Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 hour ago, amapan said:

I live in Indiana an have been trying to keep my daily 2:30 “date” with Governor Holcomb and Dr. Box.  What I think has been missed by many discussing on this thread is that strict new rules in regards to capacity and distancing must be in place for businesses to reopen.  The governor and doctor also mention that the plans could change at any second depending on models and data of new cases, hospitalizations, vent capacity, and spread.  Where I live, people haven’t been paying much attention to stay at home measures and are traveling WAY more than BEFORE some orders were put in place.  I read an article in Forbes confirming my hypothesis stating a 30% increase in vehicular and pedestrian traffic over what it was 3 weeks ago.  If you would like me to locate this article and link it, I would be happy to. Why not try to reopen some things if citizens are behaving like caged tigers or ignoring the orders put in place for public health and safety?  These orders don’t go into effect until Monday.  I went out for a taco run today around noon and noticed the volume of traffic was quite a bit less than the last time I was out before the new plan was announced by the governor. The Greenwood Park mall is going to open on Monday so that will be fun to watch.  

Increase in traffic doesn’t necessarily mean going out. You can’t hurt anyone by driving virus wise, so the uptik is probably people going for drives just to get out of the house. Farmland is prettier than nothing ;)  

if stores reported how many are actually showing up to shop for food etc would give better picture but at least where I’m at there’s been a pretty good size staying home. Especially since they’ve had uptiks in speeding 100+mph. 
it’s hard to tell with out precise data.

33 minutes ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

Especially since they’ve had uptiks in speeding 100+mph. 

We've had 1 confirmed arson and 2 more "suspicious" fires in homes or buildings without power over 4 days in town. It's surprising the person hasn't been caught yet. 

11 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Great, now we have murder hornets invading the US... would hate to get hit by one of these suckers on TTD! 

Ironically they showed up the same time as covid?

image.png

Why does that remind me of Fury325:P

There less angry :D

20200503_184348.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Costco has updated its policies regarding Coronavirus.  All guests are now required to wear a facial covering as well as some other changes.  Exceptions for under 2 and medical conditions.  
https://www.costco.com/covid-updates.html

Those Asian hornets kill about 50 a year in Japan. 

I have noticed more people and less social distancing at my Costco in the past week just as this article pointed out.   Will see if they really enforce the wearing the mask request when they are not even enforcing the social distancing in my store especially at the checkouts.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/costco-workers-coronavirus-social-distancing-measures

12 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

I have noticed more people and less social distancing at my Costco in the past week just as this article pointed out.   Will see if they really enforce the wearing the mask request when they are not even enforcing the social distancing in my store especially at the checkouts.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/costco-workers-coronavirus-social-distancing-measures

Menards (if ya'll have those where you live) won't let you in without a mask. You're met by a bouncer that either lets you in, or sends you over to another line to buy a mask for $1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:
4 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I do see American hornets, wasps, and other bees kill an average of 62 people per year in USA...

Only 62?  With the number of people who are severely allergic to bee stings this statistic is surprising. good news!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, amapan said:

Only 62?  With the number of people who are severely allergic to bee stings this statistic is surprising. good news!

Only about 200 max (on average) die from food allergies in a year in the USA. And that includes peanut allergies. Where I work the entire workplace has been re-thought due to peanut allergies. We don't do much of anything about the yearly flu that kills 10's of thousands. But peanut folks...bending over backwards for them. Just providing information.

9 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

Only about 200 max (on average) die from food allergies in a year in the USA. And that includes peanut allergies. Where I work the entire workplace has been re-thought due to peanut allergies. We don't do much of anything about the yearly flu that kills 10's of thousands. But peanut folks...bending over backwards for them. Just providing information.

Let's not forget about MVC's, murder, cancer of all kind, heart disease of all kind, Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, choking, drowning, fires and carbon monoxide poisioning.

Somehow when something is new comes along and causes death and destruction, the old things that cause death and destruction aren't as important.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Let's not forget about MVC's, murder, cancer of all kind, heart disease of all kind, Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, choking, drowning, fires and carbon monoxide poisioning.

Somehow when something is new comes along and causes death and destruction, the old things that cause death and destruction aren't as important.

I'm a T1 diabetic. The cause of my death would be from consistently eating sugar and my body not being able to process it, not taking my insulin (i.e. not taking the recommended precautions to keep myself safe...), or one of the associated illness related to it, such as heart disease. Now granted, you could argue that you shouldn't take sugar away from everyone to keep a few of us safe, but this is different. In my case, I can't just contract sugar from someone in public. (Although, I am more susceptible to COVID-19, and so are those with heart disease.)

With many of the things listed, there is something you do to save yourself. With diabetes, it's managing your blood sugar. For fires, it's following code to prevent it and getting out of the building when there is one. You don't run back into a burning building because that's your freedom and people die every day...

• Like 3

This is interesting. On the park hours page of every Six Flags park website, this notice has been posted:

IMPORTANT: ALL VISITORS (INCLUDING PASS HOLDERS AND MEMBERS) MUST MAKE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS TO VISIT THE PARK. To meet state social distancing guidelines and ensure the health and safety of our guests, all visits to the park must be pre-scheduled using our online reservation system. Check back here for details.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/plan-your-visit/park-operating-schedule

• Thanks 1

Interesting, I wonder what's to stop people from reserving a spot and then just not showing up for said spot. Or maybe reserve a whole month at a time. They would likely let people reserve a couple of days in the park to allow for people making overnight or multi-day trips, but what's the limit? Definitely be interesting to watch for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

Interesting, I wonder what's to stop people from reserving a spot and then just not showing up for said spot. Or maybe reserve a whole month at a time. They would likely let people reserve a couple of days in the park to allow for people making overnight or multi-day trips, but what's the limit? Definitely be interesting to watch for.

Hopefully it's multiple days, we do Friday-Sunday visits due to distance. Wouldn't be worth 1 day for us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Reservations seem like the only viable way to limit capacity however people abusing and gaming the system will also be an issue.   Jammed reservation pages when a date goes live, guests making excessive reservations.  

It'll be interesting to see if CF does anything like this. I'm not aware of any Six Flags owned hotels, but obviously CF has some as well as Disney. If they require a reservation for park entrance they risk losing bookings unless those people are granted automatic entry. 

• Like 1

I'm guessing the penalty will be similar to anyone with a Diamond or Diamond Elite membership and has to reserve preferred parking. If you reserve it, and don't cancel up to the day before your visit and then don't show up, you lose preferred parking privileges for 30 days.

4 hours ago, Joshua said:

I'm a T1 diabetic. The cause of my death would be from consistently eating sugar and my body not being able to process it, not taking my insulin (i.e. not taking the recommended precautions to keep myself safe...), or one of the associated illness related to it, such as heart disease. Now granted, you could argue that you shouldn't take sugar away from everyone to keep a few of us safe, but this is different. In my case, I can't just contract sugar from someone in public. (Although, I am more susceptible to COVID-19, and so are those with heart disease.)

With many of the things listed, there is something you do to save yourself. With diabetes, it's managing your blood sugar. For fires, it's following code to prevent it and getting out of the building when there is one. You don't run back into a burning building because that's your freedom and people die every day...

My post was about the murder hornet, but I did not explicitly state that.  My point being that when something new appears, people are sympathetic to deaths from it, all the while ignoring issues that have been around for years.

I am also T1D, for almost 41 years.  I actually, according to my first endocrinologist, am living on borrowed time now.  He said that I would not live to be 50 years old and I just turned 50 over the weekend.  While this is an autoimmune disease, you are correct that in many instances, you control your own destiny.  But unfortunately, the result will be death, whether or not that occurs in 2 months or 80 years.  You can do everything correctly but the disease will cause damage and death eventually.  You might forget that you bloused for breakfast nd rebolus, or you may go on Diamondback when your CGM says your blood sugar is 110 and you forget to take your glucose tabs and you get stuck on the MCBR for 2 hours and you plummet to 19.

You mention fires.  Please give those suggestions to the family whose loved ones perished because they heat with a wood stove and even though they do what they are supposed to do, an ember escapes into the attic and burns the house down while the family sleeps.  (happened here in November).  Or the patient who is diagnosed with a glioblastoma.  Or the teacher who develops mesothelioma because there was asbestos in his classroom heating ducts that was disturbed during a renovation.  Or the family whose son was born with fetal alcohol syndrome and is a model person until one day something happens and he ambushed everyone but his older sister who is off at college and kills his parents and younger sister.  Or the farmer whose son is painting the barn while he holds the ladder and gets stung by a wasp.  By reflex, he jerks the ladder away and the son plummets 20 feet and dies of a traumatic brain injury.

It amazes me that earlier in this thread you bemoaned the loss of life from COVID 19, but yet when it is pointed out that other issues kill many many people, you victim blame.

2 hours ago, VekomaRulz said:

I'm guessing the penalty will be similar to anyone with a Diamond or Diamond Elite membership and has to reserve preferred parking. If you reserve it, and don't cancel up to the day before your visit and then don't show up, you lose preferred parking privileges for 30 days.

I actually really like this system, if people like me go to the park very frequently then they can do so. People who don't and want a few days in a row can do so as well. It actively discourages people from booking say, a whole month at a time. Would likely have to be first come first serve as limiting the total number of reservations you can make would violate their own terms & conditions. They might be able to make a limit of say, 5 (with exceptions by calling) reservations at once, which would allow for other days to fill up too.

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I am also T1D, for almost 41 years.  I actually, according to my first endocrinologist, am living on borrowed time now.  He said that I would not live to be 50 years old and I just turned 50 over the weekend.  While this is an autoimmune disease, you are correct that in many instances, you control your own destiny.  But unfortunately, the result will be death, whether or not that occurs in 2 months or 80 years.  You can do everything correctly but the disease will cause damage and death eventually.  You might forget that you bloused for breakfast nd rebolus, or you may go on Diamondback when your CGM says your blood sugar is 110 and you forget to take your glucose tabs and you get stuck on the MCBR for 2 hours and you plummet to 19.

Sorry to hear that, but I am happy that you've beaten your doctor's expectations.  :) I've only been diabetic for 3 years. My struggles have been much smaller than yours, but it's been a rollercoaster, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

It amazes me that earlier in this thread you bemoaned the loss of life from COVID 19, but yet when it is pointed out that other issues kill many many people, you victim blame.

Respectfully, I didn't "victim blame." I offered an opposing viewpoint. 

I also only mentioned fire simply because you mentioned it in this post:

8 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I do care about those other issues that kill many many people. As I've pointed out in the past, this pandemic is competing with those yearly numbers in a fraction of the time. I've gotten snark for saying that before, but I don't think it's something that should be ignored. Regardless, the numbers are significant and that's why many of us are focused on the current pandemic.

No one is saying that cancer, fires, diabetes, and heart disease no longer matter. At least, I'm not trying to say that. But I also believe we shouldn't ignore one potential death because another potential death already exists. (Additionally,  many of us at risk from diabetes, heart problems, and other illnesses are also at risk to COVID-19 because of lower immune systems.)

Maybe more so on social media than here, I keep seeing it suggested that death is a part of life -- which is true, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to slow it down to the best of our ability. 

(Having said all that, I'm more focused on COVID-19 than "Murder Hornets." But at the same time, I really don't want to come across one.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joshua said:

You don't run back into a burning building because that's your freedom and people die every day...

You darn well do if your life---and perhaps your wife and kids---are depending on you to run back into that burning building! Not everyone can just sit back and say, "well, at least I'm alive today". I think most people posting here are in relatively good shape. How would you feel being in one of these 10,000 cars showing up at dawn in San Antonio...just so you can eat today?

sanantone.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

You darn well do if your life---and perhaps your wife and kids---are depending on you to run back into that burning building! Not everyone can just sit back and say, "well, at least I'm alive today". I think most people posting here are in relatively good shape. How would you feel being in one of these 10,000 cars showing up at dawn in San Antonio...just so you can eat today?

You make a fair point. I don't talk about the economic side much, but that doesn't mean I don't care about it. And one of the biggest reasons I don't is it because it is hard for me to convey my thoughts on the subject. I can't help but wonder if perhaps there could've been measures put in place to protect our citizens' health and our economy. But I have no answers in that regard and speculating on it probably won't help now at this stage. :unsure:

• Like 4

@Joshua , maybe the words victim blaming were a poor choice. You said that choices people make determine their fate, which I agree with, to an extent. But the scenarios I mentioned are all real and are all tragic. My interpretation of your posts (and many others on and off KIC) is that all the things that kill us are playing second fiddle to covid 19, when in fact, they kill many more. If all the attention was focused on any one of these issues in a non pandemic time, like covid is now, the problem would be solved.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is how some people look with the way they talk about the mere suggestion of being asked to wear a mask for the benefit of others:

I can't believe Cedar Point makes me wear a strap on my glasses to ride their roller coasters. If that's going to be the policy, they should provide them for free. Under the ADA they can't make arbitrary rules that uniquely affect me and my disability. It's my constitutional right as an American to ride any roller coaster I want without a glasses strap and I don't care if they could fly off and kill someone. The bin of broken glasses and phones in the lines is just fake news. Glasses straps don't do anything because my glasses are great and don't come off. And anyway, if other people don't want to have my glasses hit their face at 120 MPH, they just shouldn't go out to a theme park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

This is how some people look with the way they talk about the mere suggestion of being asked to wear a mask for the benefit of others:

I can't believe Cedar Point makes me wear a strap on my glasses to ride their roller coasters. If that's going to be the policy, they should provide them for free. Under the ADA they can't make arbitrary rules that uniquely affect me and my disability. It's my constitutional right as an American to ride any roller coaster I want without a glasses strap and I don't care if they could fly off and kill someone. The bin of broken glasses and phones in the lines is just fake news. Glasses straps don't do anything because my glasses are great and don't come off. And anyway, if other people don't want to have my glasses hit their face at 120 MPH, they just shouldn't go out to a theme park.

Some of you need to just put on a full-blown bodysuit to ride a coaster, if that's what floats your boat. At a certain point it's no longer about us, it's about you. Do we all need bodysuits to make you happy? Is that next?

• Like 1