Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

And what do you do on a beautiful hot, sunny day...and then a thunderstorm rolls in? Pack the Festhaus? Ummm...

*Edit*  I think you send people to their cars. 

They do this at Michigan Stadium. Weirdest thunderstorm policy I’ve ever seen.

6 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Even with all the vehicles skipping spaces can you imagine how icky the lot would smell with all the engines running for the AC?  Yuk.  

Nice graphic I found on why people should wear masks.  It was only 73F and I went to Costco my homemade mask was very moist after about 45 minutes in the store. Going to need a a big supply to make it through a day at the park in July.  

4BF05924-4989-4252-B388-2453A08C680B.jpeg

I won't go to the park if masks are required. That's not because I'm a jerk---already covered that ground here---but I just can't do it. I have done it in the stores, but it's simply playing nice, trying to appear to be playing the game. I touch my mask when it moves up and blocks my vision, and I just take it off and throw it on the dash soon as I'm out of there. Then put it back on next time. Ugh.

What the graphic that @King Ding Dong posted fails to show is that a virus is very very small.  So if I am carrying the virus, a cloth mask or a standard mask will only filter out large items like saliva or mucus.  If I sneeze inside my mask, the mucus might be contained, but viri (is that the plural of viris?) will pass right thru that mask.  You are helping somewhat by keeping your body fluids contained, but you are still shedding the virus.  If KDD does not have the virus and I sneeze, those viri that I just hurled out of my respiratory system are now outside and when he inspires, he takes a chance on inhaling them because the mask does not filter them out.  

• Like 2

Correct me if I am wrong @BeeastFarmer but even if you had a N95 on and sneezed or coughed hard a significant amount would escape out the sides.  Not traveling far but still lingering in the air for 3 minutes or so. If I am walking down a Midway that spot where I coughed is contaminated for a few minutes (assuming still air).

These are my predictions for what Cedar Fair will implement across its parks once they reopen (these predictions are also heavily influenced by Six Flags’ confirmed measures):

- Sanitation of benches, railings, tables, trains, etc. frequently throughout the day (they could possibly have park sweepers go around with disinfectant instead during their regular shifts)

- At all food and merchandise locations there will be plexiglass partitions between the employees checking out and customers (Cedar Fair has already purchased these)

- Rides will be limited in capacity, making sure guests have enough space between other riders (6 feet minimum)

- Lines painted in queue lines to ensure social distancing and the introduction of some virtual queue lines (likely for Orion and other popular rides)

- Park capacity will be reduced significantly below 50%

- This last one is speculation, but I think all employees will be required to wear face make, and guests will be either required to or STRONGLY recommended to wear face masks

For the last one (I know it is highly controversial and all guests may not want to comply) here is why:

- Cedar Fair will want to protect its employees as much as possible and make guests feel as safe as possible around employees

- How are employees supposed to check restraints standing 6 feet apart... they just can’t (while masks don’t replace social distancing, they will certainly help, but I still don’t know how the park is going to handle checking restraints)

- It will look bad if people get Coronavirus at the park and the news blames the park for not doing more to protect its visitors (like requiring masks)

- Cedar Fair has already purchased large orders of masks for use in its parks (they did this to USE them in their parks)

- Last but not least, masks really do help somewhat to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, so why not? Cedar Fair can require guests to wear masks, and if guests do not comply, they have the right to kick them out. I could see Cedar Fair parks providing guests with free masks like Whole Foods is doing.

In my honest opinion, I think Cedar Fair will strongly recommend masks to guests and provide them with optional masks (guests will not have to wear masks if they chose not to), but I still think employees will be required to wear masks. I think this policy on face masks will satisfy the most guests.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Correct me if I am wrong @BeeastFarmer but even if you had a N95 on and sneezed or coughed hard a significant amount would escape out the sides.  Not traveling far but still lingering in the air for 3 minutes or so. If I am walking down a Midway that spot where I coughed is contaminated for a few minutes (assuming still air).

Outside is safer. And the suns UV-rays might cut down on the "few minutes". But yes, if you go the grocery or the Midway, you might get Covid-19. If you stay home for the next ~2-years you won't. I now presume you have the data you need to decide if you will or won't attend Kings Island, or go to the store. Now if we can just inform the public of the same. *most people already know this*

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

These are my predictions for what Cedar Fair will implement across its parks once they reopen (these predictions are also heavily influenced by Six Flags’ confirmed measures):

Some good stuff here, but I don't think ride nor park capacity will be limited. Some guests will wear masks, most will not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

This means if you are positive and die in a car crash it is a corona death. 

I have also heard this comment thrown around at my workplace a few times.but I have never been able to find it backed up on any reputable website...can anyone point me to one? The only site that I COULD find that mentions the car accident death count theory rebukes it:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/social-media-posts-make-baseless-claim-on-covid-19-death-toll/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Some good stuff here, but I don't think ride nor park capacity will be limited. Some guests will wear masks, most will not. 

I see many guests picking up a mask when they first arrive at the park, but I also see them taking their masks off later because they will get very hot! LOL!

• Like 2

Staying home is not going to prevent me from getting it as I live with three people, and schools will likely start back up sometime within 2 years, maybe even this fall.  It is all about taking reasonable steps to lessen the likelihood of contracting it until the healthcare system can reasonably take me in if needed.  There is much less chance for infection from a trip to the store with maybe a few hundred people in it, that spending the whole day at the park getting in and out of rides. A shopping cart does help with some distancing, maybe a stroller and doll would help at the park.  :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I think attendance will be limited like with what Six Flags is doing, but I don’t ever see them enforcing limits due to their likely being lower attendance anyways. For the ride capacity, I could definitely see them axing their policy of “single riders will be paired” for the foreseeable future because nobody is going to want to sit inches apart from someone else during a pandemic. I am also not sure to what extent they will limit ride capacity by taking out rows and seats, but that will be interesting to watch.

2 minutes ago, standbyme said:

I have also heard this comment thrown around at my workplace a few times.but I have never been able to find it backed up on any reputable website...can anyone point me to one? The only site that I COULD find that mentions the car accident death count theory rebukes it:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/social-media-posts-make-baseless-claim-on-covid-19-death-toll/

https://wmbriggs.com/post/30429/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/factcheck/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/ar-BB130qmW

If you are stage-4 cancer, and you get Covid-19, and die...it's a Covid-19 death. By the numbers. This is CDC and World Health Org guidance. Car crash, no. Practically everything else, yes. 90-years-old with pneumonia and you test positive for Covid-19...add it to covid-19 death toll. Hospitals are being paid more via Medicare for Covid-19 deaths. So one could argue they have incentive.

Correct me if I am wrong [mention=9652]BeeastFarmer[/mention] but even if you had a N95 on and sneezed or coughed hard a significant amount would escape out the sides.  Not traveling far but still lingering in the air for 3 minutes or so. If I am walking down a Midway that spot where I coughed is contaminated for a few minutes (assuming still air).
Exactly. N95s are to protect the wearer. And they must be fit tested!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

- This last one is speculation, but I think all employees will be required to wear face make, and guests will be either required to or STRONGLY recommended to wear face masks

I don’t even know what this means. They already strongly recommend not smoking in the Midway and line cutting but people still do it and the park just shrugs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

It is all about taking reasonable steps to lessen the likelihood of contracting it until the healthcare system can reasonably take me in if needed.

If you're worried about getting Covid-19 at Kings Island...don't go to Kings Island. Do you also have to make my decisions about going to Kings Island for me?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

I don’t even know what this means. They already strongly recommend not smoking in the Midway and line cutting but people still do it and the park just shrugs.

Strongly recommending is not requiring. Whether people listen or not to their requests is not up to them and cannot be controlled by them. Some people will wear masks, others will opt not to. It is optional unlike smoking in the midways and line cutting which are against park policy. I still think they would recommend masks over requiring masks.

4 minutes ago, bengalsguy23 said:

hmmm interesting. I imagine they purchased those masks to supply to their employees once they do open.

I agree! The orders of partitions and make are most likely to protect employees first and foremost. I would also not be surprised if less older employees are working this season that past seasons for their own health concerns.

Except in hotspots, hospitals are prepared for a surge. Ours magically made 700 beds appear and the maximum number of covid patients at one time was ten.

And I've heard of hospice patients having covid 19 as the COD. Its not stretch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

If you're worried about getting Covid-19 at Kings Island...don't go to Kings Island. Do you also have to make my decisions about going to Kings Island for me?

Wouldn’t dream of trying. I may be a king but it is largely a ceremonial role, my powers are very limited.  Far more wealthy and powerful people will make that decision for you.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

Wouldn’t dream of trying. I may be a king but it is largely a ceremonial role, my powers are very limited.  Far more wealthy and powerful people will make that decision for you.  

Indeed they will. And I promise you they want my money. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

...This last one is speculation, but I think all employees will be required to wear face mask...

- How are employees supposed to check restraints standing 6 feet apart... they just can’t (while masks don’t replace social distancing, they will certainly help, but I still don’t know how the park is going to handle checking restraints)

- Last but not least, masks really do help somewhat to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, so why not? Cedar Fair can require guests to wear masks, and if guests do not comply, they have the right to kick them out. I could see Cedar Fair parks providing guests with free masks like Whole Foods is doing.

In my honest opinion, I think Cedar Fair will strongly recommend masks to guests and provide them with optional masks (guests will not have to wear masks if they chose not to), but I still think employees will be required to wear masks. I think this policy on face masks will satisfy the most guests.

Under the current Order, employees are required to wear masks...

Regarding restraints, they could make that contactless and that is a possibility for many of the rides.  The reality is because of the lawsuit crazy society we live in is part of the reasons for these restraint checks.  It is posted and should be the rider's responsibility to know the rules and guidelines of the ride and obey them. I know the lapbar came down the required amount and that my seatbelt is secure and having a speed check by an employee doesn't make me feel any safer.  Yet I witness on almost every trip a rider that thought the seatbelt was optional on one of the rides I am in line with, thus slowing the process down.

I don't know this for a fact for every ride and I am sure there are exceptions, but I know most of the newer roller coasters cannot dispatch if the lap bar/restraint is not secured, so the employee speed check is more for checklist and liability reasons and redundancy than anything else. Now I do realize that none of the seatbelts have this feature, so they are checking that.

I get into my vehicle and strap my seatbelt on and never has anyone done a pull on it to insure that I secured it properly, yet statistically, one is more likely to be injured or die in an automobile accident than an amusement park ride accident...

• Like 2