Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

...In the past face masks have been expressly prohibited by the park, so....

...  --- ...

Yet KI allows masks for kids under 13, which is ironic because we have been told by many on this forum that this is an age demographic that doesn't get the covid:P

image.png

• Like 1

Not to change the subject too much, but Holovis has created an app called Crowd Solo, and I really do think that it is going to be the frontliner for theme parks reopening all over the world, and it's free for attractions to use. Holovis hosted a webcast this morning showing off the app, I unfortunately didn't make it like I wanted to, but I'm sure there will be a replay posted online showing it off, and I highly recommend looking into it! http://www.holovis.com/free-social-distancing-app-to-help-destinations-re-open-safely/

4 minutes ago, rhyano said:

Not to change the subject too much, but Holovis has created an app called Crowd Solo, and I really do think that it is going to be the frontliner for theme parks reopening all over the world, and it's free for attractions to use. Holovis hosted a webcast this morning showing off the app, I unfortunately didn't make it like I wanted to, but I'm sure there will be a replay posted online showing it off, and I highly recommend looking into it! http://www.holovis.com/free-social-distancing-app-to-help-destinations-re-open-safely/

That's cool!  Would be interesting to see how a park could mandate it.  If this company is thinking, they should figure out a way to incorporate it into a parks own app!

Otherwise a park will still wanna create their own so they can sell the "all season social distancing plan":P

10 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:
10 hours ago, Fishely said:

They could but they sure don't have a history of enforcing rules other than phones out on rides or sidewalk chalk.:D

The best jobs I have ever had, and also the most successful for me and the companies as a whole, were extremely strict when making sure people followed the rules and held them accountable across the board. If you were tardy because of a car accident and it was your last chance, they let you go. Why have policies or rules at all if some can get away with breaking or bending them and others can’t.  This isn’t just a problem for theme parks, but any business. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rhyano said:

7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

That's cool!  Would be interesting to see how a park could mandate it.  If this company is thinking, they should figure out a way to incorporate it into a parks own app!

Otherwise a park will still wanna create their own so they can sell the "all season social distancing plan":P

If this thing uses GPS constantly count me out. The park can issue me a refund and we will just part ways and I will have to find new hobbies, I didn't agree to carrying a monster 1lb battery around with me all day.  The CP & KI apps drain any iPhone I have used at the parks at typical 100% GPS usage which means less than 3 hours run time.  I fully realize everyone else in the world is somehow able to use the apps and not have this issue.  However for the ride times to work "allows allow" has to be selected and it just doesn't work for out for me so I am constantly having to dig into settings shutting app permissions on and off.  I have batteries up to 26000 but I don't want to carry that sucker around all day. If it wants to do a quick poll ever 15 minutes or so that is fine, it is not a privacy issue for me, it is a power issue.

3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

If this thing uses GPS constantly count me out. The park can issue me a refund and we will just part ways and I will have to find new hobbies, I didn't agree to carrying a monster 1lb battery around with me all day.  The CP & KI apps drain any iPhone I have used at the parks at typical 100% GPS usage which means less than 3 hours run time.  I fully realize everyone else in the world is somehow able to use the apps and not have this issue.  However for the ride times to work "allows allow" has to be selected and it just doesn't work for out for me so I am constantly having dig into settings shutting app permissions on and off.  I have batteries up to 26000 but I don't want to carry that sucker around all day. If it wants to do a quick poll ever 15 minutes or so that is fine, it is not a privacy issue for me, it is a power issue.

But that is what the fee-based charging stations are for, sponsored by holovis:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Safari said that the website wasn’t secure, so I didn’t spend too much time there. But I noticed heat mapping and updating infrastructure to be required for implementation. Based solely on the site being unsecured, without research holovis, I wouldn’t trust this company. 
Has anyone ever used a map application using only WiFi and Bluetooth? You’d be amazed at how accurate it is. Sometimes more accurate than using cell network data. Especially in more densely populated areas. I truly believe Bluetooth tracking is how the tracing issue is going to be solved. Now to look into whoever holovis is is...

Okay. As an established theme park “immersive experience” designer, this company’s website should be secure. Geez. 

16 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I can see many water parks not opening this year since they usually have shorter seasons anyway. Plus not opening water park areas of other parks, like KI is that many fewer staffing and employees to hire, train, and pay and less areas to worry about restrictions and cleaning protocols for.

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The Columbus Zoo just furloughed their employees. Doesn't look like they'll be opening anytime soon.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=636089660274877&id=233166443900536

I actually think Zoo's WILL be opening soon. Might be outdoor attractions only, with stipulations, but yes.

• Like 1

The Columbus Zoo just furloughed their employees. Doesn't look like they'll be opening anytime soon.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=636089660274877&id=233166443900536

The article does say this though.
“The Zoo has been closed since March 16 due to this global pandemic, and while we are confident that we’ll reopen sometime this summer, we cannot predict when. With this uncertainty and budget pressures, we must take steps to be fiscally responsible and protect the long-term future of our institution,” said Columbus Zoo and Aquarium President/CEO Tom Stalf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, bjcolglazier said:

I actually think Zoo's WILL be opening soon. Might be outdoor attractions only, with stipulations, but yes.

Probably not here in Ohio though. DeWine doesn't seem to be in a rush to open up the economy like Florida and Georgia and Texas are. I think it'll be interesting to watch those states when they reopen to see what happens to determine what we should do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Probably not here in Ohio though. DeWine doesn't seem to be in a rush to open up the economy like Florida and Georgia and Texas are. I think it'll be interesting to watch those states when they reopen to see what happens to determine what we should do. 

The science is showing outdoor gatherings are far more safe than indoor events. I think once it gets hot here in the midwest you're going to see things change. FL,GA, and TX are already getting hot so it makes sense they are ahead of the game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What determines a park’s capacity?  Indoor venues always have sign posted and I believe that number is set by the local Fire Marshal but could be handled differently depending on local jurisdiction. Has KI ever hit “100% capacity”?  I assume it has never been over capacity as that would be a legal violation, right?  Has a Disney park ever hit or gone over capacity?  I have seen some photos of Disney where the midways look like Lallapalooza. 

So think about the busiest day you have ever been to KI.  For me it was a Saturday on a Columbus Day weekend a few years ago, it was insane.  There was still some room to move around though bumping into others was common.  Maybe it was only at 75% capacity? Idk.   I assume the park wasn’t over 100% so 50% capacity would be more than half that amount.  That would still be a fairly crowded day. 

11 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

What determines a park’s capacity?  Indoor venues always have sign posted and I believe that number is set by the local Fire Marshal but could be handled differently depending on local jurisdiction. Has KI ever hit “100% capacity”?  I assume it has never been over capacity as that would be a legal violation, right?  Has a Disney park ever hit or gone over capacity?  I have seen some photos of Disney where the midways look like Lallapalooza. 

So think about the busiest day you have ever been to KI.  For me it was a Saturday on a Columbus Day weekend a few years ago, it was insane.  There was still some room to move around though bumping into others was common.  Maybe it was only at 75% capacity? Idk.   I assume the park wasn’t over 100% so 50% capacity would be more than half that amount.  That would still be a fairly crowded day. 

Park capacity is right around 60-70,000. The average attendance on a normal weekday during the regular season is 22-25,000 with Saturdays being 30-35,000. Highest I saw the park attendance was 58,000 on Labor Day.

15 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Has KI ever hit “100% capacity”?

Yes! I can remember at least one night during Haunt when KI hit 100% capacity. I think it was 2017 on a Saturday night. Haunt Saturdays are usually the most crowded days of the season.

Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe Columbus Day weekend was when Cedar Point reached capacity and had to turn guests away and everyone blamed the gold passes lol. I could be wrong though. 

KI was very close to capacity that night, too. I don't think the park reached capacity during Haunt last season though.

2 minutes ago, Snowball said:

KI was very close to capacity that night, too. I don't think the park reached capacity during Haunt last season though.

I think I remember the park reached capacity in 2015, they actually stayed open an extra hour that night. And I do remember that night. I think I remember seeing 67,000 total guests. But that includes guests who left for the day already.