Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

The issue is not so much the students keeling over.

I think this is really what Mitch Daniels was trying to point out. 

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

but all the faculty and staff that are mostly not under 30 that have to provide the service these students are paying for.  They are not so easily replaceable.  :lol:

True this! I don't think ALL the faculty and staff are going to drop-dead, but that is a valid point. And I think Mitch, and Purdue as a whole, is trying to figure this part out. How to keep faculty and staff safe. That doesn't mean the entire thing has to shut down though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I think this is really what Mitch Daniels was trying to point out. 

True this! I don't think ALL the faculty and staff are going to drop-dead, but that is a valid point. And I think Mitch, and Purdue as a whole, is trying to figure this part out. How to keep faculty and staff safe. That doesn't mean the entire thing has to shut down though.

If they can’t figure that part out these tenured professors will just take a sabbatical or retire. They are not going to spend an hour in a lecture hall with 300 super spreaders 3X a week.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

If they can’t figure that part out these tenured professors will just take a sabbatical or retire. They are not going to spend an hour in a lecture hall with 300 super spreaders 3X a week.  

Fair. And I see nothing wrong with that. We need to protect those most at risk. I wholeheartedly agree with that! I do see some benefit for "the others" moving on though.

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

So DeWine's going to be unveiling a reopen Ohio plan tomorrow. So tomorrow, I think we should get an even better idea on when the park may start getting ready to open and maybe take a slight guess on when they are going to reopen or if they'll reopen at all. 

It's almost May, and it's going to get hot out soon. Those who want to stay home will. We're about to find out how strong this virus really is. Governor's be darned!

21 hours ago, Snowball said:

Oh god what will I do? No magazines? This is insanity! :P

Magazines are a dying breed and B&N is one of the few places around here that sells a decent selection (i.e. more than just gossip, guns, and car mags). Personally, I love perusing their film and horror magazines and they are the only place that carries my favorite, Cinefex. 

• Like 3

Many on here will like this investor's thoughts...

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/26/3-reasons-disney-world-will-open-this-summer.aspx

Update on Ohio Press Conference:

May 1 - any medical appointment or outpatient procedure can start

May 4 - manufacturing, distribution, construction, general office can start

May 12 - retail can start to reopen

Restaurants, gyms, salons, day care, day camps, pools, sporting events, concerts, amusement parks, tattoo places, etc. still no date to open and Governor would not speculate as to a date.

Data will be looked at and dates above subject to change if data backtracks.

Stay home order and 14 day self-quarantine if you enter Ohio and all social distancing including no gathering over 10 people still in effect.

Employees and guests to places open need to wear masks and comply with all social distancing requirements.

Edited by disco2000
Updating as press conference unfolds.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's the plan from the press conference:

https://local12.com/news/local/gov-dewine-expected-to-begin-outlining-plan-to-reopen-ohio-cincinnati?fbclid=IwAR27CNE0jcU8RcPxxss_TxMzlpNHiKGJo8tHw9gE9Gfgs6Hpjkw1Lm0h3PI

The good news is that Dewine isn't ruling out having things over the summer. In fact he sounds like he really wants to have them. However, we aren't there yet. If I were to take a guess, restaurants and stuff like that will open towards the end of May. Amusement parks (with plenty of guidelines) mid-late June at the earliest. 

• Like 4

The article that was posted a few days ago said they would need six weeks to get up and running.  If they were told yesterday they could open, that would put it into mid-June.  That would be less than eight weeks of daily operation.  If they are given the green light on June 1, that would give a mid-July opening date - providing less than a month of daily operations.  The park would have lost April, May, June, and half of July - including roughly eight weeks of daily operations representing a massive chunk of their business.

I've never operated an amusement park,  but I don't see a way of it making sense to open this year.   And, no, I can't believe I just typed that.  :(

The article that was posted a few days ago said they would need six weeks to get up and running.  If they were told yesterday they could open, that would put it into mid-June.  That would be less than eight weeks of daily operation.  If they are given the green light on June 1, that would give a mid-July opening date - providing less than a month of daily operations.  The park would have lost April, May, June, and half of July - including roughly eight weeks of daily operations representing a massive chunk of their business.
I've never operated an amusement park,  but I don't see a way of it making sense to open this year.   And, no, I can't believe I just typed that.  

“They would need four to six weeks notice to get things prepared for when it opens.” They could do it in four weeks not 6. Who says the park can’t prepare to open without having a set date by the government? And who knows if the government has already talked to them about when they should be prepared to open?

22 minutes ago, KIfan73 said:

I've never operated an amusement park,  but I don't see a way of it making sense to open this year.   And, no, I can't believe I just typed that.  :(

It said 4-6 weeks. So probably around 5 weeks. According to what was released yesterday, construction, manufacturing, and offices are going to be able to get back and going soon (I forgot the date on that). So that likely means the maintenance people are going to be able to return soon as well as some of the people in the offices.  

1 hour ago, KIfan73 said:

Exactly...and look at all the companies that have been "authorized to open" in other states and said they won't yet... Movie Theaters in Texas and George, dental offices in Kentucky - think about that, a dental office that is familiar with PPE and used it long before this happened are staying closed for the moment.  Plus a lot of these places cannot find PPE and that is a requirement for all employees...

Before the Ohio announcement yesterday, restaurants in Ohio like Camp Washington Chili said even if they were allowed to open on Friday, they would not do so yet...

Where does a KI fit in all of this?  Since they are non-essential and haven't been given the go ahead, one could argue that means they cannot even begin to train and prepare for operating and would they even do so with no guarantee of being able to open?  We have members of this forum that are employees, so let's see when they get the call back...  It normally takes KI 4-6 weeks to prepare to open, would it really be the same time frame considering having to do training in compliance with social distancing or will it take longer?  I guess if they cut enough attractions from opening, they could shorten the time-frame...  Here is a what-if...what if they make the decision to not open Orion as that is the draw that would overload whatever requirements they have to comply with... 

One of the cornerstones of "re-open America" is to react and respond to what the latest data tells them, and if the state sees an actual spike, guess what happens... For example, West Virginia's re-open is based on not seeing a 3% or more increase for 3 consecutive days - one of the few states to actually define what will trigger them holding steady or reversing what is open.

Nobody wants to be Denver  - they re-opened up a little too early in the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic and got a re-surge during the first wave of the outbreak that was worse than what they experienced initially. 

Our current elected officials acknowledge that once re-opening starts, we will start to see an uptick again, so it is a balance of not opening up too early and have re-surge be larger than the initial surge.  I would think most companies would rather wait two weeks and be able to re-open and stay open than open two-weeks early and being open a month and then getting shut down for another two months or more...and we are seeing evidence companies are thinking that way in states that opened...and the Ohio Governor has said that is what businesses are telling him -  people that actually own and run these companies...

image.png

So the question will be, do our states see a new spike that is worse than the first?  And history tells us that we will see Covid-19 again this fall and next spring 2021.  History also shows the 2nd of the three phases is usually the worse...so the worse is probably yet to come...

• Like 2

I'm an employee and haven't gotten any update on anything. However, when I do get one, I won't be able to share it on here because that is a violation of company policy. 

Also, here is an article about what Orange County is doing for the parks there (Disney, Universal, etc)

https://wdwnt.com/2020/04/orange-county-task-force-establishes-initial-guidelines-for-walt-disney-world-reopening-guest-spacing-wiping-vehicles-etc-mayor-believes-june-reopening-realistic/?fbclid=IwAR0YNsH1ypyRredU4MqDp8nAmzuLqsI9JCy8toIg0yiNUsRJ3cGoXCss00M

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm an employee and haven't gotten any update on anything. However, when I do get one, I won't be able to share it on here because that is a violation of company policy. 

True...but as we have found out with others here, it doesn't mean someone won't (post will obviously get removed)...but many people do not read their employer policy or care, especially those that are younger and all they have known is social media...I have seen lot's of posts elsewhere that are clear violation of company policy (and I am not talking drones LOL)...

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

True...but as we have found out with others here, it doesn't mean someone won't (post will obviously get removed)...but many people do not read their employer policy or care, especially those that are younger and all they have known is social media...I have seen lot's of posts elsewhere that are clear violation of company policy (and I am not talking drones LOL)...

Yeah I know. Like a few weeks ago when a notice sent out to CP employees surfaced all over social media. 

Keep in mind, big brother in China also requires them to be tracked of their every move and scan in every place they go and then their personal data is used to sort individuals into color-coded categories – red, yellow or green – corresponding to their health status and level of risk for COVID-19 based on where they have been.  I doubt we would ever see that level of tracking here...and alternate seating like that on most of KI rides would still be within the 6 foot separation requirement for social distancing, so KI trains would be even more spread out than the above picture...

In some places in China, face masks are mandatory as well...and that is a big difference.  The Ohio Governor today just relaxed that stance and said now customers do not need to wear face masks if they choose not to, but he strongly recommends...this change alone will be a key factor for many companies deciding when to open...yesterday companies still decided not to re-open when it was a requirement for customers to wear masks, so this will probably add to the list of companies deciding to delay when opening...

Plus from Fantawild's very own website, this isn't social distancing and I am sure Neighbor Nosy Nancy would be quick to turn KI in for something like this...

image.png

but on the plus side, anyone that feels the picture takers at the front of the park are annoying, that would probably be something eliminated when KI does open:P...

Keep in mind, big brother in China also requires them to be tracked of their every move and scan in every place they go and then their personal data is used to sort individuals into color-coded categories – red, yellow or green – corresponding to their health status and level of risk for COVID-19 based on where they have been.  I doubt we would ever see that level of tracking here...and alternate seating like that on most of KI rides would still be within the 6 foot requirement for social distancing, so KI trains would be even more spread out than the above picture...
In some places in China, face masks are mandatory as well...and that is a big difference.  The Ohio Governor today just relaxed that stance and said now customers do not need to wear face masks if they choose not to, but he strongly recommends...this change alone will be a key factor for many companies deciding when to open...yesterday companies still decided not to re-open when it was a requirement for guests to wear masks, so this will probably add to the list of companies deciding to delay when opening...
Plus from Fantawild's very own website, this isn't social distancing and I am sure Neighbor Nosy Nancy would be quick to turn KI in for something like this...
image.png.de6e871db8f474064b1100ceff3996d1.png
but on the plus side, anyone that feels the picture takers at the front of the park are annoying, that would probably be something eliminated when KI does open...

I sent that picture just to show what trains might look like when the park opens, nothing else. I call it social distancing because they’re socially distant from each other and I don’t know what else to call it. You also don’t need to put ... after every sentence/in the middle of sentences. Anyway, since the state doesn’t mandate facial coverings to be worn in public, if the park itself wanted to have them, they could probably enforce it.
  • Like 1

I sent that picture just to show what trains might look like when the park opens, nothing else. I call it social distancing because they’re socially distant from each other and I don’t know what else to call it. You also don’t need to put ... after every sentence/in the middle of sentences. Anyway, since the state doesn’t mandate facial coverings to be worn in public, if the park itself wanted to have them, they could probably enforce it.
The ellipsis (...) means that superfluous words are omitted. I'd shutter to think of the length of posts if disco used words instead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The ellipsis (...) means that superfluous words are omitted. I'd shutter to think of the length of posts if disco used words instead. emoji23.png

Thank you:P  I agree 100%!

Most of the time it is that, but sometimes it is also to imply a "read between the lines" statement, or that this information is subject to change based on the ever-changing data analysis happening. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fishely said:

Anyway, since the state doesn’t mandate facial coverings to be worn in public, if the park itself wanted to have them, they could probably enforce it.

They could but they sure don't have a history of enforcing rules other than phones out on rides or sidewalk chalk.:D

Also when Disco heard "build the wall" he mistakenly thought it meant Build a Wall of Text.  :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

They could but they sure don't have a history of enforcing rules other than phones out on rides or sidewalk chalk.:D

sidewalk chalk? Has that ever happened where someone brought in sidewalk chalk and drew on the concrete? I honestly would love to see KI do a sidewalk chalk event someday where people can draw on the concrete lol. 

5 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

sidewalk chalk? Has that ever happened where someone brought in sidewalk chalk and drew on the concrete? I honestly would love to see KI do a sidewalk chalk event someday where people can draw on the concrete lol. 

This was fun.  The park probably took it to far but I suspect the reason was this lady had a "I want to talk to your manager!" attitude going on.

8 minutes ago, JubJester said:

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but what are the possibilities of masks being recommended at parks when they open?

It would be nice on Millennium Force, when the bugs are out and about.:lol:

Yesterday, it would have been mandatory for guests per Ohio Governor Order

Today it is recommended but not mandatory for guests per Ohio Governor Order

What KI and CP decide is yet to be determined as they have not even been considered by the Ohio Governor for possibility to re-open

As of right now, masks will still be required for all employees, except for businesses that the Ohio Governor is being told are not allowed per some other standard, but that Order hasn't been issued yet

Tomorrow is another day and may bring yet another revision to the Order

I really wanted to add "..." after each one LOL:P