Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

10 minutes ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Fun Spot in Florida is trying to open this weekend.

Mako has been testing with riders in masks this week.

Lots of Texas parks petitioning to open asap. 

Mount Olympus has moved their opening up to this Saturday. 

Some good news from around the country this week.

I 100% volunteer to test masks (except a gas mask) for some KI coasters, I'll pay all travel expenses, and contribute my time for free. :D:lol:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

Sea World Orlando testing today...

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 2.25.37 PM.png

This is probably how it will be at Kings Island, but I feel that if you are with the your family, you should be able to sit next to your family members and take up a full row. There is no point in sacrificing capacity when family members are going to be standing next to each other all day just to get separated on the ride. I think that people who are not family should be separated though.

• Like 4

Ohio just lifted the stay at home order and made it a strong recommendation. However, there are still restrictions in place. Like still the mass gathering limit is 10. However, travel isn't banned anymore. The LT governor also said he is hoping to address some things on Thursday. Not trying to get my hopes up, but Thursday could be the announcement we are waiting for.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

This is probably how it will be at Kings Island, but I feel that if you are with the your family, you should be able to sit next to your family members and take up a full row. There is no point in sacrificing capacity when family members are going to be standing next to each other all day just to get separated on the ride. I think that people who are not family should be separated though.

This is where DD11 would start questioning riding. She's very much a people person, so always enjoys riding with anyone. Take the "together for X seconds of screams and laughs" and a quick talk with whoever was riding with her, she'd lose interest quick.

1 minute ago, teenageninja said:

I would assume that KI has been given some sort of timeline when they can re-open, based on the fact that Orion has been running again, I've seen WindSeeker up in the air in the morning.

I hope so!!! We should of had the park open for over a month now!

13 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

I would assume that KI has been given some sort of timeline when they can re-open, based on the fact that Orion has been running again, I've seen WindSeeker up in the air in the morning.

I tend to agree here.  The fact they are firing up rides is hopefully a good sign.

In other park news...At least 1 person has been riding Hershey's new coaster recently.  They have been running it a lot lately.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I tend to agree with you here and on the surface it makes sense for a family of four to be able to ride all in a row. However we don’t know what system they are designing and how exceptions like that would impact the system.  For example, if they are only planning on using the outer seats they only need to sanitize those at some interval and the outer seats are obviously easier to manually clean than the inner 2 seats.  It may be the case efficiency overall would decrease by having the inner rows utilized on a ad hoc basis.  Maybe not. 

I am sure they are thinking about those issues and deciding on the best way to handle it to make a bad situation as best they can.  Of course that won’t stop some enthusiasts from knowing how the park should be operating their rides because they know more than the park does.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

I tend to agree with you here and on the surface it makes sense for a family of four to be able to ride all in a row. However we don’t know what system they are designing and how exceptions like that would impact the system.  For example, if they are only planning on using the outer seats they only need to sanitize those at some interval and the outer seats are obviously easier to manually clean than the inner 2 seats.  It may be the case efficiency overall would decrease by having the inner rows utilized on a ad hoc basis.  Maybe not. 

I am sure they are thinking about those issues and deciding on the best way to handle it to make a bad situation as best they can.  Of course that won’t stop some enthusiasts from knowing how the park should be operating their rides because they know more than the park does.

You're likely very much on to something. In situations like Orion, with 4 wide seating, it is going to take far longer to sanitize a train than it will on say, Beast. There's also much to be said for the "but you let them" crowd. There's also the "turn in the people not following the rules" crowd, and I can assure you, there will be people at the park taking pictures of full train rows with the sole idea in mind to turn them into the Ohio government to get KI in trouble for "not following the rules". We all know these folks are out there, and they will strike anywhere they get an opportunity to, no one is safe from them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Guess this may be where 2 per row would have an advantage? Personally don't see them splitting an even group into 2 or 4 different rows so noone is directly next to each other.

15 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

This is a good point, and it will be interesting to see if it is faster to only sanitize the outer seats or sanitize the entire train after each cycle with family members sitting next to one another.

6 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

Guess this may be where 2 per row would have an advantage? Personally don't see them splitting an even group into 2 or 4 different rows so noone is directly next to each other.

Not the ideal situation, but these are not ideal times.  I am certainly not going to get my panties all in a bunch because the park makes some decision about how they want to operate their coaster and it inconveniences me a little bit.  Having my choice of seat and who I am or not near is not the most important thing to me.  For some it may be they can’t have any fun unless it is done exactly how they want it to be. For those people staying home may be the best option.

• Like 3

I kinda like the idea of a outside seats only policy. If you block off the middle seats, then that would allow for less cleaning required. One thing I wonder if the park considered is to run the trains at full capacity, but to put up a sort of sprayer in the break run so that they could dispatch an empty train to get sprayed after each cycle. Would reduce capacity, but it would allow for a more consistent cleaning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

I kinda like the idea of a outside seats only policy. If you block off the middle seats, then that would allow for less cleaning required. One thing I wonder if the park considered is to run the trains at full capacity, but to put up a sort of sprayer in the break run so that they could dispatch an empty train to get sprayed after each cycle. Would reduce capacity, but it would allow for a more consistent cleaning.

Like putting a touch less car wash on the MCBR or the unload station on FoF or MF.   Sounds like it would take reprogramming the control system and a lot of testing to work the kinks out. 

2 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Like putting a touch less car wash on the MCBR or the unload station on FoF or MF.   Sounds like it would take reprogramming the control system and a lot of testing to work the kinks out. 

That would be pretty cool but people would still be on the trains lol They would have to unload everyone  then send it through haha