Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

15 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

I'll apparently get the mask wearing in heat experience early. Return to work Monday and we will be issued face coverings and training that have to worn the whole time on site. 

I have REALLY bad allergies and also asthma. I have to wear a mask all the time in the summer when I mow grass. I am all to familiar with wearing masks in 90+ degree temperatures. I will wear a mask to do what I have to do. I am not wearing one to do what I don't have to do. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Cummins running CNC machines, we usually get up to 90 degrees in summer already, so should be interesting.

It may be time to start a separate thread dedicated to "mask survival", just tips and tricks people can share and a place for the community to bounce ideas around as people with have unique issues.  Sensory, comfort, dermatological, sourcing, mask care, style and fit, fogging glasses, things like that.  Leaving the more policy issues here.   We have HC workers on this site that offer advise from experience.  @malem @IndyGuy4KI  What do you think?

Fogging glasses is a big problem I have with ones that don't have a nose bridge.  It is better to address the issue with fit but one trick is to wash your glasses with soap but do not over rinse and let air dry.  A small soap residue is left behind that aids in fog formation.

My wife developed a bad hand rash from some non-latex gloves that would not go away the absolutely massive array of skin care products she has.  A 20 minute telehealth call with no co-pay and she had a script sent to the pharmacy.  She is in love with telehealth now. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That’s going to be a mess. One can’t do temperature checks, as asymptomatic carriers won’t be detected. This virus is like nothing we’ve ever seen before, so their plan needs to be more refined.

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/04/30/six-flags-rolls-out-plan-for-post-covid-19-new-normal/?fbclid=IwAR3P8WPLjr8FdJvCUF6wM_JEdF81vvXXsoo8vjBlvtMAS3Q93fT8Da1ybws

Six Flags has talked about their plan for reopening. It's behind a paywall so you have to really glance at it quickly. From what I was able to see there will be capped attendance, a limit on guests in queues and boarding rides, extra sanitation and temperature screening. I'll see if I can find another article about this that isn't behind a paywall. But I'm sure it will be on their official website soon.

4 minutes ago, Thabto said:

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/04/30/six-flags-rolls-out-plan-for-post-covid-19-new-normal/?fbclid=IwAR3P8WPLjr8FdJvCUF6wM_JEdF81vvXXsoo8vjBlvtMAS3Q93fT8Da1ybws

Six Flags has talked about their plan for reopening. It's behind a paywall so you have to really glance at it quickly. From what I was able to see there will be capped attendance, a limit on guests in queues and boarding rides, extra sanitation and temperature screening. I'll see if I can find another article about this that isn't behind a paywall. But I'm sure it will be on their official website soon.

As I said earlier, temperature checks won’t work, as they can’t ID asymptomatic individuals.

1 minute ago, gforce1994 said:

As I said earlier, temperature checks won’t work, as they can’t ID asymptomatic individuals.

You are correct, but this has moved into a phase where governments are thinking less about people getting sick, and more about making sure hospitals can keep up with demand. If cases grow but the ICU's are not overwhelmed, nobody cares...so to speak. That's why the reigns are being loosened. Virus is moving so fast we're going to be real close to herd immunity by the time they figure out a vaccine IMO. And as you mention---we have no idea how many have it, but aren't even sick!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thabto said:

This one had a paywall but if I googled the same article it didn't have a paywall.

1 minute ago, bjcolglazier said:

You are correct, but this has moved into a phase where governments are thinking less about people getting sick, and more about making sure hospitals can keep up with demand. If cases grow but the ICU's are not overwhelmed, nobody cares...so to speak. That's why the reigns are being loosened. Virus is moving so fast we're going to be real close to herd immunity by the time they figure out a vaccine IMO. And as you mention---we have no idea how many have it, but aren't even sick!

There’s no immunity to it, there have been numerous cases of people being reinfected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Well in that case Kings Island will never re-open, and you should find another forum to troll.

I’m not trolling. I’m being serious, since there were some reports out of SK of reinfection. Until they come out with a peer-reviewed medical journal showing properties of this new coronavirus, nothing can be assumed.

• Like 1

Just now, gforce1994 said:

I’m not trolling. I’m being serious, since there were some reports out of SK of reinfection. Until they come out with a peer-reviewed medical journal showing properties of this new coronavirus, nothing can be assumed.

Most likely bad first tests or rare cases, but I digress. If there is no immunity to be found...will the park ever re-open?

• Like 1

Just now, bjcolglazier said:

Most likely bad first tests or rare cases, but I digress. If there is no immunity to be found...will the park ever re-open?

Here’s the thing, there will likely be no large groups of people until vaccines can be tested, proven to be effective on nearly all of the population, distributed, and administered.

Now, a park can administer safeguards (COVID-19 tests, social distancing, constant cleaning, limited capacity for rides, mobile ordering, no or limited shows, etc). At what point does this hinder the in-park experience in the mind of the guest? Furthermore, is it sustainable profit wise?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gforce1994 said:

Here’s the thing, there will likely be no large groups of people until vaccines can be tested, proven to be effective on nearly all of the population, distributed, and administered.

Now, a park can administer safeguards (COVID-19 tests, social distancing, constant cleaning, limited capacity for rides, mobile ordering, no or limited shows, etc). At what point does this hinder the in-park experience in the mind of the guest? Furthermore, is it sustainable profit wise?

Interesting. It sorta sounds like you now think the human body can indeed build up an immune response. Personally, I think testing of all kinds is key. Antibody testing is being done because scientists are pretty sure if you have antibodies you are okay. Testing will provide scope of spread, death-rates, and so on. And potentially allow people to relax and enjoy...all kinds of things. Unfortunately we do not have that data tonight. Hope we do soon!

• Like 4

And how exactly will ride operations if they keep the 6' of separation between the operators and the guest?  How are the restraints and seat belts checked?  

I am sorry, but some of these measures are a little extreme (not talking about Six Flags).  I had a cousin unexpectedly pass away on Saturday from complications of a chronic illness (he had been ill long before this Virus was around).  His funeral mass at a church that can hold 1,000 people is limited to just ten people.  The church is big enough that 100 people could be inside of it, and still maintain the social distance requirements.  

Having two small kids, I am all for stopping the spread of this virus.  But I firmly believe that the number of asymptomatic people who have this virus is a rather high.  This in turn would lower the death rates of this disease.  Yes, it is terrible the amount of deaths that have been caused by this.  But at a certain point the quarantine and its effects on the economy are worse than the actual disease.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Could those who have been reinfected may have never fully recovered in the first place? Maybe they were taking some kind of treatment but when it stopped, it reactivated the virus and they got sick again. Kind of like when you are taking antibiotics for something like a sinus infection, you think you feel better so you stop taking your antibiotics before instructed to and the infection flares up again. Or were they immunocompromised or had other underlying conditions that made reinfection possible? Maybe they caught a different strain? Or one of the cases was just an assumed case? There's lots of info that we don't know and probably won't for a long time. Until we can test the entire population, the numbers of cases will not be accurate. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

And how exactly will ride operations if they keep the 6' of separation between the operators and the guest?  How are the restraints and seat belts checked?  

I am sorry, but some of these measures are a little extreme (not talking about Six Flags).  I had a cousin unexpectedly pass away on Saturday from complications of a chronic illness (he had been ill long before this Virus was around).  His funeral mass at a church that can hold 1,000 people is limited to just ten people.  The church is big enough that 100 people could be inside of it, and still maintain the social distance requirements.  

Having two small kids, I am all for stopping the spread of this virus.  But I firmly believe that the number of asymptomatic people who have this virus is a rather high.  This in turn would lower the death rates of this disease.  Yes, it is terrible the amount of deaths that have been caused by this.  But at a certain point the quarantine and its effects on the economy are worse than the actual disease.

So sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you and your family

• Like 3

The Indy 500 has been rescheduled for August 23rd. Just the other day Indiana governor Holcomb absolutely refused to rule it out, whilst at the same time admitting Indiana is going to see new Covid-19 cases in all the foreseeable months ahead. He also said something to the effect of if you're over-60 with pre-existing conditions you might not want to attend the Indy 500 this year. It also might yet be shut down.   

I think this is the example of good governorship. People are going to get sick going forward---good God we all know that---but hopefully few die. And people are going to have to make their own decisions about what group gatherings they choose to attend, understanding the risks.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

And people are going to have to make their own decisions about what group gatherings they choose to attend, understanding the risks.

Scientists, statisticians, MDs, politicians etc. will have to make decisions about what group gatherings are allowed to exist that those individuals can then make their decisions about attending. The risks are not just to the individual attending but everyone those individuals come into contact with after such event, be it a retail environment, them park swimming pool, concert, their job such as a health care or a educator. 

I like you BJ but sorry if I do not trust your judgement to exclusively to determine acceptable risk for everyone you come into contact with and then who they come in contact with, etc.  This entire situation is not about an individual conducting their their own individual risk assessment.  This is about public health which is much more complex.  

Flattening the curve is imprecise.  The goal is to never overwhelm the HC system, in order to do that the brakes have to be applied enough to make sure we don’t cross that line, of course the ride computer will undershoot that line every time resulting in a less than optimal ride, but ensuring the train makes it back to the station. You seem to argue it is OK if we do cross that line. To bad so sad to those on that train. 

• Like 1

GeForce, your fatalistic viewpoint is inflexible. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so try to be open to other viewpoints.

The cleaning that they talk about is only going to be effective if you are in line after it's been cleaned and the kill time per label has been observed. So unless they have someone literally cleaning surfaces and the customers not touching those surfaces, any exposure is going to happen. Random cleanings will not do much. Sort of like cleaning toilets. The attendant does his job and if your next in line, you're lucky. You got a clean toilet! But if the next guy pees all over the seat and you go to sit down after him, your out of luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 5

It's now May. Hopefully hopefully hopefully (fingers crossed tightly) that this is the last month of not being able to visit the park. 
I hope that, as we socially distance in the parking lot, we will see some smoke billowing out of a stack of the International Restaurant. That will be the sign a decision has been made. (Satire of the selection of a new Pope).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1