Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

At this point, theme parks opening is something that I'm not sure is even worth it for the industry. As a park, there will always be the "do we put a full staff in today?" "Should we open all of the restaurants today?" "Will we have enough people here to open the freestyle stand by the train?" If you decide to do it, and then have roughly 20 percent customers come in, then you've wasted money. If you didn't do it, and have a huge day, then you've screwed up. It's a huge money thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

At this point, theme parks opening is something that I'm not sure is even worth it for the industry. As a park, there will always be the "do we put a full staff in today?" "Should we open all of the restaurants today?" "Will we have enough people here to open the freestyle stand by the train?" If you decide to do it, and then have roughly 20 percent customers come in, then you've wasted money. If you didn't do it, and have a huge day, then you've screwed up. It's a huge money thing. 

You're not counting on the exclusively of capacity limits and the FOMO phenomenon are you?

15 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

It was actually the LT Governor who announced them. He did say that they only have a handful of stuff left to reopen. That's a pretty good sign if you ask me. I think we will get an announcement on amusement parks in the next couple weeks. 

I think they would just cancel the season if they were knew they would likely stay closed that long. CF said they want to reopen when there is a manageable number of days left in the season. That likely means imo if they can't open mid July, they won't open at all. 

I guess it means what they mean by season?  To me winter fest is a completely different than the main season.  T

8 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Depending how they structure the admission reservation system that part could be a big benefit as they might have really good handle on attendance a week or two out.  There is still the weather to muck it up but that is nothing new.

From my experience, the park has projected attendance numbers for any given day, and those numbers are generally within 1-2000 of what's estimated. So pretty accurate. If weather determines that the park might not have as many people that day, supervisors would call employees telling them not to come in. Or send them home if they're already there.

22 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Rumor has it United States have ordered 300,000,000 doses of a possible vaccine.

Source?

18 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think they would just cancel the season if they were knew they would likely stay closed that long. CF said they want to reopen when there is a manageable number of days left in the season. That likely means imo if they can't open mid July, they won't open at all. 

I could still see them opening for Haunt and Winterfest if they're able to, especially Haunt since those events are huge moneymakers for parks. Then again, I don't know the exact numbers so what do I know?

2 minutes ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

Source?

I could still see them opening for Haunt and Winterfest if they're able to, especially Haunt since those events are huge moneymakers for parks. Then again, I don't know the exact numbers so what do I know?

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/21/world/europe/21reuters-health-coronavirus-astrazeneca-hhs.html

I hope this is true fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

The Orange County Task Force just approved Universal Orlando for a June 5 public opening.  June 1-2 is a Team Member soft open.  June 3-4 is Passholder and invited guests.

*pending Mayor and Governor approval

**masks required for all team members and guests

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

The huge money makers require huge crowds. If the park is not allowed to have or cannot attract huge crowds?  

47 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I guess it means what they mean by season?  To me winter fest is a completely different than the main season.  T

I can see Winterfest happening because it is all about the lights and the atmosphere.  Pretty easy to enjoy it even with social distancing.  Haunt on the other hand, may be a year to skip it.  Keep the park open, with some of the atmosphere, but haunts and scare actors would be tough.

32 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

The Orange County Task Force just approved Universal Orlando for a June 5 public opening.  June 1-2 is a Team Member soft open.  June 3-4 is Passholder and invited guests.

*pending Mayor and Governor approval

**masks required for all team members and guests

***Mist stations closed?

Are they going to ban personal mist fans as well? ^_^ 

22 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

They could do a drive-thru WinterFest...

Like people driving their Yukons through the park?  Or just a light show out in the parking lot?  

We did one of those drive through light shows this past winter at a race track.  Great light show but the experience was really a letdown. 

I can only speak to Indiana, but today the governor slightly accelerated opening things up. In our state we do not have what one would call a health "crisis". It's a situation---we all know it's a situation---but the hospitals by no means are packed. And they certainly aren't packed with Covid-19 people. Holiday World and Indiana Beach are opening in June, and this weekend so is the beach at Indiana Dunes. And it sounds like Universal Orlando is also ready to go. I think cancelling Haunt or Winterfest is premature to say the least. At least if people are kept outdoors.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Like people driving their Yukons through the park?  Or just a light show out in the parking lot?  

We did one of those drive through light shows this past winter at a race track.  Great light show but the experience was really a letdown. 

What I meant was do something like Coney's nights of lights. Drive in the park and see the lights.

9 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

What I meant was do something like Coney's nights of lights. Drive in the park and see the lights.

So like I said drive their big Urban Defense Vehicles through the park that is designed for pedestrians.  Think anyone may plow into a building or something while focused on all the pretty lights?  It is one thing in wide open spaces and another on the narrow windy paths.  But maybe they could haul in a bunch of concrete barriers to protect the buildings.   Idk.  Map out a route you think would work.  

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

It's hard enough to drive around in the park during the day even after going through training, I shudder at the thought of distracted guests driving through at night with no training. No thanks! :lol:

• Like 2

The Drive-thru New Years Eve Party is going to be lit.

Now I could really go for a KI Winterfest Mario Kart map.  Drifting around ET, a shortcut jumping over DB's Splashdown, weaving back and forth on Coney Mall, a little detour through WWC or RFYLCB.   Nintendo needs to make this happen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Universal Orlando was give the official go ahead for their June 5 public opening by Governor DeSantis today!  Masks required.

Orange County's Mayor stated that Disney World is supposed to deliver their reopen plan to the task force at their meeting next Wednesday.