Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

There is far more dangers involved with all this than the virus. There is far to much bad information out there that has a bad agenda. People need to back off the one sided thought because we have a mutual enemy and more than just the virus. Large amounts of the bad information is being started in other countries that don't like us. They know it will form a wedge between people here.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

You did say fishy. There are not enough tests to waste them on the dead.  Wish there were but increased testing is apparently not a federal priority right now.   The Doctors know what this looks like so they are making a diagnosis.   

We don’t know if this is being handled in the best possible way, I will give you that.  What we do know is it is not being handled by you so it is not in the worst possible way.  :P

Definitely got me there. I should've said "in a way that lines up with current evidence". Certainly not the worst way to handle this situation, but definitely not the best!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

You did say fishy. There are not enough tests to waste them on the dead.  Wish there were but increased testing is apparently not a federal priority right now.   The Doctors know what this looks like so they are making a diagnosis.   

We don’t know if this is being handled in the best possible way, I will give you that.  What we do know is it is not being handled by you so it is not in the worst possible way.  :P

Ya cause the Covid-19 symptoms are so different from the cold or flu huh? Kinda weird too how flu deaths have been low this year. You can keep sacrificing your freedoms, but I will not. I'm not a sheep believing everything the media says. Especially when they are posting fake reports and have been for years. I'll just leave it at that, like I said its pretty much a one sided thing here, people need to open their eyes up. But then again some of you were the ones fighting over crane names....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

But then again some of you were the ones fighting over crane names....

Oh the good old days when we were young...how I wish we could go back to them...speaking of that, did I ever tell you I walked 6 miles back and forth from school everyday?! :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, standbyme said:

Oh the good old days when we were young...how I wish we could go back to them...speaking of that, did I ever tell you I walked 6 miles back and forth from school everyday?! :P

Now that made me laugh. Something true though many more people could be walking and exercising too many lazy people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

All Cedar Fair parks have basically now announced this. To me this basically confirms the earliest opening is late May. But very likely June atm. We'll see. 

No, more like late July early August if they do. But then, would it be the financially better option to open?

so... help me here:  "extended into 2021."  

Leaves some room for interpretation here:  is that extended into... as in equivalent to time deducted in 2020- ie- park opens June 1, 2020- so the 2020 Season Pass is good through June 1, 2021?  Or is it, season passes are extended "through" 2021?

• Like 1

Just now, gforce1994 said:

No, more like late July early August if they do. But then, would it be the financially better option to open?

I said the earliest is late May. Obviously it'll likely be later that that. I honestly think they are doing this because hundreds of people kept asking them to do it in pretty much every comment on any post. To me I'm glad CF is doing it. 

Just now, Outdoor Man said:

so... help me here:  "extended into 2021."  

Leaves some room for interpretation here:  is that extended into... as in equivalent to time deducted in 2020- ie- park opens June 1, 2020- so the 2020 Season Pass is good through June 1, 2021?  Or is it, season passes are extended "through" 2021?

I believe it's for all of 2021. 

1 hour ago, jensenracing77 said:

There is far more dangers involved with all this than the virus. There is far to much bad information out there that has a bad agenda. People need to back off the one sided thought because we have a mutual enemy and more than just the virus. Large amounts of the bad information is being started in other countries that don't like us. They know it will form a wedge between people here.  

45 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

Ya cause the Covid-19 symptoms are so different from the cold or flu huh? Kinda weird too how flu deaths have been low this year. You can keep sacrificing your freedoms, but I will not. I'm not a sheep believing everything the media says. Especially when they are posting fake reports and have been for years. I'll just leave it at that, like I said its pretty much a one sided thing here, people need to open their eyes up. But then again some of you were the ones fighting over crane names....

I will agree with you that there is far too much bad information out there.  Most of it being spread by people that do not educate themselves and simply let click-bait headlines misinform them...

As an example, let's just look at the current Best Buy debate going on in this thread.  Despite all the evidence, both from the Best Buy website itself, dozens of articles about it, and first-hand anecdotal experiences that the stores are not allowing shoppers in their stores and it is curbside pick-up only, people still believe you can go down to your local Best Buy and walk in and browse around.  If that were the case, where are the viral TikTok videos of people in defiance of this policy?  We have seen videos of people defying every other policy or common sense measures, why not this one...I have seen viral videos of toilet seat lickers, spring breakers, but nobody in a Best Buy....

If we as a society can not agree on if a shopper can currently go into a Best Buy, what makes you think people will agree on covid-19 and the proper course of action?

Heck, I see people trying to go thru the drive-thru at Chick-fil-A on a Sunday...or people go stand in line at the stand at KI on a Sunday...

Too many people rely on bad and/or outdated information and do not educate themselves further.  

People formulating opinions on covid-19 based on information they heard in February and are unwilling to be open-minded as new information is presented and are unwilling to admit their first opinion is wrong are how one-sided opinions and rhetoric continue and how all the bad information passing that exists...

Which freedoms are truly being violated? - People can still practice religion, buy guns and ammo, have their freedom of speech, their rights to vote, etc..  Are some of the ways to go about that a little different now in addressing this issue, sure, but you still have those freedoms.  What could you do in January that you cannot do now that has you so upset?  Our stay-home orders are basically lip-service and self administered (I recognize there are a few limited exceptions for those that violated something that is essentially a temporary law).  Any other complaint is simply a first world issue problem.  Compare how other countries dealt with this back on page 28 of this thread...

Compare our freedoms to some other countries...  Some of the stuff people have posted here would have them fined, jailed, or publicly lashed in some countries...

Everyone in America is entitled to their opinion and everyone else in America is entitled to not agree with that opinion - one of our protected freedoms in this country.  I respect someone's opinion a lot more if they can provide substance and proof as to how they formulated their opinion.  Maybe I agree with it, maybe I don't.  I am open-minded enough that once provided with additional information that I wasn't aware of, I am "man enough" (or person enough) to change my opinion if warranted.  If their proof can be summed up as a click-bait headline and political rhetoric, it is a little harder to sway people from their up-to-date researched opinion...

• Like 1

Lol at some of these posts. There are no 'sides' to this-there is reality, fiction, and the collective struggle to determine which is which. This is uncharted territory and our leaders (some more than others) are doing what they can to mitigate an awful disease. It is an extreme luxury to be able to dismiss the advice/warnings of experts-it means that you have been spared the worst of it...and that you likely WERE spared the worst because of these 'overeactive' measures. 

I long for carefree days at the park, taking in afternoon ballgames with huge crowds, etc...but none of that will happen until the general public feels safe enough to make that happen. WE are the economy, and you don't just flip a switch and start things back up.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

All Cedar Fair parks have basically now announced this. To me this basically confirms the earliest opening is late May. But very likely June atm. We'll see. 

Canada's Wonderland hasn't announced this yet....

And for all the reasons people have stated previously....this could mean they do not intend to open this year too...

• Like 2

Just now, disco2000 said:

Canada's Wonderland hasn't announced this yet....

And for all the reasons people have stated previously....this could mean they do not intend to open this year too...

I don't think they don't intend to open this year. In fact, parks I believe are going to do anything they can to open. However, if it gets to the point where it wouldn't make financial sense to open, they won't. Like if they get to let's say mid July, would it make sense to open then especially if there is talk of a second wave in the fall? I agree with what you've said in the past where they likely have a time where if they can't open by then, they'll just scrap the season and focus on next season. 

5 minutes ago, MoreFogPlease said:

I think we’re lucky they built Orion when they did... I think most parks are in for a couple years of no new major rides announced.

Especially since they just eliminated a significant source of revenue...who will be buying or renewing passes come August...nobody needs to now...There is a significant consequence from a capital expenditure standpoint if they do open this year...

I can hear the first world complaints already in 2021 - "the park didn't add anything, screw this, I am not going to renew for 2022...I am not buying a pass for 2022 they aren't adding anything new..."

• Like 1

At this point my questions/concerns lie in whether or not it’s “worth” opening this year. Mid-May is seeming more and more unlikely as time goes on. With the likely thinned out crowds once thing start do start opening up again coupled with the threat of a second spike in cases... yikes. We’re headed into to the weekend-only part of the season.  

There isn’t a magic economy switch that’s going to open the country back up all at once. It’s certain to be a slow process with many caveats regarding large crowds specifically. Is it financially worthwhile to open the park without much of a guaranteed return on their investment? Between planned special events, staffing, food service, and beyond it seems as though there may not even be enough guests (who are either allowed into the park or are choosing not to for their own safety) to justify the 2020 season. I’m legitimately curious about the logistics behind the decision. 

All we can do is wait and see, I guess. Oh, and maybe listen to those in the medical and scientific community. They seem to know what they’re talking about. Your constitutional rights aren’t being stripped from you. You might just have to wait longer to ride Sally’s Sea Plane again. You’ll be all right. 

Stay smart, stay safe.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

We all saw this coming.  If sports are up in the air opening why would an amusement park?

This is being talked about because  some members of  are claiming it’s “essential”. The thing we need to realize is, the faster we comply and follow CDC’s and state’s recommendations, the quicker we can beat this virus!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

but face to face meetings with mental health professionals cannot be replicated virtually

I understand the spirit of the original post, but I have to passionately disagree with this portion. As someone with mental illnesses who has seen multiple counselors in his life, the quality of care you receive can be just as good as in face-to-face meetings. And for some folks, online counseling/therapy is their only option. I would be a SIGNIFICANTLY unhealthier, unhappier, and more anxious person without my online therapist. I can fully understand someone preferring face-to-face time with a therapist, and I think that's very valid, but the virtual option can be just as successful if it works for you. And I don't think it working out is the exception or a given; it's just a matter of what works for each individual. For me, it works.

I only speak up on this because I know I'm feeling an emotional burden from social distancing that is not doing my mental health any favors. Online counseling seems to be the only way of seeing a counselor at the moment, if I'm not mistaken, and I know it's doing me a lot of good. I just don't want anyone to have the impression that trying therapy online is a waste of time and money, because for a lot of people it isn't. And I would offer that anyone who wants to try therapy online should do so if they're able, but I'd remind them that it's not THE way to do it, and it's okay if online isn't your thing.

• Like 1

Hopefully and if KI opens this season they will reassess ride lockers/bag storage. It's a safety requirement but those will be high touch points. As much as ops wants to cut cycle times by grabbing people's bags for them at loading, that needs to be cut out for their sake at least.

32 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Hopefully and if KI opens this season they will reassess ride lockers/bag storage. It's a safety requirement but those will be high touch points. As much as ops wants to cut cycle times by grabbing people's bags for them at loading, that needs to be cut out for their sake at least.

But now you’re forcing ride ops to handle more germs. When in reality you touch the lockers and can easily just go wash your hands or squirt sanitizer.  People need to quit passing the buck into others. 
ride ops will have enough to do check restraints get a squirt of sanitizer repeat. They don’t need the extra exposure of bag handling when there are restrooms practically next door(ki speaking) to where ride lockers are.  Lockers for Banshee, mystic ( maybe Orion/FOF lockers got bathrooms addedIn that area LOLOL) are close enough you can take care of yourself in that regard.  Plus before closure many added multiple handling and sanitizing stations in places so if we do our part we can increase the safety of the park ourselves.

And maybe they’ll add wipe down lockers points to the custodial list every hr or so. But many of the fears of cleaning touching etc found through out these pages can be dealt with by your own self by being more proactive about your own hygiene habits.  Some of this spread is because we became lax in these areas, lord knows I’ve touched things and probably gave myself something without thinking because until now getting the flu or cold or whatever wasn’t a big deal since we have cures and vaccines.  But if we as a society tighten up on our hygiene we can have some of our joys back within reason.  I’m not afraid to touch a restraint someone else did because I’ll either wash or sanitizer after and not touch my face lol  

i don’t know why people think they can’t get value of it doesn’t open up by mid June. Value is relative. We didn’t get our passes till Memorial Day last year and that could have been our one day (tornadoes missed us but many had touched within a mile of us in places). We probably went maybe ten times or so over the summer and thrice to haunt and twice to winterfest. I feel i got great value. My little went from riding a fee kiddie rides to conquering The Beastie and wanting for more! Her water confidence also grew over the summer at ki.  This year we added dining as not having it made it less value of the visit having to shell out 30$+for a single family meal lol. i can’t believe how much food went up, i can i just don’t want to like it lol. At least it’s not to 20$ disney prices yet.  

But anywho try to stay positive guys, it’ll be what it’ll be. We may get June or maybe July but they’ll want whatever revenue they can get and i also think they could cut a few rides etc to save expenses or be able to operate with less people. If they announced it ahead of time like this weekend only coasters will be running and Planet Snoopy. Or this day Coney Island and River town and Action Zone. They could actually operate like they do when they start to limit for end of season. It would be a way to manage crowds and expectations.  I’m sure they are working all the different strategies to best play out what ever the reopening of things look like. Be realistic but reality we only lost three weekends( counting those in April)  so far there’s plenty of time yet to come :)  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

But if we as a society tighten up on our hygiene we can have some of our joys back within reason.  I’m not afraid to touch a restraint someone else did because I’ll either wash or sanitizer after and not touch my face

^ So much this!!  We need to stop worrying about surfaces, and worry about what we do AFTER we touch the surface.  Viruses like these aren't a big issue on your clothes/shoes/hands.  Keep your hands out of your face!  Always act as if your hands were covered in mud.

Sanitizing the world is an exercise in futility.  It would be insane the efforts necessary to sanitize every contact surface in a theme park.  

A fun thought exercise: Imagine the number of things you have touched, then grabbed your cell phone, and put that phone up to your face :blink:

• Like 1

Just now, Maddog said:

^ So much this!!  We need to stop worrying about surfaces, and worry about what we do AFTER we touch the surface.  Viruses like these aren't a big issue on your clothes/shoes/hands.  Keep your hands out of your face!  Always act as if your hands were covered in mud.

Sanitizing the world is an exercise in futility.  It would be insane the efforts necessary to sanitize every contact surface in a theme park.  

A fun thought exercise: Imagine the number of things you have touched, then grabbed your cell phone, and put that phone up to your face :blink:

Unfortunately people have a tendency to touch their face not even realizing.

3 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Unfortunately people have a tendency to touch their face not even realizing.

Excuses.  Take some personal responsibility.  This is a habit that can (and must) be broken.  Education and awareness campaigns work here. 

I have co-workers who spend their entire days in a production environment with dirty gloved hands due to materials they are working on.  Somehow they don't manage to have those materials all over their face at the end of a shift :D!  I'm talking people whose hands are literally covered in dirt/grime for hours on end.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1