnosis.   

We don’t know if this is being handled in the best possible way, I will give you that.  What we do know is it is not being handled by you so it is not in the worst possible way.  :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1