Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

17 hours ago, homestar92 said:

Just like the shirts and pants that we've been wearing for nearly the entirety of human civilization that very few people complain about (which, BTW, is something you wear for the benefit of others more than yourself, even if you don't realize that).

:lol:

A world without pants...oh the horror!

7 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

You are trying to win my favor with talk of more Freestyle machines.  :lol:

I have asked this question many times in this thread and no one has ever answered.   Where is hand sanitizer for ~20k people a day going to come from and how much is that going to cost the parks?

I don't know where it's going to come from, but I know where it's going to be dispensed: the Coke Freestyle machines. They weren't using those anyway, right? :D 

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 5:23 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't see masks becoming the new "pants and shirt" where it becomes permanently required. Masks were required during the Spanish Flu and they died out after it. I'm guessing the same will happen here. Masks will never be "normal" in our culture imo. 

To be young again LOL

You never know what may change...I mean the old timers in baseball never thought batting helmets would be a requirement in baseball, and many tried to "hide" it under their hat because they felt like a wimp with it; helmets for football - really says the old timers.

People never thought smoking would be banned in so many places.

People never thought seat belts in cars would be mandatory.  Just think up until 1968, seat belts were not even required to be put in vehicles.  It wasn't until 1984 that the first state made wearing them mandatory.  Ohio wasn't until 1986.

Up until 1989, dentists were not required to wear gloves and face masks...and there was outrage by many in the dental community arguing that people would quit going to the dentist as a result of these measures...

Society changes because of a significant event.  People would never have thought the effects of 9/11 would still happening to this day.  Starting this year backpacks would not have been allowed in the Reds Stadium for example.

Masks may become our new norm, but it doesn't happen overnight.  It may start for employees in contact with customers initially and eventually trickle down to customers.  Or it may not happen at all.

Disney is making baby Yoda masks now, so masks may become a fashion statement like Guess Jeans or Coca-Cola logo'd clothing:P

Or masks may fade out quicker than Betamax...

But we never know what may happen...I mean who would have ever thought people would intentionally swallow Tide Pods or lick toilet seats!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Don't count on self serve drinks this season. I think we'll see the employees fill up the drinks for you this year. 

And they won’t be using Freestyle Machines for that either.

Little Billy, “What are all my choices, again?”  :P

26 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Disney is making baby Yoda masks now, so masks may become a fashion statement like Guess Jeans or Coca-Cola logo'd clothing:P

I think we're already there. Many of my friends and family are rockin' homemade face masks with patterns that compliment their interests and style. Companies would wise to jump in on the trend. 

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

And they won’t be using Freestyle Machines for that either.

Little Billy, “What are all my choices, again?”  :P

At least you'd know both the machines and cups were sanitized :P 

^and Ohio restaurants will not be limited to capacity limits...if a restaurant wants to plexiglass every table and booth and operate at 100% capacity they can...

No additional requirements for food service employees because they are already covered by current health code regulations so they said don't expect to see servers with gloves on...

Bars can also open too, which means that every POS in the state will be able to open May 21st except large places like stadiums or...Kings Island. I can't really see what the next step is besides to allow larger gatherings and amusement, so I imagine at our current rate, we will see another announcement on the 18th or 19th which will allow the next stage to open on the 29th or June 1st.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

Bars can also open too, which means that every POS in the state will be able to open May 21st except large places like stadiums or...Kings Island. I can't really see what the next step is besides to allow larger gatherings and amusement, so I imagine at our current rate, we will see another announcement on the 18th or 19th which will allow the next stage to open on the 29th or June 1st.

Just my 2 cents

I just mentioned to my husband yesterday if things start looking better towards opening, I'm tempted to put in vacation requests for every Thursday & Friday in June and cancel if they don't open. :lol: Same for hotels since most are 24hr notice without penalty.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Disney is making baby Yoda masks now, so masks may become a fashion statement like Guess Jeans or Coca-Cola logo'd clothing :P

Why hasn't Pokemon capitalized on this yet? I would love a Toxicroak, Roserade or Muk mask. Heck, even one of the Gym Leaders (Koga) is a ninja wearing a mask and there are "Ninja Boy" trainers in the games! These type of Pokemon themed masks practically sell themselves (see also Greninja, Pikachu and Eevee)! Get on it Ninetendo lol

And I saw Disney's masks online - they look cool, but no Pete (or other obscure characters I would be interested in wearing a mask of). Also, it looks like they only come in a 4 pack.

Matthew, because....Nintendo.  They think different.

Costco had whole beef tenderloins for $6.19/lb. Wow. Eating good tonight.

If the parks have to limit capacity a reservation system is the only way to do it.   What other choices are there? Lottery?  First come first serve at the gate would be a mess.  

Still sticking to my original prediction of early to mid July - there are so many preparations to accomplish prior to opening from social distancing decals in queues, reformatting food and drink services, blocking off water fountains and every other sink or urinal, figuring out how to sanitizing arcade/game touch points when open to public (maybe games/arcade won’t even open as sanitizing each basketball/game after use is going to be tedious).  Probably about 4 weeks of figuring things out/park prep work/staff training from the first part of June.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, disco2000 said:

Masks may become our new norm, but it doesn't happen overnight.

I think there are a number of reasons to believe that they won't become the *permanent* new normal. One concern is accessibility. People wearing masks is very difficult for the deaf community where people rely on lip reading and facial expression as a critical part of their communication. Which means in all likelihood, the deaf community will be among the first to ditch masks. Then the folks who don't like them, but are wearing them anyway will probably be next because, hey, if they can ditch them we can too. Then community by community, masks will start to disappear. I predict this will happen after the second peak but before the threat is gone.

I hope the six foot distances at grocery checkouts stick around forever though. We could eradicate every pathogen in the universe and I still would prefer people stand six feet away from me. Why? Because some people don't shower and I don't want to breathe in that stank.

I believe that as restrictions are loosened, we will see a series of smaller peaks. I think the next peak will come this summer and will be higher than our current peak. Even, St. Louis, the "model city" in the 1918 pandemic, had its second peak end up a bit higher than its first. Then as we get closer and closer to the "old" normal, we will see a series of progressively smaller peaks, not unlike an old out and back roller coaster.

As with all roller coasters, the odds are much better than not that we will eventually arrive back at the station where we started.

EDIT TO AVOID A DOUBLE POST:

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

blocking off water fountains and every other sink or urinal

They don't really need to block off every other urinal. The universally accepted but unwritten restroom code already mandates that you not use a urinal immediately next to one that is already in use.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The whole "2nd peak", "next peak" thing is an interesting conversation. New York has clearly had their first peak. Indiana? Ohio? Yes, Maybe, No? You can even break it down by county. Tippecanoe County, Indiana has 202 cases with a population of over 190,000. That's about 1 in every 955 people. Meanwhile Cass County, Indiana has 1469 positives and a population of ~39,000. That's like 1 in 26 have it. Because they have a Tyson plant. Both counties only have 2 recorded deaths despite the large discrepancy in positive cases. That might change, but it's also why things are opening up. The key on the death tally is clearly keeping old folks out of harm's way, whatever the positives.

• Like 1

If we assume that having and recovering from the virus results in immunity (anecdotally, this seems to be the case, but there haven't been any controlled, peer reviewed studies yet so we don't know for sure) then places where it was already widespread would be at little risk for a second peak. Take L.A. County, where potentially half the county or more tested positive for antibodies if you extrapolate the random samples. If having the virus brings immunity, then logically, they couldn't have much of a second peak as potentially half of their population has already had it.

It's also tough because we know that for people who are young and have none of the risk factors, it's possible to get this virus and never show any symptoms at all. It's part of what makes it so scary, but it's also part of what gives me hope that we may be at a lessened risk of a resurgence.

My diabetic mother-in-law had a really bad respiratory illness in early February that her doctor was never able to diagnose. It took a couple weeks for her to get better. Was it the novel Coronavirus? Seems possible to me. My wife and I, who are obviously younger and are also less at risk were around her at that time, so is it possible we were exposed to the virus and never got sick? Who knows! Antibody testing is finally starting to become available to the general public, and it could teach us a whole lot about what the next few months are going to look like.

We've obviously been doing not nearly sufficient testing. Intuitively, there are a lot more people who have gotten the virus than the numbers suggest. It will be very interesting if some randomly sampled antibody testing studies are done and can reveal numbers that are a lot closer to our actual reality.

• Like 4

Speaking of the new normal... do ride reservation systems prevent one from "marathoning" a ride? I know Disney parks has both Fastpass and standby lines, but if a ride reservation system comes to the Cedar Fair parks, there probably won't be a standby line for a while because social distancing. Just something to think about...

Marathoning even with reserving could happen it just wouldn't be as quick or immediately after like before.  You might be able to check in to line again once you've gone into the actual queue like disney. Example once they scan your bang for your fast pass line and you enter, you probably still have a ten min wait ish. In that time you can sign up for another pass since the app knows you've used one.  

a reservation like system would likely operate similar as in once your checked into that secondary line to ride you should be able to re enter the virtual queue to sort of expedite the new system. If they are limiting capacity the lines for rides besides Orion probably won't be terribly long. Even if they open under 25% most of the people will probably be enthusiasts etc as people are still choosing home instead of out. Places that have been open a week haven't been swarmed except beaches, but places that have opened at 25\50% people have come but not in mass crowds.

Knotts opened their chicken place and market and you reserve a time slot if you desire to walk up order and I didn't see droves of people but I think it was early and the first day in the video I watched.  Even the videos of downtown la with some things open there's not many people out at all. 

regardless of where we're at with the virus the idiocracy of the govt were under is going to push this country back into opening, the states that are trying phased opening are going to surrender to the a**hat domestic terrorists because there has already been two shootings regarding mask wearing in two totally different states. It's why dewine backpeddled, masks don't hurt anyone but omg you'd think it was razor's you're requesting they wear. I get some can't asthmatics etc have a hard enough time breathing without adding a mask to the mix. But I thinking mid June probably July for the country just saying f it and it is what it'll be. Yes the ideal situation would be to continue stay at home longer etc but it's obvious by the broken support system for those now unemployed they won't make it at this rate and homelessness etc will rise without opening up.  Err live in a very broken system from healthcare to leadership and everyone will just have to choose their risk to life ratio on their own.  

• Like 3