Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

1 minute ago, Maverick44 said:

That would be pretty cool but people would still be on the trains lol They would have to unload everyone  then send it through haha

That's what I mean, send half the trains through empty and then have a manual activation for each train. Would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Another idea could be to send the trains through and instead of using a car wash, have sanitizers right before the train goes in the station to give it a wipe down while the other train is loading that's in the station.

12 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Not the ideal situation, but these are not ideal times.  I am certainly not going to get my panties all in a bunch because the park makes some decision about how they want to operate their coaster and it inconveniences me a little bit.  Having my choice of seat and who I am or not near is not the most important thing to me.  For some it may be they can’t have any fun unless it is done exactly how they want it to be. For those people staying home may be the best option.

I'd only want a heads up before coming if parties will not be able to sit together and any rides. Picture a kid riding a coaster for the first time, how many do you think would change their mind about riding because they don't have mom or dad next to them to feel better? Mine is 11 now so she's gotten past that phase of needing a safety net. But I remember what those nerves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Like putting a touch less car wash on the MCBR or the unload station on FoF or MF.   Sounds like it would take reprogramming the control system and a lot of testing to work the kinks out. 

But then everything gets wet and CP wouldn't run the rides then cause that is the same as spit of rain:P  Oh wait wrong park forum...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

That's what I mean, send half the trains through empty and then have a manual activation for each train. Would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Another idea could be to send the trains through and instead of using a car wash, have sanitizers right before the train goes in the station to give it a wipe down while the other train is loading that's in the station.

Turn the shed into a car wash :lol:

• Haha 2

What if its a wipe your own seat down. At the entrance of the station you get a wipe. You wipe down the seat and restraint and the ops come by with trash can? I am sure they park would not goo this route because they need to make sure everything is cleaned and can't rely / shouldn't rely on park guests. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

What if its a wipe your own seat down. At the entrance of the station you get a wipe. You wipe down the seat and restraint and the ops come by with trash can? I am sure they park would not goo this route because they need to make sure everything is cleaned and can't rely / shouldn't rely on park guests. 

That's a thought, it would be a way to shift the burden of hiring more staff, I don't see this being implemented, but maybe the park is thinking of doing something along these lines.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

I'd only want a heads up before coming if parties will not be able to sit together and any rides. Picture a kid riding a coaster for the first time, how many do you think would change their mind about riding because they don't have mom or dad next to them to feel better? Mine is 11 now so she's gotten past that phase of needing a safety net. But I remember what those nerves.

I want that notice lol if I can't squeeze the life out of my hubs hand while climbing Diamondbacks first hill then I'll have to either grow a pair or ride later LOLOL :);) 

I'm curious what they find with testing masks on coasters, it seemed they stayed on ok on tron  from the videos of Shanghai. Would be nice to know which ones/styles they found working. People wear glasses with or without tie backs.  I'd ki needs testers im local! :D 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

This is a good point, and it will be interesting to see if it is faster to only sanitize the outer seats or sanitize the entire train after each cycle with family members sitting next to one another.

There is another photo with the first row with people on outsides, 2nd row 3 people, third row 2 people in the middle of the train.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I just expect long long lines when parks open. With cleaning and half full trains.

FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY TO MAKE A POINT!!!!

Capacity for Orion will now fall somewhere between 36 riders per hour and 1,400 riders per hour LOL.

Theoretical capacity is like 1,650 per hour.

Actual prior to Covid would probably be like 1,400 per hour.

Normally seats 32 riders per train.

3 trains.  8 rows.

44 dispatches an hour = 1,408 riders per hour. 

Now deal with Covid.

Do you allow families to ride together?  What about the solo enthusiast?

To maintain 6 feet separation probably really need to skip 2 rows.

So 3 rows of 4 each made up of families, so 12 per train as families of 4. 

3 people per train if only solo riders.

Gotta clean each train.  Drops dispatches to 12 trains per hour (5 minutes to unload, disinfect, reload)

Capacity will range from 36 to 144 riders per hour.  1,440 riders for the day instead of per hour LOL.

This was an attempt (hopefully an extreme attempt) to demonstrate and prepare folks for how much longer it will take to ride your favorite ride.  This should be a worse-case example if the park opens, but one could argue that this is the intent to comply with the current Order of social distancing (some members of the forum probably think this is accurate).  In practicality, just in dealing with all the new requirements, we will probably see riders per hour initially be about 30% of its capacity and raise up to about 50-60% as the employees get used to what they need to do as do the guests (hopefully), and higher capacities if requirements relax more.

These are the types of things the park needs to consider when deciding how best to meet these requirements. 

In addition to all the PPE and social distancing requirements, they have to also consider the riding habits of the guests. 

• Do they eliminate the solo rider as that takes up more space than dealing with a family of four? 
  • Do they have a designated solo row? 
  • Do they eliminate FastLane this year or significantly alter the opportunity for re-rides? 
  • Do they allow Take-two-Tuesday where you stay in your seat and ride the ride twice to minimize people going back around in line to ride again?
  • Will it be impractical to operate some rides or attractions - how do you maintain 6 foot separation in the Eiffel Tower Elevator?

One should go to the park not expecting ride marathons and a substantial increase in ride time waits. 

People come to this forum and complain about the slowness of opening day weekend and long food lines, etc. - well it will get a lot worse now as NOBODY at KI has had experience operating the park or rides or food like they will have to now. 

Hopefully it all goes smoothly, but it will be a different experience.  Expect there to be problems and issues.  If those things bother you, then wait a couple of weeks or month to let them figure it all out.

• Sad 1

This thread got a major cleanup going several pages back. I tried to leave on topic posts, but I may not have been the most successful in that.

Going forward please stay on topic of Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks. Anything off subject may be removed per the mods discretion.

Remember we are here to enjoy talking about KI and parks. We are not here to argue about political views, nit picking face masks, etc.  

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Will it be impractical to operate some rides or attractions - how do you maintain 6 foot separation in the Eiffel Tower Elevator?

I'd imagine like anything else one group/family  at a time and a disinfectant spray in between.  I haven't been on in years could it be done so like groups alternate levels? So to separate people one goes to the bottom layer and the other the top. Split the queue to let people know which level they are in line for? 

11 minutes ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

I'm curious what they find with testing masks on coasters, it seemed they stayed on ok on tron  from the videos of Shanghai. Would be nice to know which ones/styles they found working. People wear glasses with or without tie backs.  I'd ki needs testers im local! :D 

Likely the styles for motorcycle riders? They already go high speeds with without many flying off or blocking their eyes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PatchesC said:

Likely the styles for motorcycle riders? They already go high speeds with without many flying off or blocking their eyes.

True but I don't know many motorcyclists that dive down 80+ degree decline hills but anything form fitting should stay id think. :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

It may be difficult for people like me who has a pretty good beard. I am not sure how well my mask will stay on.  

3rd loop at the bottom for your beard :o or are we going to see alot of beard braids coming back....:blink:

Sea World Orlando is not open to the public.  The photos and videos of people riding Mako with face masks only riding at the ends of the rows are of employees.  It makes sense they would not be seated next to each other, and I think people assuming the middle seats will not be used are reading way too much into this.

I am guessing they will just leave at least one empty seat between groups, and will use every row.  You have 3 or 4 you get the row, where if you are a group of two there is an empty seat then a single, two singles just get the ends of the row.  So worst case two people per a row, should keep capacity of a train at least 50% of normal.  I have yet to see any park which has reopened which left rows empty between guests, I have no idea what good the empty rows would be.

From what I have read the virus is only active for several minutes in direct sunlight.  I wonder if for outdoor coasters it might be just as effective as a wipe down to just cycle the train empty every other cycle.  Run it as full as is reasonable, then lock the restraints quickly and cycle it empty, load an empty train when it returns and repeat.  But this feels pointless, and providing hand sanitizer before and or after riding is likely more effective.

Spreading the disease outdoors is difficult, add reasonable safety precautions like masks, hand sanitizer, frequent hand washing, and cleaning the trains a couple of times a day feels like it would be enough.  Obviously really risky activists should not occur, so no parades, no shows, and limited indoor areas of the park.  But it does seem like most outdoor activity which do not need direct contact between people including amusement parks should be able to operate safely.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

For some it may be they can’t have any fun unless it is done exactly how they want it to be. For those people staying home may be the best option.

This is probably the deal breaker for me, not because I care much about how the park chooses to do things, but because I know there will be plenty of other people who will be upset. 

Kings Island opening will mean a mass gathering of people.  Those that choose to go are less likely to be on the conservative side related to the virus due to this fact.  Now take that group of people and tell them that they have to wait probably 10 times longer than normal to ride a ride, or that they are expected to comply with new rules/regulations that they probably don't agreed with. 

If I were working security for the park, I would be asking for a big raise.

• Like 2