Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

48 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

@Hawaiian Coasters 325 Unless something has changed in the last few days Maintenance and some security are the only ones on premises.  If you worked in maintenance and there was nothing to fix what coaster would you pick to ride? :P

Aren't maintenance the ones who test rides before they are certified and ops are trained and of course opened each year? 

And if they are not able to open, I am sure rides are like other pieces of machinery (cars, HVAC, etc.) and that it is good to run them periodically so that sensors and valves and hoses and other components do not rot away.  It really is surprising how quickly components can go bad after just a year of neglect or not being used.  I have an older tablet that I hadn't used in about 6 months and it won't turn on even plugged in or take a charge now - light stays red after days of being plugged in.  Find anyone with an older vehicle that was running fine and they let it sit a year - if it even starts, dash lights usually start coming on just from simple neglect of letting them sit a year unused.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Aren't maintenance the ones who test rides before they are certified and ops are trained and of course opened each year? 

Yes.  But there are no ride ops currently.  You are going to be a ride op, correct?  Are you there training?

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yes and no I'm not training lol. Do the ride ops test the current rides before opening day or do the maintenance people start? 

You probably know more about it than I, but I imagine the ride-ops train heavily prior to opening day and maintenance go fix stuff.  I feel like we are talking past each other here. :D

1 minute ago, King Ding Dong said:

You probably know more about it than I, but I imagine the ride-ops train heavily prior to opening day and maintenance go fix stuff.  I feel like we are talking past each other here. :D

Yes they do train. They have specific training days for certain rides usually. However, I'm talking about once trains are put on the track does maintenance get the ride up and running first and do some test runs before ride ops can train. Btw I'm not working a coaster. I'm working the Eiffel Tower. 

6 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Yeah, I think maintenance is the first one to train on the ride.  They need to know it better than anyone else.  Someone else can probably explain better the actual progression of who does what when. 

Could always get hired to find out lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chuck norris said:

Dewine hasn’t even mentioned amusement parks... let alone hinted at a plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One could argue that a museum or zoo could open first because it would be a lot easier to control crowds with a reservation system and a defined path for visitors to follow to see the exhibits and attractions.  An amusement park like KI would be a little harder to implement - most will want to go to Orion, and developing a defined path of rides to ride in a particular order would be difficult to manage.  What if you don't want to ride some of the rides on the defined path LOL.

The Cincinnati Zoo specifically requested The Enquirer to ask DeWine when zoos can reopen but his office did not make anyone available to comment for their story.  He is a big media guy and believes in Freedom of the Press, so that coupled with his response on "Meet the Press" should indicate he is not close to making a decision.

A DeWine spokesman said zoos are also considered large venue gatherings, akin to baseball games. DeWine has said such gatherings – where it can be hard to prevent people from congregating – will be among the last to resume. 

I suspect it will be some time before we hear anything from the Governor's office.  I am thinking around Father's Day so he can evaluate if we see a spike in cases that may pop up from venues that have re-opened and got people going in and out of these places and get past the "magic number" of 14 days (as in most states required a self-quarantine of 14 days).  I think if he is pressured for a response he will say they are not opening this year, so maybe giving him time to evaluate the science of the re-openings may afford him the opportunity to announce a day they can open.  Now whether they decide to open or not at that date is another story.  Much past July 4th, CF may decide it isn't worth the cost and effort.

14 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

You guys have any news on Carowinds? My family may be planning to go there near the end of June when we go on vacation to Myrtle Beach.

Think North Carolina needs to be at phase 2 maybe before reopening at reduced capacities which is 2-3 weeks after phase 1. I don't know what they are at right now.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://files.nc.gov/governor/documents/files/NC-3-PHASE-PLAN.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjyxM6F0tTpAhW0Ap0JHbAsByQQFjAGegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1D3CFBwKokEp8v908xlQM5

12 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

How does that work with Carowinds as they are in both Carolinas?  Is one a controlling authority?

Each state has ride inspectors and signs off on rides within their state.  A couple (maybe just Fury?) rides reside in both.  Not sure how those are handled. 

Both must agree to opening plans if/when that happens.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

I think they are almost to phase 2

North Carolina started phase 2 on May 22nd at 5pm. Phase 3 may start June 26th but it may be pushed back, when asked about water parks, the Governor or Mindy Cohen(NCDHHS) responded with “That sounds like phase 3.”, however I can’t remember which one said it.  

2 hours ago, CoasterFan3180 said:

Conneaut Lake Park has announced the cancellation of its 2020 season.

http://www.newconneautlakepark.com/2020-season-update/cancellation-of-2020-season.cfm

This may be a sign of things to come for small regional parks. Folks have been frightened to a point where you really have to weigh the likelihood of people actually showing up at the parks. If they think that people aren't going to come, they won't open, because it will end up costing more to open than to actually just call the season a loss and move on. It's a sad thing to think of, but it's a reality. The fear has been ingrained in folks now, and I'm watching as things are opening here in Indianapolis, and seeing that people are coming out, people are moving around a bit, but there is still a strong "I'm not willing to risk it" that's floating around. 

According to this article, the Travel & Tourism Advisory Group submitted guidelines to the governor 2 weeks ago. So now we know that the whole "it's being worked out in groups" thing is nothing more than him hiding behind the curtain so to speak. I'm not saying I don't disagree with his decision, but I would like a lot more transparency when it came to these matters. He is essentially lying to the public by saying that the advisory groups are still working when in fact, they've submitted their plan 2 weeks ago. With the addition of businesses in that sector already announcing tentative opening dates for June 15th and 30th in some cases, I feel like he's gonna be backed into a corner sooner or later.

It's also an interesting read, because the article specifically goes into detail about what restrictions we might expect. Things like one way entry and exits, off limits areas, among other things.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/05/ohio-tourism-industry-losing-patience-with-gov-mike-dewine-lack-of-timetable-for-reopening-zoos-museums-amusement-parks.html

I think that a date of June 14th or around there would be good to announce. It would be in line with Indiana and would prevent Holiday world and places like that from getting practically overrun even with capacity requirements.

EDIT: I think that this is why we've been seeing a lot more testing on rides recently. They've submitted their plan, so they're probably working to implement it on the assumption that it's going to be put in place.

• Like 2