Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Another park statement:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/park-update

The biggest takeaways: 

• Grand Carnivale, our immersive cultural celebration and nighttime parade, is being postponed until 2021
  • Summer Nights, our evening block party event with live music, specialty food and interactive experiences is also now postponed until 2021
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Another park statement:

The biggest takeaways: 

• Grand Carnivale, our immersive cultural celebration and nighttime parade, is being postponed until 2021
  • Summer Nights, our evening block party event with live music, specialty food and interactive experiences is also now postponed until 2021

I wonder if the nightly fireworks will be scrapped too. Or the live shows. Further out I wonder what Haunt and Winterfest look like. Wonder if they decide to delay the opening of Orion like Cedar Point is doing with Snake River Expedition.

17 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Another park statement:

The biggest takeaways: 

CP *ouch*

https://www.cedarpoint.com/park-update

Our 150th Anniversary Celebration, along with its attractions and festivities such as the Snake River Expedition ride, Town Hall Museum and Celebrate 150 Spectacular immersive nighttime parade and show will be postponed to 2021. Our team determined that a celebration of this magnitude must be done right.  In order to observe and respect social distancing, we have made the decision to postpone this much anticipated event until next season.

Special events like Performances in the Park, Spring Youth & Education Programs, CoasterMania!, Frontier Festival, Coaster Campout, Run & Ride and Season Passholder Appreciation Weekend will be postponed to 2021. 

Experiences like VIP, Sunrise, Segway and Boardwalk Cruiser Tours will also be postponed until 2021.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Is it me, or does the CP statement seem to indicate Halloweekends Operations since they say “some of your favorite rides and attractions”?4CCB983D-BBA3-4B01-A340-DAF5F2004A3F.jpeg

Cedar Point Nights FB page replied that customer service is reaching out to group booking and resort hotel bookings. I'd be interested to hear of anyone that has had their hotel canceled and what date they had.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It doesn't sound like they are going to delay Orion to next year. It's already been ready to go pretty much. 

Screenshot_20200508-134549.png

Sooo maybe everyone should get Grand Carnivale themed masks in case we need them ;)

I read that "some" at the top of Jason's Cedar Point update the same way. If they open, I think ride availability will be very much like HalloWeekends Fridays, which is pretty awful. We have a Run Ride (also just canceled) weekend 3 night Breakers reservation (made in January). I figure I'll wait a few days and see if I get any communication before I contact to cancel. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JimParker85 said:

I read that "some" at the top of Jason's Cedar Point update the same way. If they open, I think ride availability will be very much like HalloWeekends Fridays, which is pretty awful. 

Agreed.  Looking like if CP opens it will be a shell of what it normally is.  Disappointing for sure, but that's how the world is this year.

It's a sad commentary or statement to make, but what if as a shell of themselves the people still come out and rock the park to capacity...at some point the board members will say "see we can spend a fraction of the amount and provide a mediocre experience and they will still come out..."

Oh wait many say that is the business model of what Haunt has become:P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

This article indicated Cedar Fair did a pass holder survey...did anyone here get that survey?

I wouldn't buy into what that article says too much. Seeing as how they keep referring to Cedar Fair as "Knott's Berry Farms" owner and not calling them Cedar Fair. They also have a link embedded in that article that says that same "Knott's Berry Farm owner says parks could be closed through the end of 2020. I do not think Cedar Fair has come out and said that.

Wonder if there are not enough reservations for a given day, if the park would remain closed?  Similar to when KI last year suddenly closed early due to heavy rain and lack of attendance.  At some point there has to be a point where it doesn’t make sense to open at a loss.

• Use park reservation system to manage park attendance

27 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

Wonder if there are not enough reservations for a given day, if the park would remain closed?  Similar to when KI last year suddenly closed early due to heavy rain and lack of attendance.  At some point there has to be a point where it doesn’t make sense to open at a loss.

I say if there aren't enough people making reservations, still open the park imo. They usually only close the park when bad weather shows no sign of stopping. 

Sign me up for those days lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I say if there aren't enough people making reservations, still open the park imo. They usually only close the park when bad weather shows no sign of stopping. 

There were several days last year that parks in the chain closed based on weather that never happened or certainly would have stayed open in prior years - several people posted that on the days it happened last year - both here and other social media platforms.  It seemed like they were quick to close on weather days based on number of guests in park.

I seem to recall at least one, but maybe a few, times that KI tweeted out something like a chance of light rain today is a great day to marathon rides...only to then close a few hours later!

I think if the reservation system shows not enough to justify opening, they won't open...especially if all the reservations are pass holders.

• Thanks 1

Blast from the past link: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-cdc-says-americans-dont-have-to-wear-facemasks-because-of-coronavirus-2020-01-30

Actually was only 67 days ago by my count. 67 days ago the CDC, US Dept of Health and Human Services, the Surgeon General, and people at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health were literally saying, "don't bother with a mask". Basically everybody. How quickly times can change.

• Like 2

Kentucky Kingdom released a 10 page document that outlines what the park will look like once given a green light to open. The 10 flip page document maybe gives some clearer details on what KI and CP may be thinking.  While there has not been much info on water parks, this document does have a section on aquatics. (School down to the plan as it is a flip page document)

https://www.kentuckykingdom.com/today

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jimlaheyscar said:

FinallyAgreed.  Looking like if CP opens it will be a shell of what it normally is.  Disappointing for sure, but that's how the world is this year.

So I guess this comfirms no Forbidden Frontier this year? :( Sadly, I don't know if it will come back at all considering it got mixed reviews last year and it probably won't open this year because of the Pandemic. On a postive note, my Forbidden Frontier t-shirt may be worth something someday (though I still plan to keep it for as long as I can)!

Also, if Cedar Point does open, I would still love to go if only to ride Millennium Force for its 20th anniversary! Speaking of anniversaires, it makes sense they are pushing the celebrations back - the 150th was originally going to last 2 years anyway, correct? Also, I wonder if they have any 20th anniversary merch for MF still even though they are scaling down this year? Finally, it looks ike I'll have to check to see what rides are actually open before I go. I've heard that Rougarou sometimes doesn't operate on Friday nights of Halloweekends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winterfestguy said:

Kentucky Kingdom released a 10 page document that outlines what the park will look like once given a green light to open. The 10 flip page document maybe gives some clearer details on what KI and CP may be thinking.  While there has not been much info on water parks, this document does have a section on aquatics. (School down to the plan as it is a flip page document)

https://www.kentuckykingdom.com/today

Temp screening for guests, masks recommended but not required. 

I noticed the aquatics section suggested closing attractions that require grouping.

On 5/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, disco2000 said:

^and Ohio restaurants will not be limited to capacity limits...if a restaurant wants to plexiglass every table and booth and operate at 100% capacity they can...

No additional requirements for food service employees because they are already covered by current health code regulations so they said don't expect to see servers with gloves on...

Since Ohio didn't limit capacity at restaurants, look at shower curtains coming to a restaurant near you soon:P  

What about queue lines...oh the possibilities lol...

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200508/stark-county-restaurant-installs-shower-curtains-to-comply-with-state-coronavirus-orders

image.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Since Ohio didn't limit capacity at restaurants, look at shower curtains coming to a restaurant near you soon:P  

What about queue lines...oh the possibilities lol...

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200508/stark-county-restaurant-installs-shower-curtains-to-comply-with-state-coronavirus-orders

image.png

That sorta reminds me of Great clips lol

• Like 1

We sure like to overthink and make life really difficult in theory world. It's a lot easier and less stressful to wait and see what plans the park will eventually roll out and then freak out. We really have nothing to freak out about right now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk