Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

I saw those cars as well,  was wondering if they are cars from dealerships that  have run out of places to store them. With almost no car shopping at the moment' they are renting space from Kings Island. Way to many of them to be employees and with new cars being shipped in almost all the dealers are overstocked and even in normal times use closed businesses to stock excess cars in Deerfield Township.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snowball said:

I don't think anyone has given a definite answer for those cars. It's still a mystery as far as I've seen. Employee parking is nowhere close to there, so I doubt it's employees. Do they leave at night?

I don't think they leave at night. It looks like same cars have been parked in same spot for weeks.

We've been debating whether to try and book a hotel in August to plan to come down, but the further it goes the less I feel inclined to spend the money. Even if the park reopens, it sounds like it will be a shell of what we'd normally enjoy. It doesn't sound that enticing to drive down four hours from Detroit to wait in longer lines, stand in the summer heat wearing a mask and possibly only have a fraction of the rides/attractions opening. Not that I don't understand 100% why that's the right thing to do; I'm just thinking you'll see a lot of out-of-towners wait a year before making the trip. We're only 2 hours from Cedar Point and I can already say that's out of the question (we prefer KI because it offers more for the family anyway). 

Appointment ride times?  I can understand that for the big E ticket attractions like Orion and The Beast.  But how would that work in Planet Snoopy? 

When the park opens this year, it will definitely be different.  And as a pass holder, the amount of visits you can make for the season might be limited, due to the likely decreased capacity threshold.

• Like 1

As always, don't waste your money.

I can see that is a slogan, but right at the end sounds like “DONT GO!”:P

The ride reservation system could be multi-tiered to possibly accommodate FL and be similar to SIX or completely different.  If for standby it means you can’t make a reservation until you are done with the current one and have to wait 2 hours for your next ride not sure how well that will be received. (Especially when a ride goes down)  If you can have 5 going at once that may be more palatable.  

That is a lot of IT infrastructure to get up and running and tested. I sure hope they didn’t try and create this in-house. If the application crashes then what?  Glitches out and erases your reservation you waited 2 hours or more for? 

Why wouldn’t it work in Planet Snoopy?  Lines form there as well.   What is fundamentally different about the Kite Eating Tree? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

That is a lot of IT infrastructure to get up and running and tested. I sure hope they didn’t try and create this in-house. If the application crashes then what?  Glitches out and erases your reservation you waited 2 hours or more for? 

@King Ding Dong Agreed, I think people vastly underestimate the amount of work for a functional ride scheduling system.  If the quality of the KI app is any indication (*cough* ride wait times <_< *cough*, I promise I don't have corona :D).

I can't imagine the scene when people show up for a ride and it is down briefly causing delays and queuing (which this is supposed to prevent). 

I'd trust someone like Disney to implement this far better (who has massive tracking and data built into their parks, and years of experience implementing various systems) instead of Cedar Fair who is going to be doing this on the fly for the first time.

• Like 2

Correct they'd be better off renting to use an already built system than trying to do in house from scratch. Though the general info structure might be shareable to allow parks to build to their particular needs. The system structure is already proven hence disney but it requires a magic band like tracker to really work and that tech is probably copyrighted specifically to disney etc.  

honestly It would be nice to let them use the hand me down fast pass paper system. Each ride prints you a specific time frame ticket and that's your window to ride. It's set no tech malfunctions. Besides a paper jam I guess lol 

In theory ki could literally print a set amount of time tickets to hand out. For major rides I mean. You go by estimated capacity per hour and that's the amount handed out. Example(I know nothing of true numbers just making an example)  Orion:8 cars by4 so 32 a train times 3 trains = 96 people. Give or take roughly 5 min cycle ( more or less if having to spray or wipe In between each go etc) from load to end run brakes. That roughly 12 trains per hour =roughly 400 riders per hour. With the limits etc they could print 250 tickets for each hour then to allow for distance in queues etc. 

In theory you would be able to go around to each ride collect a time ticket and then your set for distancing and riding. With lower capacity and reservations etc they could have extras to pass out if the lines are low or let people enter etc.  

I'm sure they'll figure something out but lower capacity wouldn't necessarily impact most rides they'd be controlled by the front person just like they check heights test seats etc so they could just limit with a clicker counter how many they let into line and a radio to the exit how many left etc. most of their queues are easily visible to how many are in there etc so limiting shouldn't be too big an issue and use the counter system for out of sight queues like FoF etc. Walmart and Lowe's figured out A way to count control on a handheld unit I'm sure ki can come up with something similar. 

• Like 1

Governor had a question on swimming pools, and said that they would be releasing info on summer activities. This would be in like with the Lt. Gov working on a summer activities group. They say they should have an announcement on Thursday. So maybe we will get the announcement we've been waiting for on Thursday.

• Like 2

Just now, IceePirate said:

Governor had a question on swimming pools, and said that they would be releasing info on summer activities. This would be in like with the Lt. Gov working on a summer activities group. They say they should have an announcement on Thursday. So maybe we will get the announcement we've been waiting for on Thursday.

Hoping for some type of update. We're out of state so it will be heavily influenced by the travel restrictions i.e. 14 days quarantine they expect at the moment.

9 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

It appears Holiday World will open mid June and use an app and system designed by Accesso.

https://www.14news.com/2020/05/12/holiday-world-guests-will-be-able-wait-virtual-lines/

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Any word on how much these types of systems drain a phone battery? 

Just looking at the Accesso website, looks like it could us FL option.

4 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

With the usual Accesso $6.99 transaction fee no doubt.  :P

And charging stations sponsored by Accesso charging $6.99 to charge your phone...

These systems will be a battery consumer - it would need constant access to your location, etc. 

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

And charging stations sponsored by Accesso charging $6.99 to charge your phone...

These systems will be a battery consumer - it would need constant access to your location, etc. 

We don't have pockets that work well for holding phones, be interesting to see how they would handle the "no loose articles" policy and needing a phone to scan into a queue. 

Guess for $29.95 each we can get a band for queuing. :lol:

1 minute ago, PatchesC said:

We don't have pockets that work well for holding phones, be interesting to see how they would handle the "no loose articles" policy and needing a phone to scan into a queue. 

Don't worry, they will soon offer the $69.99 season-long recharging add-on plan:P

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Don't worry, they will soon offer the $69.99 season-long recharging add-on plan:P

Is it good for next season too lol

The band Accesso offers is the same one Volcano Bay uses in Orlando. :unsure:Didn't have very good experiences with those things. Lost payment method 3 times in 1 day, and when I had to get a new band lost my ride queue time. :( 

But that does open Holiday World to utilizing something for the waterpark and have some things going there.

48 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

evicWee don't have pockets that work well for holding phones, be interesting to see how they would handle the "no loose articles" policy and needing a phone to scan into a queue. 

Another point to consider besides storage... what if one doesn't have a smartphone to put the app on? I'm currently writing this post on a tablet (which I could theoretically bring into the park as it amazingly fits in the front pocket of my cargo shorts) and I choose to use a flip phone. However, what about people who don't have any type of "smart device" with apps? Something to think about...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Another point to consider besides storage... what if one doesn't have a smartphone to put the app on? I'm currently writing this post on a tablet (which I could theoretically bring into the park as it amazingly fits in the front pocket of my cargo shorts) and I choose to use a flip phone. However, what about people who don't have any type of "smart device" with apps? Something to think about...

No shoes, No shirts, No smartphone, No service:P

While the battery issue is valid, I am very excited about this. At this point, I would be very happy to just go and sit on International Street and walk the grounds. This is uncharted territory, so we feel things out on the fly.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The CDC states there's no connection or concern for pools and water parks. It's the social distancing that's the tough one. But both the bromine and chlorine nullify covid among other viruses. The only one that seems to outlast is intestinal ;) I could see the wave pools closed but slides etc open as most you could in theory wear masks depending on n materials, people wear glasses etc. unsure on the speed slides as I don't ride those tall wedgie making slides lol XD 

4 minutes ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

The CDC states there's no connection or concern for pools and water parks. It's the social distancing that's the tough one. But both the bromine and chlorine nullify covid among other viruses. The only one that seems to outlast is intestinal ;) I could see the wave pools closed but slides etc open as most you could in theory wear masks depending on n materials, people wear glasses etc. unsure on the speed slides as I don't ride those tall wedgie making slides lol XD 

Public pools will require you to stay within a swim lane/box except to exit the pool and alternate open/closed boxes. :lol: