Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe I remember KI reached capacity that same day Cedar Point did lol. 

It wouldn't surprise me. I remember how crowded Zombie Mall was that night. Trying to move through the massive crowds all night to get good scares was very tiring.

So if one wants to read what is in the Governor's order and interpolate what that could mean for an amusement park, the big item is the requirement for an establishment to operate at under 50% capacity, plus comply with PPE for employees and social distancing measures for guests. 

Now who knows when and if the Governor will allow amusement parks to open, but if he does and doesn't lower the 50% capacity requirement, then based on numbers above, KI is pretty much in the clear to open at that point and not restrict attendance during the summer.  They will certainly be under 50% between people not coming out for their own fear of crowds, Soak City probably wouldn't open, and company outings and daily admissions probably seeing a decline.

The big question will be come Haunt time...in all likelihood the covid will be back in full force by that time, so it may be a moot point regarding Haunt and capping it's attendance as they may be forced to be closed regardless.

So the two big questions are when does the Governor allow it and can KI adhere to the PPE for employees requirement and keep guests in compliance with social distancing requirements?

And of course, even if they get 25,000 at the park, the experience will be different and we should all expect longer "waits" for rides to deal with social distancing.

At this point, capping capacity isn't going to be the issue for KI, it will be compliance with the PPE and social distancing requirements.

Certainly makes their decision a little easier to justify opening than the projections and analysis a month ago...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

So if one wants to read what is in the Governor's order and interpolate what that could mean for an amusement park, the big item is the requirement for an establishment to operate at under 50% capacity. 

Now who knows when and if the Governor will allow amusement parks to open, but if he does and doesn't lower the 50% capacity requirement, then based on numbers above, KI is pretty much in the clear to open at that point and not restrict attendance during the summer.  They will certainly be under 50% between people not coming out for their own fear of crowds, Soak City probably wouldn't open, and company outings and daily admissions probably seeing a decline.

The big question will be come Haunt time...in all likelihood the covid will be back in full force by that time, so it may be a moot point regarding Haunt and capping it's attendance as they may be forced to be closed regardless.

So the two big questions are when does the Governor allow it and can KI adhere to the PPE for employees requirement and keep guests in compliance with social distancing requirements?

And of course, even if they get 25,000 at the park, the experience will be different and we should all expect longer "waits" for rides to deal with social distancing.

At this point, capping capacity isn't going to be the issue for KI, it will be compliance with the PPE and social distancing requirements.

Certainly makes their decision a little easier to justify opening than the projections and analysis a month ago...

Closing the waterpark would reduce the overall maximum attendance of the park. Just keep that in mind. But in all reality, I doubt it would have an effect

Customers wearing masks is controversial and as it stands now they are not required by the state but business can require them of their customers.  Does KI require them or make them optional for customers?   If KI doesn’t require them and say 10k of the 25k people refuse to wear one does that 15k stick around or just go home and not come back?  If KI does require them do those very opposed to them get angry and go home or just comply?

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Customers wearing masks is controversial and as it stands now they are not required by the state but business can require them of their customers.  Does KI require them or make them optional for customers?   If KI doesn’t require them and say 10k of the 25k people refuse to wear one does that 15k stick around or just go home and not come back?  If KI does require them do those very opposed to them get angry and go home or just comply?

Even if everyone wears a mask, how do you keep one on while riding a rollercoaster? I imagine they'd fly off quite often.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snowball said:

Even if everyone wears a mask, how do you keep one on while riding a rollercoaster? I imagine they'd fly off quite often.

I would imagine so.  Is a mask a necessary medical device such that they would shut down the ride so and have the associates go retrieve it? If they are required what is the guest to do?  Buy one in the gift shop for $25 so they can stay?  Would that be considered a money grab?  

Yeah, if they were to require masks at first, I don't know if I see the requirement sticking around too long just because enforcing it would be a nightmare. Also, when it is hot and humid out, I've heard those things are miserable. Like we might see lots of guests pass out while wearing a mask in the hot and humid weather as well as see lots of masks flying off rides and people just quit coming and likely employees may start to quit just because they can't work in the hot and humid weather with a mask on. 

11 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yeah, if they were to require masks at first, I don't know if I see the requirement sticking around too long just because enforcing it would be a nightmare. Also, when it is hot and humid out, I've heard those things are miserable. Like we might see lots of guests pass out while wearing a mask in the hot and humid weather as well as see lots of masks flying off rides and people just quit coming and likely employees may start to quit just because they can't work in the hot and humid weather with a mask on. 

Staffing on a hot summer day, or even a cool day may get tough for some of the more labor intensive rides or other jobs wearing PPE.  First aid runs will increase.  Increased frequency of employee breaks will occur as well, probably resulting in more staff needed at rides too.

People do not realize how much Oxygen content is lost by wearing a mask for extended periods.  It can result in 20% reduced lung capacity or more.

This guy found out the hard way in an ideal setting -  https://6abc.com/n95-mask-car-crash-medical-ask-coronavirus-news/6129475/

44 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

likely employees may start to quit just because they can't work in the hot and humid weather with a mask on. 

That shouldn’t be a problem, migrant workers from Central America would love to have those jobs and they are used to the heat and tough conditions. KI could bring them up here in caravans.  

“Bienvenida de nuevo jinetes, ¿cómo fue tu viaje?”

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

[...] more labor intensive rides or other jobs wearing PPE.

I've definitely thought about this. Wearing a mask  in 90+ degree heat every day I'm working will not be fun. If I have to do it I'd rather do that than stay at home though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Snowball said:

I've definitely thought about this. Wearing a mask  in 90+ degree heat every day I'm working will not be fun. If I have to do it I'd rather do that than stay at home though.

Good your a tough one.  My 17yo isn’t.  I sat down with him last month to plan his summer, get a job bagging groceries and retrieving carts and probably have to wear a mask all day or take an online class through Columbus State.  He choose school.  :angry:

On 4/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, Snowball said:

KI was very close to capacity that night, too. I don't think the park reached capacity during Haunt last season though.

I think I was in Cavern that night. If so, I don't remember crowds being too bad all at once (probably because people move more cautiously in the darkness- I know I have!).

Also, the most crowded I have seen KI was Mystic Timbers preview night. My gosh, that was crazy, and I don't have a fear of large crowds...

Also, when I can go to the parks again, I will defieintly wear a mask if required. However, I did not know you lose oxygen when wearing a mask for long periods (quoting that article above); since I have lung issues already, I might just have to wait it out...

Finally, it may be smarter for Soak City not to open, at least not right away, until everything else is under control.

EDIT: If we are talking about the weekend prior to Columbus Day, then I would have been in Field (it was the weekend after that I was placed in Cavern for the night), and IIRC, we had LOGJAMS during our busiest times lol.

Spoiler

Being adjecent to the haybale room was my favorite spot, as I had so many scaring options!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

Maybe dad should join him! :P

(You know I’m only kidding you...but the irony was too good to pass up...spellcheck/autocorrect is not always your friend!)

I need reset my autocorrect as it has been doing some really funky stuff recently but that one is probably all on me.  Serves me right for staying up late every night.  :lol:

16 minutes ago, KIfan73 said:

Wonder if Cedar Fair will follow Disney's lead....Beast-themed masks, anyone?

Disney’s Cloth Face Masks

OMG They are going to make a killing off that Baby Yoda mask. If my wife sees this she will insist on one for every day of the week. If anyone tells her about it, I will send the virus sniffing bears after you. :P

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Joshua said:

Isn't that a good thing? 

Yes and no. More than anything he needs work experience especially in the soft skills department. Getting along with difficult coworkers and supervisors, handling the stress, stamina, owning up to mistakes, not lying or obfuscating the truth, getting fired for screwing up.  He is completely capable in any school subject but can slack off and dig himself a hole. He needs to learn what the real world consequences are for those poor decisions something more than just a bad grade.  

I didn’t push the issue becuase I also don’t need him bringing home the virus.  Home protocols would be difficult to manage especially with a service job with increased opportunity for exposure.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Here's an interesting article about the future of theme parks after this pandemic:

https://blooloop.com/thrill-seekers-covid-19-attractions-younger-demographic/

Since we don’t know how long the old and young demographics may opt to stay away from theme parks after COVID 19, I would think that capital planning and marketing for 2021 and even 2022 may want to shift a bit towards the thrill-seekers.

Marketing sure, but capital planning is more long term and I really question what is going to be available for big dollar thrill rides.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I will not be going if I have to wear a mask. That or loose it somewhere after I get in. 

49 minutes ago, jensenracing77 said:

I will not be going if I have to wear a mask. That or loose it somewhere after I get in. 

It would not thrill me either...but a small price to pay to have some fun. Think of it as an adventure...and something to look back on and tell stories about in the future.

If it does happen that everyone has to wear masks, it would be amusing to see the characters have them on for photo ops. (If they have them.)

Try and look on the bright side of life...cause life’s a piece of...when you look at it. (Eric Idle/Monty Python)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jensenracing77 said:

I'll apparently get the mask wearing in heat experience early. Return to work Monday and we will be issued face coverings and training that have to worn the whole time on site. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PatchesC said:

I'll apparently get the mask wearing in heat experience early. Return to work Monday and we will be issued face coverings and training that have to worn the whole time on site. 

Congrats on the call back!  Keep us posted about how it is working a shift with a mask on in heat!

• Like 2