Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

26 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

What does this mean for the First riders event?

Keep in mind that was first and foremost a fundraiser and charity event...maybe they combine it as part of media day...or maybe they simply thank you for your charitable donation?...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The only amusement park that seems “out of touch” with virus developments is Kentucky Kingdom who just posted they are planning to open in early June with longer daily hours.   (And there website makes no mention of any COVID-19 update for the park - the site is all about advertising to buy your ticket packages now, just very weird)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlky.com/amp/article/kentucky-kingdom-plans-to-open-early-june-with-longer-hours-coronavirus-summer/32211232

11 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

The only amusement park that seems “out of touch” with virus developments is Kentucky Kingdom who just posted they are planning to open in early June with longer daily hours.   (And there website makes no mention of any COVID-19 update for the park - the site is all about advertising to buy your ticket packages now, just very weird)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wlky.com/amp/article/kentucky-kingdom-plans-to-open-early-june-with-longer-hours-coronavirus-summer/32211232

Which is interesting given that the latest IHME modeling (the widely used and "accepted" model) is suggesting that the Kentucky stay-home Order continue until June 8th...

47 minutes ago, collin.klopfstein said:

What does this mean for the First riders event?

6740EF38-7B5E-4743-AA08-991D4C523038.png

I wonder if there is a way to get a hold of Don or park management. I think we should somehow suggest they implement some kinda "First Dibs" policy for any Coasterstock 2021. Meaning if you had a ticket for 2020 you get first dibs at 2021. Its only fair seeing as how fast it sold out this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

I wouldn't say they are out of touch, while it is a long way away still, Universal and Disney are both set on opening up June 1st, and I'm assuming the rest of the industry will follow with social distancing in place, take a look at Universal's survey they sent out to park guests and annual passholders in this Blooloop article:  https://blooloop.com/news/universal-orlando-survey-reopening-precautions-coronavirus/

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I've been doing online school for years. I don't find it bad, but I can see how some people won't like it. I'm a senior in HS and the main thing affecting me is that I was supposed to go down to Orlando in a few weeks for graduation and that got cancelled. They will be doing a virtual ceremony. My heart breaks for my fellow senior friends who don't get to experience their prom. 

Being a regular public school student, the last month has been pretty rough for me. My last day of physical school was Thursday March 12. I haven't seen or talked to anyone I know since then. I have seen a few people I know via video chats for specific classes, but other than that not at all. I haven't gone anywhere since then as well. Side note I hope I am not the only one going stir crazy. And yes, my Prom was cancelled, which means that I only have one more year to experience high school Prom. And the Seniors I know, oh boy. If you are a Senior on here I can't express how sorry I am for you. I know the ones I know are pretty upset that the last year of their high school was pretty much cut short. And the athletes have it even worse I can imagine. It just....really sucks is all I am going to describe it.:(

As negative as this is, I still try to maintain a positive attitude. I know I will go to physical school again. I know I will see my friends again. I know I will go to Kings Island again. I know I won't be confined to my house for the rest of my life. This turbulent time in our history will pass and life will resume. I guarantee it. I watched New York's Governor Cuomo give his daily press conference and the number of cases in the hardest hit state is thankfully going down. I don't know how the situation is currently here in Ohio and I didn't get to see the full press conference from Columbus, but if Governor DeWine is talking about re-opening the state, that to me is terrific news. As long as we open with caution to do our best to prevent a second wave of infections, our lives will return to some state of normalcy. Personally I don't believe things will ever be the exact same they were before this all started. I think we will all be more aware of respiratory diseases as such and infections as a whole. But I have full faith in that we will recover from this pandemic.

On a final note, I want to specifically express that this event was unprecedented and that blaming people right now won't help anyone. Nobody 5 or 6 months ago could have predicted this. I will not discuss whether or not this was purposeful or accidental. I intend on going on solid ground facts. But I will not discuss that here since it violates the ToS and I want, to the best of my abilities, respect others opinions and try to see things from their point of view.

I want to apologize for rambling on about this, but bottom line is we will make it though it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rhyano said:

I wouldn't say they are out of touch, while it is a long way away still, Universal and Disney are both set on opening up June 1st, and I'm assuming the rest of the industry will follow with social distancing in place, take a look at Universal's survey they sent out to park guests and annual passholders in this Blooloop article:  https://blooloop.com/news/universal-orlando-survey-reopening-precautions-coronavirus/

Where have you seen Disney plans to re-open June 1st that is not more than 10 days old?  Disney hotels and restaurants are not taking reservations until June 1st, but that doesn't mean they will open then...especially if nobody is filling those up...

Plus the widely accepted IHME modeling suggests that Florida doesn't start Phase 1 until June 8th...

This article that came out today has analysts predicting they will not re-open this year: https://www.barrons.com/articles/disney-stock-downgrade-theme-parks-reopen-2021-51587402754 and an article yesterday https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/rumor-disney-planning-for-walt-disney-world-to-remain-closed-for-the-rest-of-2020/ and the majority of WDW forums are not speculating an opening then either...

The survey by Universal is simply another tool companies will use to gauge interest in their product - will people come out and when and under what conditions.  Universal will then take the information as part of their re-opening strategy and considerations on when they re-open... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Keep in mind that was first and foremost a fundraiser and charity event...maybe they combine it as part of media day...or maybe they simply thank you for your charitable donation?...

Kid raised $238 in cash, we have no way to get it to them right now since can't turn it in at the park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It was also their single highest fundraising event in park history. I'm sure they are going to do whatever they can to do something to recognize the people who raised the $150 required. As well as the top fundraisers. 

Yeah I was number 16 with 638 dollars raised. Yes it would be a bit disappointing if the event got cancelled but I know the money I raised went towards a good cause. 260 dollars of that 638 was my money but I’m still happen i got to participate in the event :)

• Like 4

At the Ohio Governor press conference today, he mentioned that he isn't sure yet what may happen to the fair season, but to assist these organizations, he has waived the requirement that a local fair provide a matching share to get access to state grants so that should fair season not happen or a qualifying fair decides not to hold their event this year, they can still access this state money to pay for some of their fixed costs for this year.

He said sporting events, concerts, events with large crowds will not be in Phase 1 due to the problems in dealing with social distancing. 

He anticipates getting medical type operations back up first such as doctors for annual physicals, dentists, orthodontists, physical therapy, elective type events as they have masks, etc. that were part of many of their practices long before this.  He expects companies that can continue remote working to do so.  They are still trying to figure out which other businesses could start to open up, but reiterated it will be phases within a phase.  Open something up, let it go for a couple weeks and evaluate what happened and go back or move forward depending on the results.  They are trying to avoid the scenario where a company or business re-opens and then 3-4 weeks later has to be shut down again.

A reporter asked him about kids typical summer events like zoos, pools, amusement parks, summer camps, etc. and he could not provide a definitive update or timeline regarding these.  Dr. Acton said she thinks the plateau will have to be convincingly on the downward trend before some of these will open.  Dr. Acton indicated that opening anything that would draw people from other states to Ohio is months away or longer before they will even consider allowing those to open.

A reporter asked about when could kids go out and play with their friends and people socialize with friends and family and they said that even when Phase 1 starts, that doesn't mean these things can occur without still complying with current social distancing requirements.

They said while they are using May 1st as the target to start the re-open process, the reality is they expect that will be pushed back based on lack of testing capability to monitor, so they are trying to figure out how to start slowly to allow controlled facilities to re-open until such time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Here's an article that came out today by the Sandusky register. Turns out CF is pushing to get the parks open.

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/230646/cedar-points-parent-company-argues-its-vital-to-local-economy/

I imagine so! They can stay closed only for so long...

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Here's an article that came out today by the Sandusky register. Turns out CF is pushing to get the parks open.

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/230646/cedar-points-parent-company-argues-its-vital-to-local-economy/

It isn't a surprise that Cedar Fair would have a representative on this Task Force and no doubt they have been lobbying behind the scenes as well.

In fact, large companies typically have lobbyists on retainer to persuade elected officials on items beneficial to the company they represent.  For example, SeaWorld spent $180,000 last year in lobbying efforts.  In 2016, they spend almost $1.2 million on lobbying efforts - those familiar with SeaWorld's troubles can figure out why they spent so much that year...

One of the reasons why schools in Virginia did not go back to school until after Labor Day was because Kings Dominion lobbyists were successful back in 1986 to convince the elected officials to make that a law, commonly known as the Kings Dominion Law

Kings Dominion didn't do that to be nice to kids LOL, they did it because they persuaded state legislators that to survive, the tourism industry needed late-summer guests visiting theme parks and teenagers available to operate the rides and keep the park clean.  Sadly for students, that law was repealed last year after a decade of attempts to get rid of it, but it had a good 33 year run.

No doubt CF will be lobbying to open up as soon as possible and before the "we won't make money if we open after this date".  Putting the spin of how Cedar Point helps out all the other small businesses in the area is certainly a valid argument deflects the true intent off of Cedar Fair being self-serving in pushing this.  And no doubt they will also be concurrently lobbying for bailout assistance if they cannot open up this year.  CF will play both sides, just like they (or their designated employees depending on the laws), make donations to all political parties and PACs - gotta be in good graces with whichever person is in office...  Now whether the elected officials can be persuaded will be another story...

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 11:02 AM, disco2000 said:

Hot off the press today, Cedar Fair this morning just made an offering for $875 million in secured notes

That means they basically put their parks up as collateral in exchange for this money.

These notes, once issued, also revises their Credit Facilities agreements with various other lenders to suspend or reduce their debt payments during this time.

If you "read between the lines", does this offer a clue as to when they think they may open?...

@PatchesC - their shares (units) are taking a nose-dive after this announcement...weren't you waiting for the right time to buy some for your 11-yo just for giggles:P

Cedar Fair bumped the offering of $875 million in secured notes up to $1Billion.  I guess they figured if they were putting their parks up as collateral, might as well go big... 

• Like 1

Amid all the projections I don't see how they factor in people's willingness to go to the park. Sure you have some that don't see this virus as real at all and I'm sure they'll be there...then those that think careful distancing is enough, etc...but there are plenty (myself included) who have simply invested too much into staying safe at this point to risk it all for a few fun hours at the park. I just don't see how, short of a massive leap in medical assurances, they can project how many would show up if they open any time soon.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Some really interesting information in that article.  Sounds like they have done quite a bit of preparing to open with allowing for the coronavirus still being an issue (masks, partitions, etc.).  

I know I am ready for it to open. The more and more information coming out, this has been WAY overblown. I would be willing to bet my season passes that after this is all said and done, maybe another year roughly, we will see the death rate here in the US will be right close to the same amount as the flu bug and very likely less. It is for sure more contagious and obviously nobody wants sick in any way but it is not looking like the killer we were told it was.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

I know I am ready for it to open. The more and more information coming out, this has been WAY overblown. I would be willing to bet my season passes that after this is all said and done, maybe another year roughly, we will see the death rate here in the US will be right close to the same amount as the flu bug and very likely less. It is for sure more contagious and obviously nobody wants sick in any way but it is not looking like the killer we were told it was.   

May I ask what sources you use for your information and why you think the precautions we've taken haven't contributed to keeping the death toll below expectations?

• Like 2