Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 hours ago, KIfan73 said:

First off, ABSOLUTELY AWESOME of them to have done this.  Very gracious.

HOWEVER, I feel like that pretty much sums up that they are NOT very optimistic of opening AT ALL (or very much) in 2020.

Stores, bars, restaurants, breweries, etc should start opening back up in the next 4 weeks I think (hope!), but I think it will be a VERY long time till they allow 100s or 1000s of people to gather at amusement parks, beaches, sporting events, concerts, and airports again...  Like maybe late late summer or fall.

If they don't, there will be "flare ups" and certain regions will have to shut down and start over again on a smaller scale.

Hope that's all wrong!!! 

Glad C.F. did what was "right".

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maddog said:

^ So much this!!  We need to stop worrying about surfaces, and worry about what we do AFTER we touch the surface.  Viruses like these aren't a big issue on your clothes/shoes/hands.  Keep your hands out of your face!  Always act as if your hands were covered in mud.

Sanitizing the world is an exercise in futility.  It would be insane the efforts necessary to sanitize every contact surface in a theme park.  

A fun thought exercise: Imagine the number of things you have touched, then grabbed your cell phone, and put that phone up to your face :blink:

It is one thing in a work environment with gloves on because you are now consciously aware and have probably been trained as part of your job, but people will touch their hair, adjust their sun glasses or regular glasses, wipe their watery eyes, remove bugs off their face (looking at you TTD at CP) all before getting off the ride...

What about over the shoulder restraint rides that touch your face as you pull them down like Banshee can or I-305...I have had my sunglasses ripped off moving those restraints over my head…

Plus most touch their face without even realizing it....turn your webcam on while you sit at your computer reading and typing here and then play it back and see how many times you touch your face…

10 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I don't know if the virus can be shed via perspiration, stool, urine or other bodily fluids. But if it can, and be harbored in warm places, every single one of us is in trouble!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oh it can through some of those...

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41575-020-0295-7

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85315

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=229095

I could see the park moving to touch free restraint checks. For example, the ride attendants will go to each row and ask riders to buckle and tighten their own belts, then ask riders to lower the restraints. They will have seen you do it, so they will know it's secured without even touching or coming close to you. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thabto said:

I could see the park moving to touch free restraint checks. For example, the ride attendants will go to each row and ask riders to buckle and tighten their own belts, then ask riders to lower the restraints. They will have seen you do it, so they will know it's secured without even touching or coming close to you. 

That is a possibility for many of the rides.  The reality is because of the lawsuit crazy society we live in is part of the reasons for these restraint checks.  It is posted and should be the rider's responsibility to know the rules and guidelines of the ride and obey them. I know the lapbar came down the required amount and that my seatbelt is secure and having a speed check by an employee doesn't make me feel any safer.  Yet I witness on almost every trip a rider that thought the seatbelt was optional on one of the rides I am in line with. 

I don't know this for a fact for every ride and I am sure there are exceptions, but I know most of the newer roller coasters cannot dispatch if the lap bar/restraint is not secured, so the employee speed check is more for checklist and liability reasons and redundancy than anything else. Now I do realize that none of the seatbelts have this feature, so they are checking that.

I get into my vehicle and strap my seatbelt on and never has anyone done a pull on it to insure that I secured it properly, yet statistically, one is more likely to be injured or die in an automobile accident than an amusement park ride accident...

All things considered I'm thankful I didn't throw 700-800 in the trash (plat + fastlane) but even if they do open this year I think I'm just gonna sit things out to be on the same side. Haven't eaten any fastfood since it started for the same reason. Just pray everything is squared away this time next year.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Maddog said:

Excuses.  Take some personal responsibility.  This is a habit that can (and must) be broken.  Education and awareness campaigns work here. 

I have co-workers who spend their entire days in a production environment with dirty gloved hands due to materials they are working on.  Somehow they don't manage to have those materials all over their face at the end of a shift :D!  I'm talking people whose hands are literally covered in dirt/grime for hours on end.  

Unfortunately it is going to take something extreme like a few years meditating at a mountain top abbey in Nepal for me to not to touch my face. Maybe big pharma will come up with something, sigh. I just itch to much and sweat to much.  I am doomed.  Goodbye cruel world.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

A declining business sector anyway, but one that will not re-open now because of the virus...https://www.wlwt.com/article/west-chesters-skatetown-usa-to-close-after-17-years-in-business/32146599

Wow. Just wow. A lot of my friends are really gonna be disappointed.

27 minutes ago, Thabto said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the other chains and even independents are in a similar situation.  I have no idea what the drive-in situation is like in OH but in STL they were all forced out of business by eminent domain because they were deemed “undeveloped property” and replaced with strip malls.

5 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

I'm hoping for July. Apparently, the virus doesn't survive on surfaces when the heat and humidity are high.

It does continue to spread in equatorial countries. However, not nearly as fast as it has spread in the northern hemisphere during the colder months. Summer will help. I don't know that it will help enough to open the park, but it will most certainly help.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

If transmission only occurred through surface contact there wouldn’t be a need for any kind of masks.

It doesn't spread as well outside via aerosolizing in the heat and humidity, either. Sunlight apparently kills it. Besides, I would not have a problem wearing a mask if it meant we could go this year. Would you?

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Do you have a source for your scientific claims?

This is what sucks about our current world. A simple google search of "coronavirus heat and humidity" pulls up articles that quote professors saying summer heat and humidity will slow the spread, and also big headlines that no, it will not. There's also "it might" and "don't count on it". 

What a mess. I guess we just don't know, but traditional logic based on science suggests heat and humidity will help. Uh...but it might not. I guess?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

This is what sucks about our current world. A simple google search of "coronavirus heat and humidity" pulls up articles that quote professors saying summer heat and humidity will slow the spread, and also big headlines that no, it will not. There's also "it might" and "don't count on it". 

What a mess. I guess we just don't know, but traditional logic based on science suggests heat and humidity will help. Uh...but it might not. I guess?

Yep and the basis of the scientific method is repeatability.  That takes time and money.  Much easier to go with a hunch.  

Warm weather causes people to get out and do things. Cold weather keeps people inside. If you are out and about, your family is as well. You're not passing the same "germs" around over and over. This is how it works for the common cold and flu. However, this is a new virus, so there is the possibility it will not repeat the cycle

As is said around here often , just because it was done one way, don't expect that in the future. There's my topic tie in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kirbias1 said:

It doesn't spread as well outside via aerosolizing in the heat and humidity, either. Sunlight apparently kills it. Besides, I would not have a problem wearing a mask if it meant we could go this year. Would you?

UV will kill it, but one does not get enough from sunlight to be effective to kill it.

Water treatment plants use UV to disinfect.  If it is a water plant, then chlorine will be added as well before it is sent out into your home.  If it is wastewater, then it will be discharged to a water body. 

UV radiation affects microorganisms by altering the DNA in the cells and impeding reproduction. UV treatment does not remove organisms it merely inactivates them. The effectiveness of this process is related to exposure time and lamp intensity as well as general water quality parameters.  

The exposure time is reported as "microwatt-seconds per square centimeter" (uwatt-sec/cm^2).  Most treatment plants have a lamp intensity of 30,000-50,000µwatt-sec/cm^2.  It takes 16,000µwatt-sec/cm^2 to kill all known viruses and bacteria in water...

It takes about 6,000µwatt-sec/cm^2 to kill the flu and 8,000µwatt-sec/cm^2 to kill hepatitis.  It is believed covid-19 will be comparable, but tests are still being done...

How much UV does the sun provide - equivalent to 8.5µwatt-sec/cm^2...enough to get a nasty burn, but not enough to kill a virus, or even fecal matter (well actually e. coli).  Wash your hands...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

UV will kill it, but one does not get enough from sunlight to be effective to kill it.

Yeah, I've done way too much reading on this lately myself. Even a "micro-droplet" that hits the ground fast in summer heat & humidity is probably not a problem. But if you put your hand on a big loogie someone spit on the handrail you're in trouble. Same if someone coughs right in your face.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Yeah, I've done way too much reading on this lately myself. Even a "micro-droplet" that hits the ground fast in summer heat & humidity is probably not a problem. But if you put your hand on a big loogie someone spit on the handrail you're in trouble. Same if someone coughs right in your face.

Or intentional or unintentional saliva expelled from the row in front of you on a fast roller coaster...I have been the victim of that and it is nasty...and now said person could be brought up on attempted murder charges:P

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, spooky21 said:

Ya cause the Covid-19 symptoms are so different from the cold or flu huh? Kinda weird too how flu deaths have been low this year. You can keep sacrificing your freedoms, but I will not. I'm not a sheep believing everything the media says. Especially when they are posting fake reports and have been for years. I'll just leave it at that, like I said its pretty much a one sided thing here, people need to open their eyes up. But then again some of you were the ones fighting over crane names....

Can the virus be spread through bulls**t? I don’t want anyone getting sick from @spooky21’s posts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3