Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

20 minutes ago, Joshua said:

37,055 Americans and counting in..

Just..

One..

Month..

this can go back and forth.  I'm more concerned of the 8-12% uptick in cardio vascular disease that will be brought on from shelter in place, lack of mobility, no exercise that comes from just not being out.  640,000 die from cardio vascular disease every year.  a 10% increase is an additional 64,000 in that tally.  That's my demographic.

Disney, Universal, and apparently Six are looking to open on or around June 1.  My guess is that Cedar Fair properties won't be too far behind.  

I, for one, cannot wait to get out and begin to resume some semblance of a routine.  

Really, I just want a haircut.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

@Outdoor Man made a reference above about how COVID-19 deaths pale in comparison to cardiovascular issues.

I'm in agreement with most of your post.  But the context of my post wasn't to compare the death rates of COVID-19 to Cardio Vascular Disease.  It was to say that the way that policy makers have addressed the current situation is going to have a fairly significant unintended consequence in the coming few years. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

I'm in agreement with most of your post.  But the context of my post wasn't to compare the death rates of COVID-19 to Cardio Vascular Disease.  It was to say that the way that policy makers have addressed the current situation is going to have a fairly significant unintended consequence in the coming few years. 

I understand your context, I was simply building upon your cardio statement to counter the argument other people are commenting in other forums or news articles statements like "Open up the economy, heart disease kills more than COVID does".  That may be a true statement, but heart disease isn't contagious either!

You raise a very valid point regarding the CDC study projecting the increased deaths associated with cardiovascular and other ailments as a result of this.  It's a data point not many have thought about, so thanks for pointing that out.  

Personally, I have lost weight throughout this.  Part of it is I haven't had any take-out food since March 14th, and I have been in ration mode on my food because apparently people thought grocery stores would close so for the first few weeks I couldn't find anything LOL...still no toilet paper on shelves near me...I am sure I will find that weight and more once KI opens up and I use my meal plan!

But you are correct, the dilemma policy makers are in is overwhelming, which is why most President's leave the White House with a lot more grey hair than they went in with!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

this can go back and forth.  I'm more concerned of the 8-12% uptick in cardio vascular disease that will be brought on from shelter in place, lack of mobility, no exercise that comes from just not being out.  640,000 die from cardio vascular disease every year.  a 10% increase is an additional 64,000 in that tally.  That's my demographic.

Disney, Universal, and apparently Six are looking to open on or around June 1.  My guess is that Cedar Fair properties won't be too far behind.  

I, for one, cannot wait to get out and begin to resume some semblance of a routine.  

Really, I just want a haircut.

The purpose of my posts isn't to discredit your concerns, but to point out that those 37,000+ were people. Like standbyme expressed in his post, it makes my heart sink every single time I see someone even remotely suggest that people's lives are expendable and their deaths an "acceptable" sacrifice to protect our economy. 

I'm not saying I don't want a normal life again nor am I saying I'm unconcerned about our economy. I'm one of those who was affected economically by this. I lost my job. Not furloughed, laid off permanently, and I worked hard for that job. Also, for what it's worth, I fall into another statistic you mentioned on the last page. I've gone through many tough battles in the last decade, and I'll have another one ahead of me in the months to come. 

Respectfully, I'm saying those people are most than just percentages, those lives mattered.

• Like 2

Hot off the press today, Cedar Fair this morning just made an offering for $875 million in secured notes

That means they basically put their parks up as collateral in exchange for this money.

These notes, once issued, also revises their Credit Facilities agreements with various other lenders to suspend or reduce their debt payments during this time.

If you "read between the lines", does this offer a clue as to when they think they may open?...

@PatchesC - their shares (units) are taking a nose-dive after this announcement...weren't you waiting for the right time to buy some for your 11-yo just for giggles:P

• Haha 1

The other christian events like Point Fest and Kings Fest at KD were also cancelled. You know what's weird is the announcements were all in the same format. It makes me wonder if Cedar Fair themselves cancelled them. They had to make a decision now because it costs a lot of money to put on these events and they don't want to hold it when there is so much uncertainty on this pandemic. We are witnessing history being written. For those of you like me who were born after 9/11, this is going to be the big event you'll be able to tell your kids and grandkids where you were and how it affected you during this pandemic. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The other christian events like Point Fest and Kings Fest at KD were also cancelled. You know what's weird is the announcements were all in the same format. It makes me wonder if Cedar Fair themselves cancelled them. They had to make a decision now because it costs a lot of money to put on these events and they don't want to hold it when there is so much uncertainty on this pandemic. We are witnessing history being written. For those of you like me who were born after 9/11, this is going to be the big event you'll be able to tell your kids and grandkids where you were and how it affected you during this pandemic. 

It’s cool but not cool at the same time being in such a catastrophic event in history 

4 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

It’s cool but not cool at the same time being in such a catastrophic event in history 

It's definitely not cool to be apart of what might be one of the most uncertain times in history as well as such a deadly event. My great grandfather lived through the Great Depression and he flew a plane in WWII. My great grandfather collected jars because after the Great Depression he said that we would never know when you might need them. 

• Like 2

Just now, standbyme said:

You hope. <_<

Yeah I hope it is the only big event. I don't want to have to witness any terrorist attacks on the level of 9/11. I was born a little over 9 months after 9/11. I have never witnessed an event like this pandemic and none of us really have. Like we have seen disease outbreaks before, but not on this level. At the way things are going, this is likely the worst disease outbreak since the 1918-1920 Spanish Flu and that was back before there was not much technology. 

1 minute ago, standbyme said:

@Hawaiian Coasters 325 My dark meaning was That “you hope” that you’ll be around to tell your kids & grandkids. (No one ever thinks that they themselves will be part of a statistic.) Now hop on over to the Brighten Someone’s Day thread to get cheered back up! :P

I definitely hope I'm around to tell my kids and grandkids about this event. Even great grandkids. 

• Like 1

I was watching TV live when the 2nd plane hit the tower and it was obviously clear that that the events of 9/11 were intentional (for those too young, the initial reports suggested that the first plane was something along the lines of a single engine Cesna).

I always thought that would be my JFK moment, and for the most part I can tell you so many small details of that morning.  This is going to be much, much bigger in those life event kind of things.  While 9/11 was tragic and surreal, for the most part it didn't have a direct effect on much of the nation.  For the most part, 9/11 was a singular event and for most of America, life returned to normal within a week with little to no personal affects.  Covid is forcing us all to live differently, even if we don't know anyone affected by the virus.  Its happening over such an extended period of time that its going to force many of us into life changing habits (good or bad) for a long time after.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It's definitely not cool to be apart of what might be one of the most uncertain times in history as well as such a deadly event. My great grandfather lived through the Great Depression and he flew a plane in WWII. My great grandfather collected jars because after the Great Depression he said that we would never know when you might need them. 

My Grandmother always kept plastic butter containers because of her experience with the Great Depression. You never knew whether you were opening up butter or something else entirely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, medford said:

I was watching TV live when the 2nd plane hit the tower and it was obviously clear that that the events of 9/11 were intentional (for those too young, the initial reports suggested that the first plane was something along the lines of a single engine Cesna).

I always thought that would be my JFK moment, and for the most part I can tell you so many small details of that morning.  This is going to be much, much bigger in those life event kind of things.  While 9/11 was tragic and surreal, for the most part it didn't have a direct effect on much of the nation.  For the most part, 9/11 was a singular event and for most of America, life returned to normal within a week with little to no personal affects.  Covid is forcing us all to live differently, even if we don't know anyone affected by the virus.  Its happening over such an extended period of time that its going to force many of us into life changing habits (good or bad) for a long time after.

I used to think when I heard of the major mass shootings like the one in El Paso, I used to think that it would be my 9/11 moment. Like on the days those happened my brain would usually be around it the whole day. However, my life would then return to normal in a couple of days. I never thought in my life that I would get to experience a large pandemic. 

21 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Exactly.

But hey, at least Grand Carnivale is still on for June.

I would go more along the lines of it is a placeholder for the time being:P  There are portions of KI website that still reference Spirit Song as happening this season...

"It is important to remember that Cedar Fair is a publicly traded company and that affects the type and timing of our communication."

Up until last week it also showed a mid-May opening, including Kings Dominion despite a Virginia stay-home Order in effect until June 10th...

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

@PatchesC - their shares (units) are taking a nose-dive after this announcement...weren't you waiting for the right time to buy some for your 11-yo just for giggles:P

Thought it'd be a funny Bday present since she's a coastermaniac. Sorta like buying a star, or plot of land on the moon. Considering the unit cost right now, a couple wouldn't hurt us.

Performance in the Park with begins May 22nd-Nov still has the 22nd as a start date, hopefully they are being conservative on what they need to cancel. 

No surprise here, but the Ohio press conference today announced K-12 schools will remain remote learning the remainder of this school year. 

Too early to determine for the fall, but Governor does believe it will be some blending and he will allow the local school district to decide how best to comply in the fall.  Some may be remote, some may have a combination, and some may alter the structure of the school day to comply with social distancing.  He expects a lot of flexibility next school year.

He also said he does not anticipate day cares opening up with Phase 1, so that knocks KI out as so many seem to use it as such:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

No surprise here, but the Ohio press conference today announced K-12 schools will remain remote learning the remainder of this school year.  Too early to determine for the fall.

Sucks to be stuck at home doing school work. But on the bright side, once the end of May rolls around, it will be summer break and school won't be a worry until August.

16 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Sucks to be stuck at home doing school work. But on the bright side, once the end of May rolls around, it will be summer break and school won't be a worry until August.

I've been doing online school for years. I don't find it bad, but I can see how some people won't like it. I'm a senior in HS and the main thing affecting me is that I was supposed to go down to Orlando in a few weeks for graduation and that got cancelled. They will be doing a virtual ceremony. My heart breaks for my fellow senior friends who don't get to experience their prom.