Coronavirus Impacting Theme Parks

Hawaiian Coasters 325

3 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Elevated temperatures are not always present either, so while a great screen tool it is very imperfect. Are any of you certain that no KI employee would do the same if they really needed the money?  “Welcome back riders, how was your ride!”  

That's going to be anywhere, especially if the symptoms are mild enough that they think it's just allergies or something else.  And I don't blame them, it's clear the systems meant to help aren't in any hurry ( unemployment, 1st stimulus checks etc many still waiting) to actually help. 

the goal was never to stop it completely just control how fast. So that our healthcare system isn't overwhelmed more than it already is.  More people wearing masks would help but that's almost a moot point now. 

• Like 1

The bigger problem is many states unemployment programs were developed in COBOL, an Eisenhower-era computer language.  Probably not many on this site haven't even heard of the program.  It is so old there are more COBOL programmers in retirement than there are in IT departments LOL.  States have put out an all-call to anyone knowing that language to help them.  The programs simply couldn't keep up with the demand.

I know many in the service industry that were fortunate enough to get processed through unemployment and were actually receiving more in unemployment than they do working.  But many people in all business sectors were also seeing this benefit of making more in retirement than when employed.  And of course, many more are still waiting for their first unemployment check.

Even though the Orders are clear when an employee shouldn't work, as you pointed out, the fact of the matter is if they think it is allergies, a lot will continue to work even though per the Order they shouldn't.  Currently, there are no federal legal requirements for paid sick leave, but many employers have began to temporarily offer sick time for self-quarantine purposes.  Many employees are not aware their employer now offers that benefit, or they are afraid of retaliation and being let go if they use that time.

Unfortunately, many in the service industry still fall in the category of being off work for two months, never received their unemployment, and work for an employer not providing sick leave.  Now that they are back working, they may be more likely to work even when showing symptoms.  Greater Cincinnati has it's first reported case of an employee working sick at the Big Ash Brewing restaurant and has shut down temporarily due to this employee testing positive.  I expect these stories will become just as common as the viral videos of people not following social distancing.

As @King Ding Dong alludes to, what happens to a KI when the employee checking your restraints and has the "welcome back riders, how was your ride" spiel mic tests positive - will KI have to shut down for two weeks?  Just that ride/rides in that employee's rotation?  What about a guest that tests positive within 14 days of attending KI - will they self-disclose to KI so that the park can try to track down everyone that may have come in contact with that person?  Will that person need to remember what time they rode rides so that the employees on shift at that time can be tested/self-quarantine?  Wait until the first case at an amusement park and then keeping a diary of your day and what time you were where may become the norm?...

11 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

The bigger problem is many states unemployment programs were developed in COBOL, an Eisenhower-era computer language.  Probably not many on this site haven't even heard of the program.  It is so old there are more COBOL programmers in retirement than there are in IT departments LOL.  States have put out an all-call to anyone knowing that language to help them.  The programs simply couldn't keep up with the demand.

I know many in the service industry that were fortunate enough to get processed through unemployment and were actually receiving more in unemployment than they do working.  But many people in all business sectors were also seeing this benefit of making more in retirement than when employed.  And of course, many more are still waiting for their first unemployment check.

Even though the Orders are clear when an employee shouldn't work, as you pointed out, the fact of the matter is if they think it is allergies, a lot will continue to work even though per the Order they shouldn't.  Currently, there are no federal legal requirements for paid sick leave, but many employers have began to temporarily offer sick time for self-quarantine purposes.  Many employees are not aware their employer now offers that benefit, or they are afraid of retaliation and being let go if they use that time.

Unfortunately, many in the service industry still fall in the category of being off work for two months, never received their unemployment, and work for an employer not providing sick leave.  Now that they are back working, they may be more likely to work even when showing symptoms.  Greater Cincinnati has it's first reported case of an employee working sick at the Big Ash Brewing restaurant and has shut down temporarily due to this employee testing positive.  I expect these stories will become just as common as the viral videos of people not following social distancing.

As @King Ding Dong alludes to, what happens to a KI when the employee checking your restraints and has the "welcome back riders, how was your ride" spiel mic tests positive - will KI have to shut down for two weeks?  Just that ride/rides in that employee's rotation?  What about a guest that tests positive within 14 days of attending KI - will they self-disclose to KI so that the park can try to track down everyone that may have come in contact with that person?  Will that person need to remember what time they rode rides so that the employees on shift at that time can be tested/self-quarantine?  Wait until the first case at an amusement park and then keeping a diary of your day and what time you were where may become the norm?...

Businesses aren't currently required to close for 14 days if they have an employee test positive.  Most likely what will happen is the employee will have to be off for 14 days, have at a minimum one and probably two negative COVID-19 tests before returning to work.  Big Ash Brewing is literally under 5 minutes from my house.  They are requiring all employees to be tested.  It would be impossible for them to find everyone that person had contact with and it's a HIPAA violation to say their name, so hopefully they didn't transmit to anyone else.  They likely would require everyone everyone on that team that works with this individual to take a test as well.

Ultimately, it's going to fall on guests/customers to determine if the risk is worth the reward.  You are seeing that in general.  The Skyline I visit every Thursday for lunch at work has been empty the past two weeks, when it's generally at capacity at lunch time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

That I did know, I know it's not meant to handle such a mass load at one time but not wanting to get political that whole system could have been skipped with better stimulus program using the irs system already in place. There had no issues giving the big boys their checks.  :) :D  but that's why I wouldn't blame anyone trying to just put money in their pocket to help themselves get better. 

edit to add: teenage ninja pointed out is hard to track- my BIL wasn't notified until the dude was tested on the boat and found positive but had spent one day in his barracks. So he had to be tested etc but unlike him who has strict goings and coming on base a reg joe may come into contact with who knows until he was notified if given the same situation.  Tracking will be hard especially as things open up more and more. 

Governor Office Press Conference Updates:

Regarding fairs, the working group (task force) came up with a protocol to allow the local county fair board to work with their county health department to develop a plan for the 4-h junior competitions to occur, except for livestock - so photography, etc. can happen. 

Whether a County Fair happens is now up to the local level.  All social distancing and other requirements still apply for a fair and any that already exist that overlap like food are still in effect.  He hopes that if a county fair doesn't occur, he hopes they can still figure out a way for the local 4-h to continue.

4 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Governor Office Press Conference Update:

Regarding fairs, the working group (task force) came up with a protocol to allow the local county fair board to work with their county health department to develop a plan for the 4-h junior competitions to occur, except for livestock - so photography, etc. can happen. 

Whether a County Fair happens is up now up to the local level.  All social distancing and other requirements that already exist that overlap like food are still in effect.  He hopes that if a county fair doesn't occur, he hopes they can still figure out a way for the local 4-h to continue.

Does KI fall under fairs?

2 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Does KI fall under fairs?

Still waiting to see what he says...so far he has pulled fairs out of the entertainment/attractions category like he did for bowling alleys.  But they were a different business sector per task forces set up under the entertainment/attractions category.  Stay tuned.

Reporting asking question about amusement parks and major league baseball.

Governor said he has talked to Reds and Indians and MLB.  He said he is waiting for them to come back with a date and then decide what to do based on their plan.

Amusement parks, zoos, etc. he said he will try to address it next week.

13 minutes ago, bengals fan said:

sounds like an announcement of an announcement !

According to my "communication" and presentation class supposed to "tell you what I'm going to tell you", then "tell you", and finally "repeat what I told you".

So guess we are at phase 1 of communicating? :D:lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

That’s a very interesting point. That could pose very problematic with the spread of the virus. However, nobody has asked this question, what if it’s the park’s signature ride?

19 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

That’s a very interesting point. That could pose very problematic with the spread of the virus. However, nobody has asked this question, what if it’s the park’s signature ride?

It shouldn't be that big of an issue, they could just sanitize, and bring in other employees who are crossed trained on the ride.

53 minutes ago, bengals fan said:

sounds like an announcement of an announcement !

I just listened to the actual press conference and having a bit of doubt about next week announcement. The Q about parks at the 35min mark isn't too clear if he means an announcement or not. 

"As far as amusement parks, zoos, ect. we are going to try to address that next week. That's still being worked on so we'll be back in touch with everybody next week." :blink:

Almost sounds like they plan to talk with the tourism group next week, not necessarily announce anything to the public. 

21 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

It shouldn't be that big of an issue, they could just sanitize, and bring in other employees who are crossed trained on the ride.

In some cases, symptoms show after a week. How can one say that exposing guests to COVID-19 for a week is no big deal, when they physically have to check lap bars?

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

In some cases, symptoms show after a week. How can one say that exposing guests to COVID-19 for a week is no big deal, when they physically have to check lap bars?

The science is leaning towards length of exposure being a important factor in transmission. That is not to say short exposures are completely safe.  So in the case of ride-ops, they are actually more in danger assuming multiple short exposures have a cumulative effect.   A guest may get a small number of short exposures as they are only in contact with ride-ops a small number of times but a ride-op is being exposed to hundreds of guests each day.  

1 hour ago, IceePirate said:

In other words ride-ops are expendable?  Got it.  :o

1 hour ago, bengalsguy23 said:

Is there any chance we see contactless restraint checks like Disney does? Does anyone know the reason most parks do hand checks? Is it state legislation, company policy, for insurance reasons or something else?

Probably at least insurance reasons and company policy if not state legislation also.

15 minutes ago, IceePirate said:

Probably at least insurance reasons and company policy if not state legislation also.

They are self-insured.  More company policy and iROC reasons.

Regarding restraints, they could make that contactless and that is a possibility for many of the rides.  The reality is because of the lawsuit crazy society we live in is part of the reasons for these restraint checks.  It is posted and should be the rider's responsibility to know the rules and guidelines of the ride and obey them. I know the lapbar came down the required amount and that my seatbelt is secure and having a speed check by an employee doesn't make me feel any safer.  Yet I witness on almost every trip a rider that thought the seatbelt was optional on one of the rides I am in line with, thus slowing the process down.

I don't know this for a fact for every ride and I am sure there are exceptions, but I know most of the newer roller coasters cannot dispatch if the lap bar/restraint is not secured, so the employee speed check is more for checklist and liability reasons and redundancy than anything else. Now I do realize that none of the seatbelts have this feature, so they are checking that, but you could have guests prove that too.

I get into my vehicle and strap my seatbelt on and never has anyone done a pull on it to insure that I secured it properly, yet statistically, one is more likely to be injured or die in an automobile accident than an amusement park ride accident...I always wear mine, but I have been told a dash light comes on if you don't LOL.

1 minute ago, bengalsguy23 said:

^^from my knowledge no. You would handle it the same way Disney does. There’s a strap on the seatbelt itself which the guest would pull on to prove to the ride op that the seatbelt is fastened. 

Didn't paramount used to have you pull your own seatbelt? I seem to remember that being the case