Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

18 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I know several that have done that...I am contemplating it myself.  My friends that have got off social media are so much more happier than they were before.

I'm off most social media as well. Besides having an account here, I have a Youtube account (I don't make videos, but I can "Like", Subscribe and comment on videos if I so choose) and I'm on LinkedIN. I gave up Snapchat, Twitter and Facebook and I'm glad I did. However, I know I'm on Youtube a lot but I guess one could consider that the new TV lol (not that I'm making excuses).

More on topic, I'm curious what businesses will be deemed essential. I know it'll be a while before I start going out due to having a health condition that would be further impacted by COVID-19, but at the same time, I would really like a haircut lol. It will also be nice to go to book stores (and eventually places like the malls and Kings Island) again, but I know I'll have to wait a while for those to open.

An interesting CDC finding that air conditioning may spread COVID-19 droplets in a restaurant.  For Florida theme parks such as Disney/Universal an interesting consideration in opening strategy.  For those inside dining locations at Cedar Fair parks (and the few select restrooms) that have air conditioning, another consideration in opening the parks.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article#tnF1

I took some time to fully read that article.  It has a good diagram of the specific situation and testing data. The conclusion was that strong breeze from air conditioning pushed droplets from one table to another.  There were no contaminants that went through the AC unit itself, based upon testing of the unit surfaces later.

From that data, one can conclude this would be no different than if you replaced the AC with an oscillating fan pointing across people. 

I've seen some news articles providing clickbait headlines that AC is bad.  Maybe the better conclusion would be to not be "downwind". 

BTW, for those not familiar, those slimline wall AC units (super common in China, provide a very noticeable cross breeze), more so that what is the common in typical US central air systems.

• Like 2

While this doesn't have to do with theme parks, I find it really cool that musicians are using this opportunity to perform sets from the comfort of their homes. Last night, I watched an acoustic version of Keiino's "Spirit in the Sky", which I thought was really cool.

Other bands and artists, like Jeremy Camp (along with his wife and kids), and For King and Country are doing sets like this and I think it's a great idea at a time like this! :D

Bowling for Soup is doing actual paid virtual shows that are advertised through the BandsinTown app and are run through a site called StageIt, where you have to sign up for an account and pay actual money for a ticket. 

Overall, I think this is cool how bands and artists are adapting to these challenging times we live in! Here's to more positive (and unique) contributions to be made admist the pandemic. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

An interesting CDC finding that air conditioning may spread COVID-19 droplets in a restaurant.  For Florida theme parks such as Disney/Universal an interesting consideration in opening strategy.  For those inside dining locations at Cedar Fair parks (and the few select restrooms) that have air conditioning, another consideration in opening the parks.

What is this air conditioning in the bathrooms you speak of at Kings Island??? XD LOL every time i used them in the summer might as well have come off a water ride!! ha ha
>< 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

If anyone wants another example here is one about a call center in South Korea.  43% of the people on a single floor ended up being infected.

This is part of the reason having everyone wearing a face mask when possible is so important.  A mask does not prevent you from getting sick, although it might assist in keeping you safe.  What a mask is good at is helping slow the spread from infected individuals, especially the people who do not know they are sick.  Even a simple cloth covering will prevent the majority of droplets from traveling away from a person.  In Asian countries its normal to wear a mask when an individual feels sick in an effort to protect others, often cheap and disposable.  The idea here is the same but now that we appear to have confirmation that the majority of infected individuals never have symptoms it is more important that everyone wear a mask.

The faster we can slow the spread of the disease, and the better we are at keeping the spread down, the faster we can get back to work, and back to the parks.

43 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

For anyone following along with Mike Dewine, Amy Acton, and John Husted’s daily briefings, you may find this enjoyable!

I shared that on here a few weeks ago. It's very hilarious. There's actually a video on YouTube where someone interviewed the masterminds behind this clever video! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I shared that on here a few weeks ago. It's very hilarious. There's actually a video on YouTube where someone interviewed the masterminds behind this clever video! 

I guess I never saw your post, but it is so funny!

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

So, on the flip side of things, apparently many things in Piegeon Forge (TN) will starting opening back up May 1st:

https://themeparkuniversity.com/theme-parks-101/pigeon-forge-tennessee-to-be-first-tourism-destination-in-united-states-reopening-on-may-1st/

Here are guidelines on how their competing neighbor plans to re-open...

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/569933921.html

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Here are guidelines on how their competing neighbor plans to re-open...

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/569933921.html

To be fair, the goal of stay-at-home orders has never been to eliminate Covid-19, but rather to slow its spread. Unless you live where a large outbreak is happening, many hospitals right now are seeing LESS patients than they have at the same time in previous years. Thus why some areas feel it's okay to open up for business (with distancing), and other people think it's absolute craziness. Depends where you are, and what the local circumstances are.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snowball said:

Oh god what will I do? No magazines? This is insanity! :P

They don’t sell those kind there anyway.:o

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

Depends where you are, and what the local circumstances are.

Working out splendidly for Singapore with contract tracing and testing that would make our heads explode.  Should be an interesting fall semester at Purdue, who knows maybe all of them will give it a go.  It won’t end well.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Should be an interesting fall semester at Purdue, who knows maybe all of them will give it a go.  It won’t end well.  

This will be interesting. I live here, in West Lafayette proper home to Purdue. To date there has been no deaths in Indiana under-20, and I think only one under 30. Kids will certainly build immunity. There's some really difficult decisions being made right now, that is for sure. I don't think anybody quite has a grasp as to what "ending well" even means yet. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

This will be interesting. I live here, in West Lafayette proper home to Purdue. To date there has been no deaths in Indiana under-20, and I think only one under 30. Kids will certainly build immunity. There's some really difficult decisions being made right now, that is for sure. I don't think anybody quite has a grasp as to what "ending well" even means yet. 

Whole lotta science and engineering going on at Purdue. I can’t even begin to imagine how much science and medical research, research of all kinds really, that goes on up there. Im sure everyone is going to stay away from PURDUE UNIVERSITY when brilliant minds need to be working together to solve an unsolvable connundrum

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Working out splendidly for Singapore with contract tracing and testing that would make our heads explode.  Should be an interesting fall semester at Purdue, who knows maybe all of them will give it a go.  It won’t end well.

Dammit. Proof of human error. We’re all idiots and cannot be trusted. 

Edited by amapan
Accidental post

40 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Singapore's cases are mostly migrant workers. I'm not saying they aren't essential, but it's about living quarters, and not exactly relevant to the midwestern US.

6 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Singapore's cases are mostly migrant workers. I'm not saying they aren't essential, but it's about living quarters, and not exactly relevant to the midwestern US.

What about the workers and living quarters for employees at Cedar Point....

3 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Dorms are filled with people under 30 who are not dying. Relevant? I think so. I think so A LOT!

1st of all people people under 30 can still get very sick from this virus but more importantly those people in the dorms would then spread it to others which will eventually lead to older or more at risk people get infected with the virus 

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Where are these dorms filled with people under 30 right now?  

Stop playing dumb, and look at the death-rates across the USA under-30, and then tell me your argument. I've already told you Indiana's...about one death under 30. Look at Michigan which has 2x indiana's positive cases...a couple.

3 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

1st of all people people under 30 can still get very sick from this virus but more importantly those people in the dorms would then spread it to others which will eventually lead to older or more at risk people get infected with the virus 

Under 30-s will not spread the virus to older people if older people are staying home and social distancing. Right? I mean...that's what we're told. Wear a mask, stay home, etc. What's the problem?

2 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Exactly.

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

Stop playing dumb, and look at the death-rates across the USA under-30, and then tell me your argument. I've already told you Indiana's...about one death under 30. Look at Michigan which has 2x indiana's positive cases...a couple.

The issue is not so much the students keeling over but all the faculty and staff that are mostly not under 30 that have to provide the service these students are paying for.  They are not so easily replaceable.  :lol: