Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

4 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

There is no way to guarantee that ever.  Secondly, anyone at this point who walks into the park is taking a risk of possible exposure. Either you take the risk or you don't. To me it is no different than the warning signs before you get into the ride queue, but now that sign resides at your front door as you walk out. 

They have to make it as safe as possible then. Masks, procedures, testing, and other requirements need to be in place. In fact, if they’re not, you might have people catching the Coronavirus who didn’t even visit the park. Someone might pick it up at a grocery store, and later pass away, because some place didn’t protect against transmission in a particular way.

Thats what happened in many of the parks in Japan as well. Apparently there were transmissions occurring at the park, where those people passed it to people who weren’t even at the park. Many of these parks have not reopened.

Hand sanitizer and lysol kill 99.9% of germs, not 100% Like mentioned by others, there is no guarantee that things will be 100% safe. 

The only way the park would ever be 100% safe of disease would be to never open again ever. People can get sick at KI regardless if there's a pandemic or not. Everything comes with a risk, how big of a risk is the debate that'll decide what opens and when.

• Like 8

They have to make it as safe as possible then. Masks, procedures, testing, and other requirements need to be in place. In fact, if they’re not, you might have people catching the Coronavirus who didn’t even visit the park. Someone might pick it up at a grocery store, and later pass away, because some place didn’t protect against transmission in a particular way.
Thats what happened in many of the parks in Japan as well. Apparently there were transmissions occurring at the park, where those people passed it to people who weren’t even at the park. Many of these parks have not reopened.
So, according to your logic nobody should ever leave their house again, thereby dying of starvation, infection, heart attacks etc. You can do everything you can do to provide an environment to promote a safer environment, but nothing is 100%!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Hand sanitizer and lysol kill 99.9% of germs, not 100% Like mentioned above, there is no guarantee that things will be 100% safe. 

The only way the park would ever be 100% safe of disease would be to never open again ever. Everything comes with risk, how big of a risk is the debate that'll decode what opens and when.

I know that the Lysol removal of viruses on surfaces is highly effective, and I can’t argue with a rare one off case of transmission.

What I have concern about it not providing masks to guests. With this virus, everyone needs to wear a mask to limit transmission, or else everyone will be at significant risk of catching the Coronavirus.

The issue with the masks and testing are most critical, as if it is not done properly, there will be a localized outbreak.

26 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

There’s quick tests for asymptomatic and visible carriers that can be done in 30 min.

Well, the park is going to have to be 100% safe if it reopens up, they can’t allow the virus to be transmitted at all at the parks. Here’s the thing, if they do not do the COVID-19 precautions properly, people will die, and worst case scenario is having a city-wide or multi-state outbreak being linked to the park. 

Those tests still have to be done in a clinical setting by qualified medical professionals.

• Like 2

And now we are back to masks. N95 masks are the standard, they are expensive, in short supply, uncomfortable and most importantly...YOU HAVE TO BE FIT TESTED!!!!!!! Cloth masks and non N95 masks at best, contain saliva and sputumn inside the mask. They do not prevent anything the size of a virus from entering or leaving the mask. Like water through a window screen, the virus will get through.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

They have to make it as safe as possible then. Masks, procedures, testing, and other requirements need to be in place.

I am not sure your exceptions are going to be met on what the parks are going to do.

Companies and parks can only do so much to help reduce any possible spread. They can't control what germs walk into the gates. Everyone is taking a risk by walking in their doors.

• Like 8

I'm often curious of the compulsion some people have to always be right about everything, to not sit back and think to oneself "hey I don't always need to chime in and feel like what I'm saying is right." I suggest a solution to this compulsion: sit back, take a breath, and tell yourself "I don't always need to feel like I'm right. I don't have to always chime in. Maybe people don't agree with me for a reason." Its not hard to do, heck I do it myself from time to time and I feel like its made me a better person.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am not sure your exceptions are going to be met on what the parks are going to do.

Companies and parks can only do so much to help reduce any possible spread. They can't control what germs walk into the gates. Everyone is taking a risk by walking in their doors.

That’s true, however there are certain procedures that can be done by attractions to limit the spread, and I’ve seen none of those procedures pop up in proposed plans.

In 2009 the H1N1 impacted many amusement park’s season by reducing attendance during the tail end of the Halloween season. Many parks were able regain their pre-virus attendance figures the following season, after widespread vaccinations.

This case is different for parks, as this virus struck in the preseason, rather than the end of the season as seen in 09. It will be interesting to see what precautions will be taken.

Of course parks would be opening when the virus is on the downswing, but we’ve seen states start their reopening plans while the number of cases are still increasing.

Coronavirus tests are expensive and the rapid ones are low volume from what I read. My SIL was taken to the ER two weeks ago, stabilized and sent home with  probable Covid-19 diagnosis but did not make the cutoff for a test. They are still in short supply and it is going to take a long time before the system is ramped up. plus they are expensive.  I really don’t think testing at parks is feasible in the near future. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Testing at parks with the appropriate professionals is a good idea, if you want to test masses of people. But even with rapid point of care testing, it's not feasible as a condition of admission.

They need to ramp up production of testing and labs and just get it done for 350 million people. A week after that, this nightmare could well be on its way to being over and everyone could have their plastic souvenir drink cups and salivate on the coasters.

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is this virus appears to be way less deadly than everyone thought (myself and experts included), yet it continues to be sensationalized.  They are fudging death rates by calling it a corona death no matter how you die, as long you test positive.  This means if you are positive and die in a car crash it is a corona death.  That said, yes precautions should be taken but it sure seems time to allow people to decide for themselves if the risk of going out is worth it.  If you have a condition that makes you more susceptible, quarantine yourself and stay safe. Otherwise, I see no justification for the fear mongering and authoritarianism.  Life has to go on and the virus has to eventually run its course.  We can not wait a year for a vaccine.  My two cents, live your life the way you see fit and you will receive no criticism from me, just do not impose your choices on me (outside of common sense precautions).

• Like 10

Well, look on the bright side everyone. Ohio is beginning to re-open (slowly, which for the most part is good). And I personally think that Kings Island will open sometime in June. 

Noticing the discussion, nothing is 100% safe, especially in amusement parks. Kings Island does a fantastic job of keeping riders safe and up keeping the rides themselves. There hasn't been a major accident at the park since 2009. Going on 11 years without major complications. That's good. But this doesn't mean that you couldn't get hurt. If you look at the ride safety signs, the fine print specifically says that when you enter a ride, you assume the risks that come with it. There is that possibility that something goes wrong and you could get hurt. But luckily incidents like that aren't very commonplace (to my knowledge).

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

But even with rapid point of care testing, it's not feasible as a condition of admission.

Why?  I don’t disagree, just wonder if it beyond the optimistic half hour waiting for results and what you do with the masses while they wait.  I guess you could send them back out to the car. Testing 10-30k people seems like a huge undertaking.

Why?  I don’t disagree, just wonder if it beyond the optimistic half hour waiting for results and what you do with the masses while they wait.  I guess you could send them back out to the car. Testing 10-30k people seems like a huge undertaking.
Because, as you said, it would slow down admit time. People being people, fights would break out. What if the 4 year old has to potty? It would be a great place logistically to get test subjects, but practically, even the POC test isn't feasible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

If they aren’t done, there’s no other alternative to ensure that nobody with COVID-19 is inside the park.

If you think Kings Island cannot open without "ensuring nobody with Covid-19 is inside the park", you are terribly out of touch with reality. No business that's already been open this whole time can ensure nobody with Covid-19 is inside. And guess what---more things are about to be open. All kinds of things. Restaurants are opening, movie theaters are allowed to open soon...not a one of them are making sure Covid-19 isn't in the building! For one, it'd be impossible for every business to ensure it. For two, most of America doesn't want to take a test just to watch a movie or have a meal. Or dare I say...stand in line to ride a roller coaster.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine they would try to do what other places (not amusement parks) are doing. Temperature checks before and after shifts, required face masks for employees, gloves and other necessary PPE, things like that. It is extremely hard to slow the spread of a virus, but you can take steps to slow it and reduce the risk of infection.

Thinking about it, there are two things that the park could do. One, they could install ionizers in indoor locations like the buildings on IS, Boo Blasters, FoF, Coney BBQ, you get the idea. The second thing they could do is use UV lights to quickly disinfect areas like lap bars and seat belts and railings, things along those lines.

• Like 2

Like any business it'll be critical to keep their employees safe. And I don't know what we'll see with rides by the time they do open which I still think will be July, but I'm guessing workers in masks, rides wiped down after each cycle, and hand sanitizer passed out to guests like candy. Can they move Festhaus eatery and entertainment to Timberwolf somehow? It'd be much safer for people to eat and enjoy the entertainment outside, than in the Festhaus.

8 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I would imagine they would try to do what other places (not amusement parks) are doing. Temperature checks before and after shifts, required face masks for employees, gloves and other necessary PPE, things like that. It is extremely hard to slow the spread of a virus, but you can take steps to slow it and reduce the risk of infection.

Thinking about it, there are two things that the park could do. One, they could install ionizers in indoor locations like the buildings on IS, Boo Blasters, FoF, Coney BBQ, you get the idea. The second thing they could do is use UV lights to quickly disinfect areas like lap bars and seat belts and railings, things along those lines.

Since they also have dorms for some employees, how could they best keep workers from infecting each other if asymptomatic? House employees that work the same areas they risk a whole ride or store needing closed due to manpower. But dispersed they could spread to multiple areas. It's going to be tough either way.

19 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Like any business it'll be critical to keep their employees safe. And I don't know what we'll see with rides by the time they do open which I still think will be July, but I'm guessing workers in masks, rides wiped down after each cycle, and hand sanitizer passed out to guests like candy. Can they move Festhaus eatery and entertainment to Timberwolf somehow? It'd be much safer for people to eat and enjoy the entertainment outside, than in the Festhaus.

Would they bring in food trucks to timberwolf for eating? Or would timberwolf just be for entertainment? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

That could work. I just want the places to be as safe as possible, when they reopen. That being said. The UV lights could be a very practical solution.

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Would they bring in food trucks to timberwolf for eating? Or would timberwolf just be for entertainment? 

Yeah, I don't know. I'm sure this has to be on their list of things to think about though. They could still cook the food inside Festhaus, and have employees bring it out--as in outside---to a more distanced "line" for customers? And then on to Timber to eat and watch? Not sure.

1 hour ago, PatchesC said:

Since they also have dorms for some employees, how could they best keep workers from infecting each other if asymptomatic? House employees that work the same areas they risk a whole ride or store needing closed due to manpower. But dispersed they could spread to multiple areas. It's going to be tough either way.

I am admittedly completely uninformed on the dorms at Kings Island, and if they will even open if the park does this year. I'm guessing maybe not with a shortened season assuming we're lucky enough to even have a shortened season? 

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

And what do you do on a beautiful hot, sunny day...and then a thunderstorm rolls in? Pack the Festhaus? Ummm...

*Edit*  I think you send people to their cars. 

Even with all the vehicles skipping spaces can you imagine how icky the lot would smell with all the engines running for the AC?  Yuk.  

Nice graphic I found on why people should wear masks.  It was only 73F and I went to Costco my homemade mask was very moist after about 45 minutes in the store. Going to need a a big supply to make it through a day at the park in July.  

4BF05924-4989-4252-B388-2453A08C680B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3