Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

What day did Cedar Point hit capacity? Cause I remember I went there one weekend in October and there were 2-3 hour waits for everything and 4-4.5hr for SV. I went during my Universities fall break Oct. 10-13 I thought at the time it was just a bit busy cause of the fall break for everyone, but I figured it was fairly normal for a weekend in October.

5 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

What day did Cedar Point hit capacity? Cause I remember I went there one weekend in October and there were 2-3 hour waits for everything and 4-4.5hr for SV. I went during my Universities fall break Oct. 10-13 I thought at the time it was just a bit busy cause of the fall break for everyone, but I figured it was fairly normal for a weekend in October.

Well people say it hit capacity, but the park officially said it never hit capacity - it was October 19th - but basically every Saturday in October was what most would consider near capacity.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/11/06/ceo-cedar-points-parent-company-says-changes-will-be-made-parking-gold-pass-sales-spike/

9 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/05/cedar-fair-considering-capacity-limits-virtual-queuing-in-reopening-of-cedar-point-other-parks.html

This is the closest thing I've read of a CP person referencing capacities

Brian Witherow, executive vice president and chief financial officer is referenced as saying

On its busiest days, with perhaps 50,000 guests in attendance, Cedar Point might operate at 90% of total capacity, he said. Average daily attendance, however, is about 50% of that, he said.

So if you calculate 50K is 90%, then about 55K is ballpark 100%

I think that was a marketing fluke because like ki they sell passes in Aug use now and next year etc. CP gold being sold like that for the first time just asked for it imo. Also due to their 150th etc made it even more of a hot item.  They just didn't expect that people would be so gung ho to go there and overwhelmed the place. 

a reservation system would help that initial opening but it's been hit or miss of people rushing to congregate. With the thought of requirement of masks or longer wait times etc is enough to keep many away to not deal with the hassle. But then again many swarmed beaches etc at least at ki it's fairly open that you can get around and not be up peoples Space especially with controlled capacity. 

i bet it'll be mid June to July 1st. Unfortunately they need the tax revenue to start coming back in or our cities will receive more cuts than they already have and then things will close permanently. Many city pools aren't opening more due to budget than health. Trying to recoup or save to budget things in the fall like leaf collection schools stuff etc. Miamisburg admitted theirs reason was due to budget. 
here's hoping for some good news this week. 

Based on his interview on "Meet the Press" and his demeanor and approach during his press conferences, I'm thinking DeWine is going to wait until closer to Father's Day to decide on the rest of the openings so that he can see what happens around the country and in Ohio with things opening up.  Since the "magic number" seems to be 14 days (as in places have used 14 days for self-quarantine purposes), I think he wants to let science guide his decision, so let the current places be open for more than 14 days to allow a cycle of people to go out and then re-evaluate in about a month.  I just think he would have said an announcement would be soon if it were any closer.

21 hours ago, PatchesC said:

I've been questioning how much the states are working together as well. I hadn't heard of anymore CP properties canceling hotel reservations past June 15th, and can still book from then out on the site. Definitely not a confirmation of date but if dates past that start to cancel as well, we may be further into summer. Also with Great Wolf Lodge at June 14th, Kalahari June 5th. You figure at least the governor should have to announce something about the status this week with Kalahari opening being so close.

Holiday World is set for June 14th -16th for passholders, and public the 17th. 

Just checked the Hotel Breakers booking and can't get anything before July 1st.  Opening July 1st in my opinion would be terrible.  Having the first weekend open the July 4th holiday would only see increased crowds which would equal increased problems.  I my opinion if they are looking at July 1st, best make it July 8th for a soft open and July 10th for all.  Having too many people too soon would look bad for optics as well as increase the spread.  But I could be wrong....

24 minutes ago, robintodd said:

Just checked the Hotel Breakers booking and can't get anything before July 1st.  Opening July 1st in my opinion would be terrible.  Having the first weekend open the July 4th holiday would only see increased crowds which would equal increased problems.  I my opinion if they are looking at July 1st, best make it July 8th for a soft open and July 10th for all.  Having too many people too soon would look bad for optics as well as increase the spread.  But I could be wrong....

I'm booked for July 10th-16th for my 40th Birthday, would have been the first I've been able to celebrate since I turned 21. Then we were supposed to be at Orion First Rider since the kid managed to meet the goal (poor kid busted her butt). So it's stressing me out waiting for answer what the heck is going to be done, if or when. Can't pull the kid from school and hers is scheduled to start Aug 8th :wacko:

I'm not sure of CP property capacity but dont see them as more than 20-25% of total park capacity if every room and occupancy is met. 

14 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Not trying to be silly on a serious topic here, but I have a question:

If a fart can escape what you are wearing, why should masks be able to work?

Based on molecule size.  It is why it can't stop a fart but is fairly effective against a shart:P (kinda like a sneeze lol)

A topic for chemistry class you can ask lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8275855/amp/Professor-answers-question-jeans-stop-fart-mask-prevent-coronavirus.html

29 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Based on molecule size.  It is why it can't stop a fart but is fairly effective against a shart:P (kinda like a sneeze lol)

A topic for chemistry class you can ask lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8275855/amp/Professor-answers-question-jeans-stop-fart-mask-prevent-coronavirus.html

If I were to ask that question to my biology teacher, she would take it too literally...

I know requiring all guests to wear face masks is controversial, but for the most part, Six Flags’ new practices they are putting in place to limit the spread of COVID-19 look REALLY nice. Things like virtual queuing, high tech metal detectors that can scan bags, and increased mobile ordering will be very helpful to guests now and after the pandemic. While we don’t know when the pandemic will be over, one thing is for sure... theme parks will be better equipped for the future with better technologies that better satisfy their guests. Here is Six Flags’ official video on their new policies!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I know requiring all guests to wear face masks is controversial, but for the most part, Six Flags’ new practices they are putting in place to limit the spread of COVID-19 look REALLY nice. Things like virtual queuing, high tech metal detectors that can scan bags, and increased mobile ordering will be very helpful to guests now and after the pandemic. While we don’t know when the pandemic will be over, one thing is for sure... theme parks will be better equipped for the future with better technologies that better satisfy their guests. Here is Six Flags’ official video on their new policies!

I saw they weren't going to separate small parties. The temp scan apparently accepts hats also?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PatchesC said:

I saw they weren't going to separate small parties. The temp scan apparently accepts hats also?

It looks like this is the case. I think it is a good call to let parties to remain together as long as they separate people from different parties. I also think the temperature scan technology will accept hats.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

With reduced capacity in the parks and more frequent sanitation, will fastlane be available and it so, will it even be worth it (as those in the FastLane line will still be subject to delays)?

I’d venture to say yes, Fastlane is a huge money maker for the parks and I’m guessing with limited capacity the profit margin will be very slim so they’d like want a way to maximize guest in park spending.

18 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

How do the temp scans works of your sunburnt?

Good question. My guess is the scanners will be a screening tool with manual screening if you are flagged.  I don't see them just dropping the booby trap floor out on you if you scan high. :lol:

13 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

I’d venture to say yes, Fastlane is a huge money maker for the parks and I’m guessing with limited capacity the profit margin will be very slim so they’d like want a way to maximize guest in park spending.

That will be interesting as well.  Will FL holders need to virtual queue or just get in FL line or just get priority.  If the virtual queue system prioritizes FL holders what will be the algorithm.  Has the potential to make the whole system more transparent or less.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Good question. My guess is the scanners will be a screening tool with manual screening if you are flagged.  I don't see them just dropping the booby trap floor out on you if you scan high. :lol:

I'd pay extra to see a booby trap floor :lol:

• Haha 3

This video is only SPECULATION.  But says CW may open betweeen July 1st - 15th.  With 9am-midnight hours split in two sessions by reservation, limited to 10k patrons, half restaurants open, bathrooms closed periodically for cleaning, no SplashPark.  Again, this is just SPECULATION.

• Like 1