Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

9 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

If I could make money traveling and visiting amusement parks yes. Florida is a good location for that. Otherwise heck no. I love being in central Ohio and within 8 hours of so many parks.

I've been tempted to move, but unless NASA has a 90k position they'll give me without a college degree it's a no go.

Here is a click-bait headline for the Cincinnati Zoo reopen plan where the headline says they plan to reopen June 1, but you read the article and makes no mention of a date (plus Governor has not issued a date allowing them to reopen)... (edit - since the media outlet original posting of their article, they updated it to remove the June 1 date, but it still shows in the URL).

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/cincinnati-zoo-announces-plan-for-limited-reopening-on-june-1

And the official Zoo press release for once they are allowed to open and is subject to change based on any further restrictions the Governor's office requires as a condition for re-opening and says opening date TBD:

http://cincinnatizoo.org/prepare-for-your-zoo-visit/

Edited by disco2000
Media outlet updated original headline to No date, yet link shows a date

All of these clickbait headlines and articles about Cedar Point, The Zoo, Kings Island, etc. saying "REOPENING ON [date]" are starting to really get on my nerves. None of these places know when they can reopen because it's up to the Governor, not individual businesses. The "experts" they sometimes cite are proven wrong time and time again and yet these articles still get published.

4 hours ago, PatchesC said:

Allegiant air has flights out of Cincinnati to Orlando June 5th for $77..... ;)

If Kissimmee Fun Spot opens soon, I'm probably going to do an Allegiant flight.  ~$70 RT for next couple weekends.  I have no problems with Allegiant, especially on a 2hr flight.

I like the way you're thinking here.  I've been debating it for a couple days when rumors started that FS would be open this weekend.

I remember some reports of questionable safety and maintenances practices with Allegiant a couple of years back but haven’t seen anything recent about them.

Doesn’t matter what field you are looking at there are always going to be Doctors Lawyers and Engineers etc. that graduated at the bottom of their class.  One Airline has to have the “worst” safety record.  Doesn’t mean they are unqualified.  :lol:

Thanks for posting that link to information on the zoo, @disco2000! I think it is interesting to see the different safety measures different businesses are implementing in order to reopen.

Also, I thought the "reduced capacity" section was funny as I was remembering going to the zoo at times where it is super dead and I'm one of the only people walking around (the perks of having a pass; the only reason I didn't renew is that it's too far of a drive to make on a regular basis). In fact, I've gotten a Zen Ride on their Carousel and 4D theatre (not in the same day, and I don't remember what time of the year it was). However, I have been there on days where it is crowded; I specifically remember the mass of people crammed in to look at the elephants.

Finally, while I understand reopenings take time, it is a shame that the indoor exhibits (like Wings of the World, Discovery Forest (aka the biodome), Manatee Springs and possibly indoor portions of Jungle Trails) likely won't be opening for a while.

26 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Thanks for posting that link to information on the zoo, @disco2000! I think it is interesting to see the different safety measures different businesses are implementing in order to reopen.

Also, I thought the "reduced capacity" section was funny as I was remembering going to the zoo at times where it is super dead and I'm one of the only people walking around (the perks of having a pass; the only reason I didn't renew is that it's too far of a drive to make on a regular basis). In fact, I've gotten a Zen Ride on their Carousel and 4D theatre (not in the same day, and I don't remember what time of the year it was). However, I have been there on days where it is crowded; I specifically remember the mass of people crammed in to look at the elephants.

Finally, while I understand reopenings take time, it is a shame that the indoor exhibits (like Wings of the World, Discovery Forest (aka the biodome), Manatee Springs and possibly indoor portions of Jungle Trails) likely won't be opening for a while.

The zoo is definately a favorite date spot of mine, got a gold pass so me and the gf can go whenever. Shame that the manatees and reptiles will be closed, I always liked stopping by there and seeing if the "statues" of alligators would move or not.

• Like 1

Even when an attraction opens up in defiance of a Governor order people show up in mass...wonder what a park will look like when they are allowed to open!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hundreds-line-houston-area-waterpark-172847936.html

We kind of already know with Disney Springs, Universal City Walk, and more recently, Funspot all being open. From videos they all seem very sanitary and crowds are following social distancing guidelines.

I'm going to give some extra space to guests ahead of me on the stairs on rides like Banshee, Diamondback, and Mystic Timbers. Honestly though I try not to ride up on folks in line anyhow. A few extra feet of spacing shouldn't be that difficult. Let those microbes (wherever they came from) some room to disperse. :-)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/04/27/can-farts-transmit-covid-19-coronavirus-here-is-what-is-being-said/#529031e9310f

I'm seeing multiple people post on Facebook that Governor DeWine will be on "Meet the Press" this morning and a topic of discussion will be Cedar Point. Didn't see anything about Kings Island but I would think they'd include them as well. 10AM on Channel 5 here in Cincinnati. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hoeter said:

I'm seeing multiple people post on Facebook that Governor DeWine will be on "Meet the Press" this morning and a topic of discussion will be Cedar Point. Didn't see anything about Kings Island but I would think they'd include them as well. 10AM on Channel 5 here in Cincinnati. 

Not that the media is always right, but a TV station is reporting it as well:

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/entertainment/places/cedar-point/meet-the-press-chuck-todd-praises-cedar-point/95-b30af8a3-9ed5-40a2-95d5-2248fb30a70d

On "Meet the Press", DeWine said Cedar Point is an area of interest that has yet to be given a re-open date, but he does not have a date in mind for what he called places of mass gatherings of people to re-open.

He alluded to we need to get more data on places starting to open up and determine the spread and highly recommended people where masks and follow the guidelines/protocols in place for businesses open to help contain the spread.

Now he may surprise us this week with an announcement, but his body language and tone certainly did not come across as someone that had a date in mind and was sheepishly saying he didn't.  If he announces Tuesday an opening date, that dude needs to play poker as he could have a winning hand and act like he has nothing LOL:P

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm starting to think we are looking at July now with what was said. 

Did you notice he called it a place of a mass gathering of people...:P

One has to wonder again if they do re-open this summer - CF reps on the quarterly call indicated how long it would take them to re-open once a date is given and one could take away from that call that they didn't plan on bringing staff in to train until that date has passed...now that thought process could change as we get into June, but if they don't start calling in seasonal staff to start training and open up new job openings soon in anticipation of an opening date, a lack of staff may be the bigger issue in re-opening at some point...

8 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Did you notice he called it a place of a mass gathering of people...:P

Yes I did. I can definitely see how it can be considered a mass gathering of people. Especially after the fiasco that happened in October where they reached capacity. But even after that, I have a feeling Cedar Point will reopen before concerts are held. I think CF is going to try and present to him a plan at some point. 

9 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

That's a shame, I was hoping we would get an announcement this week, but it seems that it might come in the following week. July 1st is looking more and more likely now. If that's the case, I may take a trip out to Holiday World here.

I'm starting to doubt an announcement will come the following week either just because he made it clear that they have absolutely no plans to open the park right now or even announce a date. 

15 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

That's a shame, I was hoping we would get an announcement this week, but it seems that it might come in the following week. July 1st is looking more and more likely now. If that's the case, I may take a trip out to Holiday World here.

It's my backup plan. No waterpark until July is the only thing I'd dread. Still holding out hopes for mid June for Ohio openings, but there is a point people will choose to spend their money elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I'm starting to doubt an announcement will come the following week either just because he made it clear that they have absolutely no plans to open the park right now or even announce a date. 

The one thing about DeWine is that he seems to be a straight-shooter and in his previous press conferences when a reporter would ask him something like when could salon's or daycare open and he would say he wasn't ready to make an announcement on it or he would have an announcement on it later in the week, you knew then he had a date in mind but wasn't ready to share it.  Following that pattern, it is clear he doesn't even have a date in mind yet concerning amusement parks.  Or he has a great poker face regarding this announcement and should make an appearance on the World Series of Poker:P

What is more telling is a reporter asked him last week about his thoughts regarding the Ohio State Fair (that happens end of July to early August) cancelling for 2020 and DeWine said it was a good decision.  A follow up question then centered on County Fairs and he gave an answer alluding to they will probably follow what the Ohio State Fair had done but that he hoped that at least the 4-H competition aspect could occur in some form or fashion if a procedure could be developed to allow it to do so.

I get the feeling that he doesn't have a desire to open up anything he considers a mass gathering of people anytime soon.  Now pressure from other avenues may change that or force his hand, but as of right now, it isn't looking promising.  Then throw in the fact that a lot of KI seasonal employees probably took jobs elsewhere and would they give that up for less than a month of daily operation, coupled with universities like Notre Dame announcing they are starting the fall term two weeks early to try to get fall semester completed in-person, and the candidate pool of people eager and wanting to work there shrinks.  Yes we have lot's of people unemployed, but that doesn't mean they are required to apply or work there and a lot of them probably make more on unemployment than they would working at KI.

6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Another thing I am thinking. Isn't the LT Governor the one who is addressing this as well as the other reopenings? Maybe it is currently in the works and hasn't gotten to the point where they can start talking about it with the governor yet. Just my thoughts. I very likely might be wrong. 

I thought something like this was possible given the fact that when they announced pools re opening, they said Amusement Parks and Waterparks were not included in the guidance but would have guidance in “The near future” there’s a tweet somewhere we’re Husted actually said that but I couldn’t find it. If I do I’ll post it.